EY Reviews in Boston, MA

3.7
4,678 Reviews

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger
Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance (in 234 reviews)

• it's a good place to start your career (max 3 yrs) or good if you have a family (in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political (in 673 reviews)

• Same cons as working at any consulting firm -- you will be work long hours (in 711 reviews)

More Highlights

58 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent company with very nice corporate culture

Current Employee - Executive Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

EY is a really fun place to work. Somehow, the company knows how to recruit people who work very well together as a team. I have met a lot of great people here--people I will probably remain friends with for life, even if I leave the firm. I observe very little conflict, nastiness, or bad behavior in the office. The work is very interesting and challenging, the continuing education opportunities are excellent, and the compensation and benefits are excellent.

Cons

In some offices, particularly New York, there is a dire need for better office space.

Manager

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging, technical work. Partners are incredibly smart. Opportunity to work on large SEC clients or small start-up's.

Cons

Hours are excessive - expect to have over 6 months of long hours, late nights, and weekends. Managers are expected to have clients with 2 types of year-ends. Busy season can last from October to June with a September/December year-end or January to August if you have a December and June year-end. Coaching has been pushed aside due to the excessive workload.

Increase salaries to keep employees. We keep loosing trained employees who are replaced by contractors or new hires. Retention is the problem and going on a hiring spree is not the solution.

Great place to start in accounting or business fields.

Current Employee - Tax Senior in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tax Senior in Boston, MA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunities, great place for learn and network.

Cons

Work/life balance is tough, the company tries to create the sense they care about it, but actions don't match up with words.

They suck worst place to work for

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at EY full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None beside ok money there's no pros it's not worth it that's why people don't stay there

Cons

They make a habit of giving false information their hiring process is the worst I've been thru.. They gave me the run around

Step it up stop playing with peoples live

Getting better at work life balance, but still a ways to goo

Former Employee - Audit Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Audit Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at EY full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Experience with different areas, and life long friends made

Cons

Unrealistic expectations to complete certain audits.

You were all staff once. Try to remember what is was like.

ITRA Staff

Current Employee - ITRA Staff in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - ITRA Staff in Boston, MA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team & people. You are able to learn a lot and even as a staff I was able to lead meetings with the client as well as internal initiatives. Colleagues care about your development and want to see you succeed.

Cons

In the Boston office, if you are pulled into the banking side it is hard to get on other projects & clients. The work load can also be a little too much and it is difficult to maintain a work/life balance.

There is a focus on being more flexible so keep on promoting that. Listen to the Staff & Seniors when they come to you with ideas/improvements or atleast give a reason of why the option is not possible.

Overall great company to work for in the beginning of your career!

Former Employee - Tax Staff in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Tax Staff in Boston, MA

I worked at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

gaining lots of technical knowledge
    meeting great people
    only 2 years to get a senior and advanced ppl can make a manager in 4 years
    advancing in your communication and computer skills, getting more efficient
    great office and out-of-office events
    lots of nicest people to hang around in the office :)

Cons

1)aggressive market share gaining strategy resulting in work overload and understaffing.
    2)avaricious and discouraging leadership's ranking system: you might get all 4s and 5s from your teams, but still get an overall 3 (average) ranking from the leadership, inside politics matter (working harder than majority isn't enough for the leadership, well, which is true in any other company anyway probably)
    3) lots of pressure from schedulers
    4) constant new software tools and apps implementation requires you to learn this new softwares and this sometimes also creates a slowdown of your workflow

if you're planning to join as a manager or sr. manager, etc, be prepared to be pushy for your people, otherwise it's hard to retain good ppl in your team, since ppl quit all the time cause of ridiculous overload.
    Also, you'll have to work hard to propose to new clients

Good overall

Former Employee - Tax in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Tax in Boston, MA

I worked at EY full-time

Pros

Smart coworkers, good salary and benefits

Cons

Lot of hours during busy season

I feel like EY was a great place to start my career and I don't regret my decision to work there in the slightest.

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in Boston, MA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The biggest factor that EY has over its competitors is the amount of information that you learn each and every day that you can take with you as you progress in the company or take elsewhere.

Cons

They work you like a dog. Everyone knows the nature of public accounting, Big 4 in particular, being a type of employer that pays well out of college but will test your capacity to work day in and day out with very little time off. EY is no different and lives up to this reputation.

EY doesn't imbue the employee to put the "care" in career.

Current Employee - Tax Staff in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tax Staff in Boston, MA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity and ability to change specialty is easy. Salary is good if you have the right education, come in with a BA or MS in accounting and expect be paid less. Lawyers and MST holders are the best paid.

Cons

Flexability doesn't start until you're a senior manager (i.e. 8 years of experience) so as a staff, senior, or manager expect frequent long hours and year round busy season. Despite the work week requirement of only 40 hours, the general expectation throughout the year is 50.