EY Reviews

2.3
EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger
Mark Weinberger
1 Rating

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance (in 243 reviews)

• Best Place to Start a Career in Accounting (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance (non-existent) (in 701 reviews)

• Work/life balance isn't that great as you must work long hours to compensate for the lack of staff during the busy season (in 734 reviews)

1. Think carefully before you say yes

Current Employee - IT Services in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - IT Services in Stamford, CT

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learning environment
    Surrounded by very smart people
    US partnership growing strongly
    CEO focused on change for the better

Cons

Globalized functions lack sponsorship
    Staffing levels inadequate in support functions
    Lack of pay for performance breeds complacency in some areas

Advice to Management

Be honest with yourselves about what the ambitions for global functions really are

Quickly dissatisfied with the hype of Big 4

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in Stamford, CT

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment where you learn loads more practical accounting and industry knowledge than you could ever learn from private or in school. Guaranteed promotions on a yearly basis.

Cons

Reviews are completely arbitrary and heavily reliant on likeability. Being efficient and a genuinely great employee is not rewarded as well as being likeable and being adept at playing "office politics". For very bright staff its often a sink or swim environment. Success of new staff is in part determined by the seniors on the team you join. If your paired with an incompetent senior you will have to struggle to achieve same level of training as other staff, which is a huge set back.

On the other hand being paired with an super over achiever who loves this job above their life leads to unjust comparisons. A coworker who would in contrast appear above average appears average in comparison to them.

NY colleagues don't perform nearly as much work but given their bigger teams they are more easily rated a 4 or 5.

Advice to Management

Invest more money on management training programs for seniors and look into new ways of ranking people. Arbitrary buckets where an employee rated 3 who was genuinely efficient but didn't have "key buzzwords or experiences" shouldn't be on the same bucket as an incompetent employee who would have been fired or rated 2 if not for additional hassle of rating someone a 2.

3. Great learning experience; given autonomy to make many decisions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at EY

Pros

Great progressive environment & atmosphere of teaming
    Flexibility to manage my own schedule - (obligations permitting)

Cons

High volume of work sometimes resulting in reduced quality/having to constantly juggle conflicting priorities.

5. It is fine for Public

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Stamford, CT

I have been working at EY

Pros

I have been at EY ffor 4 years and loved my independence and flexibility so far. I also relaly like my teams and people I work with. I do believe that Ey is better Public than others though. My advise, start in Public, the resume with public names works the best!

Cons

The hardest thing so far has been my work life balance, it is always too much work and responsibilities. The expectations are always high and we are always expected to be logged in 24/7, very hard to do.

Advice to Management

They need to implement less weekend culture and make sure people do not get burned out. Good people always get punished, because we always get more and more work and never get breaks.

Showing 4 of 6,173 reviews