ES3

Updated February 24, 2015
Updated February 24, 2015
2.1

Dennis Senovich

Not for the faint of heart

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in York, PA
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in York, PA

I have been working at ES3

Pros

The best reason to work here is that there is job security. They also have a very good 401k plan.

Cons

Some of the challenges of working here are your peer, employees and upper management. Each department is divided from the other.

Great fast-paced workplace, helps get out of debt or push forward.

Former Employee - Order Selector in York, PA
    Former Employee - Order Selector in York, PA

I worked at ES3

Pros

Great pay to begin with, you basically decide what your paycheck is going to look like. Great parking area so you won't have to drive 5 minutes to find a parking space.

Cons

Management is basically brainwashed, although most of the supervisors are former order selector or loaders they basically forget what the regular struggles are and put the "blame" on you for every error. There is also a lot of preference with certain workers. Bad scheduling usually you will be assigned a weekend day off but chances of you being off are slim.

Make it a little more worker oriented.

Very worst experience, won't recommend to anyone

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Keene, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Keene, NH

I worked at ES3 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing to consider as Pros

Cons

I worked in IT, which has CIO from parent company C&S wholesale grocers, and most leaders are telugu language speaking from India, and I felt that they have upper hand for their race. Also leaders are not technical so technically strong developers have hard time proving their skill and so no growth for right people.

no use, they wont' listen

The Stuff of Legend is only that--Legend

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Keene, NH
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Keene, NH

I worked at ES3 full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have to say that the best thing about working here was that the pressure formed great bonds with co-workers. Most of these crumble after leaving, because you managed to 'get out'. That said, while there, it was one of the greatest things ever. Everyone was in the same boat. Oh, and the vending machines accepted credit cards.

Cons

Half-height cubicles; what felt like a 2-to-1 management ratio; and the need for a VP signature on everything up to and including bathroom passes. Scope creep like there's no tomorrow (and you will be told there isn't; that tomorrow has been cancelled.)

I direct this comment directly to the patriarch: Sir, I've heard it said from countless individuals who've worked for you over 20 years that your company didn't used to be like this. In my time with the company--limited by comparison though it was--I observed several long-term employees ostracized for petty violations in an effort to usher them out the door because they attempted to warn management of various folly-ridden ideas that had already been attempted, and failed--sometimes years prior. Though I'm sure the reason was to eliminate the drain on company resources--from a strictly financial perspective, this makes total sense--it doesn't seem to hold up to the legacy your family has cultivated prior to the weighty-middle-management crisis you're grappling with today. Some of your 'lifers', sir, said you used to come right down and speak with them directly, as the people on the front line, and get their perspectives on why things would (or would not) work the way management expected. It's one of the things that by all accounts made you great. Sadly, sir, It is my understanding that this no longer appears to be the case. You've become isolated and abstracted by layer upon layer of useless middle management, each looking to shake things up or make their mark by making waves that attempt to cut through the noise of every other middle management member's attempts. You've lost many of your truly dedicated staff members to retirement, firing, or worse, and can only reap the benefits of the knowledge and experience of a few of those who remain, after years of their dedication to your company's success. I write this message now, sir, in order to make you aware of what I'm hoping you already know, and to encourage you to consider returning to the practices of legend, again trusting those who have served your family's business well for a decade or more. It is my hope that you would become disillusioned with the stories and abstractions your subordinates must be feeding you to continue maintaining the status quo in place of the reality that is day-to-day operations from the perspective of those who actually do the work (and not just shuffle paper, rattle cages, and bark orders). While I honestly do thank you for the opportunity to work for your company, I'm afraid that it has only really served to provide me a baseline on how much better it is most everywhere else I've had the pleasure of working. That said, I'm not sure that's the legacy you wish to leave. In any event, I do thank you for your time, and sincerely hope you have the chance to read this.

Challenging and Frustrating but Opportunity laden experience

Former Employee - Manager, Supply Chain and Transportation Analytics in York, PA

I worked at ES3 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Challenging environment with lots of automated technologies to work with. Learning on the fly is exciting and stimulating.

Cons

The pros of the fast paced environment is often fraught with inefficiency and mismanagement.

Maintain a stable leadership team and work towards one goal, in one direction.

Management top heavy, expensive benefits, business model does not benefit hourly employees, is going downhill fast

Current Employee - ___ in York, PA
    Current Employee - ___ in York, PA

I have been working at ES3 full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good place for unskilled laborers to get experience in the work force. Also a good place for felons to land a job. (Especially those with DUI's or drug charges)

Cons

In the past few years this facility has gone downhill so fast! It puts in perspective the "Rich getting Richer, Poor getting Poorer" phrase. The business continues to grow and expand, however, the wages continue to lag. The annual evaluations yield a 1.5% wage increase at most. This is the most any employee is permitted to make on yearly evaluations. However, the weekly cost of health insurance has increased by 7.5% this year and had increased nearly 9% in 2013. Wages are going backwards. The unskilled laborers do make decent money, but bust their tails to get it. The skilled laborers are treated so poorly. I've heard some folks say they feel like they're being treated worse than they treat their dogs. Management speak to folks with such disrespect, it's incredible!
    This is an extremely numbers driven company, there is no concern for employee safety. This is a company wide attitude (including C&S Wholesalers who is the parent company, all owned by Richard Cohen, owner of Cohen Enterprises). The health insurance is terrible- high co-pays, high deductables, high coinsurance. It is a terrible benefits package. There's a matching 401K (match up to 3% and half match to 5%) which isn't bad. There are no bonuses, no profit share, and only 6 paid holidays. (Easter is not one of them). You will be required to work all holidays unless you are an office employee, by office I mean Directors, VPs, Pres., or HR. If you are required to work extra and can't make it in, you will be given a point. Holiday pay is 8 hours, no matter your normal schedule. Most schedules are 10 to 12 hour shifts. Most alternate days, for example, one could work mon. tues. wed. thurs. one week and the next week work thurs. fri sat sun mon. You are occasionally given one week advance notice for changes in work schedule. There are NO schedules that remain consist save a few hourly positions and all office employees.
    Overall, there are a LOT of unhappy employees that work in here, especially the folks that have been working here longer than 5+ years. However, when concerns are raised, management dismisses your statements and somehow finds a way to make it seem like your fault. You will not get promoted unless you are a good brown-noser, and even then, when you do get promoted you will likely be terminated within a year for whatever they come up with. Also, do not expect to have a life outside of work, you will forget what your families faces look like. You will forget what having fun is. You will likely turn into a negative and miserable person.

Treat people with respect. Stop talking to us as if we were children. Pull your head out of your bum and see how badly you are hurting what used to be a great company to work for. Listen to your people and take action on their concerns. Communicate more and often and continuously.

A place where great people gave me a opportunity to ignite a passion in my current field.

I worked at ES3

Pros

The people made the work bearable.

Cons

Lack of portfolio worthy pieces.

Diversify clients.

Amazing learning experience

Former Employee - Operations in York, PA
    Former Employee - Operations in York, PA

I worked at ES3 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wear multiple hats, lots of responsibility, growing organization

Cons

Long hours, pay is not very competitive

Balance promotion from within with outside candidates

Challenging High Tech Job

I have been working at ES3 (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job can challenge your abilities and keep you on your toes.

Cons

Pay increases are not great, ask for the pay you desire when your hired.

Better hours for employees some they can have weekends off with there families.

Felt like a number and not an employee

Former Employee - Automation Technician in York, PA
    Former Employee - Automation Technician in York, PA

I worked at ES3 full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities and work is pretty easy.

Cons

They know they can get others to do the job so you're not anything important.

Better communication and planning.