EY

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.6 4,171 reviews

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger

Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance(in 197 reviews)

• it's a good place to start your career (max 3 yrs) or good if you have a family(in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political(in 577 reviews)

• Same cons as working at any consulting firm -- you will be work long hours(in 625 reviews)

4,171 Employee Reviews

Positive

Prosgreat working environment, good career path

Constoo busy, always working, and have no personal life

Going through transition

Tax Senior (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsEY is going through a transition to position it self for success. After the transition is complete they will be even more focused on client serving (which is great experience/exposure for everyone working at EY). This should greatly increase profits and better incentives.

ConsThey are not doing a good job communicating and keeping currently employees satisfied during the transition phase.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency, better incentives for currently employees, better recognition of hard work across the board

Job description

Audit Senior Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexibility when you are in a senior position

ConsLow pay, limited work like balance during busy season, a lot of travel

Advice to Senior Managementincrease pay

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nature of the Beast

ProsGreat fast paced environment as a recent college grad you will not get anywhere else.

ConsOffices are understaffed due to lay offs in 08-09 (but who wasn't). This has put huge demands on all levels to cover the hole.

Great Starting point

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEngaging and Challenging environment to work with colleagues and clients
    It keeps you on the edge of everything you learnt to be put to good use.
    Great starting point for Freshers

ConsOffice Politics
    Corporate Ladder is moved through one's likeness of an employee as compared to his hardwork

Advice to Senior ManagementLet Office politics go obsloete, please!

EY

Audit Senior (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsTons of opportunity to learn and create a great foundation for my career. Overall the people were great.

ConsLong hours and potentially a great deal of time out of town. Once you have a family it can be a real challenge to continue at EY, or big 4 accounting in general.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your top performers even at the lower senior levels, and promote based on abilities vs the established inflexible model.

The grass is greener at EY

Tax Senior (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsAbility to work a standard workday and leave at a decent hour and feel a sense of accomplishment. This allows people to spend time with their families and focus on family at home and work at work.
    The health insurance benefits and other benefits, such as vacation at EY, have far outweighed any I have had elsewhere
    Continuous learning and technology implementation are points I recall were very strong
    Salary is reasonable and even generous at times

ConsFeeling of inability to learn more - "Hitting a brick wall" - while option of promotion are limited or not conducive
    I really don't have much to add to this section

Lots of learning opportunities

Proschallenging assignments result in a lot of learning opportunities

Conscould be very long hours sometimes depending on projects, but not always the case. Sometimes got to put in the hard-work to get somewhere though!

Advisory Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Proswork life balance is great as long as you can meet deadlines; flexibility is encouraged for all employees

ConsWorking hours can be strenous based on projects and deadlines.

Fun people and very smart

Audit Senior (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFlexible time, fun office culture

ConsBusy seasons can get crazy, easily burnt out

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are spread too thin.

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!