Eagle Creek

1.8

Eagle Creek President, CEO & Co-Founder Ken Behrendt
Ken Behrendt

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Job and great company!

Former Employee - Software Consultant in Pierre, SD
    Former Employee - Software Consultant in Pierre, SD

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at the Pierre Project Center for close to 3 years. I thought it was a great experience. The only reason I left was because of an ill family member. I relocated to Pierre from a similar size town in Iowa so I was used to the small town feel plus they gave me money towards relocating. The training was excellent and prepared me to move into the consulting role. Its good to see a company that as a solid career path for the consultants

Cons

The only downside would be that the project centers are usually in small towns in North and South Dakota, so that could be considered a con to some people that are used to larger cities.

Bad Training. Worse Management.

Current Employee - Developer in Pierre, SD
    Current Employee - Developer in Pierre, SD

I have been working at Eagle Creek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good starting position if you have a computer science degree and web development knowledge.

Cons

Training is a joke, hence the suggestion to already have a computer science degree or equal experience in web development or business intelligence. The training class was led by younger people with a lack of experience and zero planning or direction. They taught us very little of anything that we actually used on the job, like Java console programs. Basically a waste of time.

When actually put out on the floor we were put into a "shadow" position that varies between employees on a scale between worthless to sub-par at best as far as getting you ready for a project. Once on a project you were lucky to get something that was well planned and had a good staff put on it, and even then it was normally an organizational nightmare. Lack of planning from both client and management puts developers in very odd positions with inaccurate time forecasts, unrealistic workloads, and poor communication.

Management does not keep track of people very well except for how many billable hours your have or how much potential you have on getting billable hours in the near future. Even if you are highly skilled or dedicated as an employee they will lay you off to save the company money when times get slow on projects.

My advice is to, again, already have a computer science degree, and to also do A LOT of self study while on the job and constantly remind management of your progress, asking for any and all certification you can get from them, such as Salesforce, Java, etc.

Offer better training that is planned out and focuses heavily on Web Development. The SQL training was great, but the Java training was useless because it didn't teach any web development ideas until the last week. What you should do is teach SQL and then in the Java class you should teach how to connect an SQL database to a Java based web project and create a website, focusing heavily on the MVC model and the AGILE project model. That stuff should be week 1-2 and remain the main focus for the entire training session.

Also, communication as a whole in the company needs work. Talk to your employees about projects, even if they are not solid yet, and create training classes for people on the bench to give them certifications for marketable softwares instead of relying on them to sit at their desks and do it themselves.

Good job if you are looking for a start other than that is sucks!

Former Employee - Consultant in Pierre, SD
    Former Employee - Consultant in Pierre, SD

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Pros to it is if you need a start in programming and don't mind being underpaid this is the place for you get the experience and run like a bat out of hell.

Cons

I was bored most of the time, because the job was too easy I was happy they let me go. I did not want to be there in the first place and was very happy to leave with the shirt on my back.

Learn some people skills and some of you go back to school and learn how to program.

You get what you expect.

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work culture is extremely lax, can get away with doing nothing most of the day. No real management to speak of.

Cons

Massive layoffs with no warning. Lack of any real career opportunities. Little to no management ability in any of the senior employees. Unqualified employees.

Develop an actual career path for your employees. Don't have massive layoffs without warning.

Eagle Creek Pierre Project Center

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you enjoy sitting around doing nothing at all this is the job for you. Lots of down time as the sales staff has a problem getting contracts. Friendly work place. Able to learn new technologies if you are lucky enough to go on a project.

Cons

Where to start...Poor management, not much to do in the community, company has a hard time keeping contracts that they do sign. High potential to be laid off, when there is a down period in their sales cycle.

Get new sales staff and new upper management.

An experiment of the inept and underqualified

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They pay decent, for the fact that you will most likely only do at most an hour of work a day. You have a lot of free time on your hands to explore other jobs while getting paid at your current one and they will pay for certifications that they deem necessary which will definitely help you progress your career. They are also willing to hire people with little or no experience, but if you have any type of experience and want to keep sharp then you have to take control of that because most of the day you will be doing nothing. You have the opportunity to meet a different group of people and learn from each one of them.

Cons

They really don't make you do much, although that was an upside, it's also a downside to working here. They do not help you progress your skills at all, even though they offer "training" (which they say will cost you $10,000 or a little less if you break the contract early, but really the training isn't worth anything but the money they pay you to be in Pierre, SD.) Doing nothing is a detriment to your career and if you are not a self motivated individual, stay away from this company. There is no room to grow at this company and no latter to climb, you are simply there as a consultant and will always be a consultant. The contact they make you sign is a two year contract, this is so the company can maintain a semblance of employee loyalty, when in reality most employees are looking for new jobs within the first 6 months of working at Eagle Creek. The staff are nice people all in all, but most haven't the slightest idea of how to run a successful business. They have no way to keep track of any of their employees or their skills.

Hire people who actually care and know what kind of business they are in, hire sales people that can sell your product and start to pay attention to your employees who have good ideas and who are more than capable of doing what you ask of them.

I'm only still here because I've not found anything better yet.

Current Employee - Software Consultant in Pierre, SD
    Current Employee - Software Consultant in Pierre, SD

I have been working at Eagle Creek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They sign your paycheck, whether you're working or not.
    Consultant level employees are, generally speaking, very cool and easy to work with.

Cons

Location is the middle of nowhere, hours away from anything resembling civilization (biggest gripe with the workers).

The pay is good for the work you do, which is to say, you're basically getting paid to do nothing 90% of the time (although recently I've been a bit busier), but even when you do get work to do, your pay doesn't change. I make enough to get by, and a little bit more than that, but it's still nothing compared to what other people make when working at a LEGITIMATE software company.

I don't know for certain, but the way the upper management people here are, it's hard to be honest with them since it feels like they will take any sort of perceived dissent as grounds for termination.

They have occasional anonymous surveys of meetings and "how do you think the company is doing" which have places for suggestions, and which they are clearly not listening to, so I think they just put them out there for appearances.

When I began working here I signed an 18 month contract that, if you broke it, you had to pay the company $10,000; the value of the training. This was a great, big joke. That training wasn't worth anything close to $10,000. I wouldn't have paid 10 cents for that training. Now, the new trainees that they are bringing in are forced into 2 year contracts, as a very transparent method of trying to boost retention, which won't work since now people will be leaving after 2 years, instead of after just 18 months.

They hire ANYONE with a bachelors degree, regardless of what it was you studied in college. Computer science, business majors, psychology, ANYTHING, which is not very conducive to having a strong work force that is tech savvy and able to perform the work, so people spend a lot of time "shadowing", that is, looking over someones shoulder to learn how to do that job, and 90% of the time the work you do will NOT be the work you were trained to do anyway.

Recently there was a meeting held where they said that they wanted to have the company up to 1,000 employees by 2020. Before that they said the company had 3 employees in 1999, and has about 300 employees now (which I'm pretty sure they rounded up a couple times to get that number). I'll let you do the math to figure out why that's a laughable goal they will never achieve. I'd honestly be surprised if the company was still around in 2020.

Before that meeting they had one announcing what they call "401k matching". I don't really think they know what that is because what they described was a joke. They said they would match .2% of your investment for the first year, increasing by .2% every year for 5 years, up to 1%. That's a joke with no punchline, I'm afraid, as most companies that do 401k matching give you a much greater bang for your buck. The good news is though, you're always fully vested. This is clearly another transparent effort to make the company appear better than it actually is. Now they can say "We do 401k matching!!!" and be, in the absolutely positively strictest sense of the idea, correct.

I really have no advice for the management. They don't listen to us at the meetings, they don't listen to us with the surveys, they feign ignorance of the discontent among the masses, so why would I expect them to listen to me here, now?

Instead, I have advice for anyone looking for work who may be contacted by these people. If you can suffer through for 2 years, take the job. Don't expect anything wonderful from it, and use it as a stepping stone into your new career.

Knowing what I do know, I'd still have taken the job, but I'd have been much more prepared and ready to brace for the massive disappointment it's turned out to be.

Despite the economy we're In a growing exciting market - a real opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pierre, SD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pierre, SD

I have been working at Eagle Creek

Pros

In a hot market despite what's going on in the rest of the economy. Opportunity to learn and advance skills with technologies that are used by many big companies - can pick up great knowledge and expereince that will advance the career.

Cons

Some of the projects are high priority - have to work hard somethimes to meet customer deliverables and project deadlines (what's new?). Could do with more management communication & recognition.

More regular commincation - keep us in the loop. Maybe some more recognition after a tough project or some tough deadlines are met.

Okay place, horrible salary

I worked at Eagle Creek

Pros

Its a nice little company to start at.
    Nice exposure to technologies.
    You can learn at your own pace

Cons

Horrible salaries. People working at fast food shops earn more then you and don't bother to think that this will change as you gain more work experience with the company as it will not.

Locations are strategically chosen to avoid attrition. You will not find another employer in 500 miles radius and will be very hard to leave once you join it.

Had some lay offs in past. Not consistent about lay off policy. If you are working for a team which doesnot have a project, they might lay you off without even considering the previous effort you have put in the projects.

No body cares about your great "Model" .People care about the money that is going in their pockets. Pay respectable salary to your employees and may be you will retain few.

Eagle Creek has been a great place to learn from and has given me very valuable professional experience.

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Consultant in Pierre, SD
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Consultant in Pierre, SD

I have been working at Eagle Creek

Pros

There is many pros for working at this company.

I've found that working at this company has many advantages unlike many other companies you will find out there.

The company is willing to pay for relocation. If your a person with entry level experience, than the company is willing to train you with pay!

You will be noticed by your peers / co-workers, managers, etc, for the good work you do, unlike some other larger companies. The company culture is unique, with a majority of employees being in there twenty or thirties the energy level maintains high. People within the company are easy to work and get along with. Everyone is willing to help out others and provide an extra hand when needed.

The company is growing quite fast and do see different possible avenues for people in the future. If you have the ambition to take your skills to the next level, this company will provide possible opportunities for those who are worthy, such as lead, management and or onsite positions.

The company offers projects where you can learn a ton from, while getting exposed to working with some great industry professional people.

The place of work is located in a rather small town than some might be used to. However, I find that many people who aren't used to smaller cities don't see the bright side of this. Driving only minutes from your home to work, has got to be one of the many advantages! Not having to deal with traffic, miles of driving, and or having to drive at all, is something to be thankful for.

Crime rate in the town is very, very low. You won't ever see bums roaming the streets or living on them. Forget about those city thugs and thieves, there just isn't that in Pierre, South Dakota. Most people in the town are overly friendly, and will talk your ear off about anything and everything. Could be considered the place like "Cheers" the television show.

Depending on the project center, they offer some good down time amenities ; ]

There is a hand full of outdoor actives for people to do in the area, so keeping yourself busy outdoors is very possible.

Cons

There is cons in working with this company as well.

Many of the project leads are located remotely, so most meetings / discussions have to be conducted via email or phone.

The company does ask that you commit to a contract, depending on your level of experience and the position your applying for.

Your previous experience might not play a role in title position or salary.

There is no current 401k matching.

When the winter comes around, the road maintenance isn't the best. They don't salt the roads, or use much dirt to help with tire traction during extreme icy conditions.

Gas prices are on average a bit higher, than other places in the U.S., but you will be doing less driving in town, to get where you need to go.

More places of entertainment would be nice, however, it does offer the essentials.

You won't find Best Buy anywhere around you, but that's why they invented online shopping.

I'm not even going to talk about the lack of non-educated local women.

Every now and then, take some time to get to know some of the employees you don't normally speak with on a personal level. An employee event is a great way to communicate with many others.