www.ey.com

3.7
4,803 Reviews

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger
Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance (in 239 reviews)

• it's a good place to start your career (max 3 yrs) or good if you have a family (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political (in 680 reviews)

• Same cons as working at any consulting firm -- you will be work long hours (in 718 reviews)

More Highlights

256 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fantastic team ethos

I have been working at EY

Pros

Excellent working environment. Friendly co workers and constant support.

Cons

Bonuses may not equal the other big 4 companies, however, working atmosphere makes up for this.

R&D consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Promote personal development. Good corporate benefits with gym and social club. Access to good training sessions to further expand knowledge.

Cons

Long hours and demanding work that can be very repetitive at times. Very inconsiderate with recognising when efforts above and beyond are performed.

Promote more social events between management and consultant

Great company but career progression is uncertain

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EY full-time

Pros

Multi cultural, good benefit, culture varies across department but generally friendly environment to work in. People respect each other, generally approachable.
    Training resources are plentiful throughout the career. Firm ususally sponsors for ACA or CFA or both..

Cons

Uncertainties around promotions - people have to ask to be promoted or it will never happen (so I was told)
    Difficult to find help wrt IT/shared services, everything is done through the phone..
    Lots of hiring / leaving, people move around too often at times.

Positive learning experience and on the whole you work with intelligent and motivated colleagues

Current Employee - Audit Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Audit Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learning curve is good, opportunities to gain a breadth of client experience and international work experience, good people place

Cons

Recognition for effort could be better which includes year end bonus remuneration; will expect you to work hard and long hours

Kepp investing in your people as this is the key to retention and improving relationships with clients and fee opportunities.

Overall it is a great place to work

I have been working at EY

Pros

Ability to get involved in numerous projects and when your working day is done on a Friday, there is no need to think about it until Monday. Ability to work from home on a Rota basis, giving a nice flexible work/life balance.

Cons

I think the biggest cons of EY is remuneration. Some people who have less experience can be hired on a higher pay scale than someone that has worked with EY for a few years.

I would look into the current pay structure and ensure that people doing the same roles should be paid from the same salary range, not a huge spectrum I.e.18-25k and experience within EY should also be rewarded better.

Poor

Former Employee - Audit Staff
    Former Employee - Audit Staff

I worked at EY full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The interview process is fair. The salary is great. Apart from that, I would struggle to identify another positive aspect of working for this company.

Cons

Travel expectations are crazy, this impacts the working environment as on average 50% of the audit staff assigned to a particular client are from a far afield EY office due to the atrocious resourcing situation. The work itself is dull and monotonous.

Change everything

Workplace discrimination?

I have been working at EY

Pros

Generally nice people to work with

Cons

Unfair - unless you're popular and fit in you won't go far

I tend to find that EY is the type of place that where if the face fits then you'll go far - fast tracked up the corporate ladder and invested heavily in. For others, despite working hard and generating substantial revenues you'll be given empty promises of promotion etc. for a firm that claims to be all-inclusive and diversive it tends to be all talk and no action, not that you want to be treated differently from colleagues - just the same and given the same opportunities. The differences are more prominent in the regions where time and time again i've been amazed that some individuals have been passed over for promotion despite excellent gradings.

EY

Former Employee - Audit Staff in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Audit Staff in London, England (UK)

I worked at EY as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

A lot of client exposure

Cons

Unreasonable amount of hours required for a derisory amount of pay.

Don't do Audit

Current Employee - Audit Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Audit Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They pay for your qualification and you get to put the EY name on your CV. Those are the two single reasons 80% of people join and then subsequently leave EY (in audit anyway)

Cons

Long hours
    Training is 'on the job' ie get thrown in and see how you do. Which is good in some respects, but bad in situations where your seniors are incompetent / absent. Situations like this are often spun as an opportunity to 'step up'
    Senior Managers and Partners seem to have worked in audit for so long that they've lost a chunk of their soul (again, I think this applies more to audit, other departments' personnel seem to have a bit more character)
    Pay has been frozen the last few years (no increases for inflation) and no bonuses since I've been at the firm

Just occasionally stare up at a cloud and think to yourself: "you know what? There might be something else in the world other than audit"

I was an intern for 6 weeks in the London office (HR Advisory team - at the time this was Tax).

Former Employee - Intern in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at EY as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was given the opportunity to absorb and learn from several team members, and my placement manager was considerate in giving one-to-one sessions on a weekly basis to track my goals. I was impressed by the thought and care taken into teaching me organisational structures, how to create documents for clients, etc. There were plenty of social events arranged for interns too, including a ball at the end of the 6 weeks.

Cons

The one issue was being pigeon-holed so early on. Understandably, candidates needed to apply to a business unit. Yet as university students who have had little work experience, we didn't fully understand the differences between EY's many departments during application. After being placed in the one team, there was little opportunity to learn what others were doing.

Consider exposing interns to other areas of EY in addition to their main department.