EY

3.7
5,079 Reviews

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger
Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance (in 243 reviews)

• it's a good place to start your career (max 3 yrs) or good if you have a family (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political (in 701 reviews)

• Same cons as working at any consulting firm -- you will be work long hours (in 734 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Current Employee - Marketing Communications in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications in Chicago, IL

I have been working at EY full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Community of professionals, collegial and nice

Cons

Very hierarchical organization, serious corporate atmosphere

All seems well

Overall positive experience in Advisory Services (Consulting)

Former Employee - Manager - Advisory Services in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager - Advisory Services in New York, NY

I worked at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Good expense policy (appropriate allowances for breakfast/dinner and you can keep all rewards points for airfare, lodging, rental cars, etc).
    -Culture is very people oriented. Flexibility and employee work/life balance is stressed greatly by management. EY stresses the importance of taking care of one another. Great maternity / parental leave policies and very flexible work arrangements are available when you need it. I often worked remote from my wife's apartment when we were long distance.
    -Work life balance is awesome (don't believe the rumors, if you're a smart person and you produce good work, EY will reward you with a generous work life balance).
    -Vacation policy! 21 days for managers plus 3 personal days and unlimited sick days.
    -Most teams will work from home on Fridays when traveling
    -EY has a program where you can decide not to accept a blackberry and instead have EY pay your personal cell bill (up to $150 / month for managers).
    -Events thrown by EY are larger than life (especially the events when you're promoted to Manager, Sr Manager, or Partner). They are truly amazing experiences.
    -Opportunity to see many different companies across a broad range of industries
    -Lots of professional development opportunities
    -High potential for advancement. You do not have to wait for a spot to "open up" to get promoted.
    -HR is wonderful
    -EY really tries to take care of employees at an individual level. If you're unhappy, you can actually talk to HR and they'll work with you to find a part of the company where you fit.

Cons

-In Advisory Services, travel can be up to 90% (but if you like to travel then this is a "pro")
    -Often our clients are in pretty remote places that take a long time to get to (ie: Peoria, IL or Wausau, WI) which makes travel exhausting and difficult.
    -Consulting in general is very sales-like. As you move up, be prepared to act more like a salsman than subject matter expert.
    -EY pays slightly lower than other similar firms
    -Annual bonus' are very low (10% is the max allowable bonus for a manager, no matter how well you perform). Bonus' for average rated employees are about 2-4%.
    -Lack of leadership training leads to senior leaders who are knowledgable but lack leadership skills
    -Projects entirely depend on the Partner and Sr Manager's interpretations of policy. Some are extremely strict with expenses and time-on-site, while others are more lax. You could perform the exact same project with different teams and have completely different experiences.
    -You rarely work on your expertise. Advisory services tend to place bodies on projects, sometimes disregarding the individuals skill set in favor of quickly staffing an engagement.
    -Although you are asked to choose a secor alignment (technology, consumer products, etc), you rarey work in your sector, instead servicing whatever industry of whatever project needs staffing next.
    -Lots of administrative tasks on a regluar basis interfer with clien-work (review process, for example, is very long).
    -Work is often repetative and boring. Because they seem to assign resources at random, you may be working on a project which you have absolutely no experience for. You'll then spend your time reading things online and desperately trying to get a clue enough so you can make wahtever deliverables your team has agreed to. Lots of PowerPoint and Excel...LOTS!

Research the consulting industry! Many of the Pro's and Con's of consulting apply here. It's not a 9-5 type of job so know what you're getting into before you join and you'll likely be pleased with EY.

I know the staffing system is currently being worked on, but any improvement in matching relevant experience and interests with client work would greatly improve morale and help employee retention. Nobody wants to be assigned to an engagement with virtually no useful experience. This creates months of feeling inadequate, frustrated, and eventually, apathetic. Employee apathy is the ultimate business killer. Also, 90% travel is very tough after a few years. All consulting firms struggle with this, but anything management can do, policy wise, to lessen the burden would help set EY's consulting apart from a potential employee point of view.

Great Job

I have been working at EY

Pros

Great work life balance outside of busy season. Exciting work and will keep you on your feet.

Cons

Busy season can be very long hours.

Positive working environment with a personal approch

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Personal experience despite size
     - Global reach: you get to work with the world's most influential companies and you get to do so with a very diverse team.
    - All about getting the most of each employee - providing a personal development route to every individual.

Cons

Not all EY offices are made equal - as it is a partnership and not a real global firm, you will notice that different EY firms are not as good to their employees as much as the US or UK firms.

Good place for long term career

Current Employee - TAS Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - TAS Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at EY

Pros

People culture, varied assignments, growth and investment

Cons

Training infrastructure in certain areas still emerging, compensation relative to competitors

Recruiting Manager

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have found the culture at EY to be second to none. The people that we work with and the leaders that we work for are all top notch and often some of the best and brightest in their field. I have personally found the flexibility to be outstanding. Yes, we work hard, but many of us are able to work from home and/or have flexibility of the hours that we work. As long as the work gets done, I find that management doesn't much care whether or not you work a typical 9-5 or finish your work at 10 PM after your kids have gone to bed.

Cons

It is an incredibly complex environment. Our new employee will need to be comfortable asking questions and will need to have patience with themselves as it will take time for them to truly learn our business.

Encourage employees to bubble up new ideas and be open to implementing the good ideas. Allow for more face to face time with internal teams and clients.

Tax Staff

I have been working at EY

Pros

Great people, lots of opportunities to grow

Cons

Long hours, life at a big company

Inclusive culture from partners to staff

Former Employee - Supervising Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Supervising Associate in New York, NY

I worked at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros include: The culture is inclusive and is demonstrated from the top down, the travel opportunities are limitless and world class training all make EY a great place to work.

Cons

The downside to EY is that middle management leaves a lot to be desired, communication was infrequent, promotions are based on age.

Good Experience

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great People and lots of learning opportunities

Cons

very long hours, weekend work

Developed a lot as a professional and personally.

I have been working at EY

Pros

Learn a lot, good collaborative environment with a lot of oppotunities

Cons

Not enough communication about changes in the office. A lot of politics.

Need more partner involvement with recruiting and senior/staff level