ESPN Reviews

309 reviews filtered by
3.8
ESPN President John Skipper
John Skipper

Pros
  • Provides ample opportunity for growth in career , work -life balance is encouraged (in 14 reviews)

• clearly the leader in sports media and technology and part of the Disney family (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to maintain work-life balance ( depending on your postion) (in 16 reviews)

• Long hours and traveling was constant (in 17 reviews)

1. Media Technologies.....Management get a clue how to run your department!

Former Employee - Media Operator in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Media Operator in Bristol, CT

I worked at ESPN full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers to work with!

Cons

Media Technologies Management has no clue!

MT Management needs to get a better grip on the day to day operations, both days and nights!
    Some members of MT Management needs to show their face more often then the department meetings!

2. Fantastic Internship Experience

Former Intern - Production Operations in Bristol, CT
    Former Intern - Production Operations in Bristol, CT

I worked at ESPN as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Unlimited access to anything you'd want to learn
    - Excellent communication from supervisors
    - Great resume builder
    - You get to meet some cool people

Cons

- You have to pay for housing
    - If you're a production intern, your hours are matched to your supervisor's, so your schedule can be luck of the draw

3. ESPN is at the forefront of sports media and it shows in the breadth of experience they are able to offer.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ESPN full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

ESPN has the greatest reach and resources of any company in its field.
    ESPN is at the frontier of the way sports are covered and broadcasted to the masses, and they encourage their employees to push their own limits.
    ESPN is growing and has been fluorishing for years.
    ESPN is owned by Disney, which provides great benefit packages for employees.

Cons

ESPN headquarters are located in Bristol, CT, which is a very rural and unexciting place to live and work.
    ESPN, like any other major corporation, can be rich with politics.

5. ESPN

Former Employee - Web Developer II in Ecatepec, México (Mexico)
    Former Employee - Web Developer II in Ecatepec, México (Mexico)

I worked at ESPN

Pros

I made money. The money was good. Racism was low even though I was an Amexicanadian.

Cons

I didn't make enough money. Some money was bad. I liked to sleep. Work didn't like me sleeping. I was fired.

Let me sleep. Or I might make you.

6. It was very cool to work in the sports scene, but you don't get to enjoy the sports at all.

I have been working at ESPN

Pros

You get to see famous athletes. You also get to meet some very nice people but don't expect them to be your friends.

Cons

The hours were horrible. You don't have a set schedule so planning things in advance is difficult.

I think that you should have more of a structure for schedule. But i realize that it can also be impossible because you have thousands of people to manage.

7. Current Employee Review

Current Employee - ESPN Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - ESPN Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at ESPN

Pros

Work culture, benefits, resources available to you in your position

Cons

Not a lot of room for personal growth

8. Digital Sales Planner

Current Contractor - Digital Sales Planner in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Digital Sales Planner in New York, NY

I have been working at ESPN as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great group of talented and innovative people, great perks (have been able to make it a few games in my time here), and there is room for growth as turnover is pretty quick, with many colleagues getting promoted.

Cons

Still very Corporate, which can be a turn off to some, but is expected. The

Too many Chiefs, to few indians

Current Employee - Technology in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Technology in Bristol, CT

I have been working at ESPN full-time

Pros

ESPN/Disney has decent compensation and perks. Always work to be done because the company never stops growing.

Cons

Way too may mid and senior level managers. Actual workers get little appreciation and less and and less help. Disney needs to go over ESPN management and start making the deadwood (of which there is a ton) retire.

Start listening to the workers and fire some management. Company has deteriorated since George Bodenhiemer left.

10. Great team

I have been working at ESPN

Pros

Great people to work with. Excellent environment!

Cons

Limited room for growth opportunities

Terrible management, LOTS of corporate BS

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

I have been working at ESPN

Pros

In the beginning, this was a really great place to work. The HQ is amazing and exciting events happen throughout the year (especially in the summer/fall). Work-life balance was encouraged and hours were flexible (you will see many employees arriving between 9-9:30am, leaving by 5pm). Working from home was usually an option and management made you feel like you were valued/important. There is a cafe and gym on-site, as well as ample opportunities to get personal and professional training (First Aid/CPR, Navigating Through Conflict classes, Building Your Emotional Intelligence, etc.) - the wellness team is awesome and personal training is provided if you want it.

Cons

It's all a lie. Management will give you amazing benefits when you first start out and then they will break you down after 6-7 months by taking away your benefits and focusing on a lot of negatives. First, say goodbye to "flexible work hours" - even though it's part of the culture to have relaxed hours, certain management will be quick to demand that you are AT your desk at whatever your starting time is, not even a few minutes late. When this isn't something that you were told or expected to do (let alone what you see other people doing) for the first 6 months of working there, it becomes a stressful work environment. Your options to work from home diminish (or completely disappear) and you end up with extra work/projects that aren't even in your job description or business objectives, just for the sake of chaining you to your desk. Middle and upper management are extremely political and take part in these immature games. They expect you to be at your desk 24/7, even as far as expecting you to come in early/leave late without wanting to pay overtime. Oh, and yes they are watching you like a hawk (even though they say they aren't monitoring you). I don't believe this is company wide, but this was my experience working here and I can confidently say ESPN looks like a great place to work, but it really isn't. Like many other reviewers have mentioned, the excitement and shine wears off REALLY quickly, so be prepared to be treated like you are easily replaceable by the lack of trust and respect you end up with over time.

Stop playing games and encouraging office politics. Be more direct and open-minded. If you say you want to communicate more and be more transparent, PROVE it. Also, stop focusing on the negatives. Respect the people who work for or under you, especially if they are working hard and producing good results.