EZCORP

Updated Jun 24, 2014

EZCORP President, CEO, and Director Paul E. Rothamel

Paul E. Rothamel

Dysfunctional, at best

ProsThere are some fun people here if you can get them to talk. Paycheck is always on time.

ConsLack of collaboration—right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, which sometimes results in the same work being done by different people and other times one group's efforts unintentionally sabotage another's.

Some areas of the company are simply toxic. There is a lot of aggression and an unwillingness to cooperate or even listen.

Everything is a secret. Stock price is plummeting.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on core business and be on the same page.

Ugh... I don't know...

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsLots of opportunities to teach self teach

ConsPay isn't competitive unless you're at the very top, then you're overpaid. Pretty bad company culture.

Torn but unsatisfied

Senior Buyer (Former Employee)

ProsCustomers and unique merchandise. Fun in the environment for the most part.

ConsUsually what sucks with retail is the customers but that was actually a pro for me.
    Sadly it was the people I "worked with" that ruined it for me. Whether it be young managers that care more about exercising their "manager card" than they do about running a good store or even going as far as managers taking merchandise home to "try out" an item for a couple of days before they decide not to buy it. There were even some times that while an item was on layaway, the person would take it home for the duration of the layaway to play with it. Store management seemed to choose favorites and take sides which just made it flat out miserable to go in everyday. I strived to be in charge of buys just so I could avoid contact with the other employees because of the gossip and backstabbing. It just felt that I had to wear pillows on my feet because if how many eggshells I had to walk on to get through the
    day. The store manager also would talk bad about other employees directly to employees behind their backs, then completely deny it if you inquired about it. The store manager would also go to other stores and air the dirty laundry of our store to the other store managers then claim he didn't know how they were finding out.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat each person equal to the other employees. No employee should ever feel like they have to hide from the others just to avoid being singled out off of an untruth.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall a good one

Prosi enjoyed working for my boss, and a great quality of life.

ConsCompany took away restricted stock and set unrealistic budgets.

from good to bad in just 2 years

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Anderson, IN

Prosgreat discounts for employees, no real night time hours

Consused to be a people company not any more. considers employees disposable. Upper management lies to rank and file. The BLOCKBUSTER clique has destroyed morale

Advice to Senior Managementread and practice your core values

Fair, fun, exciting, dysfunctional, unorganized, a lack of communication and direction.

Austin, TX

ProsBeing able to facilitate change, sharing of new ideas and prospectives.

ConsUnqualified supervisors, lacking resources to develop staff, as an organization they are unable to self identify their areas of opportunity

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grasp on the flow of communication downward, on how other departments function, how the many different parts of the company operates in comparison, a culture change needs to happen.

frustrating

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsThe pay check did not bounce. Fairly good schedule.

ConsThe way to succeed at the company is to know who to blame for your failures.
    The new employee training is terrible. You are then issued warnings about being fired when you are barely out of training for minor issues.
    The company takes being focused on the short term to a whole new level. There is absolutely no long term planning. You are held accountable AKA blamed for things you can not control.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so quick to fire people who make minor and I mean minor mistakes when they are 2 weeks out of training. WTF do you get the cost of turnover? read and practice your core values. You know those things that are posted on the wall that are for show only?

Have you LOST your Mind???

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

Pros.25 soda machine, commute not too bad, some of the folks you work with are actual human beings and not human doings.

ConsEmbedded psychopathy is actually encouraged by those that have been then the longest - this company has managed to put the "FUNC" in DYSFUNCTIONAL. If you ever have the longing to see the Peter Principle in it's most active format, work there. The turnover in employees makes you wish that they'd just give in and replace the swinging doors with revolving ones. There is no employee morale and the Quarterly Town Hall meetings are filled with 6-Sigma jibberty-gobble speak that makes your eyes glaze over and crave mind-altering substances to relieve the pain.

Their idea of "market competitive salary" is only accurate if you're looking at the markets in Calcutta, Accra or Sao Paulo. The attitudes of mid and upper level management smack of some landed aristocracy without the youth or the couth. Don't hire on expecting benefits worthy of this level of market. In fact, if you do take a job with them, your expectations would be better suited if you consider them as what they are - a garage sale with a financing plan and better marketing.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about you walk a week in the shoes of some of the "little people" as you so love to call the rank and file? How about you try to live a week on what you pay your CSR's? The "Us versus Them" mentality is going to bite you in the butt, and I'm just waiting to see that happen.

Okay work life, poor upper management

Ecommerce Team Member (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

Pros- great discount on all products including jewelry! I saved hundreds of dollars during holiday season!
    - coworkers are easygoing and good people

Cons- weak commissions despite getting good sales numbers
    - no advancement for ecommerce team members
    - poor upper management support (actually, none at all)
    - area manager is not up to date with the retail world nor the internet
    - area manager has poor communication skills and doesn't seem to have any positive effect on stores

Advice to Senior ManagementArea managers, please actually DO something to support your stores. Emphasis on the DO. Educate pawnbrokers about buying better products. Stop buying outdated products and technology; no one will buy it, that is why items become aged! Corporate office, please hire an area manager who is competent, otherwise, their area will fail consistently and will be at the bottom. Area managers, follow through with your words and promises unless you don't want to be trusted.

run like hell!

Austin, TX

Prosnice coworkers, steady paycheck, free coffee

Consmanagement lacks leadership and lacks strategic planning, management is very reactive not proactive, goals are unrealistic, no training, no parking, poor benefits package

Worked for EZCORP? Contribute to the Community!

EZCORP – Why Work for Us?

Overview Established in 1989, EZCORP has grown into the market leader in specialty consumer finance. We are dedicated to satisfying the short-term cash needs of consumers who are both cash and credit constrained. We… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EZCORP reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EZCORP CEO Paul E. Rothamel. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by EZCORP employees.