EY

EY Reviews in Michigan

Updated Apr 28, 2014

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger

Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance(in 197 reviews)

• it's a good place to start your career (max 3 yrs) or good if you have a family(in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political(in 577 reviews)

• Same cons as working at any consulting firm -- you will be work long hours(in 625 reviews)

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent environment for professional growth through technical experience and networking.

Assurance Senior (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsYou see more in public accounting than any other experience you can get in the finance world. EY Detroit specifically had the best culture of Big 4 firms, focusing on work-life balance and caring for you as an individual.

ConsThe nature of public accounting is high paced and can be long hours. While the majority of people you work with are helpful and enjoyable, you may get stuck on a job with someone who is not.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere must be a reverse review process, so employees can provide reviews for supervisors. I had a number of seniors and/or managers who were poor leaders, but who got good reviews from superiors based on limited interaction.

Decent place to start career.

Assurance Staff (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsContinuing education opportunities are bountiful. Exposure to numerous industries keeps things interesting. Engagement teams can easily make or break your experience.

ConsMany times during busy season the firm would over work you just because they could. If a deadline needs to be met, it's understandable. However, EY would try to suck as many hours out of you as possible.

Overworked

Audit Staff II (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGreat opportunities to learn new things.

ConsWay too many things to do for one person. Not enough staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging, eye-opening, and worthwhile experience.

Assurance Intern (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsInternship was very structured as far as scheduling and what my tasks would be. There was never a slow day, I was always busy, and always learning something new.

ConsA few days involved some very expected intern work (copies, getting lunch, etc.), but everyone has to do this at some point. Have a good attitude about everything you're assigned and your team will appreciate you much more.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat work advising interns! Really enjoyed my internship.

Fast-paced professional environment

Advisory Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsI work with intelligent, highly capable professionals. Teams are focused around clients/engagements and work closely together to produce a high quality output. The firm also has a strong people culture - there is no tolerance for internal discrimination or bigotry.

ConsThere's very little work-life balance - the firm HAS to be a priority. EY is demanding of employees' professional and personal time and at times can have an unrealistic expectation of their availability.

Advice to Senior ManagementEY people understand and expect the high standards the firm sets. However, in order to keep people from burning out, there needs to be explicit mentoring to help people manage the conflicting demands on their time.

Small, but awesome environment

IT Help Desk (Former Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsAwesome environment
    friendly coworkers, and Team Leads

ConsSmall environment.
    Not as fast paced as you would like to think, I would assume that's a good thing

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!!!!

Great place to work

Tax Senior (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsVery open environment, great people to work with, allow you to move throughout the firm when appropriate

ConsTax accounting isn't the most glamorous profession

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more functions outside work

Great. Good be better

Associate (Current Employee) Kalamazoo, MI

ProsPeople, learning curve, annual increase, promotions, flexibility

ConsHours, stress, conflicts of interest between management

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGrowth opportunity, talented and sharp team members with great individual experience. Growing TAS practice, making some great strides.

ConsLong hours and time away from family.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the momentum

flexible and people first

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

Prosworking with professionals, great training program and flexible work arrangement

Consconstantly changing projects and teams make it difficult to built up relationships

Advice to Senior Managementforcus more on open communication

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!