ESC Lab Sciences Reviews

Peter Schulert

Assistant Chemist

Current Employee - Assistant Chemist in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Chemist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at ESC Lab Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, overtime is usually always available, great employee health incentives, depending on department-lower management is reasonable, and not a whole lot else to say.

Cons

poor upper management power delegation and decision making, pay is better than other environmental labs in the area, but not worth the work load you take on. little to no room for advancement.

Advice to Management

make sure you are appreciating and compensating your employees who work very hard for you better, be less finicky in your decisions on how things should be run in and out of the lab. keep things honest.

Get a job at McDonalds instead

Former Employee - Assistant Chemist, Assistant Biologist
    Former Employee - Assistant Chemist, Assistant Biologist

I worked at ESC Lab Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They will hire anyone, so if you have zero work experience and self-respect but need something to put on a resume then this company is for you.

Cons

The management is laughable in the Chemistry Departments, which is part of the reason this company has such a high turn-over rate. They care nothing of the safety or health of the staff. I witnessed several OSHA violations during my time there. The owner seems to care about the staff, but anyone caught talking to him coincidentally loses their job soon after. The same set of rules does not apply to everyone. I have witnessed staff do absolutely nothing but sit in the break room all day and never get in trouble, and I've seen others get pulled into the "managers" office for taking too long of a break. The pay is pitiful for the work load, there is no upward movement unless you are one of the lucky few who gets in with the good 'ole boy club. The sexism at ESC is so prevalent I'm shocked they haven't been hit with a major lawsuit yet. I could go on, but I think this is a fair enough warning.

Advice to Management

Try doing your job for a change. Upper management is corrupt, that corruption bleeds all the way down to the laboratory workers, creating a very unhappy work life for many.

3. A company losing sight of what's important.

I have been working at ESC Lab Sciences

Pros

They have a great 401k. Employee stock plan as well if you can stick it out for five years.

Cons

I have watched this company fall from grace. Used to be a great company that cared for all it's employees. Now it is a shell of it's former self. No one cares anymore. The place is filthy and many long term employees have been fired for the same reasons that others are allowed to stay. Company chooses to not fill positions in a timely manner or not at all leaving the labs completely understaffed. Instead, they create positions for their favorites and those people do nothing but sit around. Most upper positions out of the lab have been eliminated so there is no place to advance to unless you want to take a pay cut and move to a less desirable position or schedule.

Advice to Management

It's time to get a clue! You can not just ignore the signs that your staff is completely disengaged. Your seasoned staff members are all quitting due to all the lies they have been told and promises you all can not keep. The morale here is the worst I've ever experienced at a workplace. Leadership does not involve favoritism and standing around talking about the game last night. You must be actively engaged in the day to day in order to keep your staff around. No wonder this company resorts to stealing all the employees from Test America. That's nothing to be proud of.

5. ESC has treated me very well.

I have been working at ESC Lab Sciences

Pros

Great mix of employees, environmentally concious and pretty dedicated to employee health and ownership. You can learn a lot working in the lab if you talk to the right people. It really is nice to see a company of this magnitude owned by the employees and the wonderful CEO.

Cons

Deadlines in the lab can be stressful at times.

Advice to Management

I think ESC as a whole is managed great. Each supervisor I've had at the company has treated me fairly.

6. This company really cares for its employees!

Former Employee - Assistant Chemist in Mount Juliet, TN

I worked at ESC Lab Sciences full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is adequate and the benefits are great! I really enjoyed working for this company!

Cons

I have no cons to report about this company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

7. Good company, could be more encouraging of diversity in upper management

Former Employee - Chemist in Mount Juliet, TN
    Former Employee - Chemist in Mount Juliet, TN

I worked at ESC Lab Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good communication to staff about policy changes, HR, etc. Good commitment to employee safety and efficiency. Decent compensation for the work and good pay for overtime. People are fun and interesting. Good commitment to environment and innovation meeting client needs. Can take pride in your work.

Cons

Not very encouraging of women or minorities to advance to management positions. Work can be monotonous as well as stressful.

Advice to Management

Be proactive about encouraging women and minorities to advance. Listen to all employees. Encourage communication between staff at all levels.

8. Interesting

Former Employee - Assistant Chemist in Mount Juliet, TN

I worked at ESC Lab Sciences full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I gained experienced with a variety of topics.

Cons

It's horrible. They over work you. You get paid nothing. It's not a safe environment to work in and management is horrible.

Advice to Management

retire.

My experience at ESC has been very rewarding, fulfilling and excited to be here.

Current Employee - Lab Tech for the Extraction Lab in Mount Juliet, TN
    Current Employee - Lab Tech for the Extraction Lab in Mount Juliet, TN

I have been working at ESC Lab Sciences

Pros

Working at ESC labs is a very rewarding place to work. The management staff throughout this company(including upper management) are very passionate when it comes to thier team members. Hard work is always recongized and management is always there to make sure that they are appreciated. Working in the extraction lab is a great place to be. I am looking to move up and this is the best possible place for me to do it. My fellow team members and the management team assoicated with this lab are great people and know the true meaning of working together to reach a common goal, which is to make sure the customer is happy. ESC is always looking for ways to better improve this company and to grow with the times. The CEO is always looking for new ways to improve this company and we as a company are headed in the right direction. I feel like I am appreciated and feel that my hard work has paid off and I look forward to a bright future here at ESC!!!!

Cons

From where I stand there are NO downsides to working at ESC. If you are a hard worker and passionate about your job, management sees it and always makes sure that that person is recongized. Everything that I am looking for in a company I have here at ESC. Stable job, good benefits, great team members to work with and a management staff who know you by name and not a number.

Advice to Management

The management staff at ESC, are some of the best people who care about the company and the team members that they supervise. It's always a nice and refreshing when the management staff tell you that your hard work is appreciated and say "hello" when passing them in the hallways. Keep up the good work!!!!

10. ESC is a great place to launch a chemistry career.

Current Employee - Extractions and Semi-Volatiles Chemist in Mount Juliet, TN
    Current Employee - Extractions and Semi-Volatiles Chemist in Mount Juliet, TN

I have been working at ESC Lab Sciences

Pros

I've been working at ESC Lab Sciences for about 6 and a half years, and that in itself speaks volumes. I started in the Extractions lab and have been promoted to the Semi-Volatile lab within the past year. The atmosphere here is relaxed: there is no dress code, schedules are extremely flexible, and management is willing to work with you to help balance outside life with your work schedule. I was in the Extractions lab for almost 5 years (by choice), first as a regular extractor, then as a trainer, then as team leader. Who knows, maybe one day I'll run that lab, too! Extractions is a bit physically demanding; you have to move around and be on your feet all day, but most people handle it with no problems. Semi-Volatiles is the opposite because, as an analyst, you are required to sit at an instrument for the majority of the day. In either department, if you are willing to be a team player, come to work when you're scheduled, and actually care about doing a good job, you won't have a bit of trouble. The co-workers I have here at ESC are amazing. Some of my best friends are people that work or have worked in my departments. Benefits are great, upper management is great. I won't say that the pay is great, but I believe that it is higher than most comparable positions in the area. Have I mentioned how great the people are here? Or how flexible the schedule is?

Cons

There is a lag for promotion here at ESC. When I first started, the average time spent in Extractions was 6-9 months. When the economy tanked, people stopped leaving the company from the higher departments, so now there are people in Extractions that have been there for 2 or 3 years; however, the people who have been there the longest, provided they are good workers, are usually the first to get promoted. The management is heavily male-dominated, and there are definite cliques throughout the entire company. Once you move from Extractions to Semi-Volatiles, there are very few positions open in Quality Control (the next step up), which is why most people view ESC as a place to launch a career. There are, however, many people that have been here 10, 15, or even 20+ years, so you can make a career out of ESC if you so choose.

Advice to Management

Some cross-training between Extractions and Semi-Vlatiles would help alleviate some of the pressure from the routine work of both labs. A female supervisor or two might not be a bad idea to help recruit women looking to start a chemistry career. More feedback from lower management would give employees a better sense of how they're performing. Workers also need to hear from management that the job they do makes a big difference in the world and that they're not completely replaceable. Beacuse what we do here does make a difference, and everyone has something to offer that no one else can.

11. Great place to work if you only plan on being there for a couple of months

Current Employee - Assistant Chemist in Mount Juliet, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Chemist in Mount Juliet, TN

I have been working at ESC Lab Sciences

Pros

The benefits are okay, not that great. But they are better than having none obviously. The people you work with are great, and the schedule can be fairly flexible. Good for learning the basic skills needed to perform at a semi-professional level.

Cons

Basic employees are not recognized very well. It is not easy to move up in your job positions as the upper management is pretty much locked in place. The pay rates are okay, but requiring a college degree, you would think it would be a little better. Working with the chemicals here is very unhealthy for you, and the ventilation and fume hoods appear to help a little. The bosses don't seem to care to much about who works there, thinking everyone is replaceable. However, everyone has something to offer that others don't.

Advice to Management

Possibly looking at improving communication with employees. Maybe even creating some other positions to move people up in the chain of command. It's hard to keep people at the company if over 5-10 year spans you only get 3% raises every year. Obviously not everyone deserves bigger/better raises every year, but some do. It is mostly men in upper management, and it is hard to fit into that group. Possibly try improving ways to have people work overtime, instead of demanding it. Time off is fairly easy to get, however, being sick/ill can be a pain to get paid for if out for more than a couple days. Vacation and sick are lumped into one, and you aren't awarded very much. With that said, it is better than none. Communication between management and employees could be better utilized.

RSS Feed </> Embed