EY Reviews

3.7
4,460 Reviews

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger
Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance (in 199 reviews)

• it's a good place to start your career (max 3 yrs) or good if you have a family (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political (in 582 reviews)

• Same cons as working at any consulting firm -- you will be work long hours (in 634 reviews)

More Highlights

Hit targets ... more to share amongst partners (forget the rest)

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at EY full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with cross-cultural teams
    People attracted to the firm are generally of a capable nature

Cons

No opportunities for true people management - industry provides a better structure and experience
    Partners are extremely selfish and greedy - we have hit our revenue and profit targets for the year, but the bonuses and salary increases are laughable - we make jokes about pooling our bonuses to buy a coffee
    The underlying technology and infrastructure is woeful - they talk about "Building a Better Working World" for our clients ... but forget you need to start at home to make a difference and for the employees to truly buy into the new positioning

You talk about being the most internationally integrated firm ... yet the behaviors and decisions are far from it. You penalize employees who have transferred within the firm and treat them like new joiners, without acknowledging their efforts and contributions to the global firm and the global objectives.

So much more to say ...

A place where you have to work with a bunch of jerks.

Former Employee - Translator  in  Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Translator in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at EY full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A fairly nice office environment.

Cons

Hong Kong employees and brown-nosers are actually monopolizing all opportunities of personal growth in Beijing Office.

Stop enjoying being brown-nosed and indifferent to nothing but your own pockets.

A nightmare from day 1 until exit

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Athens (Greece)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Athens (Greece)

I worked at EY full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work experience
    Exposure to the industry - clients
    Networking opportunities

Cons

Horrible working hours
    Ridiculous salaries
    Very unhealthy environment - full of double faced people, competition in its worse version

Do sth to change the current status, will make your best people leave sooner or later - but I guess you already know that..

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst Place for Tax trainees, worst Tax partner having no regard for young professionals career progression (Islamabad)

Former Employee - Tax Senior  in  Islamabad, Islamabad (Pakistan)
    Former Employee - Tax Senior in Islamabad, Islamabad (Pakistan)

I worked at EY full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

(Strictly for Islamabad, Pakistan)
    You will find well dressed people only.
    Your communication skills will be polished
    Other than Tax all departments are brilliant

Cons

(Strictly for Islamabad, Pakistan)
    Tax Department Sucks
    Tax Trainees are treated like a bunch of junkies
    No sincere efforts for the career progression of trainees especially for tax trainees.
    Unqualified people working in the tax department except partner, so dont expect any learning.
    No grooming of tax trainees
    No learning opportunity provided by the tax partner if one want to move or learn some from the assurance department.

(Strictly for Islamabad, Pakistan)
    HR should be independent, tax trainees should be given a chance to be a part of assurance department too, Besides a tax paartner, rather than taking benefit by sacrificng the career of young tax trainees who has no future, should provide them a secure career path.
    I wish the Karachi partners show some interest in this area for the sake of tax trainees who are not being treated well and are prohibited strictly to transfer in the assurance department even after spending a lot of time within the tax department.
    Contrary to EY, PWC & KPMG has opposite strategy they give a clear chance of movement to assurance department after spending a very mimimum period in the tax department. But EY has some internal grudges with audit partners or i dont know what. I guess this thing should be taken as a notice by the karachi partners as well as global partners to take action against these rigid partners who has no concern for the future of young professionals. I guess at EY tax trainees are being spoiled and even after the termination of their training contract of 3 years they are still standing at the same level on which they joined.

Please take some actions and contrive the policies of EY Islamabad Tax Department.

Disappointing, a company that is has lost track of the values it promotes and is mired in mediocrity.

Current Employee - Assistant Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in New York, NY

I have been working at EY full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vacation days, maternity/paternity benefits, supposed flexability

Cons

Too many to list. Flexability is not true to company promoted ideals. Burn-and-turn. Lengthy tenure of employees contributes to poor management due to less talented employees ultimately outlasting premium talent who leave for better opportunities. Annual bonus promoted, but virtually impossible to attain unless receiving a 5 rating. 4 ratings are bonus eligible but seldom receive one, 3 ratings are not eligible for bonus. Annual salary increases are minimal and prorated based on performance rating. 4-5 ratings are curtailed, Average 3 rating salary increase is 2% or less.

Hire talent specific to the industry experience need for a role and allow those hires to actually leverage the experience they bring to the table.

Would never, ever recommend working at Egan LLP (EY's Immigration Law firm)

I worked at EY full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only good thing about working at this firm was some of the other clerks at the office. We bonded a lot over the sheer crappiness of our jobs, and I'm still close friends with several of my old coworkers. Oh, and there was often free food, and the company parties were good since we tagged along with EY.

Cons

There are so many cons I hardly know where to start... I guess it makes sense to begin at the top. The partners of this firm are obsessed with numbers above all else. They ignore crucial problems with firm processes and the overall culture of the firm unless there is some immediate financial consequence. Staff are overworked, miserable, haven't had a raise in years, and are quitting in droves? As long as the partners are still raking it in, nobody will bat an eye at the insane rate of turnover. Just look at the job listings... Egan is ALWAYS hiring. They can't retain staff because they pay ridiculously low salaries, expect people to put in massive overtime, and treat their staff as disposable.

Many of the lawyers at this firm are absolutely incompetent. Of course they are, a firm that is this poorly run and disorganized has no hope of retaining top talent. They manage to (barely) keep things running by snagging accounts with companies that already use EY for other purposes, and are given the benefit of the doubt because of the association with EY, but the actual quality of legal advice and work is really . While I was there, some lawyers did extremely unethical things that would get them in big trouble with the law society if they only knew. For example, making huge mistakes on clients' applications, then covering them up... all in a day's work at Egan.

I already mentioned the laughable compensation. The salaries are very, very low for the amount of work and the high level of responsibility that the clerks are expected to take on. The partner would act really put out anytime staff requested compensation for overtime too. For Christmas, a senior partner came around and let us each pick ONE chocolate from an opened box. That was all we got in terms of a Christmas gift or bonus.

The lawyers at this firm haven't the slightest clue about managing. I know this is a problem at many firms, but at Egan it's a perpetual gong show. Long term planning doesn't exist in the Egan world. Nobody is concerned about staff retention, or improving processes, or otherwise making their business run more smoothly or efficiently. The culture is very much about passing the buck and avoiding responsibility. I've heard that things have only gotten worse since I left.

FSO advisory senior

Current Employee - FSO Advisory  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - FSO Advisory in New York, NY

I have been working at EY full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Once you stop believing the bull they force down your throats, it can be a decent job based on tour project

Cons

- inconsistent management (mostly horrible)
    - "driving your own career" is bull, you go where they need you and it turns into project after project of things you don't have any interest in
    - Mich of your year end rating is bases on how much internal work you spend your free the doing aka they pay you for one job and get you to do two
    - much of advisory work are projects no one with a brain would be interested in (testing, document reviews, ect)
    - reviews are drastically different from project to project and lower level employees can get easily screwed by circumstances beyond their control
    - many projects have unnecessary travel requirements. Pretty hard to stay motivated travelling every week to do work a monkey could do and that you could do from your bed

Review system is seriously flawed, have known many hard working, smart people leave who got screwed during reviews

Fix this scenario: a staff from the LA office flies to charolette every week to do work anyone with a brain could do. At the same time you send someone from charolette to LA at the same time to do work anyone with a brain could do. Horrible system. Horrible deployment placing.

Bad work life balance.

Current Employee - Audit Staff II  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Audit Staff II in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at EY full-time for more than a year

Pros

Experience is great for career path.

Cons

Work life balance is horrible.

Not people friendly, can work to get brand on CV

I worked at EY full-time for more than a year

Pros

Brand is valued everywhere. Work quality is good.

Cons

Bad work culture. Partners think they are flawless and decide your fate, totally arrogant.
    People are treated like cattle. Long working hours, If you work all 7 days 14 hours you 'meet expectation'.
    Politics and Nepotism rampant.
    Getting leaves not easy. Managers 'note' down mistakes and point out stuff such as not working on weekends during appraisals.

Learn to Manage. Treat people well. Partners and Senior Management - you guys are part of a company like any other , yes you have cleared your CA etc,, that doesn't warrant arrogance and treating people like cattle.

Mostly terrible

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at EY full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competent and ambitious people. Good name on cv

Cons

HR sucks and they really try to squeeze money, time and energy out of you whenever they can. For a professional service firm, they are highly unprofessional when it comes to culture and remuneration.

Spread the wealth. Partners need to spread the wealth more equally with the more profitable grades and the disturbing culture needs to change.

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!