Eagle Creek

Updated Dec 10, 2013

Eagle Creek President, CEO & Co-Founder Ken Behrendt

Ken Behrendt

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Job and great company!

Software Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI worked at the Pierre Project Center for close to 3 years. I thought it was a great experience. The only reason I left was because of an ill family member. I relocated to Pierre from a similar size town in Iowa so I was used to the small town feel plus they gave me money towards relocating. The training was excellent and prepared me to move into the consulting role. Its good to see a company that as a solid career path for the consultants

ConsThe only downside would be that the project centers are usually in small towns in North and South Dakota, so that could be considered a con to some people that are used to larger cities.

You get what you expect.

Applications Development Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time for more than a year

ProsWork culture is extremely lax, can get away with doing nothing most of the day. No real management to speak of.

ConsMassive layoffs with no warning. Lack of any real career opportunities. Little to no management ability in any of the senior employees. Unqualified employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop an actual career path for your employees. Don't have massive layoffs without warning.

Eagle Creek Pierre Project Center

BI Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you enjoy sitting around doing nothing at all this is the job for you. Lots of down time as the sales staff has a problem getting contracts. Friendly work place. Able to learn new technologies if you are lucky enough to go on a project.

ConsWhere to start...Poor management, not much to do in the community, company has a hard time keeping contracts that they do sign. High potential to be laid off, when there is a down period in their sales cycle.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new sales staff and new upper management.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An experiment of the inept and underqualified

Applications Development Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time for more than a year

ProsThey pay decent, for the fact that you will most likely only do at most an hour of work a day. You have a lot of free time on your hands to explore other jobs while getting paid at your current one and they will pay for certifications that they deem necessary which will definitely help you progress your career. They are also willing to hire people with little or no experience, but if you have any type of experience and want to keep sharp then you have to take control of that because most of the day you will be doing nothing. You have the opportunity to meet a different group of people and learn from each one of them.

ConsThey really don't make you do much, although that was an upside, it's also a downside to working here. They do not help you progress your skills at all, even though they offer "training" (which they say will cost you $10,000 or a little less if you break the contract early, but really the training isn't worth anything but the money they pay you to be in Pierre, SD.) Doing nothing is a detriment to your career and if you are not a self motivated individual, stay away from this company. There is no room to grow at this company and no latter to climb, you are simply there as a consultant and will always be a consultant. The contact they make you sign is a two year contract, this is so the company can maintain a semblance of employee loyalty, when in reality most employees are looking for new jobs within the first 6 months of working at Eagle Creek. The staff are nice people all in all, but most haven't the slightest idea of how to run a successful business. They have no way to keep track of any of their employees or their skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who actually care and know what kind of business they are in, hire sales people that can sell your product and start to pay attention to your employees who have good ideas and who are more than capable of doing what you ask of them.

I'm only still here because I've not found anything better yet.

Software Consultant (Current Employee)
Pierre, SD

I have been working at Eagle Creek full-time for more than a year

ProsThey sign your paycheck, whether you're working or not.
Consultant level employees are, generally speaking, very cool and easy to work with.

ConsLocation is the middle of nowhere, hours away from anything resembling civilization (biggest gripe with the workers).

The pay is good for the work you do, which is to say, you're basically getting paid to do nothing 90% of the time (although recently I've been a bit busier), but even when you do get work to do, your pay doesn't change. I make enough to get by, and a little bit more than that, but it's still nothing compared to what other people make when working at a LEGITIMATE software company.

I don't know for certain, but the way the upper management people here are, it's hard to be honest with them since it feels like they will take any sort of perceived dissent as grounds for termination.

They have occasional anonymous surveys of meetings and "how do you think the company is doing" which have places for suggestions, and which they are clearly not listening to, so I think they just put them out there for appearances.

When I began working here I signed an 18 month contract that, if you broke it, you had to pay the company $10,000; the value of the training. This was a great, big joke. That training wasn't worth anything close to $10,000. I wouldn't have paid 10 cents for that training. Now, the new trainees that they are bringing in are forced into 2 year contracts, as a very transparent method of trying to boost retention, which won't work since now people will be leaving after 2 years, instead of after just 18 months.

They hire ANYONE with a bachelors degree, regardless of what it was you studied in college. Computer science, business majors, psychology, ANYTHING, which is not very conducive to having a strong work force that is tech savvy and able to perform the work, so people spend a lot of time "shadowing", that is, looking over someones shoulder to learn how to do that job, and 90% of the time the work you do will NOT be the work you were trained to do anyway.

Recently there was a meeting held where they said that they wanted to have the company up to 1,000 employees by 2020. Before that they said the company had 3 employees in 1999, and has about 300 employees now (which I'm pretty sure they rounded up a couple times to get that number). I'll let you do the math to figure out why that's a laughable goal they will never achieve. I'd honestly be surprised if the company was still around in 2020.

Before that meeting they had one announcing what they call "401k matching". I don't really think they know what that is because what they described was a joke. They said they would match .2% of your investment for the first year, increasing by .2% every year for 5 years, up to 1%. That's a joke with no punchline, I'm afraid, as most companies that do 401k matching give you a much greater bang for your buck. The good news is though, you're always fully vested. This is clearly another transparent effort to make the company appear better than it actually is. Now they can say "We do 401k matching!!!" and be, in the absolutely positively strictest sense of the idea, correct.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really have no advice for the management. They don't listen to us at the meetings, they don't listen to us with the surveys, they feign ignorance of the discontent among the masses, so why would I expect them to listen to me here, now?

Instead, I have advice for anyone looking for work who may be contacted by these people. If you can suffer through for 2 years, take the job. Don't expect anything wonderful from it, and use it as a stepping stone into your new career.

Knowing what I do know, I'd still have taken the job, but I'd have been much more prepared and ready to brace for the massive disappointment it's turned out to be.

Despite the economy we're In a growing exciting market - a real opportunity

I have been working at Eagle Creek

ProsIn a hot market despite what's going on in the rest of the economy. Opportunity to learn and advance skills with technologies that are used by many big companies - can pick up great knowledge and expereince that will advance the career.

ConsSome of the projects are high priority - have to work hard somethimes to meet customer deliverables and project deadlines (what's new?). Could do with more management communication & recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore regular commincation - keep us in the loop. Maybe some more recognition after a tough project or some tough deadlines are met.

Okay place, horrible salary

BI Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Eagle Creek

ProsIts a nice little company to start at.
Nice exposure to technologies.
You can learn at your own pace

ConsHorrible salaries. People working at fast food shops earn more then you and don't bother to think that this will change as you gain more work experience with the company as it will not.

Locations are strategically chosen to avoid attrition. You will not find another employer in 500 miles radius and will be very hard to leave once you join it.

Had some lay offs in past. Not consistent about lay off policy. If you are working for a team which doesnot have a project, they might lay you off without even considering the previous effort you have put in the projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo body cares about your great "Model" .People care about the money that is going in their pockets. Pay respectable salary to your employees and may be you will retain few.

Eagle Creek has been a great place to learn from and has given me very valuable professional experience.

Business Intelligence Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Eagle Creek

ProsThere is many pros for working at this company.

I've found that working at this company has many advantages unlike many other companies you will find out there.

The company is willing to pay for relocation. If your a person with entry level experience, than the company is willing to train you with pay!

You will be noticed by your peers / co-workers, managers, etc, for the good work you do, unlike some other larger companies. The company culture is unique, with a majority of employees being in there twenty or thirties the energy level maintains high. People within the company are easy to work and get along with. Everyone is willing to help out others and provide an extra hand when needed.

The company is growing quite fast and do see different possible avenues for people in the future. If you have the ambition to take your skills to the next level, this company will provide possible opportunities for those who are worthy, such as lead, management and or onsite positions.

The company offers projects where you can learn a ton from, while getting exposed to working with some great industry professional people.

The place of work is located in a rather small town than some might be used to. However, I find that many people who aren't used to smaller cities don't see the bright side of this. Driving only minutes from your home to work, has got to be one of the many advantages! Not having to deal with traffic, miles of driving, and or having to drive at all, is something to be thankful for.

Crime rate in the town is very, very low. You won't ever see bums roaming the streets or living on them. Forget about those city thugs and thieves, there just isn't that in Pierre, South Dakota. Most people in the town are overly friendly, and will talk your ear off about anything and everything. Could be considered the place like "Cheers" the television show.

Depending on the project center, they offer some good down time amenities ; ]

There is a hand full of outdoor actives for people to do in the area, so keeping yourself busy outdoors is very possible.

ConsThere is cons in working with this company as well.

Many of the project leads are located remotely, so most meetings / discussions have to be conducted via email or phone.

The company does ask that you commit to a contract, depending on your level of experience and the position your applying for.

Your previous experience might not play a role in title position or salary.

There is no current 401k matching.

When the winter comes around, the road maintenance isn't the best. They don't salt the roads, or use much dirt to help with tire traction during extreme icy conditions.

Gas prices are on average a bit higher, than other places in the U.S., but you will be doing less driving in town, to get where you need to go.

More places of entertainment would be nice, however, it does offer the essentials.

You won't find Best Buy anywhere around you, but that's why they invented online shopping.

I'm not even going to talk about the lack of non-educated local women.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery now and then, take some time to get to know some of the employees you don't normally speak with on a personal level. An employee event is a great way to communicate with many others.

Great place to start a career.....

Business Intelligence Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Eagle Creek

Pros- Great people to work with, as long as they're not management
- They train you decently for consulting work
- You can develop great networking connections with the client

ConsThey put the project center in the middle of nowhere as an excuse to keep salaries low. Pierre is 200 miles to any city over a population of 25,000. That means that the cost of living negates out any excuse they have that the city is cheap. The city is generally distrustful of anyone working at EC (and rightfully so), due to the fact that most finish their 18 month contract and immediately leave for a better job. The benefits are a joke and the incompetent HR department is all the way in the Twin Cities, so any grievances are promptly ignored. So much of the workforce has left in disgust in the past year that management is desperately offering people the option of working remotely, which in turn is creating anger over preferential treatment. And don't expect anything over a 6% annual raise, and you have to fight to get that, saying nothing about trying to get a promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe if you pay your employees even a little bit more, or at least try to not make it look like you're operating a code factory, people would stick around.

Boondoggled on the Prairie

BI Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Eagle Creek

Pros• Relaxed dress code (jeans)
• Easy commute in town.
• Nice Break Room.
• Nice building with plenty of parking, even though it's owned by the township.
• 3 Weeks of PTO for first year employees
• Relatively flexible 8 hour work day with permissible start time fluxuating between 8 and 9 am.

Cons• Location, location, location! Pierre, SD. is literally 3 hours away from ANYTHING; and 6 hours away from a major city. Eagle Creek Project Centers are located in small/isolated towns partly because there are no competitors nearby, therefore requiring employees to make a conscious decision to make the long move to a new location. The climate here is harsh with relentless winds, freezing winters and scorching summers.
• 13 week training is wrought with problems. Several of the training courses had no trainer for a varying duration of time. People get pulled out of training early as needed for projects. Trainers are brought in with little to no prep time or clear agenda, and are occasionally asked to bill their client for hours while they are training (double dipping). While some trainers are better than others, the overall value delivered was neither what was promised to the recruit nor what is purveyed to the client. Regardless of any shortcomings on the part of Eagle Creek to uphold their end of the training bargain, you WILL be requested to live up to your end of the 18 month training repayment contract.
• 18 month contract makes you feel trapped. If you leave early get ready for some retaliation tactics including confiscating your last check and/or dropping you down to minimum wage as a means of paying off some of your liability. This of course will hurt them in the long run as it does not incentivize people to turn in two weeks’ notice.
• The corporate "Bench Policy" requires you to use accrued PTO when you are not engaged on a project. This can happen at the end of the year, or when your project ends for whatever reason. This fact is not communicated upfront to new employees and is sprung in a way which causes people to use their PTO at a time convenient to the company.
• "Annual reviews" are conducted on a quarterly basis and pay is not retroactively compensated for the time between your start date and the end of that quarter. These reviews are largely a charade anyways, and raises are based more on corporate finances than logged overtime or performance results.
• Dismal Internet connection speed makes work move at a slow pace which can be embarrassing when trying to account to team members of the company you are contracted out to. (3 T-1 lines for 80+ employees results in speed check results near dial up speed).
• Not a place to make a career. The business model is designed to recruit recent college grads and use them until they gain the experience and ambition to move on to a different company in a better location. In the meantime, the path your career follows while employed at this company is left primarily to chance, rather than being determined by any training, talent, or interests you may possess.
• Note to the single guys thinking of moving to Pierre: the majority of women here are either in high school or married.

Of course all of these opinions are made as of the posting date and may be different in the future due to the dynamic nature of corporate policies changing without notice; usually to benefit the company at the employee’s expense. This is usually accompanied by the very Orwellian absence of any acknowledgment that the policy has changed.

Advice to Senior Management• Move your Project Centers to a more technology driven location that can retain ambitious/driven employees.
• Announce all of your policies to employees and stick to them.
• Get onsite management.
• Recruit people from smaller towns rather than large cities. People that grew up in a smaller/isolated area are more likely to stick around for a few years.
• Your business model will prove unsustainable as the attrition rate you are soon to experience will prove unacceptable to your clients

Worked for Eagle Creek? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Eagle Creek reviews and ratings in Pierre, SD — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Eagle Creek CEO Ken Behrendt. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Eagle Creek employees.