EY

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.6 4,183 reviews

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger

Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance(in 197 reviews)

• it's a good place to start your career (max 3 yrs) or good if you have a family(in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political(in 577 reviews)

• Same cons as working at any consulting firm -- you will be work long hours(in 625 reviews)

4,183 Employee Reviews

Positive

Prosgreat working environment, good career path

Constoo busy, always working, and have no personal life

The grass is greener at EY

Tax Senior (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsAbility to work a standard workday and leave at a decent hour and feel a sense of accomplishment. This allows people to spend time with their families and focus on family at home and work at work.
    The health insurance benefits and other benefits, such as vacation at EY, have far outweighed any I have had elsewhere
    Continuous learning and technology implementation are points I recall were very strong
    Salary is reasonable and even generous at times

ConsFeeling of inability to learn more - "Hitting a brick wall" - while option of promotion are limited or not conducive
    I really don't have much to add to this section

Going through transition

Tax Senior (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsEY is going through a transition to position it self for success. After the transition is complete they will be even more focused on client serving (which is great experience/exposure for everyone working at EY). This should greatly increase profits and better incentives.

ConsThey are not doing a good job communicating and keeping currently employees satisfied during the transition phase.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency, better incentives for currently employees, better recognition of hard work across the board

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people culture but too conservative

Advisory Manager (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsHaving worked at Deloitte and a small firm in addition to time in industry, the people culture at EY is fantastic and collegiate. When I got sick, though I missed no time, their primary concern was with my health and not the project, and that spoke volumes about the partnership there. They have an interest in developing their people and are invested in making sure they develop and succeed.

ConsThat said, they are cheap, everything from their travel policies, not covering lunch, push back on expenses, and most of all, really poor technology applications internal to the company.

Applications are a decade behind in terms of time and expenses, travel, and internal cost modeling for projects. When they push technology updates, they often fail to regression test.

Booking travel is difficult and they select individual hotels to structure deals rather than the chains at large, which can make traveling, more of a headache.

There is also often a disparity in the quality of consultant. There are standouts who would be rockstars anywhere, be it Accenture, Deloitte, IBM, etc, however there is often a gap and screening potential applicants for skills is lacking. There are consultants hired who are difficult to staff, even with an MBA because there skills don't transfer. This results in some of us who are beyond staffed out managing multiple projects concurrently and focusing on business development, and delivering the consultant level work products. This can spread some people thin.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better screening for potential applicants.

Focus on identifying consultants with both business skills and technical skills, in addition to better developing your college hires.

Be less conservative. A tax/audit account isn't likely as lucrative as a potential advisory account. 6 or 7M in revenue pails in comparison to a deal with an IT offering that can't be partnered with because they are channel one, or not green-lighting consulting work, because they might bid for the channel 1 account.

Great Launcing Point

Valuation Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsStrong network and opportunities to really build experience working in a lot of different industries. You also work with tons of teams and learn a nice set of skills whether its learning Audit skills or gaining a deeper understanding about finance and accounting, especially when it comes to applications of concepts.

ConsIt can be easy to get stuck in a specialized role which can limit exit opportunities. The key is to know when to take your experience and move on to the next thing.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great place to START your career

Prosgreat training, great exposure to clients, opportunity to see a lot and travel if you seek it out. no one will hand anything to you so speak up!

Consthe firms model in certain practices is changing and not for the best

Advice to Senior Managementhelp people focus on technical skills and develop a focus

Working at EY

Pros- Exposure
    - Network
    - Growth
    - Learning opportunities

Cons- Long hours and High pressure

Job description

Audit Senior Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexibility when you are in a senior position

ConsLow pay, limited work like balance during busy season, a lot of travel

Advice to Senior Managementincrease pay

Good Opportunities, High Burnout, low control of experiences

Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsEY is a fantastic company, great people, great culture and largely great experiences. The firm has done a great job making it seem small through counseling families. The people here genuinely care about you as a person and the firm really does invest in great "milestone" events.

ConsIt's hard to really control your experiences here. On the Advisory side of the house, EY is still trying to figure out what it wants to be and what it wants to message to the market. A lot of the policies and procedures are still audit focused which can be over burdensome and bureaucratic sometimes. Management Consultants will be worked pretty hard and will usually be sent where the money is. Flexibility messaging is still geared towards audit busy season as opposed to what works for other parts of the business

Sure the firm has invested in "Experience Managers" to help with placement. I have found that these Experience Managers rarely have conversations with you about where you want to go with your career. It is a largely go it alone approach

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider building out your learning and develop capabilities. Sector specific and competency knowledge is sorely lacking. Consider a revamp to compensation and leveling people quickly. Think about how your communication comes across - messaging via email is still drafted as if its a formal memo, voicemails are not transcribed and are plentiful and messaging remains audit focused.

Nature of the Beast

ProsGreat fast paced environment as a recent college grad you will not get anywhere else.

ConsOffices are understaffed due to lay offs in 08-09 (but who wasn't). This has put huge demands on all levels to cover the hole.

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!