EY

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger

Mark Weinberger

68 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Auditing in the San Jose Office

Audit Senior (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsClients - The client base for EY in the San Francisco bay area is unparalleled. You can have great opportunities working on IPOs for internet start-ups or learning complicated hedging from some of the most established companies in the world
    Learning Opportunities - They work you hard but you learn a lot, especially early in your career. As you move up the work can get a little more repetitive. But to begin you work with clients and see things that you have no business seeing that early in your career
    Exit Opportunities - As long as you are interested in Accounting they are good
    Flexibility - You will work a lot, but they work with you so that you can come in and leave whenever

ConsPeople - EY hires a lot of talented people, and they hire a lot of bodies. That means if you are lucky enough to get with good people on one of the good teams you will have a great experience and learn a lot. If you get stuck on bad teams with the filler people, well you won't learn much and will burn out quickly.
    Career Advancement - You advance fairly quickly but whether you are a super star or the worst member of the team you will advance at the same pace. It causes a lot of the best people to leave early.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on retaining high performers, maybe with compensation but more importantly with career opportunities.

Great so far

Tax Staff (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsThere is a lot of opportunity if you look for it yourself + great clients

ConsWork can be mundane at times.

My home for 8 years

Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsI speak from the OSS side of life: The people. People with hearts and laughter. I can see why employees stay for so long. The friends I've made throughout the years have been some of the greatest people I cannot forget. Boomerangs should not be afraid of going back. The real world is hard when it comes to organization skills. Yes there were some growing pains when I left, but I left on good terms. I really miss my co-workers and all the support they've given me for all those years. I felt like I could spread my wings and fly with another company but so far I haven't met a company as great. I learned a lot after 8 years. The soft skills you learn from this company could never be matched. My writing style, email etiquette and 7 habit skills are developmental habits I use to this day. Can you mention another company that will give you a pension for years of service? My heart will always believe in the saying "Quality in everything we do."

ConsIt was a while but I worked my way up the ranks. I hold some regrets but after 2 years I've learned that everything has to change for a company to keep up with the times. The clients we worked with were demanding but I understand how much pressure they were under. Some of the first years would be abusive walking into the company. They need to be a little more humble. Partners were 50/50 reasonable. Some were out right abusive to both staff, support staff and seniors. I'll never understand them.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow how much you care for the people that work for you. Just mentioning names made us want to work harder. Compensate better by releasing more "4" ratings. I also wish there was another level above Senior.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great firm to work for. Unbeatable experience.

Assurance Staff II (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsEy is the only Big 4 to still offer a pension. Great work experience. Best list of public clients in the Bay Area of all other Big 4 firms.

ConsThe pay is low and the firm does not care if you have a master's degree or a CPA license unless until it is required at manager level. VERY poor work life balance.

Working as senior auditor at EY

Senior Accountant (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsGreat opportunity to learn and develop professionally. People are nice and ready to share their experience and knowledge. Daily interaction and exposure to executives.

ConsStressful working environment due to heavy workload. Long working hours are usual. Also quite frequently have to work on weekends. At senior auditor level compensation and benefits do not match the amount of work done

Good and can be better,

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

Prosflexible, in depth discussions and knowledge sharing

ConsPay is less in comparision with other big 4's.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllocation of clients should be made better and not dump as it it goes...

A job that is ok flexible with great benefits but not much growth.

Financial Management Associate (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsProvide some flexibility as you are more senior to the co.; great benefits; great title; great name of the co.

ConsMicromanaged; boss not supportive of their staffs, Authority from up to down; disregard employee's suggestion, a sandwiched position, no team build (as no budget) event

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff who works directly with the Partners and take suggestions. They are valuable to the department only when they provide you with feedback. Should split the job beween a Billing Analyst and Financial Mgmt. Associate otherwise people will keep asking the FMA to do billings instead of advising(Yup! client serving side only perceive FMA as billing person). Lastly, provide more technical skills for employees so they can grow.

Great firm to grow as a professional.

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsErnst & Young, LLP is a great place to learn how to client serve, work with teams, and develop as a professional.

ConsErnst & Young, LLP is very challenging as the hours can be tough to manage during busy seasons, and clients can be very demanding. However, it is also a very rewarding place to work at.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not have any advice to management.

I dread going to work everyday

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsLooks good on a Resume

ConsThey don't keep any of their promises

Amazing place to build experience in a world class organization

Non Client Serving Role (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsTalented professionals, best in class
    Great benefits and very inclusive culture

ConsNon Accountants are treated as second class citizens

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that you are rewarding and recognizing your non-billable staff

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EY reviews and ratings in San Jose, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EY CEO Mark Weinberger. All 68 reviews posted anonymously by EY employees.