ESPN Reviews

Reset
3.7
ESPN President John Skipper
John Skipper

Pros
  • Provides ample opportunity for growth in career , work -life balance is encouraged (in 14 reviews)

• clearly the leader in sports media and technology and part of the Disney family (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Needs improvement on work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• The long hours and the turn around time for finding out if you got a position (in 17 reviews)

The absolute dream company for a sports fanatic. But beware: long hours await...

Current Employee - Web Developer in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Burbank, CA

I have been working at ESPN

Pros

First off, you are surrounded by sports. Secondly, the culture of ESPN is one of innovation and passion. You are urged to think creatively about innovative ways to bring sports media to fans everywhere.

Cons

Because ESPN is so much fun to work for and so driven as a company to provide the absolute best product to the consumers, you end up working an absurd number of hours a week. But if you love what you're doing, who cares?

Advice to Management

Ideas should be collective, specifically with input from groups involved taken into account before officially moving forward. You may think you have the next big thing, but after hearing four or five or twenty reasons why your idea just won't work from other employees you might just save everyone months of development time (and thousands of dollars to boot).

2. The world wide leader is more than a marketig slogan.

Current Employee - Coordinating Technical Director in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Coordinating Technical Director in Bristol, CT

I have been working at ESPN

Pros

The pride and relentless pursuit of inovation and excellence. They put the viewers and employees needs into every action they take. I've worked at small market stations and espn is by far the industy standard. This place is televison haven if you want to work on bleeding edge equipment and have you work seen by millions of people each day. I look forward to comming to work each day, I especially like the fact that I'm in a possiton where I can make a decision, I have the ear of senior managment and my thoughts and concerns are heard. I cant wait to see whats on the horizon for espn.

Cons

You have to work hard to raise above you collegues. But if youre a brown noser but you suck at your job you will still get ahead. One more downside is that we are a 24/7 365 operation that means no holidays off, no weekends. Its tough for people that want a social life. If you want to get ahead you really have to sacrifice a lot. There is so much to learn you cant do that by working your normal 10 or 8 hour day. I wish my dept gave you schedules earlier. The director staff get there schedule a month in advance.

Advice to Management

I think they are knowlegable and have the company going on a right track.

3. Sports Lovers Paradise...

I have been working at ESPN

Pros

If you love sports, ESPN is the place to be. The Worldwide Leader in Sports provides a fast-paced, high energy environment where strict deadlines must be met, but the process is enjoyable and exciting.

Cons

The hours can be tough to adjust to at first. Considering that most sporting events happen at night and on the weekends, many of us work well into the night. For someone young like me, this is no problem, but I can envision a time in life when working until 2am will not have the same appeal that it has now.

Advice to Management

I think you are doing an excellent job running the company. With consistent growth and the total dominance of the sports media marketplace, I think it's hard to find issue with the way Senior Management is doing their job.

5. ESPN has a commitment to excellence and communication.

I have been working at ESPN

Pros

ESPN is an extremely collaborative experience. Doors are almost always open for discussions about Processes, Content, Execution and ways to improve all of these areas. Many of ESPN's employees have the ability to suggest improvements and different approaches that will aide the company in moving forward and becoming as efficient as possible.

Cons

The workload. "With great power comes great responsibility" (or so a famous Super Hero once said) and ESPN has an enormous amount of responsibility to provide a tremendous amount of quality content. Producing Twenty Four hours of content, over three quarters of which is LIVE TV, is very daunting, not to mention all of the online, radio, print and mobile content. ... It can get a bit overwhelming to think about the amount of content ESPN produces. Also, the pressure of always providing the best TV is a bit life-consuming. Work-Life balance is emphasized, but to truly succeed in TV (or so I've seen so far), that balance gets skewed a bit by the dedication to Work.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the communication lines as open as they are. Always be willing to tell us when we've done well, as well as when we've done wrong. Showing the personal side of management also really helps bring out the best communication environment for me. I'm much better at talking, providing ideas and listening to feedback when its coming from a place of respect and assistance, rather than with a diminutive, dismissive attitude.

ESPN is the best company I've ever worked at.

I have been working at ESPN

Pros

There are tons of growth opportunities. They promote from within. They invest in future leaders. Owned by Disney, so free park passes and 50% off at Disney hotels. Tuition reimbursement. Onsite gym. The huge growth in the industry means lots of opportunities to grow, if youre willing to attain new skills. New media is a big growth area. TONS more.

Cons

Old-school mentality about working your way up.

Advice to Management

As we get big, dont get slow.

7. Awesome place to work for a sports fan.

Former Employee - Studio Production in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Studio Production in New York, NY

I worked at ESPN

Pros

Great people, fun atmosphere. If you like sports, it's a very cool place to work. Also, very competent people in my department. Employees seemed helpful and supportive of one another. Professional environment. People communicated well. TVs at most desks so employees can "stay up to date" on sports was very cool.

Cons

Huge company, so maybe a bit difficult to move up. Easy to lose a sense of where your dept. fits in larger scheme of things. Pay isn't great b/c of the high demand to work there. Living in NYC is expensive so that compounds the pay problem. And living in Bristol is, well, a bit dull.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the sports and continue to provide the avid fan what he wants.

8. Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

I worked at ESPN

Pros

-- Opportunity to pursue whatever you'd like -- Management was, in my opinion, more than competent and willing to roll up their sleeves and do dirty work. -- Teamwork and collaboration within groups was not only encouraged, but a vital part of ESPN's success.

Cons

-- Bristol and CT in general can be tough to get used to -- Pay was fair, but cost of living in CT is high and can affect overall outlook on job. -- On TV side, too much emphasis placed, at times, on promotion over content. When I worked at ESPN.com, it was the complete opposite.

Advice to Management

Maintain and gain ... it was a great place to work and would happily return in the future.

9. Great experience as an Intern

Former Employee - Client Services Intern in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Client Services Intern in Bristol, CT

I worked at ESPN

Pros

Great work environment with many positive people that are very pleasant. As an intern was able to meet individuals from across the country with diverse backgrounds. During time there enjoyed numerous volunteer opportunities and corporate events that allowed for interaction with on screen talent.

Cons

Location might not be the best for some but for an internship is a great change of pace. Company does not provide much feedback regarding performance until end of term.

Advice to Management

Make sure your employees are able to see a route towards achieving whatever career goals they have planned for themselves.

10. ESPN is an exciting place to work, where the company as a whole expects employees to eat/breathe/sleep ESPN culture.

Former Employee - Supervising Integration Producer in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Supervising Integration Producer in Bristol, CT

I worked at ESPN

Pros

If you are a sports fan, there is no better atmosphere. Either in Production or in more traditional 9-5 business disciplines, you will be surrounded with people who enjoy a 20 minute conversation about minute details of last night's game.

Cons

Even at the management level, you will work Nights, Weekends and Holidays....you know, when sports are Live. The strategy and culture is very top-down, where the direction of the company is dictated by management.

Advice to Management

ESPN Management was always good to me in allowing me to have a life outside of ESPN. I often speak very highly of the management and simply left to pursue other interests.

Overall, a great place to work.

I have been working at ESPN

Pros

A great nuruting environment that encourages innovation and individual freedoms. The company is truly concerned about the well being of its employees. The company works very hard to ensure that the integrity of the work environment. The compnay gives your the opportunity to learn and do a lot.

Cons

Too much of a locker room mentality/ old boys network, which interferes with and compromises the goals of the company and president. The "pay for performance" program is not properly administered. Some groups are paid for mediocre performance and other groups are not rewarded for outstanding performance. You are also asked to do a lot with limited resources.

Advice to Management

Loosen the purse strings and reward employees and individual employees for their tireless efforts. Acknowledge that it takes a lot to produce the products and reward those who make it happen.

RSS Feed </> Embed