EY Reviews

3.7
4,663 Reviews

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger
Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance (in 234 reviews)

• it's a good place to start your career (max 3 yrs) or good if you have a family (in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political (in 673 reviews)

• Same cons as working at any consulting firm -- you will be work long hours (in 711 reviews)

More Highlights

Big 4 CPA Firm

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at EY full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of smart folks with great training and culture.

Cons

Experience hires have a lot to learn quickly.

Better system for experience hires.

Overall positive experience in Advisory Services (Consulting)

Former Employee - Manager - Advisory Services in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager - Advisory Services in New York, NY

I worked at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Good expense policy (appropriate allowances for breakfast/dinner and you can keep all rewards points for airfare, lodging, rental cars, etc).
    -Culture is very people oriented. Flexibility and employee work/life balance is stressed greatly by management. EY stresses the importance of taking care of one another. Great maternity / parental leave policies and very flexible work arrangements are available when you need it. I often worked remote from my wife's apartment when we were long distance.
    -Work life balance is awesome (don't believe the rumors, if you're a smart person and you produce good work, EY will reward you with a generous work life balance).
    -Vacation policy! 21 days for managers plus 3 personal days and unlimited sick days.
    -Most teams will work from home on Fridays when traveling
    -EY has a program where you can decide not to accept a blackberry and instead have EY pay your personal cell bill (up to $150 / month for managers).
    -Events thrown by EY are larger than life (especially the events when you're promoted to Manager, Sr Manager, or Partner). They are truly amazing experiences.
    -Opportunity to see many different companies across a broad range of industries
    -Lots of professional development opportunities
    -High potential for advancement. You do not have to wait for a spot to "open up" to get promoted.
    -HR is wonderful
    -EY really tries to take care of employees at an individual level. If you're unhappy, you can actually talk to HR and they'll work with you to find a part of the company where you fit.

Cons

-In Advisory Services, travel can be up to 90% (but if you like to travel then this is a "pro")
    -Often our clients are in pretty remote places that take a long time to get to (ie: Peoria, IL or Wausau, WI) which makes travel exhausting and difficult.
    -Consulting in general is very sales-like. As you move up, be prepared to act more like a salsman than subject matter expert.
    -EY pays slightly lower than other similar firms
    -Annual bonus' are very low (10% is the max allowable bonus for a manager, no matter how well you perform). Bonus' for average rated employees are about 2-4%.
    -Lack of leadership training leads to senior leaders who are knowledgable but lack leadership skills
    -Projects entirely depend on the Partner and Sr Manager's interpretations of policy. Some are extremely strict with expenses and time-on-site, while others are more lax. You could perform the exact same project with different teams and have completely different experiences.
    -You rarely work on your expertise. Advisory services tend to place bodies on projects, sometimes disregarding the individuals skill set in favor of quickly staffing an engagement.
    -Although you are asked to choose a secor alignment (technology, consumer products, etc), you rarey work in your sector, instead servicing whatever industry of whatever project needs staffing next.
    -Lots of administrative tasks on a regluar basis interfer with clien-work (review process, for example, is very long).
    -Work is often repetative and boring. Because they seem to assign resources at random, you may be working on a project which you have absolutely no experience for. You'll then spend your time reading things online and desperately trying to get a clue enough so you can make wahtever deliverables your team has agreed to. Lots of PowerPoint and Excel...LOTS!

Research the consulting industry! Many of the Pro's and Con's of consulting apply here. It's not a 9-5 type of job so know what you're getting into before you join and you'll likely be pleased with EY.

I know the staffing system is currently being worked on, but any improvement in matching relevant experience and interests with client work would greatly improve morale and help employee retention. Nobody wants to be assigned to an engagement with virtually no useful experience. This creates months of feeling inadequate, frustrated, and eventually, apathetic. Employee apathy is the ultimate business killer. Also, 90% travel is very tough after a few years. All consulting firms struggle with this, but anything management can do, policy wise, to lessen the burden would help set EY's consulting apart from a potential employee point of view.

Challenging and Rewarding Role at a Prestigious Firm

Current Employee - IT Staff in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - IT Staff in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Their Vision 2020 is to become a $50 billion dollar company by 2020. This translates into the IT world as more jobs, cutting-edge hardware, and tons of interesting projects to work on. Although reorganizations are common, their end goal is to build a better company and better teams. Management is very accommodating with any personal requests and approachable. Fantastic work environment that makes you happy to go to work.

Cons

I honestly have few cons. The only one really being that having company paid benefits would be great. But due to the amount of time and money invested in employees it is a minor concern.

Good company to work for, lots of opportunities for varied experiences

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Genuinely looks to incorporate inclusiveness into all working practices, people look out for team members and actively provide opportunities for growth and development, a lot of internal progression and chances to change role / location

Cons

Relatively rigid formal progression structure, depending on role can require frequent travel and significant virtual teaming, experience can depend on specific project / clients / teams - meaning it's left to you to strategically move projects to get the best experience

Formal policy and performance metrics don't align with communications / promoted initiatives, e.g use of full utilization which encourages staff not to take PTO and thus a stressed and tired workforce

Great Company & Best Career Move I've made

Current Employee - QA Lead Analyst in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - QA Lead Analyst in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

What I like most about EY are the work flexibility program for employees, the dedicated commitment to help in local communities around the world, the amount of available learning courses, & the employee's mentorship/counseling program.

Cons

One challenge I had was working with season employees not being open to change & not embracing new hires. During the first 3-4 months, I found myself trying to constantly prove myself & skills to individuals which I wasn't reporting to, but worked on same projects; always questioning every aspect of my skill even before the project started. Fortunately, I have a good mgmt team that had confidence in my proven skill sets and supported me while assigned to the project.

Great place to cut your teeth

Former Employee - Assurance Senior in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Assurance Senior in Kansas City, MO

I worked at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligent, driven coworkers
    Performance rewarded
    Resume gold
    Great training and development
    Good exposure to upper management

Cons

Constant pressure to perform under deadlines
    Long hours can lead to burn-out

Work harder to keep top performers

staff

Former Employee - Staff in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Staff in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

large company, large benefits overall

Cons

long hours, long busy season

none

Good

I have been working at EY

Pros

It allows me to work a flexible schedule

Cons

Excepected level of overtime is high

None

Great Culture and Great Opportunities

Current Employee - Audit Staff in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Audit Staff in McLean, VA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Re-location opportunities
    High learning curve
    Great benefits
    Ability to work from home (if needed)

Cons

Compensation could be higher for Staff and Seniors
    Long work hours

N/A

Senior Manager

Current Employee - Advisory Senior Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Advisory Senior Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great for training, culture is great and there is a steady promotion path.

Cons

Compensation is low in comparison to others.