EY

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.6 4,208 reviews

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger

Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance (in 199 reviews)

• it's a good place to start your career (max 3 yrs) or good if you have a family (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political (in 582 reviews)

• Same cons as working at any consulting firm -- you will be work long hours (in 634 reviews)

More Highlights
4,208 Employee Reviews

E&Y is a good place to work with quality people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

Prosgreat employees to work with

Consreally busy, but otherwise no cons

Going through transition

Tax Senior (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsEY is going through a transition to position it self for success. After the transition is complete they will be even more focused on client serving (which is great experience/exposure for everyone working at EY). This should greatly increase profits and better incentives.

ConsThey are not doing a good job communicating and keeping currently employees satisfied during the transition phase.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency, better incentives for currently employees, better recognition of hard work across the board

Positive

Prosgreat working environment, good career path

Constoo busy, always working, and have no personal life

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe staff is friendly and the work is decent. EY Cares about it's employees, so that's good. Feedback was given fairly constantly. They have a great reputation, and working here will do wonders for your resume.

ConsIt's tax work, what can I say, nothing too exciting. But, if you're into tax, there's a place for you here. Not the greatest perks, but try to get on the internship committees- it'll help you get in the fun intern events!

Advice to Senior ManagementNo complaints. It's not the very best, but it's better than the majority of companies to work for...

Excellent Culture but pay needs to improve

Advisory Senior (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe best thing about EY is its culture. People honestly care about each other and try to help as much as possible. While people are competitive they never cross the line and respect personal relationships. EY also goes to great lengths to accommodate personal needs of its employees. Overall, I think it would be very hard to find another consulting firm with such strong people oriented culture.

ConsPay and Benefits are below the consulting industry average and the bonus payments are too low to act an incentive. EY needs to set clear expectations around pay for new comers before they join the firm. A lot of new hire MBA are quickly disappointed to note that their salaries will almost remain the same for the first 3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on people culture and make sure pay hikes and bonuses are re-calibrated to match with the rest of the industry. Everyone works very hard in the consulting industry and not having these efforts recognized by adequate pay hikes/bonus payments will severely demotivate employees. Improve the year-end review process by making it more efficient and transparent.

Intern at EY

ProsGood team environment. Office in Times Square. Good reputation in the industry.

ConsCan be bureaucratic. Interns don't get paid very well.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage more with junior staff

Good Opportunities, High Burnout, low control of experiences

Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsEY is a fantastic company, great people, great culture and largely great experiences. The firm has done a great job making it seem small through counseling families. The people here genuinely care about you as a person and the firm really does invest in great "milestone" events.

ConsIt's hard to really control your experiences here. On the Advisory side of the house, EY is still trying to figure out what it wants to be and what it wants to message to the market. A lot of the policies and procedures are still audit focused which can be over burdensome and bureaucratic sometimes. Management Consultants will be worked pretty hard and will usually be sent where the money is. Flexibility messaging is still geared towards audit busy season as opposed to what works for other parts of the business

Sure the firm has invested in "Experience Managers" to help with placement. I have found that these Experience Managers rarely have conversations with you about where you want to go with your career. It is a largely go it alone approach

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider building out your learning and develop capabilities. Sector specific and competency knowledge is sorely lacking. Consider a revamp to compensation and leveling people quickly. Think about how your communication comes across - messaging via email is still drafted as if its a formal memo, voicemails are not transcribed and are plentiful and messaging remains audit focused.

great people

Executive Director (Current Employee)

ProsFor someone who loves the technical ins and outs of tax, this place had so many people who share that love. And they're not just tax nerds, they're interesting people in their own right. Good to talk to, about tax and about so many other interests. Not all of these people by any means are at National Tax, but that is where the concentration is strongest. For me, the ability to talk to the people who wrote "The Treatise" on whatever the issue is incredibly intellectually stimulating.

ConsToo much management from above, but then, with every enterprise, "the field" has always thought "headquarters" people were fools.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the technology of big data to relieve the admin burden on the partners.

Good place

ProsFriendly people and nice environment

ConsNothing as of yet that I know of

The grass is greener at EY

Tax Senior (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsAbility to work a standard workday and leave at a decent hour and feel a sense of accomplishment. This allows people to spend time with their families and focus on family at home and work at work.
    The health insurance benefits and other benefits, such as vacation at EY, have far outweighed any I have had elsewhere
    Continuous learning and technology implementation are points I recall were very strong
    Salary is reasonable and even generous at times

ConsFeeling of inability to learn more - "Hitting a brick wall" - while option of promotion are limited or not conducive
    I really don't have much to add to this section

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!