EY

Updated Jul 27, 2014

3.6 4,198 reviews

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger

Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance(in 199 reviews)

• it's a good place to start your career (max 3 yrs) or good if you have a family(in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political(in 582 reviews)

• Same cons as working at any consulting firm -- you will be work long hours(in 634 reviews)

4,198 Employee Reviews

Positive

Prosgreat working environment, good career path

Constoo busy, always working, and have no personal life

The grass is greener at EY

Tax Senior (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsAbility to work a standard workday and leave at a decent hour and feel a sense of accomplishment. This allows people to spend time with their families and focus on family at home and work at work.
    The health insurance benefits and other benefits, such as vacation at EY, have far outweighed any I have had elsewhere
    Continuous learning and technology implementation are points I recall were very strong
    Salary is reasonable and even generous at times

ConsFeeling of inability to learn more - "Hitting a brick wall" - while option of promotion are limited or not conducive
    I really don't have much to add to this section

great people

Executive Director (Current Employee)

ProsFor someone who loves the technical ins and outs of tax, this place had so many people who share that love. And they're not just tax nerds, they're interesting people in their own right. Good to talk to, about tax and about so many other interests. Not all of these people by any means are at National Tax, but that is where the concentration is strongest. For me, the ability to talk to the people who wrote "The Treatise" on whatever the issue is incredibly intellectually stimulating.

ConsToo much management from above, but then, with every enterprise, "the field" has always thought "headquarters" people were fools.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the technology of big data to relieve the admin burden on the partners.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to START your career

Prosgreat training, great exposure to clients, opportunity to see a lot and travel if you seek it out. no one will hand anything to you so speak up!

Consthe firms model in certain practices is changing and not for the best

Advice to Senior Managementhelp people focus on technical skills and develop a focus

Challenging Dynamic Experience

Advisory Senior (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsEY has a vast amount of talented people and many opportunities to get exposed to challenging projects and roles. The culture is strong and people have a sense of pride for the work they do and the firm as a whole is a very enjoyable place to be employed.

ConsNetworking internally is very important for advancement and there is quite a bit of turnover. Be advised to build strong relationships and approach things from an "I'm my own CEO" mindset if you wish to advance and have success at EY.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize the human resources around you top to bottom to source new relationships in the industry and mentor younger employees into the way of building the business.

Great place, people if you're on the right project

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

Proscareer growth, great street credentials, flexibility of work

Consbenefits and compensation not as good as other Big 4, time off is less, hours can be long

Great place to start career

Summer Intern (Current Employee)

Prosthe people are very approachable and helpful. They give you real work to do.

ConsThere are none so far.

Not terrible

Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWork with smart people, get great experience through a variety of clients and industries, and a good amount of vacation.

ConsReview system "curves" employee ratings. Demanding hours - work/life balance is window dressing. Staffing approach is reactive as opposed to proactive.

Going through transition

Tax Senior (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsEY is going through a transition to position it self for success. After the transition is complete they will be even more focused on client serving (which is great experience/exposure for everyone working at EY). This should greatly increase profits and better incentives.

ConsThey are not doing a good job communicating and keeping currently employees satisfied during the transition phase.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency, better incentives for currently employees, better recognition of hard work across the board

Great people culture but too conservative

Advisory Manager (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsHaving worked at Deloitte and a small firm in addition to time in industry, the people culture at EY is fantastic and collegiate. When I got sick, though I missed no time, their primary concern was with my health and not the project, and that spoke volumes about the partnership there. They have an interest in developing their people and are invested in making sure they develop and succeed.

ConsThat said, they are cheap, everything from their travel policies, not covering lunch, push back on expenses, and most of all, really poor technology applications internal to the company.

Applications are a decade behind in terms of time and expenses, travel, and internal cost modeling for projects. When they push technology updates, they often fail to regression test.

Booking travel is difficult and they select individual hotels to structure deals rather than the chains at large, which can make traveling, more of a headache.

There is also often a disparity in the quality of consultant. There are standouts who would be rockstars anywhere, be it Accenture, Deloitte, IBM, etc, however there is often a gap and screening potential applicants for skills is lacking. There are consultants hired who are difficult to staff, even with an MBA because there skills don't transfer. This results in some of us who are beyond staffed out managing multiple projects concurrently and focusing on business development, and delivering the consultant level work products. This can spread some people thin.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better screening for potential applicants.

Focus on identifying consultants with both business skills and technical skills, in addition to better developing your college hires.

Be less conservative. A tax/audit account isn't likely as lucrative as a potential advisory account. 6 or 7M in revenue pails in comparison to a deal with an IT offering that can't be partnered with because they are channel one, or not green-lighting consulting work, because they might bid for the channel 1 account.

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!