www.espn.go.com
Profile Unclaimed

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ESPN full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, smart people, caring leaders

Cons

Long work hours, understaffed, work/life balance lacking

Please create more opportunities for work/life balance.

Intern

Former Intern - Intern in State College, PA
    Former Intern - Intern in State College, PA

I worked at ESPN as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

experience, promotions, covering live events

Cons

It was an unpaid internship

Account Executive (Ad Sales)

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at ESPN full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fun innovative company which is a part of a larger orgnaization with numerous career opportunities

Cons

Overworked and layered structure which impedes business

Amazing

I have been working at ESPN

Pros

Great Job, Good Pay, Fun

Cons

Nothing at all it is great

Terrible management, LOTS of corporate BS

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

I have been working at ESPN

Pros

In the beginning, this was a really great place to work. The HQ is amazing and exciting events happen throughout the year (especially in the summer/fall). Work-life balance was encouraged and hours were flexible (you will see many employees arriving between 9-9:30am, leaving by 5pm). Working from home was usually an option and management made you feel like you were valued/important. There is a cafe and gym on-site, as well as ample opportunities to get personal and professional training (First Aid/CPR, Navigating Through Conflict classes, Building Your Emotional Intelligence, etc.) - the wellness team is awesome and personal training is provided if you want it.

Cons

It's all a lie. Management will give you amazing benefits when you first start out and then they will break you down after 6-7 months by taking away your benefits and focusing on a lot of negatives. First, say goodbye to "flexible work hours" - even though it's part of the culture to have relaxed hours, certain management will be quick to demand that you are AT your desk at whatever your starting time is, not even a few minutes late. When this isn't something that you were told or expected to do (let alone what you see other people doing) for the first 6 months of working there, it becomes a stressful work environment. Your options to work from home diminish (or completely disappear) and you end up with extra work/projects that aren't even in your job description or business objectives, just for the sake of chaining you to your desk. Middle and upper management are extremely political and take part in these immature games. They expect you to be at your desk 24/7, even as far as expecting you to come in early/leave late without wanting to pay overtime. Oh, and yes they are watching you like a hawk (even though they say they aren't monitoring you). I don't believe this is company wide, but this was my experience working here and I can confidently say ESPN looks like a great place to work, but it really isn't. Like many other reviewers have mentioned, the excitement and shine wears off REALLY quickly, so be prepared to be treated like you are easily replaceable by the lack of trust and respect you end up with over time.

Stop playing games and encouraging office politics. Be more direct and open-minded. If you say you want to communicate more and be more transparent, PROVE it. Also, stop focusing on the negatives. Respect the people who work for or under you, especially if they are working hard and producing good results.

ESPN is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst

I have been working at ESPN full-time

Pros

ESPN boasts many smart people and decent work/life balance. ESPN also has quality leadership and a can-do spirit.

Cons

ESPN could do better when it comes to providing more competitive compensation packages. That would be my main criticism.

Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Editor in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Editor in Bristol, CT

I worked at ESPN full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small enough company to know who your boss's boss , but is large enough to have the power to get things done. A great end of year bonus was received in each of my four years there.

Cons

We had quite a bit of turnover in our department, including five different heads of the department in four years. Getting laid off sucked too.

ESPN is a great company with great benefits.

Former Contractor - Production Assistant in Bristol, CT
    Former Contractor - Production Assistant in Bristol, CT

I worked at ESPN as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits. Sports. Great environment to work in.

Cons

No room for headcount so if you are not hired as a full-time employee, goodluck.

Create room for good employees after contracts expire.

Sr. software engineer

I have been working at ESPN

Pros

It is quite satisfying to see my work on live TV. I have learned a lot about the technologies behind cameras. Watching football is never as the same as before.

Cons

The leadership is not into technologies. There is no clear path for software engineer to grow. The big guys are arrogant.

Pay more attention to your technologies.

Good talent, poorly managed

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at ESPN full-time

Pros

Relaxed work environment. A lot of talented people doing interesting work (though w/ so many groups and products it might depend on where you land). Opportunity to work on highly visible products.

Cons

Every worker seems to have two managers, each of whom have two managers above them and so on. All the groups are silo'd w/ little coordination between the groups. Lots of attention is paid to distinct upcoming events but little interest in lessons learned after the events, process improvement or big picture system improvement. Lots of dependency on old/proprietary technology which has little to no documentation or support. Pay seems to be lower than industry average for the privilege of working for the world wide leader but this is often relative to a variety of factors.

Take closer look at why problems happen and how to prevent them from happening in the future. Improve coordination between teams. Don't focus exclusively on external product looks and client facing functionality, make investments into the stuff that's under the hood.