EY

3.7
4,926 Reviews

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger
Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance (in 243 reviews)

• it's a good place to start your career (max 3 yrs) or good if you have a family (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political (in 701 reviews)

• Same cons as working at any consulting firm -- you will be work long hours (in 734 reviews)

More Highlights

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working at EY San Antonio office was one of my best interning experience in four years of my undergraduate.

Former Employee - Financial Assurance Office in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Assurance Office in San Antonio, TX

I worked at EY as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people is the main reason which keeps me at EY. The people here are really friendly, and long after my internship ended, I still contacted my former bosses, checked up frequently on them, and went out to lunches with them. The engagement teams were small enough for you not to feel left out; and everyone treats interns as real staff and gives interns serious projects. I enjoyed my time at EY because I was given chances to do things the way I wanted to under my bosses' helpful guidance.

Cons

Small teams can be a pro, but also can be regarded as a major con. The office is rather small and not as diverse as I expected it to be.

Bad work life balance.

Current Employee - Audit Staff II in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Audit Staff II in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Experience is great for career path.

Cons

Work life balance is horrible.

Learned a lot

Former Employee - Audit Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Audit Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at EY full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are opportunities to get exposure to several types of industries, and then narrow your focus as you progress in your career. The training received in public accounting is fairly consistent across all firms; compared to industry, the training is top notch. You never have to worry about getting your CPE, or tracking anything yourself, bc it's all done for you. If you are eager and driven, big four public accounting is for you, and you will find that you get along with most of your colleagues, who truly become great friends. Benefits are great, both medically speaking and vacation/personal time. The flexibility of public accounting really is a selling feature as well.

Cons

Busy season, of course! It is what it is though. As you come along in your career you will understand why things are done a certain way. A lot of staff/seniors will complain about 'form filling' etc, but it is there for a reason - so that all of the audit requirements are met. Once you realize that and get past it, it's not really that bad. And it's easy, so quit bitching! Partners/senior managers can become territorial over staff-managers, so be prepared for the political environment, and the "always looking out for #1" mentality. The key is being realistic of its presence, and being able to handle it.

Great place to establish a career.

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Experience in multiple industries. Work with a diverse group of coworkers. Multiple learning opportunities.

Cons

Depending on the office your work in, the work ethic could dictate long hours. I sometimes feel guilty leaving the office before 7 even when it's not busy season.

Did not enjoy working there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can use their name to get into other companies

Cons

They work you beyond reason, the culture was horrible. Your co-workers were your worst enemy.

Great experience if you want to stay in Accounting forever

Current Employee - Associate II in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Associate II in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exposure to big clients in different industries. Intelligent and outgoing people. Opportunities are there if you speak up.

Cons

Crazy hours for mediocre pay. The Big4 isn't what it use to be; the weight of the name won't get you very far anymore unless you stay in the Accounting industry. Difficult to transition to finance or other areas.

Consider paying your employees more appropriately.

it senior auditor

Current Employee - Senior IT Auditor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior IT Auditor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at EY

Pros

experience in field in short time

Cons

pay is much lower than similar jobs elsewhere

need to recognize good performance more effectively