EVCO Wholesale Foods

Updated October 7, 2014
Updated October 7, 2014
2.2

Charles “Skip” Evans

not impressed! You have to do more than wash your delivery trucks daily to impress a client!

Former Employee - Marketing Advisor in Kansas City, MO

I worked at EVCO Wholesale Foods full-time (less than an year)

Pros

get 1 year trial on salary before going straight commission. So, work there for a year. I made 50,000.00 per year!

Could work from home most of time. unless you are wanting to build up a clientele, then you need to get out there and hustle, but its very very hard to pick up business!

Cons

poor management, high prices makes it very hard to compete with sysco, us foods, etc.

lower prices. have transportation be more friendly to workers and clients. have the buyers use common sense when entering items in the system so they make sense to sales reps...would be much easier to sell (have reps spend 3 hours per month entering, instead of the buyers)

I went back to the stone-age of sales.

Former Employee - Marketing Advisor in Kansas City, MO

I worked at EVCO Wholesale Foods full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed some of the other sales people, and continue to talk to them regularly. These relationships have nothing to do with working at Evco. I honestly can't say anything positive about the archaic work environment. The best pro was leaving.

Cons

It always seems the owning family does everything it can to keep sales people from making any money. Excessive pads, unrealistic goals, hidden costs...all of these make it very hard to compete with even the worst companies. The industry has changed a lot in the last 15 years. Evco has no desire to change or be competitive.

Sell the company. Get out of the food distribution business. You obviously don't want to be considered a player. Why would you continue? Doesn't the never-ending turnover of good, experienced, and proven sales people tell you anything?

Entry level pay and poor treatment

I worked at EVCO Wholesale Foods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The purchasing, sales, and warehouse managers were professional. They knew what they were doing and were excellent at training their charges on the professional way to do business.

Cons

The ownership and general managers were family members with little to no idea how to run a business or treat employees right. They nearly always did what was cheapest at the expense of the employees, disregarding the word of the professional division managers.

The turnover rate is ridiculous. Stop ripping off employees at every opportunity to save a penny. The good ones leave you as soon as they can. You get what you pay for.

Pretty satisfied, the people are all good to work with, see my Interview Review. Heed the advice.

Current Employee - Driver in Emporia, KS
    Current Employee - Driver in Emporia, KS

I have been working at EVCO Wholesale Foods

Pros

A good job for a responsible, self oriented person, generally, you are your own boss.

You drive for a little bit, then unload and talk with the clientele, you develop a good relationship.

Cons

Don't rely on the office to resolve disputes on the route, it will effect you negatively. It is your Route.

Please read my Interview Review with Evco.

Please distribute the work load more evenly between the drivers...That's all. Some have too few hours, and some have too many.

So-so place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at EVCO Wholesale Foods

Pros

Its a quiet place with less noise.

Cons

Commute is too long so bring a car.

Rock on...

EVCO

Current Employee - Marketing Advisor
    Current Employee - Marketing Advisor

I have been working at EVCO Wholesale Foods

Pros

Small family company with strong family values. Decent commission structure, flexible hours. Most of the salesmen are great to work with.

Cons

There is not a lot inside support for the sales people. Uphill battle working for a small company in a cut-throat market. Very high turnover!

Positive reinforcement and patience with the sales force would lead to a more stable team and bottom line. Providing vehicles or paying mileage would increase customer service.