ESI International

ESI International Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

ESI International President and CEO John Elsey

John Elsey

I worked here and it was not a bad place

Business Development Manager (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsThe culture of the place changed especially when a lawyer was acting in the capacity of HR.

ConsThere were quite a few, but with the recent acquisition, we are hoping for the best

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Time to clean house

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople are great, recently acquired by a holding company with the intentions of merging ESI into a larger company. Free classes for employees if you have the time to take them.

ConsEmployees are under utilized, and under valued. Management does not know how to make the company more competitive. Efforts to "modernize" are misguided. Misguided spending on resources. Benefits are sub-par. No upward mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more loyalty to your employees, and that loyalty will be returned. Identify your competitors, and build your strategy around competing with them rather than chasing "fads". Parent company may need to jump in and clean house.

Lack of care from management

Training Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsPaid time off for those who become tenured. Perks of taking free classes when your manager allows it. Health benefits are nice.

ConsTerrible pay
    Micro-managing
    Upper Management does not know anything about operations
    Company holds onto Queens that don't do anything
    Growth potential is Non-Existent

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about where you're employees can move up. Set a good example for leadership; complacency is not a good trait. Stop promoting office gossip.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corporate culture is non existance

Arlington, VA

ProsIf you're interested, you may take up classes in project management or business analyses but with your busy schedule, it is almost impossible to take them. Additionally, most of the roles/positions in the company is sales oriented, which I feel only a selected few in the company could use the classes to their benefit.

Consthe room for personal growth is limited. they will pitch during the interview that there is room for growth but every year only less than 10 people gets promotion. they also pay very little for the tasks you have to do. additionally, the perks aren't that great compared to other similar organizations in the area.

Advice to Senior Managementreview employee salary, be a motivator not a damper, create a fun corporate culture, open up more opportunities. the reason the sales folks are not performing as well is because we are not having fun and the motivational factor is missing. i also think ESI is not as innovative. Pretty ironic that we train others to be great PM and yet, that's missing greatly in this organization.

Not many positives

Editor (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsNot really many pros, honestly. I guess...there's a Keurig in the kitchen.

ConsThe company has been bought and sold several times over. Not surprising given the lack of knowledge in the industry. No interest in innovation, culture, talent, integrity, etc. Not a leader in the industry, and it's easy to see why from the top down. Very high turnover for a reason. This is literally the office from the Dilbert cartoons.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a complete restructure starting from the top or else just sell the intellectual property for what you can get for it and move on.

Great if you're a graduate, a waste of time otherwise.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou meet some really great people.

ConsThere is no innovation, creativity, the environment stifles talent, and there is no reason to even suggest anything new. Don't go in with any long term plans/ideas or you'll come out jaded.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually learn what your team does and help push some change, then again I was also warned about being jaded over time by management.

Annual layoffs, Has-been products

ProsNice offices, great location, um....well...

Cons"Leaders" who don't, instructors who are stuck in 20 years ago. Long term employees are bitter and gossipy. Products are kitchky and out-dated. Doing instructional design here is either an absurdly complicated process or sloppy and rush for a course customization. Managers cull the herd once or twice a year, tending to let go newer people and those over 40 who have not been there an eternity.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk less, listen more, lead.

not great, but its a good start

Account Representative (Former Employee)

Prosfree training when they let you take it, close to metro, genuinely good team, great way to start sales career, great holiday party

Consalot of gossip, cut throat in some ways. unkept promises. definitely high turnover in sales. no sense of culture. very boring during the day

Advice to Senior Managementengage more with the employees. after all they are the ones who make the company possible. the more you ignore good talent, the easier it is for them to leave you for a company who actually cares.

Inflexible and old school

Marketing (Former Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsFree training but limited time to take advantage of it unfortunately not a lot of other positives.

ConsThis company is old school - flexible working environments is non existent. They do not value creativity. Senior management? Not sure how they stay. It is more a stop gap instead of a step on employment ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible less arrogant nothing you are doing is that impressive,

Good people, poor motivation

ProsThere isn't a great deal of micro-managing. This depends heavily on your manager though. Good location, lots of lunch spots in the area, and most of the employees here are nice.

ConsEveryone is nice, but I wouldn't exactly call it a family atmosphere. I can not even count on one hand how many people are legitimately looking out for my career here. Direct management is good, but when you get to that next level it can cause problems getting anywhere.

The inability to change the culture here has driven out several folks over the years. There are no extra perks. For example, some companies will have those little things that make a big difference to increase socializing in the office and employee satisfaction like break rooms, game tables, or even free bagels or some type of food once in a while, whether it be a reward or just a nice non-monetary bonus. You won't find that here, and you won't find many people who want to talk to anyone else. Everyone is in drone mode most of the time, so it can kill motivation.

This company also lacks any solid personal growth chart for promotions. You get the job you started with, and unless you want to change positions entirely, you are pretty much stuck there with the same position and salary. There is no growth into management roles. Fifty perfect of raises depend on company goals, which are rarely hit, so you can't count on those.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider why turnover rate is high. It can more then just salary. Build a lifestyle here, not just a mundane job.

Worked for ESI International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ESI International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ESI International CEO John Elsey. All 52 reviews posted anonymously by ESI International employees.