EY

EY Reviews in London UK

Updated Jul 22, 2014

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger

Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance(in 197 reviews)

• it's a good place to start your career (max 3 yrs) or good if you have a family(in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political(in 577 reviews)

• Same cons as working at any consulting firm -- you will be work long hours(in 625 reviews)

152 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I was an intern for 6 weeks in the London office (HR Advisory team - at the time this was Tax).

Intern (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsI was given the opportunity to absorb and learn from several team members, and my placement manager was considerate in giving one-to-one sessions on a weekly basis to track my goals. I was impressed by the thought and care taken into teaching me organisational structures, how to create documents for clients, etc. There were plenty of social events arranged for interns too, including a ball at the end of the 6 weeks.

ConsThe one issue was being pigeon-holed so early on. Understandably, candidates needed to apply to a business unit. Yet as university students who have had little work experience, we didn't fully understand the differences between EY's many departments during application. After being placed in the one team, there was little opportunity to learn what others were doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider exposing interns to other areas of EY in addition to their main department.

Good place to learn and progress quickly but no work life balance and too much travel

Manager - IT Advisory (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat place to learn, plenty of training opportunities. Work to solve a forefront business problems, often in the news. Exposure to blue-ship organisations. Flexible working. Soft and supportive culture and working environment. Progression is quick if you push.

ConsVery little work life balance. Too much travel. Mon-Fri away from home for a few years is normal. Promotion process doesn't seem fair in certain areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe firm tends to promote certain "consultant" personalities. Technical people are struggle to progress. Need clearer career path for technical staff. And more effort to promote work life balance.

valuable experience

Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Proswide experience and good work colleagues

Conssalary and very long working hours.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employee friendly and collaborative environment

Audit Executive (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat place to work. EY stays ahead of the technical knowledge curve. EY has some of the most talented leadership in the financial services.

ConsLimited opportunities for growth as the performance review makes it very competitive especially when your performance is compared to peers

Very good company to work for

Executive (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsEY is a strong brand which can do wonders for your CV
    In a practice environment you are usually working on different projects with different teams solving different problems, so there is a lot of variety
    People (colleagues and partners) are exceptional

ConsPay not great
    Other benefits not great either
    No real concept of bonuses below senior manager level
    Hours can be extremely long (this is dependent on client - but I haven't had 9-5 hours at all)

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to bring in better technologies to make continuance and acceptance of clients more efficient

Mostly terrible

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsCompetent and ambitious people. Good name on cv

ConsHR sucks and they really try to squeeze money, time and energy out of you whenever they can. For a professional service firm, they are highly unprofessional when it comes to culture and remuneration.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpread the wealth. Partners need to spread the wealth more equally with the more profitable grades and the disturbing culture needs to change.

Brilliant place to be!

Advisory Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat opportunities to take your capabilities to the next level

ConsVery very competitive and steep learning curve if new to working in the environment of an audit firm as there are many regulations to comply with

Advice to Senior Managementencourage work life balance a bit more

TAS Manager

Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood environment
    Good culture
    Good work/life balance for some (not for everyone)

ConsPolitics
    Promotions are based on multiple factors
    Compensation - small increases over the years that don't even cope with inflation

Advice to Senior ManagementAttention should paid to what the employees (analyst to Senior Manager) have to say and how these things can be addressed

Opens doors

Advisory Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsPeople you work with are fantastic

ConsI don't mind working hard but the amount of work demanded is very high

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe the firm is heading in the right direction

Great for the CV, not for your health

Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsI was lucky enough to get some great projects and work with great people.
    Huge opportunity to build your network.
    ALP course is very useful, benfitted hugely from it.

ConsPay and rations poor, then Leadersip get spooked by attrition!
    Very hierarchical, therefore limited senior client exposure.
    Partners all but invisible, except when senior client meetings happen.
    Mentoring, very diffcult to come by

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and realise your people are your best resource and treat them with consideration and respect

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!