EY
3.6 of 5 3,788 reviews
www.ey.com London, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

EY Reviews

Pros:
  • "Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance"
    in 175 reviews
  • "A good place to start if you want a career in accounting"
    in 90 reviews
Cons:
  • "very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political"
    in 516 reviews
  • "On many critical assignments, you will have to put in long hours on a consistent basis"
    in 568 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place to work.

Manager (Current Employee)
South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EY

ProsThe people are the best. I really enjoyed working with some of the most well-round, intelligent people among the Big 4 accounting firms. Culture at the firm is great and team oriented. If you like accounting you will fit right in. There is also a lot of freedom to move from project to project.

ConsOne downside is that there is no clear execution of their corporate strategy. It was difficult hearing about the plan and then not seeing any changes occur. Another downside is that you need to take a very active role in navigating your career at the firm and find your own projects. It is helpful to communicate your career goals to your senior managers and partners, they will take your goals into consideration, but you will get staff where you are needed regardless.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise senior management to provide a clear plan and execute the plan.

Excellent perks but you will work hard for it

Atlanta, GA

I have been working at EY

ProsI'm love technology and EY makes excellent use of it. They stay current and provide a stable, easy to use infrastructure to get the job done. EY provides excellent benefits and time off. I love the 4 day weekends. I can honestly say that my management is flexible and understanding when you need them to be.

ConsUnrealistic expectations. Will work you like a dog. The performance management process is brutal. You have to write goals, then before you know it, your midyear is due...what wait...Annual is right around the corner. At last, time to rest, oh wait, your goals are due. Like I said Brutal!

Advice to Senior ManagementLike it will help

Hard work, fair pay,

Manager, Transaction Advisory Services, Business Valuation (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at EY

ProsName recognition. Upward opportunity if you stick around to become partner.

ConsHigh time commitments. The work life balance is weighted very strongly toward work. However to be fair if you communicate personal needs managers will do their best to accommodate. The performance reviews are a forced curve so some great performers are reviewed as underperforming. Lack of transparency in the bonus system.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake bonus and review process more transparent. Make expectations clear and measure against those. Eliminate the "black box". Own up to the fact that it is ac challenging place to work. Constantly highlighting the rare measures being taken to assist certain individuals makes it seem like those opportunities are available to all employees, when in fact only 10% will be able to take advantage of them. And peers and managers will make you feel guilty for shifting work.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work and learn

Manager (Current Employee)
Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at EY

ProsGreat place to work with qualified motivated people and advance your career. Great advancement opportunities, competitive wages. You end up advancing quickly, and rarely doing the same thing more than twice - - which can be uneasy, but I think is good because you end up moving on to learn other things.

ConsTransient population - so you're not sure you'll be working with the same people next year, which can be a good thing though, since it means that you aren't waiting for someone to be promoted for you to get promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that the career planning is well set for the employees - - there can be a tendancy to manage 6-12 months out, only.

Great place to work.

Staff Auditor (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EY

ProsCare for employees. There is a true sense of care when you go through orientation. This can be both a place you can make a career with or as a great stepping stone into a job you may want. High turnover may mean faster promotion.

ConsMaybe the lower starting salary and the hours you have to work during busy season.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the good work with growth process but make sure the quality is consistent.

"The People"

Advisory Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

ProsPeople, Learning , growth and Flexibility

ConsCompensation, Long hours, not so open communication...

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen Communication, increase compensation to attract and reatin top candidates

Good Company - Great People.

Audit Senior Associate (Current Employee)
Richmond, VA

I have been working at EY

ProsGood Company - great people.

ConsNohting I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Working at Ernst & Young is a valuable experience overall

I have been working at EY

ProsDiverisity awareness. Good will of management - they want to do the right thing even when they don't always manage to

ConsPromotions and raises are perceived to be given arbitrarily; long hours; small or no bonuses

Advice to Senior Managementmore transparency in salaries and other management decisions - may be difficult to achieve in a secretive partnership culture

Great place to start a career, but bad place to make money.

Audit Senior (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at EY

ProsEY is a great place to start a career. EY has great clients and great training and learning tools.

ConsAlthough EY is a great place to start a career, you will be overworked and underpaid.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the mid-level workers and comparable pay to other jobs and industries to retain these workers.

Great place to work if you are willing to work hard.

Transaction Advisory Services Staff (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at EY

Pros-Great knowledge sharing
-Great brand name
-Emphasis on rotations, if you rate highly

Cons-Long hours, but that is industry-standard
-Bad expense reimbursement policies

Advice to Senior Management-Continue to build up the lower levels for later success
-Work on retention
-Improve expense reimbursement policies

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EY reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EY CEO Mark Weinberger. All 204 reviews posted anonymously by EY employees.