EY

www.ey.com
Employer Engaged

119 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Nothing more than a career stepping stone.

Current Employee - Assurance Senior in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Good people.
    - Opens doors to new careers
    - Still holds a good brand in the job market and when interviewing
    - International secondments and rotations, if you can get sponsored for them

Cons

- Low morale
    - High employee turnover with little effort to increase retention
    - Changing regulatory environment means that the firm is constantly reacting to changes and changing guidance.
    - High stress environment is proven to take its toll on employee health and well-being.
    - In a rapidly changing environment old technology is beginning to show its weakness.

Placing more focus on retaining employees at Senior and Manager levels will ease the strain on the entire practice.

A lackluster career that is compensated by reasonable pay and a great sociable team.

Former Employee - Assurance Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Assurance Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at EY part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Close social interactions between co-workers.

Cons

Accountants make very little contributions to their engagements.

A more exciting work structure.

Great Experience

Current Employee - Assurance Senior in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EY full-time

Pros

1) Great coaching -- everyone I have worked with has been really invested in my career and really wants to help me
    2) Great training -- one of the best training programs in the nation
    3) Great people -- EY only hires the best and brightest

Cons

Be ready to work a lot

Great Place

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1. Very inclusive environment
    2. Good team and good training opportunities

Cons

1. Lot of travel
    2. Culture and values depend on the sector and ppl one is working with
    3. Slow to uptake changes

Great Company to work for... but...

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at EY full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are client facing, you will learn to interface with high level people at your client. Perks are rewarding. Some EXTREMELY talented folks at the FSO. Fantastic way to transition to industry. Great military recruiting program.

Cons

Very long hours. Can have brutal travel schedule. Too many expectations outside of client work. Extremely hierarchical.

Good company to start

Current Employee - Audit Senior in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A good place to start if you want a career in accounting. The Company serves a lot of cool clients in the Bay Area and there were a lot of opportunities to work on such engagements (IPOs, start-ups and etc.). Almost everyone I met here was nice, smart and driven. I enjoyed working with the great people here. The Company is very supportive of helping the employees getting their CPAs and CPE hours. Scheduling is flexible as long as advance notice is given properly. Experience at EY would bring up a lot of good career opportunities later.

Cons

It is very hard to have a work-life balance, if there is any. Busy season drags longer and longer as the Company gets more and more IPO projects and private clients. Like other Big 4, the compensation doesn't match the hours/efforts put in. On certain engagements, it is expected to work on vacation and weekends.

Great Company that cares about its employees - A few bad apples are hurting it

Former Employee - Advisory Supply Chain in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Advisory Supply Chain in San Francisco, CA

I worked at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Diverse culture, inclusivity, top-notch talent, universally recognized global brand, many opportunities to learn and expand your knowledge and skills. EY has a "door opening" brand, which is great for establishing immediate credibility.

EY also has some seriously talented subject matter experts - If you can find them and have them mentor you, you can acquire years of knowledge in a very short time

Cons

The knowledge management system is less than horrible, meaning we would spend inordinate amounts of time re-creating the wheel every time - So instead of focusing on driving intellectual creativity, we were tinkering with presentations and trying to contact people and sending blast messages in order to (hopefully) find something we can leverage.

The organizational walls between the service lines promoted very bad behaviors, meaning partners and other leaders made (staffing and operational) decisions on pursuits as well as live engagements based on their individual or group incentives, often to the detriment of the larger objective (client delivery).

Favoritism, empire building, backstabbing - Way too much of this happening at the partner level - Based on what I saw, I believe this was more a few rotten apples in the SC&O group rather than the larger firm, which was and I'm sure still is top-notch

Senior leaders should really invest in actively listening to lower ranking employees in order to better understand how the partners and senior managers are affecting the rest. I got the sense that despite numerous attempts to solicit feedback, that it was cursory and part of some mandatory HR program, not a genuine attempt to calibrate the negative behaviors of some leaders. If you're not going to act on it, don't waste peoples time asking them to give you feedback.

Busy and changing

Current Employee - Accountant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good job opportunities for advancement

Cons

Work life balance is difficult to manage during busy season

Great people to work with

Former Intern - Assurance Summer Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Assurance Summer Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at EY as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

supervisors and co-workers were nice, was more entrepreneurial than i expected it to be

Cons

the assurance job itself was boring, not much fun thing to do

more events please

Review for Advisory - Performance Improvement practice

Current Employee - Advisory Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Advisory Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with smart people on high-profile projects for Fortune 100 companies. Most of the projects are very engaging. There's a lot of variety in the types of projects, client size and industry, and teams you'll work with. Pay is competitive (although not leading competitors). The pension is is a nice motivator for a long stay. Work life balance is probably greater here than at other consulting firms.

Cons

There are some politics involved with succeeding to the Partner level, although these are easy to navigate if you're actively working to the goal of Partnership. Annual performance bonuses are very small, however the firm just switched to a new performance based bonus system, which may improve as it gains maturity. Travel is 80%, which means 4 days a week.