EY Reviews in San Francisco, CA

3.7
4,660 Reviews

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger
Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance (in 232 reviews)

• it's a good place to start your career (max 3 yrs) or good if you have a family (in 104 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political (in 671 reviews)

• Same cons as working at any consulting firm -- you will be work long hours (in 704 reviews)

More Highlights

113 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company that cares about its employees - A few bad apples are hurting it

Former Employee - Advisory Supply Chain in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Advisory Supply Chain in San Francisco, CA

I worked at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Diverse culture, inclusivity, top-notch talent, universally recognized global brand, many opportunities to learn and expand your knowledge and skills. EY has a "door opening" brand, which is great for establishing immediate credibility.

EY also has some seriously talented subject matter experts - If you can find them and have them mentor you, you can acquire years of knowledge in a very short time

Cons

The knowledge management system is less than horrible, meaning we would spend inordinate amounts of time re-creating the wheel every time - So instead of focusing on driving intellectual creativity, we were tinkering with presentations and trying to contact people and sending blast messages in order to (hopefully) find something we can leverage.

The organizational walls between the service lines promoted very bad behaviors, meaning partners and other leaders made (staffing and operational) decisions on pursuits as well as live engagements based on their individual or group incentives, often to the detriment of the larger objective (client delivery).

Favoritism, empire building, backstabbing - Way too much of this happening at the partner level - Based on what I saw, I believe this was more a few rotten apples in the SC&O group rather than the larger firm, which was and I'm sure still is top-notch

Senior leaders should really invest in actively listening to lower ranking employees in order to better understand how the partners and senior managers are affecting the rest. I got the sense that despite numerous attempts to solicit feedback, that it was cursory and part of some mandatory HR program, not a genuine attempt to calibrate the negative behaviors of some leaders. If you're not going to act on it, don't waste peoples time asking them to give you feedback.

Busy and changing

Current Employee - Accountant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good job opportunities for advancement

Cons

Work life balance is difficult to manage during busy season

Technology Support Specialist Tier Level

Former Employee - Technology Support Specialist Tier Level in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Technology Support Specialist Tier Level in San Francisco, CA

I worked at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Salary and Benefits, Large corporation, Company has been around for 150 years,

Cons

Horrible IT management, Horrible IT Senior Director, Horrible teamwork

Take management training, Get management certifications, treat your team with respect and professionalism, give raises during annual reviews, improve teamwork, add more team members to help with the very large work load

Review for Advisory - Performance Improvement practice

Current Employee - Advisory Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Advisory Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with smart people on high-profile projects for Fortune 100 companies. Most of the projects are very engaging. There's a lot of variety in the types of projects, client size and industry, and teams you'll work with. Pay is competitive (although not leading competitors). The pension is is a nice motivator for a long stay. Work life balance is probably greater here than at other consulting firms.

Cons

There are some politics involved with succeeding to the Partner level, although these are easy to navigate if you're actively working to the goal of Partnership. Annual performance bonuses are very small, however the firm just switched to a new performance based bonus system, which may improve as it gains maturity. Travel is 80%, which means 4 days a week.

Great people to work with

Former Employee - Assurance Summer Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Assurance Summer Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at EY as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

supervisors and co-workers were nice, was more entrepreneurial than i expected it to be

Cons

the assurance job itself was boring, not much fun thing to do

more events please

A very enriching experience at EY.

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

EY offers vast range of experiences.

Cons

Lack of work life balance.

Good starter job, depends on career goals

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

After 2 years here I realize that it was really nice to work with young people who are in the same stage of life and are equally as talented. The social network is great. There is also plenty of experience to be had if you get above the details every once in a while. Most of what you learn is PCAOB rules if that's all you look for. I was lucky enough to get on some jobs where I had plenty of responsibility and my superiors really respected my work. I think I learned a lot about finance and accounting, which I hope will translate into future jobs.

Cons

If you don't plan to go partner route or jump into industry accounting, this is only a good job for about 2-4 years. It just depends on how you value your personal time, what teams you get on, how you enjoy (tolerate) the work, and what you plan to do after. The culture of working long hours just to keep up appearances is garbage in my mind, and I avoided that at all costs. I also didn't appreciate being the "auditor" -- calling people out on their mistakes all the time. Most importantly, I hated that most of what I did didn't matter in the end. Its all regulatory and doesn't add value. Also, pay is really low in the first years, doesn't pay off till after manager. Expect to be underpaid by 10-20K compared to your peers with similar professional experience and work longer hours. Lastly, PCAOB has EY in a stranglehold right now. Expect more checklists, more useless procedures, more documentation.

You will never be able to provide work/life balance, the best you could do is throw some parties/events regularly to bring your awesome social network together. There's tons of cool, young people, but they work on different teams and never see one another. Make some events and they'll be happy to see their friends.

Tax Aspect of EY

Current Employee - Senior Tax Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Large corporate experience, training opportunities and growth, diverse client base and industries to work with. Lots of resources if you know where to find them. Can obtain a diversified experience, not just focused in one aspect of tax. Great place to build your resume.

Cons

Nonexistent work/life balance. No longer 'quality in everything we do', but 'building a better working world' - wherever that world is. High turnovers, which is very discouraging. Long hours and you have to constantly worry about utilization.

Really should improve methods on retaining talent. Definitely understaffed and overworked.

Life in public accounting

Former Employee - Tax Manager in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Manager in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at EY part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best reasons to work at EY are the people, the clients & the experience.

Cons

Public accounting requires long hours during peak times.

Keep up the good work.

Ernst & Young review

Current Employee - Assurance Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Assurance Staff in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Large firm with the best technology clients in the SF Bay Area (less Twitter). Great people ranging from the staff to Partner level, and while the pay is typical of Big 4 Firms (less than industry average), there are a lot of benefits such as free ball games, counseling team mixers, and some really cool events.

Cons

Like most big firms, it is a mixed bag. You either have great clients and hard work teams where you learn a lot or you have bad clients and bad teams. Scheduling unfortunately has systematic problems, and it can be a matter of luck unless you were previously lucky enough to get booked on a great team and they keep you. Definitely did not feel like a meritocracy during my experience.

I would strongly consider helping align first and second year Staff who have a strong interest in a specific field with companies in that area. Furthermore, better utilization of technology, beyond an upgrade to Outlook is key in my mind. Yammer is a step in the right direction, but revising GAAIT-PE and other informational sources would be huge. Definitely need to set better expectations as far as staffing goes, and find a way to assist people consistently getting placed on bad teams, as in my experience, going to scheduling and even counselors did not help