ESPN

ESPN Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jun 15, 2014

ESPN President John Skipper

John Skipper

Pros
  • clearly the leader in sports media and technology and part of the Disney family (in 11 reviews)

• Great team, Awesome work life balance, Opportunity to learn (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The scale on Work/Life balance is definitely tilted toward work (in 11 reviews)

• Long hours and traveling was constant (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights
9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

X Games Event Staff

Event Staff (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsVolunteerism and philanthropy are highly valued here.

ConsThe X Games left LA for Austin, TX.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopeful the X Games will someday return to Los Angeles, CA.

Sales Planner

Sales Planner (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsBig, brand name
    Excellent innovation efforts
    Worldwide leader in sports

ConsLong hours
    Very strategic at all levels

Advice to Senior ManagementMore promotion opportunities

Awesome time working at this cutting edge company

Manager, Video Production (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsWork in a fast-paced environment with a collaborative staff and engaging managers.

ConsIt is difficult to move up quickly with the huge amount of full time staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyed working as an intern for the ESPY awards

ESPY Green Team Coordinator (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat work experience and pay
    Get to be around well-known people with experience

ConsCrazy hours and schedule
    Not enough rest time during work

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

ESPN

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat experience, amazing opportunities and lots of young working professionals.

ConsBig organization with slow decision makers. Bad leadership.

Lots of fun, stress and sense of accomplishment

Production Assistant (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsYou get paid to watch sports and create stories via highlights/video clips. It's great to see your hard work played out on television every night and everyone you work with is as much a sports nuts as you are.

ConsEveryone feels underpaid for the amount of work/stress involved in the job, especially when we know we're the cream of the crop putting out great material night after night. Hours 4pm - whenever the last game ends. Sometimes we're out at 1130, sometimes its 2 AM. The higher-ups are hesitant to make improvements or stray away from their already successful formula.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some risks with great ideas. Everyone is immensely creative and rarely will throw out horrible ideas. We all understand what's at stake and only want to make the show better. After all, we are looking to make a name for ourselves so we're constantly bringing our A game.

Welcome to the boys club.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsTravel to cool spots, co-workers, schedule flexibility.

ConsPay, unclear expectations of what it takes to be successful, propensity towards sexism, total lack of communication in upper management, red tape for miles when trying to get something done.

Advice to Senior Managementlive up to the 'pay for performance' directive as opposed to putting quotas on performance.

Great company

Marketing Director (Former Employee) East Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe company lives up to the title as the Worldwide Leader in Sports. Also, the company is innovative, Industry leader, supports career growth.

ConsThe company and management can be elitist, arrogant and under pay employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain and promote more employees from within organization.

The absolute dream company for a sports fanatic. But beware: long hours await...

Web Developer (Current Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsFirst off, you are surrounded by sports. Secondly, the culture of ESPN is one of innovation and passion. You are urged to think creatively about innovative ways to bring sports media to fans everywhere.

ConsBecause ESPN is so much fun to work for and so driven as a company to provide the absolute best product to the consumers, you end up working an absurd number of hours a week. But if you love what you're doing, who cares?

Advice to Senior ManagementIdeas should be collective, specifically with input from groups involved taken into account before officially moving forward. You may think you have the next big thing, but after hearing four or five or twenty reasons why your idea just won't work from other employees you might just save everyone months of development time (and thousands of dollars to boot).

Worked for ESPN? Contribute to the Community!