EY

3.7
4,912 Reviews

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger
Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance (in 243 reviews)

• it's a good place to start your career (max 3 yrs) or good if you have a family (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political (in 701 reviews)

• Same cons as working at any consulting firm -- you will be work long hours (in 734 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall positive experience in Advisory Services (Consulting)

Former Employee - Manager - Advisory Services in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager - Advisory Services in New York, NY

I worked at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Good expense policy (appropriate allowances for breakfast/dinner and you can keep all rewards points for airfare, lodging, rental cars, etc).
    -Culture is very people oriented. Flexibility and employee work/life balance is stressed greatly by management. EY stresses the importance of taking care of one another. Great maternity / parental leave policies and very flexible work arrangements are available when you need it. I often worked remote from my wife's apartment when we were long distance.
    -Work life balance is awesome (don't believe the rumors, if you're a smart person and you produce good work, EY will reward you with a generous work life balance).
    -Vacation policy! 21 days for managers plus 3 personal days and unlimited sick days.
    -Most teams will work from home on Fridays when traveling
    -EY has a program where you can decide not to accept a blackberry and instead have EY pay your personal cell bill (up to $150 / month for managers).
    -Events thrown by EY are larger than life (especially the events when you're promoted to Manager, Sr Manager, or Partner). They are truly amazing experiences.
    -Opportunity to see many different companies across a broad range of industries
    -Lots of professional development opportunities
    -High potential for advancement. You do not have to wait for a spot to "open up" to get promoted.
    -HR is wonderful
    -EY really tries to take care of employees at an individual level. If you're unhappy, you can actually talk to HR and they'll work with you to find a part of the company where you fit.

Cons

-In Advisory Services, travel can be up to 90% (but if you like to travel then this is a "pro")
    -Often our clients are in pretty remote places that take a long time to get to (ie: Peoria, IL or Wausau, WI) which makes travel exhausting and difficult.
    -Consulting in general is very sales-like. As you move up, be prepared to act more like a salsman than subject matter expert.
    -EY pays slightly lower than other similar firms
    -Annual bonus' are very low (10% is the max allowable bonus for a manager, no matter how well you perform). Bonus' for average rated employees are about 2-4%.
    -Lack of leadership training leads to senior leaders who are knowledgable but lack leadership skills
    -Projects entirely depend on the Partner and Sr Manager's interpretations of policy. Some are extremely strict with expenses and time-on-site, while others are more lax. You could perform the exact same project with different teams and have completely different experiences.
    -You rarely work on your expertise. Advisory services tend to place bodies on projects, sometimes disregarding the individuals skill set in favor of quickly staffing an engagement.
    -Although you are asked to choose a secor alignment (technology, consumer products, etc), you rarey work in your sector, instead servicing whatever industry of whatever project needs staffing next.
    -Lots of administrative tasks on a regluar basis interfer with clien-work (review process, for example, is very long).
    -Work is often repetative and boring. Because they seem to assign resources at random, you may be working on a project which you have absolutely no experience for. You'll then spend your time reading things online and desperately trying to get a clue enough so you can make wahtever deliverables your team has agreed to. Lots of PowerPoint and Excel...LOTS!

Research the consulting industry! Many of the Pro's and Con's of consulting apply here. It's not a 9-5 type of job so know what you're getting into before you join and you'll likely be pleased with EY.

I know the staffing system is currently being worked on, but any improvement in matching relevant experience and interests with client work would greatly improve morale and help employee retention. Nobody wants to be assigned to an engagement with virtually no useful experience. This creates months of feeling inadequate, frustrated, and eventually, apathetic. Employee apathy is the ultimate business killer. Also, 90% travel is very tough after a few years. All consulting firms struggle with this, but anything management can do, policy wise, to lessen the burden would help set EY's consulting apart from a potential employee point of view.

Great Place to Start

I worked at EY

Pros

Great working envirnoment with highly skilled co-workers
    Good corporate culture

Cons

Tough Industry
    Too may people that belive they have certain levels of authority
    Tough adjustment as a fresh college grad

Fun and interactive, you get a feel for different services.

Current Employee - LAUNCH Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - LAUNCH Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at EY

Pros

You learn about your desired profession.

Cons

The overcrowdedness at times is overbearing.

Great Company

I have been working at EY

Pros

Flexible work arrangements, career advancement

Cons

As with any large company. Red tape can sometimes get in the way.

Senior Tax Accountant

Current Employee - Senior Tax Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Accountant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

EY offers you a variety of great work opportunities specially in the tax department. When you start right off college, you get put in a diversified group which means you get to work with a variety of teams and different projects so you gain a base of tax knowledge on various things such as partnership, corporation, qualitative services, international, state and local tax. After three years, you specialize in a group but you already have a bit of knowledge on various tax areas. You work mostly with young professionals that are willing to coach you. I've had really good experiences with people and projects.

Cons

The more you advance the more demanding it gets, meaning you have to work more and more hours. Since public accounting is driven on chargeable hours, your utilization becomes the center of your life so you have to constantly be charging hours to make the goal for the year. Your promotion and bonus is dependent on that.

Good Work Culture

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at EY full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are a good employer

Cons

The culture is conservative so does not work well for getting feedback and improving on your failures

Open up and create a 360 degree feedback open process

Great experience. People genuinely care about your success!

Current Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at EY as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great support system, resources, culture, opportunities for growth

Cons

below average pay for the amount of work

Good place to work

Current Employee - Advisory Senior in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Advisory Senior in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have had a very good experience so far with EY. I work on the Performance Improvement area of advisory. Consulting really is what you make of it, and I have had the chance to select and shape the engagements that I have participated in. For me this was a great opportunity to network and take on new challenges. The support structure has been great for me, and I feel like I can reach out to anyone for assistance on any given problem that I have. My counselors and counseling family leaders have been really helpful in getting acclimated to EY and the overall culture of teaming is great.

Cons

I didn't realize how how much this becomes a sales job until I got into it. If you are good at selling and delivering good work, you will excel in this line of work.

Although delivering excellent work products is primary, EY management should help Staff, Seniors, and Managers to develop the sales skills necessary to excel in consulting.

Intern-audit

Former Employee - Audit
    Former Employee - Audit

I worked at EY as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Positive culture, diverse experience, helpful co-workers, flexible nature of the work. I worked with some very nice folks in my short experience

Cons

Long work hours at times. Interns do not typically work the long hours that the full-time employees do. But the long hours pay off in terms of the experience gained in return.

N/A

accurate reporting learnt

I worked at EY as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- rlearn to be rigorous, autonomous, learn to pay attention to details, work in the deadline environment, work with young colleagues who are dynanmic nearly the same age

Cons

maybe repetitive work and not always interesting

be sure you like au