EY

EY Reviews in San Antonio, TX

Updated May 29, 2014

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger

Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance (in 199 reviews)

• it's a good place to start your career (max 3 yrs) or good if you have a family (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political (in 582 reviews)

• Same cons as working at any consulting firm -- you will be work long hours (in 634 reviews)

More Highlights
6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Learned a lot

Audit Manager (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThere are opportunities to get exposure to several types of industries, and then narrow your focus as you progress in your career. The training received in public accounting is fairly consistent across all firms; compared to industry, the training is top notch. You never have to worry about getting your CPE, or tracking anything yourself, bc it's all done for you. If you are eager and driven, big four public accounting is for you, and you will find that you get along with most of your colleagues, who truly become great friends. Benefits are great, both medically speaking and vacation/personal time. The flexibility of public accounting really is a selling feature as well.

ConsBusy season, of course! It is what it is though. As you come along in your career you will understand why things are done a certain way. A lot of staff/seniors will complain about 'form filling' etc, but it is there for a reason - so that all of the audit requirements are met. Once you realize that and get past it, it's not really that bad. And it's easy, so quit bitching! Partners/senior managers can become territorial over staff-managers, so be prepared for the political environment, and the "always looking out for #1" mentality. The key is being realistic of its presence, and being able to handle it.

Bad work life balance.

Audit Staff II (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsExperience is great for career path.

ConsWork life balance is horrible.

Great place to establish a career.

Tax Senior Associate (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsExperience in multiple industries. Work with a diverse group of coworkers. Multiple learning opportunities.

ConsDepending on the office your work in, the work ethic could dictate long hours. I sometimes feel guilty leaving the office before 7 even when it's not busy season.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Did not enjoy working there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsYou can use their name to get into other companies

ConsThey work you beyond reason, the culture was horrible. Your co-workers were your worst enemy.

Great experience if you want to stay in Accounting forever

Associate II (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsExposure to big clients in different industries. Intelligent and outgoing people. Opportunities are there if you speak up.

ConsCrazy hours for mediocre pay. The Big4 isn't what it use to be; the weight of the name won't get you very far anymore unless you stay in the Accounting industry. Difficult to transition to finance or other areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider paying your employees more appropriately.

it senior auditor

Senior IT Auditor (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

Prosexperience in field in short time

Conspay is much lower than similar jobs elsewhere

Advice to Senior Managementneed to recognize good performance more effectively

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!