Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Reviews

Updated Dec 19, 2013

Eagle Creek President, CEO & Co-Founder Ken Behrendt

Ken Behrendt

Great experience with Eagle Creek!

Consultant (Former Employee)
Vermillion, SD

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe work life balance is amazing. The team is amazing and we had a lot of fun. I learned a lot of new technologies and got paid to do it. The benefits are really good and even included a free golf membership. The company is growing fast and this was a perfect opportunity for a recent college grad with little or no experience.

ConsA little tight on space but they are building a large technolgy center.

Great Job and great company!

Software Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI worked at the Pierre Project Center for close to 3 years. I thought it was a great experience. The only reason I left was because of an ill family member. I relocated to Pierre from a similar size town in Iowa so I was used to the small town feel plus they gave me money towards relocating. The training was excellent and prepared me to move into the consulting role. Its good to see a company that as a solid career path for the consultants

ConsThe only downside would be that the project centers are usually in small towns in North and South Dakota, so that could be considered a con to some people that are used to larger cities.

Wonderful opportunity! Eagle Creek is a great place to start a career and continue learning.

Consultant (Current Employee)
Vermillion, SD

I have been working at Eagle Creek full-time for less than a year

ProsThe company is growing, great team environment, good benefits and pay.

ConsI would prefer to live in a larger City.

You get what you expect.

Applications Development Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time for more than a year

ProsWork culture is extremely lax, can get away with doing nothing most of the day. No real management to speak of.

ConsMassive layoffs with no warning. Lack of any real career opportunities. Little to no management ability in any of the senior employees. Unqualified employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop an actual career path for your employees. Don't have massive layoffs without warning.

Poor upper management and high turnover

Software Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Easy to get a job with them.
- Training courses are offered to help get you started working with Oracle related products. However these can vary from being very good to very bad depending on who they choose as the trainer. In my case the training was pretty solid.

Cons- Must sign a contract and non-compete agreement. Legality of this contract is questionable for North Dakota due to right to work laws in the state.
- High turnover.
- No opportunities to move up.
- Huge swings in workload depending on if they lose or win a contract.
- Bottom of the barrel when it comes to salary.
- Atmosphere is pretty negative working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive vice president is is very disrespectful to the staff. Many good people have left the company in part due to this. Show some respect and reward your employees with bonuses for performance.

Eagle Creek Pierre Project Center

BI Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you enjoy sitting around doing nothing at all this is the job for you. Lots of down time as the sales staff has a problem getting contracts. Friendly work place. Able to learn new technologies if you are lucky enough to go on a project.

ConsWhere to start...Poor management, not much to do in the community, company has a hard time keeping contracts that they do sign. High potential to be laid off, when there is a down period in their sales cycle.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new sales staff and new upper management.

An experiment of the inept and underqualified

Applications Development Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time for more than a year

ProsThey pay decent, for the fact that you will most likely only do at most an hour of work a day. You have a lot of free time on your hands to explore other jobs while getting paid at your current one and they will pay for certifications that they deem necessary which will definitely help you progress your career. They are also willing to hire people with little or no experience, but if you have any type of experience and want to keep sharp then you have to take control of that because most of the day you will be doing nothing. You have the opportunity to meet a different group of people and learn from each one of them.

ConsThey really don't make you do much, although that was an upside, it's also a downside to working here. They do not help you progress your skills at all, even though they offer "training" (which they say will cost you $10,000 or a little less if you break the contract early, but really the training isn't worth anything but the money they pay you to be in Pierre, SD.) Doing nothing is a detriment to your career and if you are not a self motivated individual, stay away from this company. There is no room to grow at this company and no latter to climb, you are simply there as a consultant and will always be a consultant. The contact they make you sign is a two year contract, this is so the company can maintain a semblance of employee loyalty, when in reality most employees are looking for new jobs within the first 6 months of working at Eagle Creek. The staff are nice people all in all, but most haven't the slightest idea of how to run a successful business. They have no way to keep track of any of their employees or their skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who actually care and know what kind of business they are in, hire sales people that can sell your product and start to pay attention to your employees who have good ideas and who are more than capable of doing what you ask of them.

Good company to work for

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Eagle Creek full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEagle Creek has one of the unique business model of Onsite - offsite model. It uses this model to market themselves to clients who dont typically prefer offshorization. Salary is very competitive

ConsOnsite consultants typically dont have much interaction with other employees. You dont get a feel that you are working for a company with more than 300 employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be a better platform for employees to interact with one another.

I'm only still here because I've not found anything better yet.

Software Consultant (Current Employee)
Pierre, SD

I have been working at Eagle Creek full-time for more than a year

ProsThey sign your paycheck, whether you're working or not.
Consultant level employees are, generally speaking, very cool and easy to work with.

ConsLocation is the middle of nowhere, hours away from anything resembling civilization (biggest gripe with the workers).

The pay is good for the work you do, which is to say, you're basically getting paid to do nothing 90% of the time (although recently I've been a bit busier), but even when you do get work to do, your pay doesn't change. I make enough to get by, and a little bit more than that, but it's still nothing compared to what other people make when working at a LEGITIMATE software company.

I don't know for certain, but the way the upper management people here are, it's hard to be honest with them since it feels like they will take any sort of perceived dissent as grounds for termination.

They have occasional anonymous surveys of meetings and "how do you think the company is doing" which have places for suggestions, and which they are clearly not listening to, so I think they just put them out there for appearances.

When I began working here I signed an 18 month contract that, if you broke it, you had to pay the company $10,000; the value of the training. This was a great, big joke. That training wasn't worth anything close to $10,000. I wouldn't have paid 10 cents for that training. Now, the new trainees that they are bringing in are forced into 2 year contracts, as a very transparent method of trying to boost retention, which won't work since now people will be leaving after 2 years, instead of after just 18 months.

They hire ANYONE with a bachelors degree, regardless of what it was you studied in college. Computer science, business majors, psychology, ANYTHING, which is not very conducive to having a strong work force that is tech savvy and able to perform the work, so people spend a lot of time "shadowing", that is, looking over someones shoulder to learn how to do that job, and 90% of the time the work you do will NOT be the work you were trained to do anyway.

Recently there was a meeting held where they said that they wanted to have the company up to 1,000 employees by 2020. Before that they said the company had 3 employees in 1999, and has about 300 employees now (which I'm pretty sure they rounded up a couple times to get that number). I'll let you do the math to figure out why that's a laughable goal they will never achieve. I'd honestly be surprised if the company was still around in 2020.

Before that meeting they had one announcing what they call "401k matching". I don't really think they know what that is because what they described was a joke. They said they would match .2% of your investment for the first year, increasing by .2% every year for 5 years, up to 1%. That's a joke with no punchline, I'm afraid, as most companies that do 401k matching give you a much greater bang for your buck. The good news is though, you're always fully vested. This is clearly another transparent effort to make the company appear better than it actually is. Now they can say "We do 401k matching!!!" and be, in the absolutely positively strictest sense of the idea, correct.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really have no advice for the management. They don't listen to us at the meetings, they don't listen to us with the surveys, they feign ignorance of the discontent among the masses, so why would I expect them to listen to me here, now?

Instead, I have advice for anyone looking for work who may be contacted by these people. If you can suffer through for 2 years, take the job. Don't expect anything wonderful from it, and use it as a stepping stone into your new career.

Knowing what I do know, I'd still have taken the job, but I'd have been much more prepared and ready to brace for the massive disappointment it's turned out to be.

Nice place to start a career, leave after your 18 months

Anonymous Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Eagle Creek full-time

Pros-Good place to start out right out of college
-Paid training
-Starting salary is okay

Cons-New upper management is blowing up everything the company has built, ruining morale
-No promotion opportunities
-Pay is only competitive for a year or two, compensation doesn't increase congruently with experience
-Middle of nowhere location

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so abrasive and confrontational. The consultants in the project centers are where your money is made, treat them as such.

Worked for Eagle Creek? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Eagle Creek reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Eagle Creek CEO Ken Behrendt. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Eagle Creek employees.