ESPN Reviews

Updated March 19, 2015
309 reviews filtered by

1. ESPN is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst

I have been working at ESPN full-time

Pros

ESPN boasts many smart people and decent work/life balance. ESPN also has quality leadership and a can-do spirit.

Cons

ESPN could do better when it comes to providing more competitive compensation packages. That would be my main criticism.

2. Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Editor in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Editor in Bristol, CT

I worked at ESPN full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small enough company to know who your boss's boss , but is large enough to have the power to get things done. A great end of year bonus was received in each of my four years there.

Cons

We had quite a bit of turnover in our department, including five different heads of the department in four years. Getting laid off sucked too.

3. Television utility and production

Current Employee - Television Production and Utility in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Television Production and Utility in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at ESPN

Pros

Laid back environment, great pay, food provided via catering during work hours

Cons

Have to hit right time to move from freelance to full time

Great

Good talent, poorly managed

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at ESPN full-time

Pros

Relaxed work environment. A lot of talented people doing interesting work (though w/ so many groups and products it might depend on where you land). Opportunity to work on highly visible products.

Cons

Every worker seems to have two managers, each of whom have two managers above them and so on. All the groups are silo'd w/ little coordination between the groups. Lots of attention is paid to distinct upcoming events but little interest in lessons learned after the events, process improvement or big picture system improvement. Lots of dependency on old/proprietary technology which has little to no documentation or support. Pay seems to be lower than industry average for the privilege of working for the world wide leader but this is often relative to a variety of factors.

Take closer look at why problems happen and how to prevent them from happening in the future. Improve coordination between teams. Don't focus exclusively on external product looks and client facing functionality, make investments into the stuff that's under the hood.

6. Great Company, Fast Paced, Exciting

Former Employee - Editor - Contract in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Editor - Contract in Orlando, FL

I worked at ESPN

Pros

I learned a lot over the course of my summer here. They were very straightforward with the hours and if there was any overtime they would ask the staff ahead of time if you could stay.

Cons

Was not happy on how short the contract was.

7. ESPN

I have been working at ESPN

Pros

The name ESPN carries a lot of weight and can be great experience and looks great on your resume.

Cons

The hours and finding time off for vacation is difficult. There also seems to be a constant subtraction of benefits that really made it fun to work here. I work all Holidays and we used to have the option of using those days for others days during the year. Now they have taken that away and so I now only have two weeks off a year. Time off with Family is important to me.

Appreciate and praise the work that the employees do. Don't take that for granted. That won't always been the case if the benefits for employees continue to decrease. It is also nice to be appreciated for hard work and the long hours the lower end employees put in to make it work.

Solid employer with benefits of Disney oversight and influence.

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at ESPN full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mega multi platform powerhouse leading sports media category. Passionate people. Enormous marketplace reach and prestige. Fair and balanced culture. Innovates within their core and where they must. Creative influencer. Stability due to legacy subscription model and league partnerships.

Cons

Long term strategic vision. Can't see beyond bat and ball sports. Organization remains driven by TV. Driven by affiliate, sales, programming and product. Marketing has minimal influence beyond traditional advertising. Millennial a aren't as engaged as the previous generation. Leadership is driven by a good old boys network from within. Challenged with seeing bigger picture largely due to a lack of diverse, experienced talent outside the organization, traditional media and sports. Extremely low pay as they value their brand to influence outsiders to take far below market value. Bonuses are laughable regardless how well the company performs. Doesn't move it people around to grow and develop their skill set.

Broaden long term thinking, executive talent pool and innovative risk taking beyond TV. Good talent costs money and requires growth opportunity. Move your people around and higher the best and brightest externally to move the company forward.

Great place for sports nuts

I have been working at ESPN

Pros

Fun company to work for
    Great exposure to everything sports

Cons

Work long hours, on the road, weekends and holidays
    salary is low in industry.

10. Statisics Associate

Current Employee - Statistics Analyst Associate in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Statistics Analyst Associate in Bristol, CT

I have been working at ESPN part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great part-time job, great entry level job.

Cons

Results driven, Mostly night and weekend hours.

ESPN is tough to work for

I have been working at ESPN full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They say all the right things and there are a lot of benefits offered to employees.
    There are fun and exciting projects and some great people (most are not in management)
    The department I am in is flexible with hours and understanding of family issues and time off requests

Cons

Non collaborative, Highly competitive - almost cut throat.
    Diversity - need to be more open to others opinions and points of view
    Boys club!!!
    Old style culture and way of doing business
    Poor communication from executive levels down. (info on a need to know basis)
    Lots of rumors and unhappy employees

Change the culture
    Change the closed minded people or encourage them to leave
    Hold leaders accountable for their negative actions
    Serious lack of good leadership... develop leaders and support the good one you have!