ESPN Reviews

Reset

1. Successful company, great brand . . . plenty of politics

Former Employee - Human Resources in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Bristol, CT

I worked at ESPN full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

35-year record of successful growth
    Recognizable brands
    Smart, enthusiastic people

Cons

MAJOR politics, especially at higher levels
    Lack of true innovation

Media Technologies.....Management get a clue how to run your department!

Former Employee - Media Operator in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Media Operator in Bristol, CT

I worked at ESPN full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers to work with!

Cons

Media Technologies Management has no clue!

Advice to Management

MT Management needs to get a better grip on the day to day operations, both days and nights!
    Some members of MT Management needs to show their face more often then the department meetings!

It was a great learning experience and propelled me into my current job.

Former Employee - Production Assistant in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Production Assistant in Bristol, CT

I worked at ESPN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great asset for your resume and you make valuable contacts. Those contacts helped me later in my career.

Cons

The salary for PA's is a little low. It's not close to a major city. Starting at an entry level position it's easy to get lost in production.

Advice to Management

I felt it was easy to get lost in the shuffle among upper management. Maybe meeting with CP's a few more times a year to review your recent work might help.

Too many Chiefs, to few indians

Current Employee - Technology in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Technology in Bristol, CT

I have been working at ESPN full-time

Pros

ESPN/Disney has decent compensation and perks. Always work to be done because the company never stops growing.

Cons

Way too may mid and senior level managers. Actual workers get little appreciation and less and and less help. Disney needs to go over ESPN management and start making the deadwood (of which there is a ton) retire.

Advice to Management

Start listening to the workers and fire some management. Company has deteriorated since George Bodenhiemer left.

Not at all what I expected!

Former Employee - Commercial Operations Coordinator in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Commercial Operations Coordinator in Bristol, CT

I worked at ESPN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn specially for those out of college.

Cons

There are internal clicks that makes it impossible for someone to develop skills and further their career unless you are part of that click. There is no balance of objectivity or subjectivity when it comes to evaluating employees. They rather rely on third party contractors rather than it's own employees.

Advice to Management

There should be an evaluation of the overall business process from the top down to improve.

ESPN is a great company with great benefits.

Former Contractor - Production Assistant in Bristol, CT
    Former Contractor - Production Assistant in Bristol, CT

I worked at ESPN as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits. Sports. Great environment to work in.

Cons

No room for headcount so if you are not hired as a full-time employee, goodluck.

Advice to Management

Create room for good employees after contracts expire.

Terrible management, LOTS of corporate BS

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

I have been working at ESPN

Pros

In the beginning, this was a really great place to work. The HQ is amazing and exciting events happen throughout the year (especially in the summer/fall). Work-life balance was encouraged and hours were flexible (you will see many employees arriving between 9-9:30am, leaving by 5pm). Working from home was usually an option and management made you feel like you were valued/important. There is a cafe and gym on-site, as well as ample opportunities to get personal and professional training (First Aid/CPR, Navigating Through Conflict classes, Building Your Emotional Intelligence, etc.) - the wellness team is awesome and personal training is provided if you want it.

Cons

It's all a lie. Management will give you amazing benefits when you first start out and then they will break you down after 6-7 months by taking away your benefits and focusing on a lot of negatives. First, say goodbye to "flexible work hours" - even though it's part of the culture to have relaxed hours, certain management will be quick to demand that you are AT your desk at whatever your starting time is, not even a few minutes late. When this isn't something that you were told or expected to do (let alone what you see other people doing) for the first 6 months of working there, it becomes a stressful work environment. Your options to work from home diminish (or completely disappear) and you end up with extra work/projects that aren't even in your job description or business objectives, just for the sake of chaining you to your desk. Middle and upper management are extremely political and take part in these immature games. They expect you to be at your desk 24/7, even as far as expecting you to come in early/leave late without wanting to pay overtime. Oh, and yes they are watching you like a hawk (even though they say they aren't monitoring you). I don't believe this is company wide, but this was my experience working here and I can confidently say ESPN looks like a great place to work, but it really isn't. Like many other reviewers have mentioned, the excitement and shine wears off REALLY quickly, so be prepared to be treated like you are easily replaceable by the lack of trust and respect you end up with over time.

Advice to Management

Stop playing games and encouraging office politics. Be more direct and open-minded. If you say you want to communicate more and be more transparent, PROVE it. Also, stop focusing on the negatives. Respect the people who work for or under you, especially if they are working hard and producing good results.

9. Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Editor in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Editor in Bristol, CT

I worked at ESPN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small enough company to know who your boss's boss , but is large enough to have the power to get things done. A great end of year bonus was received in each of my four years there.

Cons

We had quite a bit of turnover in our department, including five different heads of the department in four years. Getting laid off sucked too.

10. Statisics Associate

Current Employee - Statistics Analyst Associate in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Statistics Analyst Associate in Bristol, CT

I have been working at ESPN part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great part-time job, great entry level job.

Cons

Results driven, Mostly night and weekend hours.

11. World Wide leader in ....

Current Employee - Senior Applications Architect in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Architect in Bristol, CT

I have been working at ESPN full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The job is challenging and never dull. The people I work with are great. There are on site amenities for all your needs.

Cons

Not much career growth or guidance. If your looking for advancement then this may not be the best choice. They seem to only advance non critical employees (middle management, PMO staff etc).

Advice to Management

The many layered management structure they have is not necessary. The organization would likely work better in a matrix type of structure allowing groups to share critical resources and maximizing productivity.

RSS Feed </> Embed