Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek President, CEO & Co-Founder Ken Behrendt
Ken Behrendt

Eagle creek

I have been working at Eagle Creek

Pros

If you're a new graduate from college it's a good place to get experience

Cons

They laid off a lot of people

An exercise in mismanaging human resources.

Current Employee - Software Consultant in Vermillion, SD
    Current Employee - Software Consultant in Vermillion, SD

I have been working at Eagle Creek full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They are willing to hire you with no experience, and possibly without a degree, if you can pass the technical interview. Some of the training was quite good, SQL in particular was quite in depth and thorough. They are very reasonable in terms of being flexible with hours and allowing time off on short notice. They also provided free beer at the local tavern on occasion.

Cons

We were allowed a ridiculous amount of idle time, when not on a billable project, which can last for months. Getting paid to do nothing isn't as fun as it sounds. After the training period, there was almost no guidance about what to be doing with your time. There were a few half-hearted attempts at continued training, but this was mostly useless. The company seems to have over-hired during a slow season, anticipating more clients than they were able to get, resulting in lay-offs. Also, the pay is about as low as it can get for a software development job.

Utilize and evaluate your talent more effectively. Encourage people on the bench to improve their skills, maybe put them to work fixing the companies horrible internal software.

Good Salary for starting job

I have been working at Eagle Creek full-time

Pros

Good training, good career learning, good salary

Cons

Horrible management. Mis-communication between managers and pull employees in different directions.

Communicate to employees

Look elsewhere

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work from home

Cons

Company indicates on offer letter that your compensation package includes a bonus. No documentation on how the bonus is calculated, but don't worry, you'll never see one anyway. They lie on everyone's offer letters indicating a bonus structure but not one of the employees (outside of Project Centers) has received one (a joke one time - $100 ...really?).

You bring a complaint about harassment and hostile work environment and they don't even follow up with you. This company is bad news.

Pack it in and let some company buy you out so employees have a fighting chance

Bad Training. Worse Management.

Current Employee - Developer in Pierre, SD
    Current Employee - Developer in Pierre, SD

I have been working at Eagle Creek full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good starting position if you have a computer science degree and web development knowledge.

Cons

Training is a joke, hence the suggestion to already have a computer science degree or equal experience in web development or business intelligence. The training class was led by younger people with a lack of experience and zero planning or direction. They taught us very little of anything that we actually used on the job, like Java console programs. Basically a waste of time.

When actually put out on the floor we were put into a "shadow" position that varies between employees on a scale between worthless to sub-par at best as far as getting you ready for a project. Once on a project you were lucky to get something that was well planned and had a good staff put on it, and even then it was normally an organizational nightmare. Lack of planning from both client and management puts developers in very odd positions with inaccurate time forecasts, unrealistic workloads, and poor communication.

Management does not keep track of people very well except for how many billable hours your have or how much potential you have on getting billable hours in the near future. Even if you are highly skilled or dedicated as an employee they will lay you off to save the company money when times get slow on projects.

My advice is to, again, already have a computer science degree, and to also do A LOT of self study while on the job and constantly remind management of your progress, asking for any and all certification you can get from them, such as Salesforce, Java, etc.

Offer better training that is planned out and focuses heavily on Web Development. The SQL training was great, but the Java training was useless because it didn't teach any web development ideas until the last week. What you should do is teach SQL and then in the Java class you should teach how to connect an SQL database to a Java based web project and create a website, focusing heavily on the MVC model and the AGILE project model. That stuff should be week 1-2 and remain the main focus for the entire training session.

Also, communication as a whole in the company needs work. Talk to your employees about projects, even if they are not solid yet, and create training classes for people on the bench to give them certifications for marketable softwares instead of relying on them to sit at their desks and do it themselves.

A company with no direction

I have been working at Eagle Creek

Pros

The project centers are located in smaller cities, which generally means a lower cost of living and a friendly place to live.

Cons

Top level training is promised for entry-level consultants, which mandates signature of a 2 year contract and financial penalties if you leave before that. The training , unfortunately, is extremely sub-par, having been coordinated by a resource developer who has no IT experience or knowledge. Classes are routinely presented with a curriculum which consists of watching YouTube videos, self study material and no practical real life scenarios. The majority of consultants leave training ill-prepared for work with clients and often fail because of the combination of inadequate training and little or no experience. Eagle Creek does not invest in software licenses or installations to allow these consultants to hone their skills, but instead rely on the clients to provide software licenses. This leaves the consultants in a precarious position in trying to become skilled in necessary technologies. There is also a history of frequent large scale layoffs throughout the company. This company has terrible benefits, with virtually no matching contribution to a 401K, and very limited pto. The top level Project Center management is filled with incompetent staff with no experience, knowledge, or education in the IT industry.

Put competent staff in key positions instead of filling with friends of the owner who have no knowledge, experience or education in the IT consulting business

Beware!

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time

Pros

Paid training to do work that is unlikely to be valuable to any other future employer. For the most part it is pretty easy work.

Cons

They will move you to a tiny town in the middle of nowhere and then decide they don't need you. Upper management seems to have no idea about where their company is headed and future needs.

Learn how to plan your future needs better. It is a major undertaking for people to move far away from civilization to work for you.

Good job if you are looking for a start other than that is sucks!

Former Employee - Consultant in Pierre, SD
    Former Employee - Consultant in Pierre, SD

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The Pros to it is if you need a start in programming and don't mind being underpaid this is the place for you get the experience and run like a bat out of hell.

Cons

I was bored most of the time, because the job was too easy I was happy they let me go. I did not want to be there in the first place and was very happy to leave with the shirt on my back.

Learn some people skills and some of you go back to school and learn how to program.

Still working

I have been working at Eagle Creek full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salary some what comparative to industry standard depending on position\skill level. Work is challenging for the most part, again based on skill level. Some opportunities for advancement, but limited.

Cons

Many new hires after learning the level of effort and work to be completed become disgruntled, since3 the training they are provided does not adequately prepare them for the challenges they most face with the clients.

Great Job and great company!

Former Employee - Software Consultant in Pierre, SD
    Former Employee - Software Consultant in Pierre, SD

I worked at Eagle Creek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at the Pierre Project Center for close to 3 years. I thought it was a great experience. The only reason I left was because of an ill family member. I relocated to Pierre from a similar size town in Iowa so I was used to the small town feel plus they gave me money towards relocating. The training was excellent and prepared me to move into the consulting role. Its good to see a company that as a solid career path for the consultants

Cons

The only downside would be that the project centers are usually in small towns in North and South Dakota, so that could be considered a con to some people that are used to larger cities.