EY Reviews

3.7
EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger
Mark Weinberger
1,190 Ratings

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance (in 243 reviews)

• Best Place to Start a Career in Accounting (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance (non-existent) (in 701 reviews)

• Work/life balance isn't that great as you must work long hours to compensate for the lack of staff during the busy season (in 734 reviews)

5,755 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Great experience in short time.

I have been working at EY

Pros

Great culture. People are amazing.

Cons

Work/life balance is lacking in some cases

Advice to Management

Empower employees to further improve processes. Remove internal company politics.

Overall positive experience in Advisory Services (Consulting)

Former Employee - Manager - Advisory Services in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager - Advisory Services in New York, NY

I worked at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good expense policy (appropriate allowances for breakfast/dinner and you can keep all rewards points for airfare, lodging, rental cars, etc).
    -Culture is very people oriented. Flexibility and employee work/life balance is stressed greatly by management. EY stresses the importance of taking care of one another. Great maternity / parental leave policies and very flexible work arrangements are available when you need it. I often worked remote from my wife's apartment when we were long distance.
    -Work life balance is awesome (don't believe the rumors, if you're a smart person and you produce good work, EY will reward you with a generous work life balance).
    -Vacation policy! 21 days for managers plus 3 personal days and unlimited sick days.
    -Most teams will work from home on Fridays when traveling
    -EY has a program where you can decide not to accept a blackberry and instead have EY pay your personal cell bill (up to $150 / month for managers).
    -Events thrown by EY are larger than life (especially the events when you're promoted to Manager, Sr Manager, or Partner). They are truly amazing experiences.
    -Opportunity to see many different companies across a broad range of industries
    -Lots of professional development opportunities
    -High potential for advancement. You do not have to wait for a spot to "open up" to get promoted.
    -HR is wonderful
    -EY really tries to take care of employees at an individual level. If you're unhappy, you can actually talk to HR and they'll work with you to find a part of the company where you fit.

Cons

-In Advisory Services, travel can be up to 90% (but if you like to travel then this is a "pro")
    -Often our clients are in pretty remote places that take a long time to get to (ie: Peoria, IL or Wausau, WI) which makes travel exhausting and difficult.
    -Consulting in general is very sales-like. As you move up, be prepared to act more like a salsman than subject matter expert.
    -EY pays slightly lower than other similar firms
    -Annual bonus' are very low (10% is the max allowable bonus for a manager, no matter how well you perform). Bonus' for average rated employees are about 2-4%.
    -Lack of leadership training leads to senior leaders who are knowledgable but lack leadership skills
    -Projects entirely depend on the Partner and Sr Manager's interpretations of policy. Some are extremely strict with expenses and time-on-site, while others are more lax. You could perform the exact same project with different teams and have completely different experiences.
    -You rarely work on your expertise. Advisory services tend to place bodies on projects, sometimes disregarding the individuals skill set in favor of quickly staffing an engagement.
    -Although you are asked to choose a secor alignment (technology, consumer products, etc), you rarey work in your sector, instead servicing whatever industry of whatever project needs staffing next.
    -Lots of administrative tasks on a regluar basis interfer with clien-work (review process, for example, is very long).
    -Work is often repetative and boring. Because they seem to assign resources at random, you may be working on a project which you have absolutely no experience for. You'll then spend your time reading things online and desperately trying to get a clue enough so you can make wahtever deliverables your team has agreed to. Lots of PowerPoint and Excel...LOTS!

Research the consulting industry! Many of the Pro's and Con's of consulting apply here. It's not a 9-5 type of job so know what you're getting into before you join and you'll likely be pleased with EY.

Advice to Management

I know the staffing system is currently being worked on, but any improvement in matching relevant experience and interests with client work would greatly improve morale and help employee retention. Nobody wants to be assigned to an engagement with virtually no useful experience. This creates months of feeling inadequate, frustrated, and eventually, apathetic. Employee apathy is the ultimate business killer. Also, 90% travel is very tough after a few years. All consulting firms struggle with this, but anything management can do, policy wise, to lessen the burden would help set EY's consulting apart from a potential employee point of view.

I could have it all if only my job were local

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at EY (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, flexible work situations, appreciation for holidays, vacation time and personal/family time. Working from home on Fridays in my pjs may be one of my favorite things. Hours are longer than industry but far fewer than traditional consulting (8 am -6 or 6:30 pm is a traditional day)

Cons

Travel. Fun at first, gets old after a while.

Advice to Management

I love my job, but the job requires mostly traveling. That is the only one thing that would be the reason I would leave. I'm not against traveling in the future, but I wish there were more options available to people who didn't want to travel for a couple of years such as when family situations change, for example. If those things exist, perhaps making them well known.

Everything is great about EY, except for busy season hours.

Current Employee - Tax Senior in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tax Senior in New York, NY

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot! Great experience, great exit opportunities (everyone wants to have you in their team after EY), smartest people, abundant resources, pleasant culture, great perks, up to 12 weeks of paid maternity leave...

Cons

You'll have 40hrs on your timesheet in 3 days during the busy season. 80-100+hr workweeks are common. Both, March-April and September-October busy seasons are extreme. Expect to work Saturdays and Sundays. Have to really watch your health during that time: weight loss, dehydration, fainting, back pains, insomnia, heartaches and nervous breakdowns happen to a lot of people.

6. Big 4 with Family Values

Current Employee - Advisory Senior
    Current Employee - Advisory Senior

I have been working at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, excellent benefits. Hours are less than a typical Big 4 (avg 50-55 hours a week). Goes beyond the "teamwork" environment to really feel like family. When I got very ill, the partner on my engagement cancelled the rest of his day and night to stay with me in the hospital.

Cons

Partners and senior managers tend to sell whatever is selling regardless of the skill sets of lower level consultants. Specializations are very broad, so you could constantly have to learn a whole new field... hard to build long term experience in a specialty to transition to private sector.

Advice to Management

The family culture and values should be kept and reinforced as the company continues to grow.

7. Associate

I worked at EY

Pros

Great people, great culture, great hours

Cons

Everything is great till you get to busy season. Underpaid considering hours worked.

8. Great place to work!

I have been working at EY

Pros

Diversity
    Benefits
    Opportunities
    Training
    Great partners

Cons

Big office
    Loosen management
    Underpaid
    Name
    Office size

Advice to Management

More training

9. Good place to start a career

I worked at EY

Pros

Good exit opportunities, ability to work on various project, can work from home a lot, very flexible hours (if you have any hobbies you want to continue doing), great people (the best I have worked with in my career)

Cons

Low compensation compared to other companies in similar industries. Very hard to get a good rating at the end of the year, but doable if have the support of your managers.

Advice to Management

Take greater interest into lower level employees development, make sure to coach people below you so that they keep learning and acquire skills that allow to work on various projects so that they don't get stuck on the same projects.

10. Tax staff 1

Current Employee - Tax Staff in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tax Staff in Boston, MA

I have been working at EY

Pros

Nice people, great client base

Cons

Long hours during busy season

11. Senior Consultant

Current Employee - FSO Advisory in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - FSO Advisory in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EY (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working culture and management

Cons

Improve work life balance and pay

Showing 5,755 of 6,170 reviews