ESPN

ESPN Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2014

ESPN President John Skipper

John Skipper

Pros:
  • "Great team, Awesome work life balance, Opportunity to learn"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Working for the worldwide leader in sports is a great talking point for your future employer"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Needs improvement on work-life balance"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Too much of a locker room mentality/ old boys network, which interferes with and compromises the goals of the company and president"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not all its cracked up to be

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ESPN

ProsGood environment, work life balance, etc.

ConsTop heavy organization, old boys club on occassion.

Overall a great experience, but it used to be better.

Researcher (Former Employee)
Aspen, CO

I worked at ESPN as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThe entire staff is thoroughly professional and dedicated to their mission. They organized and passionate about their projects. They want to succeed and they want their employees to be happy and to return year after year.

ConsThey are definitely scaling back and cutting budgets. They ask freelancers to work 12-16 hour days during the x games. They need police managers better who ask employees to work these inhumane hours, because it makes people like me, who would otherwise enjoy the job, not want to come back.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't think just because people are passionate about the project that it's ok to work them 16 hours/day.

great for more senior people but tough to climb the ladder for junior

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at ESPN full-time for more than 3 years

Prosget to work in the sports world. if you are a sports fan, you won't find a cooler company to work with.

Conslimited upward mobility...no clear guidance on promotional guidelines
most junior people agree that the company is amazing once you can get to the top. getting to the top though is a difficult thing to do. it seems like a black box in terms of who moves up and who doesn't. may be better to join the company at a senior level and try climbing the ladder someplace else first

Advice to Senior Managementprovide more opportunity for junior people to rise through the ranks...provide clear guidance on how to do so

Great company & work-life balance. Mediocre compensation.

Ad Producer (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at ESPN full-time for more than a year

ProsTalented, creative, fun coworkers
Great products, content and resources
High Impact
Great work/life balance.

ConsNon competitive salaries and weak incentives/bonuses
Difficult to gain visibility with the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a broader range of performance incentives.

It was great

I have been working at ESPN full-time

ProsYou must be passionate of working with sports or you will be very dissatisfied.

ConsIt is hard to move up

Upbeat & fun, but you'd better be a team player.

General Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at ESPN as a contractor for more than a year

ProsHigh esprit de corps, a sense of fun to be there, to be able to contribute, and a brand you can be proud of.

ConsThey love their meetings, which can be tough if you're coming from a looser, more spontaneous creative environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould love to see more national jobs based at their LA campus.

Deeply Admired Brand, Solid benefits, Strong Executive Management, Low Pay.

ESPN Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at ESPN full-time for more than a year

ProsFantastic portfolio of brands
Great benefits and perks
Strong Executive Management
Resources to do your job

ConsVery bureaucratic
Difficult to move up within the organization
Low Pay

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish better middle management

A great experience with a lot of promising opportunities for part time and full-employment

Production Intern (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at ESPN as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat culture, lively, active, fast-paced, small

ConsDress Attire is very casual, short hours

Advice to Senior ManagementMore work efficiency

Ok, but lacking real stuff

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Bristol, CT

I worked at ESPN full-time

ProsIf you like sports, a large company, a matrix environment where mediocre thrives this is the place for you. There are some great fringe benefits thanks to the parent company Disney.

ConsLifers rule here. People who worked other places with other real life experiences other than Bristol CT typically do not do well here unless they are willing to drink the Kool Aid served in Bristol. People right out of college can learn some things here. Mobility up or laterally is difficult when one self advocates. Do not be discouraged, every year or every other year there is a re-organization where management decides what to do and where you go. Management chooses to under staff and provide limited resources for most projects unless it is one of the two top priorities. Other lower priorities get so prioritized they end up taking extended time 1-2 years to complete or are forgot about all together. HR and other HR employee support people sponsor events at ESPN. These events are all show and no substance. They go through the motions but really do not truly care for and about the employees and their families. Core Medical and Dental benefits are governed by Disney and they are abysmal. Worst core benefits received in my whole career. Great potential but Disney is choking ESPN's ability to grow. Disney is taking more money out and providing less in Capex and Opex.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are so many layers at ESPN, starting with the parent relationship with Disney that need to be addressed. ESPN Executive & Sr. Management down through to Middle Management to the people actually doing the work are not cohesive.
People have provided feedback to annual company surveys. Executive and Sr. Mangement need to listen and more importantly take action on fulfilling the needs of the employees and in turn help grow the company.
Do not perform a re-organization every year just for the sake of having a re-organization. It is like changing your seat on the titanic, its futile. Provide more mobility for the employees.

My stint at ESPN was definitely a learning experience.

Production Assistant (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I worked at ESPN full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExperience and resume-booster. Learned a lot about the television production industry. Picked up skills that can easily transfer to other industries.

ConsOverworked and Underpaid. No work-life balance. No company loyalty. No room for growth. Promotions not based on work ethic and contributions. Do not promote from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication. Build employee morale. Make your employees feel valuable and worthy. Promote hard and great work. Show loyalty by promoting from within.

Worked for ESPN? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ESPN reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ESPN CEO John Skipper. All 202 reviews posted anonymously by ESPN employees.