EY Reviews

Reset
3.7
EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger
Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance (in 243 reviews)

• Best Place to Start a Career in Accounting (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance (non-existent) (in 701 reviews)

• Work/life balance isn't that great as you must work long hours to compensate for the lack of staff during the busy season (in 734 reviews)

EY UK/London is a great place to work doing important work for great clients.

Current Employee - Consultant in City of London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in City of London, England (UK)

I have been working at EY

Pros

The feeling of doing a uniquely complex job and doing it outstandingly well as part of a team for the best clients in the best city in the world (London!). This is what it's like being on the sharp-end.

Cons

Realistically, none. I'm well paid, am treated very fairly, the work environment is good, the partners and other staff are great. It's busy, its hard, and it's challenging..but I chose to be here.

Advice to Management

Trying to grow the UK business by taking/buying market share off the other Big 4 in a recession is possibly not a credible long-term objective and has the feel of being a big-boys ego leadership drive rather than a realistic strategy. But is this what it takes to get the leadership - the promise of ever bigger visions? Anyway, I'm doing my bit.

Right place at the right time.

Current Employee - Senior Advisory Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Advisory Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EY

Pros

On the advisory side of the business everyone, and i mean everyone, is good at the job. I never feel exposed by an incompetent co-worker in front of a client and am continually suprised at how damn good everyone is, especially the partners. We seem to constantly put good delivery first, unlike some of the competition we are focused on client satisfaction and it shows in their relationships with us.

Cons

The partnership politics are tedious,playing politics at base and being visible is important in progression, a problem for those on long term engagements. The seemingly constant reorganisation is painful with constant rumours about how things will look every six months.

Advice to Management

Settle down, choose a path and commit to it. Stop playing at too many different things and do less better.

3. Good place to work

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EY

Pros

Constant feedbacks on your performance and projects. Colleagues are generately very supportive. Leadership willing to listen and make changes to satisfy employees. Managers will listen to your development needs and try their best to provide you the opportunities.

Cons

Working location and hours are not very flexible, It was very hard for me to arrange my personal appointments around the office hours. when I'm on a project, I have to inform the manager, if I need to leave at 5:30pm. For graduates, have to stay three years before get promoted to the next level, which is too long for some talented candidates. Hot desking plus small lockers. Can't fit all my stuff into the lockers!

Advice to Management

Continue the good feedback system and continue listen to employee's voice. Be more flexible on promoting talented junior employees.

A truly great place to work!

Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at EY

Pros

- E&Y London really is a great place to work - People I encountered were mostly supportive, helpful and friendly - Quite "modern" in outlook and in how it treats employees - Merit-based culture

Cons

- Compensation could be an issue - don't think it compares favourably with City / Banking, but is okay relative to industry - Becoming a Partner seems somewhat arbitrary and 'black box' - and also very difficult. Hence people get stuck at Director / EM level. - No bonuses

Advice to Management

- Ensure there's a LOT more clarity on how people can become Partner - Keep up the good work!! :)

6. Excellent

I have been working at EY

Pros

Great learning & development opportunities Good teaming Very global in outlook

Cons

(too) humble, needs to be more aggressive

Advice to Management

Needs to be more aggressive

7. Excellent Career Development

I have been working at EY

Pros

Strong FS Advisory business Excellent client networks, particularly in Risk and Finance Diverse range of leading edge projects Highly motivated, intelligent and fun teams Commercial discipline and business focus Strong career development support and mentoring

Cons

Can be long hours and high pressure projects with demanding clients Can be difficult to mix competing priorities (delivery, business development, team management)

Advice to Management

Continue to strengthen the Advisory brand and positioning across EMEIA Consider if the current leverage mix across all businesses is appropriate

8. A varied perspective

Current Employee - Expatriate Tax Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Expatriate Tax Advisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Obvious pros with the big 4 being more career opportunities, lots of opportunities to vary work with movements or secondments to other services, generally higher pay and it looks great on your CV should you ever decide the big 4 is not for you. In addition to this I have found that as the big 4 can effectively cherry pick the employees who work for them all my colleagues are hard work and very smart making working in a team environment much more satisfying and great for realising and understanding solutions which may not have come to light otherwise. The work attitude is much the same as in all practices with the simple fact that you will be expected to work late if the client requires the extra work but equally alot of effort goes in to making sure this isn't required. In fact I have not had to work past unless it was my own choice to do so since I started at Ernst & Young.

Cons

The negative to this being again the same as for all practices in that different clients have different demands and so while I have not had to work late hours friends of mine working on other teams for other clients have been required to work late to meet demanding deadlines. I cant really think of any other negatives than this as my experience has genuinely been enjoyable as I have had the opportunity to work alongside some very talented individuals and make friends across the offices.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management would be to more actively sell the process EY can put in place to assist the clients as well providing services as from my perspective the more demanding clients are those where process' have been set by the client often creating additional work and fees for the client as well requiring extra man hours by the EY team. The recruitment policy seems to be very effective and is possibly the primary reason the big 4 are able to provide the high quality of service they are respected for and this should definitely continue as with the additional man power available in the office EY is more able to hit the ground running and impress new clients.

9. Fantastic place to work - people really care about you and your career and that makes a difference

Current Employee - Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunities for career development as long as you take charge of your career. Options for international secondments as well as secondments to other service lines. You should be good at networking of course - guess it applies to any large firm. Lot of industry databases if you want to specialise and increase industry knowledge. Fantastic formal training both as seminars as well as web based learning modules Very friendly place to work People consider that you have a life outside work

Cons

EY or any other big four is a place where you work to get exposure, not for money. So salary is average. That said, Transaction Advisory Services salaries are not that bad compared to industry - though per hour salary is still lower compared to industry! Promotions come only once a year

Advice to Management

Bring back mid year promotions!

10. A learning experience

Current Employee - Tax Senior in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Tax Senior in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training programme, study leave provided, chance to meet great people

Cons

Pay slightly lower than industry average

Advice to Management

n/a

Best of a a bad bunch in Big 4 Advisory

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

EY has some really great people. There is actually some attempt to be considerate of people trying to have a life and the culture is good in that the way people speak to eachother is, on the whole, respectful and not like the horror stories I've heard from other Big 4 Consulting contacts.

Cons

It just isn't a meritocracy. The promotions process is painful and there's a huge element of 'time served' being a factor in performance reviews. This can be incredibly frustrating as it hampers progression and the rate at which you are given responsibility.

Advice to Management

Be less cautious. Give people the stretch and the support to go with it rather than assuming they can't do something and never letting them try. Improve your manager's coaching and people management skills. Reward good behaviour and penalise the opposite. Poor behaviour at a Partner level has a far-reaching negative impact.

Showing 403 of 6,377 reviews