EY Reviews in Philadelphia, PA

3.7
4,485 Reviews

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger
Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance (in 199 reviews)

• it's a good place to start your career (max 3 yrs) or good if you have a family (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political (in 582 reviews)

• Same cons as working at any consulting firm -- you will be work long hours (in 634 reviews)

More Highlights

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good experience as an audit intern.

Current Employee - Audit Staff FSO  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Audit Staff FSO in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY full-time for less than a year

Pros

As an audit intern, the pay is equivalent to an audit staff. Friendly, young people.

Cons

Be prepared to travel to the client site often. You may have to commute more than an hour to the client site.

Good place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY full-time for more than a year

Pros

The staff is friendly and the work is decent. EY Cares about it's employees, so that's good. Feedback was given fairly constantly. They have a great reputation, and working here will do wonders for your resume.

Cons

It's tax work, what can I say, nothing too exciting. But, if you're into tax, there's a place for you here. Not the greatest perks, but try to get on the internship committees- it'll help you get in the fun intern events!

No complaints. It's not the very best, but it's better than the majority of companies to work for...

Senior Manager

Current Employee - Advisory Senior Manager  in  Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Advisory Senior Manager in Phila, PA

I have been working at EY full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing positive culture orientated to professional inclusion

Cons

SAP Start up with little experience at the Executive Level

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great

Current Employee - Audit Staff  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Audit Staff in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY full-time for less than a year

Pros

great training, good work culture

Cons

long hours, limited upward mobility

Good work environment and striving to do even better

Former Employee - Advisory Manager  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Advisory Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at EY full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Professional in approach, team work , and lots of travel. Learning and training are encouraged. Prsence of lot of young and aspiring aemplaoyees ready to work hard

Cons

Pecking order exists, opportunities not equal for everyone, counseling is lip service

feedback to be taken seriously, provide opportunities to employees to bring out what they are good at

Great people, long hours on sometimes tedious work

Current Employee - Audit Senior  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

most people that i worked with were extremely intelligent and outgoing individuals which made the long hours go by faster and made work more efficient. i had many mentors that sincerely seemed to care about my career. it was very good exposure to industry leaders.

Cons

the hours are long and work can be tedious whereby there are many checklists that need to be completed and test of controls that need to be performed. after a few years doing the same thing it can get boring.

N/A

FSO Audit Internship

Former Employee - Audit Staff  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Audit Staff in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at EY as an intern for less than a year

Pros

If you are an accounting major, you learn a lot. I interned in the busy season, so everyday schedule was like from 8 - midnight. In my case, I have to work in Saturday as well. I was involved with FSO which provides services for Financial institutions, so I learnt a great deal about the operation of those Asset management.

Cons

some seniors expect me to know my stuff, and do not willing to train you.

Excellent training, but don't stay too long.....

Former Employee - Heavy Manager (Stayed Too Long)  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Heavy Manager (Stayed Too Long) in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at EY full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Like all big 4 firms, the entry-level training is excellent, and access to diverse experiences is abundant. Level of responsibility growth generally outpaces industry.

Cons

Equipped with world class training, employees easily find better work/life balance and substantially better pay and benefits within industry at the heavy-senior and young manager levels. It is also at these levels that training and mentorship sharply decline, and the performance expectations become terribly ambiguous. As a result; the good people leave, the bad people are forced to leave, and the mediocre become partners.

There has to be a better answer to the work/life balance, salary and benefit issues in order to compete with industry and keep the best and brightest. The initial investment has to be too prohibitive to let good people walk out the door.

Senior Audit Position

Current Employee - Senior Accountant  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great flexibility, great growth opportunities, predictable promotions

Cons

Long hours, constant stress, mandatory work weekends, no bonuses or overtime pay

Get rid of managers who bring down the morale of the teams

People culture does not exist within senior leadership/management

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Competitive salary offers (within Advisory) and opportunities for annual performance bonuses
    2. Pretty decent expense reimbursement policy, which is nice for client-serving professionals who are frequently traveling
    3. Nice travel perks such as alternative weekend travel policy that allows client-serving staff to fly their spouses to meet them at client locations or paid travel to alternate weekend locations in-between work weeks on client-site
    4. Sick leave is not restricted to a set number of days... however, you will be lucky if anyone actually allows you to TAKE a sick day! I have sat in client offices with EY project teams, popping pills and actually bent over crying in pain, but nobody will even acknowledge that you're dying sick except to ask if you can cry more quietly.

Cons

1. No work-life balance. They will stress how important their people are during the recruiting/interview phase, and will talk your ears off about flexibility in work arrangements, 4-day travel plans for employees who travel to client-site, reasonable work hours, family values, etc. None of that exists. Most people I know had to forfeit weeks' worth of vacation hours because they were not allowed to take time off from engagements. I have had to work on paid firm/national holidays because the project teams are all led by workaholics. I am basically on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I have received phone calls on Saturday mornings at 7 am and Sunday evenings at 7 pm asking me for urgent turnaround on requests that are not in fact urgent or even project-related. There is no sense of personal space - the senior leadership basically acts as if they own us. I was told my average work week would be 45 hours per week, perhaps upwards of 50-55 on extremely high-pressured client engagements during the final delivery stages. I average 52 hours per week on a normal week, and have worked upwards of 76-80 hours per week multiple weeks in a row when we were not in a delivery stage.
    2. Benefits package is weak: poor health care coverage if you live outside the New York City area and very high premiums to pay, as well as really poor retirement savings plan (the firm really doesn't contribute very much to your retirement savings or do much in terms of contribution matching like other firms do)
    3. The people culture does not seem to resonate with those at the Partner/Principal/Executive level. They are very hands-on in terms of daily project management, are frequently micro-managers, and do not have an understanding of work-life balance.
    4. Technology is in the stone ages: you have no access to your office number unless you are sitting in an EY office. Advisory professionals are rarely in an EY office, as we are usually working on client-site 95% of the time. So you have no way of connecting with people who use your office phone. None of the firm's sites or applications are available remotely, except for a very rudimentary version of the email program on EY-secured mobile devices. This means if you go on a vacation for more than a week, you have to take your work computer with you to enter your time, as there is no remote access to time reporting. Another way to tether employees 100% of the time to the firm.

1. Stop micro-managing! Do not allow partners/principals to manage the daily operations of engagement teams. Let the project leads/engagement managers do their jobs and run the day-to-day activities of a project.
    2. Do not overwork your staff or set unreasonable expectations (e.g. 7:30 am start time every day with an end time of 10 p.m., not allowing staff to leave for lunch or to attend to personal matters if needed urgently).
    3. Do not treat your employees as if you own them. Show more appreciation and respect for them as people - they have families, health issues, personal matters to take care of. Show that you understand and respect their lives outside of work by giving them time to HAVE a life outside of work. Do not make a habit to call and email them on weekends or after hours unless it truly is an urgent, emergency request!!!

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!