ESPN Reviews

Reset
3.7
ESPN President John Skipper
John Skipper

Pros
  • Provides ample opportunity for growth in career , work -life balance is encouraged (in 14 reviews)

• clearly the leader in sports media and technology and part of the Disney family (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Needs improvement on work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• The long hours and the turn around time for finding out if you got a position (in 17 reviews)

Mental abuse

Former Employee - Consumer Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consumer Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I worked at ESPN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company somehow puts out great products despite the awful dysfunctional antiquated management

Cons

Management is awful. Everyone is given a different set of rules. There is no equality or equal concern for employees

Advice to Management

If you make your employees constantly take HR training and an employee comes to you with an issue with her manager the solution shouldn't be to fire the employee

Terrible management, LOTS of corporate BS

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

I have been working at ESPN

Pros

In the beginning, this was a really great place to work. The HQ is amazing and exciting events happen throughout the year (especially in the summer/fall). Work-life balance was encouraged and hours were flexible (you will see many employees arriving between 9-9:30am, leaving by 5pm). Working from home was usually an option and management made you feel like you were valued/important. There is a cafe and gym on-site, as well as ample opportunities to get personal and professional training (First Aid/CPR, Navigating Through Conflict classes, Building Your Emotional Intelligence, etc.) - the wellness team is awesome and personal training is provided if you want it.

Cons

It's all a lie. Management will give you amazing benefits when you first start out and then they will break you down after 6-7 months by taking away your benefits and focusing on a lot of negatives. First, say goodbye to "flexible work hours" - even though it's part of the culture to have relaxed hours, certain management will be quick to demand that you are AT your desk at whatever your starting time is, not even a few minutes late. When this isn't something that you were told or expected to do (let alone what you see other people doing) for the first 6 months of working there, it becomes a stressful work environment. Your options to work from home diminish (or completely disappear) and you end up with extra work/projects that aren't even in your job description or business objectives, just for the sake of chaining you to your desk. Middle and upper management are extremely political and take part in these immature games. They expect you to be at your desk 24/7, even as far as expecting you to come in early/leave late without wanting to pay overtime. Oh, and yes they are watching you like a hawk (even though they say they aren't monitoring you). I don't believe this is company wide, but this was my experience working here and I can confidently say ESPN looks like a great place to work, but it really isn't. Like many other reviewers have mentioned, the excitement and shine wears off REALLY quickly, so be prepared to be treated like you are easily replaceable by the lack of trust and respect you end up with over time.

Advice to Management

Stop playing games and encouraging office politics. Be more direct and open-minded. If you say you want to communicate more and be more transparent, PROVE it. Also, stop focusing on the negatives. Respect the people who work for or under you, especially if they are working hard and producing good results.

3. 2012 assoc. op review

I have been working at ESPN full-time

Pros

disney tickets, yrly bonus, raises, discounts, downtown

Cons

hours, bad off days, location, values,management

Run away. It is a toxic, morale killer. It is not a place for professionals.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Bristol, CT

I have been working at ESPN full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It was a great place to work for years. That has changed. They finally got smart enough to give 3 weeks of vacation so you can actually use your Disney passes.

Cons

Management is changing direction like a monkey swinging from a tree. Directors and above have a sweet thing going. They are very busy selfishly maneuvering and networking up without a care for the direction of their staff or the company.

Probably the worst place I've ever worked

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

I worked at ESPN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is great. Not a lot is expected of you so you can work a standard 9 - 5.

Cons

The managers don't actually know how to manage. They certainly don't know how to lead. The company has a very old way of thinking. Their philosophy is that they need to keep doing partnerships with other companies to bring in more money at the expense of fans. Fans are the last person thought about when decisions are made.

Even though the name looks good on my resume, I'm actually embarrassed of it.

Sexual harassment endless, Fraternity Feel, Big egos, Small pay

Former Employee - Associate Producer in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Associate Producer in Bristol, CT

I worked at ESPN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to actively work on productions from the start, great to see work one has accomplished make it on-air, good movement between sports and departments

Cons

Work atmosphere is abysmal, horrible conditions for young women who are harassed daily, solicitations on the job, files filled with complaints and no punishments. Absolutely frat feel, little openness to new ideas, good old boys club, only advance if you know the right people.

Advice to Management

Get off your butt and actually makes some legitimate sexual harassment policies instead of "we deal with each matter as it comes up" which essentially means we ignore and take no responsibility for anyone. Lead by example, stop hiring big egos and friends of friends.

8. The shine wore off very quickly

Former Employee - Developer in New Britain, CT
    Former Employee - Developer in New Britain, CT

I worked at ESPN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You love sports. You know your boss personally. You program in Java. and love Disney.

Cons

Project employees are treated like 2nd class. Company values on the card don't hold true in real life. Kiss up kick down culture. Knowing the existing domain is far more highly valued than technical skill. Very immature technical culture that is not interested in keeping with the times. Beware the project employee; it's just an internal contract that is over with the project with reduced benefits. I can't recommend it to anyone, let alone a friend.

Advice to Management

Competitive pay. TV's on every wall (if you like sports).

9. on field, great experience that I didn't realize would show me the intro into Sport Management

I worked at ESPN

Pros

up-tempo, quick paced, very nice people, name brand, ESPN!

Cons

just demanding and right then and there type of thing

10. Excellent Advancement Opportunity

I worked at ESPN

Pros

A different experience than what I had expected. More work than Play.

Cons

I wish they knew how to pay the hardest workers.

Advice to Management

Please share some bonuses and find ways to make employees feel welcomed.

11. Advertising Account Manager

Former Employee - Advertising Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Advertising Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at ESPN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in sports...that's about it!

Cons

HORRIBLE Compensation, horrible office in NYC, NO ACCESS to sporting event tickets unless you work higher up, horrible benefits, no growth to advance your career!

Advice to Management

If you dont want to have to go through constant attrition, pay your employees better!

RSS Feed </> Embed