EY

3.7
4,926 Reviews

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger
Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance (in 243 reviews)

• it's a good place to start your career (max 3 yrs) or good if you have a family (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political (in 701 reviews)

• Same cons as working at any consulting firm -- you will be work long hours (in 734 reviews)

More Highlights

116 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company to work for... but...

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are client facing, you will learn to interface with high level people at your client. Perks are rewarding. Some EXTREMELY talented folks at the FSO. Fantastic way to transition to industry. Great military recruiting program.

Cons

Very long hours. Can have brutal travel schedule. Too many expectations outside of client work. Extremely hierarchical.

Great Place

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1. Very inclusive environment
    2. Good team and good training opportunities

Cons

1. Lot of travel
    2. Culture and values depend on the sector and ppl one is working with
    3. Slow to uptake changes

Good company to start

Current Employee - Audit Senior in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A good place to start if you want a career in accounting. The Company serves a lot of cool clients in the Bay Area and there were a lot of opportunities to work on such engagements (IPOs, start-ups and etc.). Almost everyone I met here was nice, smart and driven. I enjoyed working with the great people here. The Company is very supportive of helping the employees getting their CPAs and CPE hours. Scheduling is flexible as long as advance notice is given properly. Experience at EY would bring up a lot of good career opportunities later.

Cons

It is very hard to have a work-life balance, if there is any. Busy season drags longer and longer as the Company gets more and more IPO projects and private clients. Like other Big 4, the compensation doesn't match the hours/efforts put in. On certain engagements, it is expected to work on vacation and weekends.

Great Company that cares about its employees - A few bad apples are hurting it

Former Employee - Advisory Supply Chain in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Advisory Supply Chain in San Francisco, CA

I worked at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Diverse culture, inclusivity, top-notch talent, universally recognized global brand, many opportunities to learn and expand your knowledge and skills. EY has a "door opening" brand, which is great for establishing immediate credibility.

EY also has some seriously talented subject matter experts - If you can find them and have them mentor you, you can acquire years of knowledge in a very short time

Cons

The knowledge management system is less than horrible, meaning we would spend inordinate amounts of time re-creating the wheel every time - So instead of focusing on driving intellectual creativity, we were tinkering with presentations and trying to contact people and sending blast messages in order to (hopefully) find something we can leverage.

The organizational walls between the service lines promoted very bad behaviors, meaning partners and other leaders made (staffing and operational) decisions on pursuits as well as live engagements based on their individual or group incentives, often to the detriment of the larger objective (client delivery).

Favoritism, empire building, backstabbing - Way too much of this happening at the partner level - Based on what I saw, I believe this was more a few rotten apples in the SC&O group rather than the larger firm, which was and I'm sure still is top-notch

Senior leaders should really invest in actively listening to lower ranking employees in order to better understand how the partners and senior managers are affecting the rest. I got the sense that despite numerous attempts to solicit feedback, that it was cursory and part of some mandatory HR program, not a genuine attempt to calibrate the negative behaviors of some leaders. If you're not going to act on it, don't waste peoples time asking them to give you feedback.

Busy and changing

Current Employee - Accountant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good job opportunities for advancement

Cons

Work life balance is difficult to manage during busy season

Review for Advisory - Performance Improvement practice

Current Employee - Advisory Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Advisory Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with smart people on high-profile projects for Fortune 100 companies. Most of the projects are very engaging. There's a lot of variety in the types of projects, client size and industry, and teams you'll work with. Pay is competitive (although not leading competitors). The pension is is a nice motivator for a long stay. Work life balance is probably greater here than at other consulting firms.

Cons

There are some politics involved with succeeding to the Partner level, although these are easy to navigate if you're actively working to the goal of Partnership. Annual performance bonuses are very small, however the firm just switched to a new performance based bonus system, which may improve as it gains maturity. Travel is 80%, which means 4 days a week.

Great people to work with

Former Employee - Assurance Summer Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Assurance Summer Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at EY as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

supervisors and co-workers were nice, was more entrepreneurial than i expected it to be

Cons

the assurance job itself was boring, not much fun thing to do

more events please

A very enriching experience at EY.

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

EY offers vast range of experiences.

Cons

Lack of work life balance.

Technology Support Specialist Tier Level

Former Employee - Technology Support Specialist Tier Level in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Technology Support Specialist Tier Level in San Francisco, CA

I worked at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Salary and Benefits, Large corporation, Company has been around for 150 years,

Cons

Horrible IT management, Horrible IT Senior Director, Horrible teamwork

Take management training, Get management certifications, treat your team with respect and professionalism, give raises during annual reviews, improve teamwork, add more team members to help with the very large work load

Good starter job, depends on career goals

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

After 2 years here I realize that it was really nice to work with young people who are in the same stage of life and are equally as talented. The social network is great. There is also plenty of experience to be had if you get above the details every once in a while. Most of what you learn is PCAOB rules if that's all you look for. I was lucky enough to get on some jobs where I had plenty of responsibility and my superiors really respected my work. I think I learned a lot about finance and accounting, which I hope will translate into future jobs.

Cons

If you don't plan to go partner route or jump into industry accounting, this is only a good job for about 2-4 years. It just depends on how you value your personal time, what teams you get on, how you enjoy (tolerate) the work, and what you plan to do after. The culture of working long hours just to keep up appearances is garbage in my mind, and I avoided that at all costs. I also didn't appreciate being the "auditor" -- calling people out on their mistakes all the time. Most importantly, I hated that most of what I did didn't matter in the end. Its all regulatory and doesn't add value. Also, pay is really low in the first years, doesn't pay off till after manager. Expect to be underpaid by 10-20K compared to your peers with similar professional experience and work longer hours. Lastly, PCAOB has EY in a stranglehold right now. Expect more checklists, more useless procedures, more documentation.

You will never be able to provide work/life balance, the best you could do is throw some parties/events regularly to bring your awesome social network together. There's tons of cool, young people, but they work on different teams and never see one another. Make some events and they'll be happy to see their friends.