ESI International

ESI International Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

ESI International President and CEO John Elsey

John Elsey

Pros
  • Extremely laid back office, excellent work life balance consideration (in 3 reviews)

• Good people, nice atmosphere, great office location in Ballston (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Non-existent career progression resulting in mid/senior-management glut of people with unprogressive business mindsets (in 4 reviews)

• Most of the old senior leadership is gone now (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

An ok company to kick start your career right off college

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsThe compensations and benefits are great.

ConsSalary is a little on the low end compared to other corporate training companies. It is also very sale-driven. Getting fired is not uncommon.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many communication gaps. Stop blaming others or point fingers. Own up your mistake and we will respect you more for being human that makes mistakes.

I worked here and it was not a bad place

Business Development Manager (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsThe culture of the place changed especially when a lawyer was acting in the capacity of HR.

ConsThere were quite a few, but with the recent acquisition, we are hoping for the best

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

A good starter for recent grads

Prosgreat training
    friendly atmosphere
    ok benefits
    ok pay

Conslack of career advancement
    high sales expectations

Advice to Senior Managementbe more understanding to your employees. you will lose alot of great talent with your high sales expectations

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Commitment to excellence

Salesperson (Former Employee)

ProsProject management training industry leader with top-notch instructors and curriculum.

ConsTraining industry as a whole is trying to find relevance with business decision-makers.

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovate or die

Good company, Poor leadership

ProsYou can make decent money in sales at ESI if you have the right skills and the right territory.

ConsThe leadership here is misguided and isn't interested in listening to client facing employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your sales reps.

Fantastic company. Great leadership.

Accounting (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsPeople are considered important. Salaries competitive and benefits excellent. Nice physical environment and great co-workers. Hiring from within gave many people opportunities to advance.

ConsHuman resources department below par. Perhaps the new HR head has improved the dept.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your people in the forefront and they will do their very best for the company.

"Better and Different"...more like "Same old Same old"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsFree project management training, nice benefits including a $100 a month public transit benefit.

Cons- Zero potential for advancement.

- The senior leadership is always looking for a scapegoat for their failing performance and lack of creativity (depending on what business unit you are in, it's the sales or marketing functions taking the blame).

- Sales and marketing teams are overworked and underpaid.

- The professional culture is very reminiscent of high school. If you aren't one of the cool kids be prepared to have your hard work overlooked and your ideas pretty much constantly stolen and credited to others.

- There are constant shifts in the organizational structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the dinosaurs who sit in their offices and twiddle their thumbs trying to figure out a way to make it appear as if they are working...and hire proactive, innovative leadership. Otherwise, continue to watch the revolving door of talented employees.

Curriculum Manager

Curriculum Manager (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGreat place to gain experience both as an instructional designer and with various industries.

ConsThese folks are stuck in 20 years ago. Long term employees are mean girls. Leadership thinks they are creative, but they are unimaginative and stuck in the DC bubble. They need to get a real global perspective. Layoffs are an annual event, so watch out.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate loyalty, stop get enamored with the latest tech fads, see what stlicks and work with it.

Great place to gain experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

Prosflexible work hours, easy to gain experience is you are new to the industry

Consinefficient work environment and organizational structure, no guidance for employees on how to be better in what they do, people stick to their own groups

Advice to Senior Managementbe open to other's ideas. think in terms of the company and not individual or group success

great company

Sales Executive (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Proscompany culture is very family freindly

Consfamily owned so some benefits are not available

Advice to Senior Managementadd bonus plans

Worked for ESI International? Contribute to the Community!