EY

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger

Mark Weinberger

110 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A good place to work

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at EY full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat to build experience and knowledge

ConsCan be a boxed in at times, a bit political.

Wonderful company, great working environment

Supervising Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at EY full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorking with highly talented and skilled co-workers who all want to do a good job. Having modern technology and a flexible workspace where you can work from home and on the road. When coming to the office EY occupies the best buildings in the world.
Really create work place values, the Firm pushes inclusiveness and flexibility.

ConsVery high demands on you, be ready to provide 100% everyday. Not a place where slackers can get promoted.
Like many companies work life can get political, people seem to care too much what peoples ranks are instead of just focusing on their own work and helping the team in anyway.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't cut costs on occupancy expenses, while we like flexibility and working remotely, we still need world class office towers to come to.

Great people , ok work

IT Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at EY full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people , great teams, great work life balance.

ConsNot so happy with the kind of projects they have. Top heavy, so staff and seniors do limited work. this is specific to risk transformation service line. Not best pay .

Advice to Senior Managementgive staff and seniors more responsibility.
Staffing needs to be improved, right now it is hap hazard .

Good pay, stressful environment and very long hours

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at EY full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay. Few perks. Respected firm. Interesting work and projects on some major accounts. If you work very hard and do well, usually you get recognized for it. Can get extra money ($50-$250) for doing well on specific project. Very diverse group of people, with interesting backgrounds.

ConsStressful environment. Some middle management takes their stress and frustration on lower ranking staff/seniors. Overtime is EXPECTED! The idea of utilization is a total bogus. You have to work a lot of overtime to meet the requirements and hit your utilization goals. There is a lot of work that is not "chargeable" or project development which is not included in utilization calculations and therefore how busy you really are is not truly illustrated. There is a lot of politics and some managers, that have been with the firm a long time, have a lot of say, even if they are not professional/honest, just b/u they have connections. There is some favoritism. Lotus Notes is used as e-mail and it is very inefficient and you end up waisting time looking through it constantly (not easy way to search, etc.). Some management thinks you should put EY above all else. You are rated on a scale 1-5, 5 being "significantly above expectations", 4 "exceeded expectations," 3 "meet expectations", 2 "below expectations," 1"did not meet expectations." Most of the time you are at 3 and they tell you that the expectations are so high as a firm that you are at 3 and should be happy working with such as firm that expects so much (great writer/ great technically, works hard and gets things done, meets deadlines, brings ideeas…etc.). Although, the higher management rates themselves higher (4) as of course they know each other well and…politics. Many of the managers/sr. managers are definitely not 4/5. Many staff/seniors work a lot of overtime and they are rated 3. After a while you don't care b/u it is not realistic but at first it is a shocker that even if you try very hard, give everything you can, you can still get 2/3. When you get rated 4 overall (during a year), you get a bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should try to be fair-minded and treat people in lower ranks with respect. They should only accept promotions when they learn how to deal with stress and stressful situations without taking it on others and behaving unprofessionally. Personal things should not be brought to the office (moodiness). You should be more accessible and more approachable to people who are working for you. You should review people on time so that you don’t forget how hard/stressful the project was.

HORRIBLE!

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at EY full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is nothing positive about working at this place. It is horrible!! And they treat their employees like crap.

ConsEverything. Benefits are bad. Pay is bad. Hours are too long. Management is bad. The culture is bad. I never knew how wonderful a job could be until I left E&Y.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit treating your assistants like garbage. Do more for your employees.

great experience, rewarding!! Great people around you to succeed

Assurance Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at EY full-time for more than a year

ProsProfessionalism, work ethic, great collaboration

Conswork life balance. Expect working long hours and travel

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up. Pay overtime when reasonable

If you enjoy passive aggressive, this place is for you.

Senior (Former Employee)

I worked at EY full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat opportunities are available if the right people have your back and if you are willing to give up your life to work for them.
Big 4 on your resume increases career opportunities.

ConsVery passive-aggressive environment.
Terrible communication from senior managers and partners.
Reviews are based on the opinion of one or two senior managers & partners rather than your documented reviews.
Ratings are pushed down to save money on raises.
Terrible work hours, no work-life balance.
Your success is very dependent on you knowing the right people.
They reward people who complain constantly rather than hard work.
Employees are treated as if they are disposable.
Many superiors would rather do the work themselves than teach, and then turn around and give poor reviews.
You are rated against peers across the US, when opportunities are not the same. Different areas have different clients, different offices rate differently, etc.
Competition across employees is encouraged, and the teamwork aspect of audit teams is not emphasized or encouraged.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreating employees with a little respect and consideration would go a long way. Encouraging teams to work together and rely on each other rather than fostering competition within them would help audits be more efficient.

Surrounded by smart, capable people who encourage me to be my best.

Business Development Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at EY full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIdeas and innovation are welcome, though not always easy to implement due to complex matrix structure. But innovation and effort are recognized. High standards and organizational pride help keep me motivated. Leadership is open, transparent and supports our "People First" culture.

ConsMatrix structure can make change slow, but creates opportunities for those who are skilled in change management.

It was a great experience and I learned so much

Audit Senior (Former Employee)

I worked at EY full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA lot of exposure the many different industries

ConsI work very long hours and weekends. A lot of travel as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

People first culture

I have been working at EY full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place to start your career. Organized training program and onboarding process. The company talks the talk and walks the walk when it comes to people first culture with flexibility and mobility.

ConsAs it is a public accounting firm, non-assurance service lines are still somewhat ran as assurance service line. Technology is a bit behind compared to its competitors.

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EY reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EY CEO Mark Weinberger. All 110 reviews posted anonymously by EY employees.