EZCORP

Updated January 22, 2015
2.0

EZCORP President & CEO Mark Kuchenrither
Mark Kuchenrither

Pros
  • There is a work/life balance for the most part (in 3 reviews)

• Decent wages, free coffee/tea in break area (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management will try to treat you any kind of way and will more than likely get away with it (in 8 reviews)

• Most of the employees and senior management have the skill set of a jellyfish (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

Former Employee - Accountant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Accountant in Austin, TX

I worked at EZCORP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Sodas are 25 cents, other than that...um....still thinking...I can't come up with another one since the place is so awful

Cons

Work-to-Life balance is horrible, being sick is a no-no, 5 holidays a year IF you get them, management pushes constantly for more work to be done on tighter time schedules, no training for employees, promotions happen only if you are "in" with management regardless of talent

Get rid of middle management at Corporate, offer training to employees, have an established career path for employees to follow instead of floundering

Great benefits if you are straight or single.

I have been working at EZCORP

Pros

They offer a robust benefit package that is reasonably priced.

Cons

Benefits are available to you and your "opposite sex spouse or domestic partner". This does not matter whether you are in a state that has marriage equality or not.

Get with the times! Your benefit plans are blatantly discriminatory.

Fool Me Once, Shame On You, Fool Me Twice, Shame on Me

I worked at EZCORP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are absolutely no pros to working here

Cons

Most of the employees and senior management have the skill set of a jellyfish. The type of industry says it all, lack of conscience and ethics. This place chases away new talent because the environment is so miserable. Long term employees have a sense of entitlement and they get away with anything. However, longevity here does not equate to intelligence.
    Human resources wonders why they are unable to attract and retain new talent. The answer is really quite simple in that nobody wants to work here. If they accept employment, they will be considering their exit plan from day one after realizing the huge mistake they made. The only reason internal employees get promoted is because they are unable to attract good employees to work here. The employees who make the decision to leave are the respectable and intelligent employees with a sense of ethics. The few employees who have been here for quite some time, have stayed on board because they have no choice but to stay, as they have become unmarketable. For newer employees, get out while you still can and allow yourself dignity and self respect. Anyone considering working in corporate accounting and the SEC area should stay away, far, far away unless the do some really good house cleaning higher up.

Oh, and for the benefits, you get 5 holidays per year. LOL.

This place is in dire need of more changes. The advice needed would take up too much commentary.

Disloyal

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Beaumont, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Beaumont, TX

I worked at EZCORP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to meet meet, location, and indoor atmosphere. Competitive wages for the location and benefits available at a reasonable price.

Cons

Hours were not reasonable. Work EVERY weekend. Lack of company involvement, etc.

Need to possibly go Undercover just to really see the role of the CSR and possibly make changes to help the company grow. Be loyal to your Employees in there time of need.

Listen to all reviews, stay away from this place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at EZCORP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Still thinking, as I am grabbing for straws here.

Cons

If I had read the reviews on this site, I would never have accepted employment here. Unemployment is better than working for this organization. Stay away from any positions in accounting, especially any positions at the corporate office. They promote people into positons like directors, who are unable to keep staff because they demean them and yell at them. These people were promoted... well, just because... LOL. No talent or management skills at all. How can you manage staff when you have no intelligence. There is so much turn over, and there are many reasons why. Please see this as a red flag and don't do what I did and accept a job. There are so many other options out there, so think thrice before coming here. The business is not growing as their image might falsify.

Dear Shareholders and Board Members, hopefully you will continue to see the writing on the wall. You still need to clean house. For this company to succeed, you need to make proper decisions.

Wish it were better!

Current Employee - Accountant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in Austin, TX

I have been working at EZCORP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is a work/life balance for the most part. The office is nice and there are good people here. It is a great place to get experience and the company itself is not bad. The benefits are decent and there are some talented people working here. The work is interesting, challenging and engaging.

Cons

Promotions seem to be few and far between even if you get a good review. The biggest con for me personally is how employees are treated. You can be spoken to by managers and co-workers in any fashion that is rude, disrespectful and condescending. This type of behavior is totally acceptable and I have never experienced it at any other place of employment. There is a true lack of respect throughout the company. In addition, I actually had a manager make excuses for why a co-worker was "not so nice" and that the unsavory of the director would most likely happen again. And...this is because "he/she is just having a bad day" or "he/she is going through a tough time". Well stay at home then!

If you want to make the company a great place to work then consider the employees as people. We want to be respected, appreciated and valued for what we contribute the company. The way to make employees want to stay at EZCorp (at least in accounting) is not by buying breakfast, lunch, treats, and team building activities with mandatory participation. In addition, the managers need to gain a WHOLE lot of people skills! When employees are treated badly/inappropriately by management and co-works, bringing them food, mandatory participation in "team" activities and raises that aren't even commensurate with the cost living increases is not how to go about it. I very much dislike "team building" activities that require me to be around unpleasant managers and co-workers. In my personal, opinion that is NOT team building! That making me have to be more exposed to people that have been rude and disrespectful.

In a nutshell: People don't leave COMPANIES......The leave MANAGERS!

Low pay, high stress, no respect from upper management.

I have been working at EZCORP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company allows you to get involved with the community.

Cons

Pressures to hit budget goals are extreme and goals are not typically achievable. Saves them money by not having to pay bonuses.

Insanely erratic behavior from a seasoned company!

Former Employee - District Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - District Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at EZCORP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Publicly traded company with opportunity for relocation. Fair compensation package for upper management along with competitive health benefits. Entry level positions are compensated well for both part-time and full-time.

Cons

Inept upper management focused on feeding the insane amount of VP's pockets rather than staffing the stores to service the customers. The previous CEO was not suited for the position and steered the focus from a financial institution to a retail based business which cost the company, it's employees, and shareholders.

Promote a person from within that has worked all areas of the business and has years of pawn experience to the position of CEO. The company has a seasoned VP with experience and vision to take the company to the next level. Use his expertise!

sample review

I have been working at EZCORP full-time

Pros

very vast. Extremely high pressure

Cons

pay on the bottom side. work is on the max side

Stay Away

Current Employee - Information Technology in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Austin, TX

I have been working at EZCORP full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is nothing positive to say about this job.

Cons

Inept management and no clear direction make this environment a difficult, stressful place to work in. I wish I would have taken the advice from these reviews and not taken the position. Stay as far away from this place as you can.

Doesn't matter, they don't listen.