EY Reviews in New York City, NY

3.7
4,726 Reviews

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger
Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance (in 239 reviews)

• it's a good place to start your career (max 3 yrs) or good if you have a family (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political (in 680 reviews)

• Same cons as working at any consulting firm -- you will be work long hours (in 718 reviews)

More Highlights

527 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

long hours with a lot lies

Former Employee - Auditor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Auditor in New York, NY

I worked at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

big 4 accounting firms;
    kind of famous;
    some employee education
    can jump

Cons

long hours is expected for accounting firms, but what surprises me is the lies that keep getting young unsuspecting people into the door. they say they emphasize work-life balance, but work equals life; I guess that balance out the equation.

Regretful waste of 10 years of my life

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at EY full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Majority of Pros are at the junior level where you can rotate between advisory, Tax, Assurance etc and can find what you really like to do ..
    - Some great people to work with but majority of the people get caught in office politics

Cons

- Work Life balance is the worst I have seen.
    - Management makes promises that they have no intention to keep
    - Promotions are more focused on billable hours rather than the quality of work or the contribution to intellectual content of EY
    - Compensation packages are on the bottom side of industry
    - Management basically own you and if you are not responding to every beck and call, you are never getting good reviews.
    - Cutting cost in every possible way to a point where it has started to feel like a body shop rather than a prestigious top 4 consulting firm.

Practice what you preach, Making money and going to length for that shouldn't be the only goal of the management - I spent 10 years hoping that Management will respond and improve the things that we so often complain about and yet nothing has happened

Competitive environment & talented people

Former Employee - Knowledge & Analytics Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Knowledge & Analytics Manager in New York, NY

I worked at EY full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work with a+ talent and top tier companies across the globe. This will REALLY build your resume!

Cons

Contributions are not always recognized by senior level management and work/live balance is a challenge

Hire more people. Too many are getting burned out trying to live up to the demands of the job.

Very nice

Current Employee - Risk Advisory Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Risk Advisory Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at EY as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome team, cool people, paid pretty sweetly for an internship, interns get OT (which will occur frequently), Intern conference at the end of the internship is dope

Cons

Space issue definitely exists a the 5 Times Square building. Hoteling system for reserving desks causes a lot of time to be wasted on seeking out somewhere to actually work.I can't really think of many other cons because I'm more of an optimist but the space issue is a glaring problem.

Buy another building near Wall Street and stick FSO in there. It'll alleviate the space problem instantly.

ey audit

Current Employee - Audit Senior in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in New York, NY

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

opportunity to work with smart people and on good accounts. opportunity to work on various accounts, always place to grow and do more things. learning never stops pretty much. perks and benefits are probably comparable to other big 4.

Cons

difficult to move around different practices or get experience in different groups. what you personally want rarely matters, firm needs come first.

promotions are pretty straight forward, promotion is given, unless you screw up or work with an unreasonable boss, which happens sometimes. culture really depends on the team that you are working on. i have experience very different working styles, depending on who you work with. all lunches are typically consumed at the desk working

Inconsistent Experience

Current Employee - Advisory Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Its as close to "Management Consulting" experience as many will get an opportunity in, especially those who work in the industry. Also, you work on different things every few months, therefore work is interesting.

Cons

1. Senior leadership pushes the people-culture agenda, but in reality that is not always the case. Given the expected growth rate, a lot of PPEDs and senior managers are under pressure for results. Nothing wrong with it, but some are very unprofessional and expect you to drop everything to help them (including client work).

2. Given the focus on utilization, folks are being put on projects outside their field with the hope to move them as soon as possible (lucky for me, this has not been the case)

3. Some promotions are based on "perceived hard work" vs. actual quality of work performed. Not sure why this is being promoted, but this was definitely the case in this year's promotion cycle

Few years ago, this was a great firm and everyone promoted the people-culture set the senior management. Now, its more focused has shifted and its like any other firm. It does not differentiate itself for high-quality workers.

Great Culture, Low Pay

Current Employee - Business Advisory Program - Advisory Staff in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Advisory Program - Advisory Staff in New York, NY

I have been working at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture at EY is great and there is a push from management for work life balance. Good opportunities for networking.

Cons

Low Salary (in general for the Big Four). Review process is confusing and can be unfair. Even with prior work experience fast promotion is extremely hard.

Consider making the review process more transparent and re-evaluate salaries for people with advance degrees who are hired at the staff level.

Great exposure to diverse audit and risk advisory engagements building a strong core advisory foundation.

Current Employee - Manager - Risk Advisory Services in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager - Risk Advisory Services in New York, NY

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Diversity, inclusiveness, training, and extensive network of internal resources.

Cons

High emphasis on sales and navigating the political landscape at the manager and executive level; may be restricted to transition to antoher practice more aligned with your competency due to resource needs; and some great talents undervalued.

Good experience. Could be better at times. especially with better pay that commensurate the hours put in.

Current Employee - Senior in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior in New York, NY

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good employees to work with

Cons

long hours during busy season, and sometimes, off busy season (depending on the client)

Better comp that commensurate the hours put in.

VERY Busy Season

Current Employee - Audit Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Audit Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at EY as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

If you enjoy accounting, it's tough to find a better firm than EY. I worked as an Audit Intern in the real estate sector from January through March.

Benefits:
    Industry/technical knowledge
    Working with extremely competent, hardworking people.
    Great compensation - Plus, almost all of my meals were reimbursed.
    Career opportunities

Cons

Challenges:
    Work/life (im)balance - 80 hour workweeks leave little time for anything else.
    Unhappy staff/managers - Everyone is overworked and irritable.
    'Time macho' culture - Everyday is a new battle: Who will work the latest?
    Monotonous work

It was an invaluable experience, and I'm grateful for the opportunity. While I was already questioning my interest in accounting, this internship gave me the proof I needed to call it quits.

We all have lives outside of work. Sometimes it's better to go home for dinner, see your family, get a good night's sleep, and start fresh the next morning. Working from 9am-12:30am doesn't do anyone any good.