Eagle Gate College

Updated November 21, 2014
Updated November 21, 2014
2.5

CEO

Alright place to work for!

I worked at Eagle Gate College

Pros

Enjoyed working with my department!

Cons

Benefits aren't the best. Quick to increase insurance premiums, but slow to give you pay raise.

Watch your back

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Murray, UT
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Murray, UT

I worked at Eagle Gate College as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The students. They are there to make themselves better due to their previous life. I had been in the higher education field for 6 years, Eagle Gate gave me an offer, with a guarantee for full-time employment. I love teaching, I love watching students better themselves, but...

Cons

I stopped being asked to comeback. Why? Because I had to teach while being over booked. My class started at 5, but I was also assigned to do individual studies during the same time. I was also booked to teach a class, as soon as it was over at the exact time, I had a course start in the SLC campus. If students missed too many classes, policy was to flunk them. I did such that. The department manager would go in and change the grade so Eagle Gate could keep being funded. As one review said, they will throw anyone under the bus.

Everyone quite. Find something you're good at and let real leaders take over, who truly care about education and responsibility.

No Thank YOU!!!

Former Employee - Program Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Program Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Eagle Gate College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The team environment with the coworkers was top notch and very helpful

Cons

The corporate structure was unbelievably horrible. No resource for employees. The pay was awful and the only reason why people stay is because of their love for education and their students

No thank you

Eagle Gate College is proof that Utah needs to pass whistle blower protection laws.

I worked at Eagle Gate College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The good news is that if you are buddy-buddy with the right people, whey will favor, promote, and advance you. Loyalty is very highly demanded and if you happen to make a "material misstatement of fact in written response" to a legal proceeding, you can tell your subordinate that "it would not be good for you if anything you say contradicts what I have said" and your subordinate will know that they must do everything including commit perjury to protect your position or face being targeted for elimination.

Cons

The bad news is that if you cross the wrong person, they can tell any lie, spread any rumor, initiate any gossip, and upper management will take it as gospel truth without examining the facts. This is great if you are in an upper level position because you can throw anyone you want to under the bus to save face for yourself.

Senior management, especially HR, should examine the facts and evidences upon which allegations are made against their employees before taking administrative action.

Over worked under paid

Current Employee - Program Director
    Current Employee - Program Director

I have been working at Eagle Gate College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some students are great
    Follow program workers awesome to work with

Cons

Program directors are expected to work 15 hour shifts and then work extra days going to recruitment fairs
    Program directors are expected to do anything to keep students enrolled
    Students who can barely read and write are allowed into school
    Upper management made major cuts in staff in order to save money but none of that money has found its way to program directors or other staff.
    Upper management is often inconsistent, condescending, and abusive to employees.

Stop over working your employees. Treat them decently stop yelling at them when they have to drop a student for what ever the reason. If I could I would give this company zero stars especially in work/life balance and culture& values.

Eagle Gate

Former Employee - Course Instructor
    Former Employee - Course Instructor

I worked at Eagle Gate College as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you enjoy teaching students, who in most cases need and in some case deserve a second chance to excel .. you will be gratified, you will get large doses of personal growth and occasionally student gratitude. My colleagues were personable and genuinely cared.

Cons

Fluctuation in class sizes does lead to fluctuations in your contract salary term to term. I am not disgruntled at all; I enjoyed working with the students but the high turn over of faculty and staff is not an anomaly.

Good people, great vision, but…

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Eagle Gate College full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Caring staff and faculty who tried to meet the needs of every student that focused self empowerment with the intention to better students situations and help them succeed and be prepared for their new career.

Cons

Students were often seen as a number. Education was expensive, even though it was less than other for profit schools.

Continue to foster employee retention by listening to what they say.

Best team Ive ever had the pleasure of working with!

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Layton, UT
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Layton, UT

I worked at Eagle Gate College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They truly care about their students and employees success!

Cons

They don't have locations in other states to transfer to.

You've done and continue to do great things, keep it up!

Subversive to a fault...

Former Employee - Associate Director of Admissions in Layton, UT
    Former Employee - Associate Director of Admissions in Layton, UT

I worked at Eagle Gate College

Pros

As a company the employment is good cosnidering they pay relatively fair wages. Some really great people to work with there.

Cons

Lacking responsible mid-level leadership, campuses seem to be silo's. Easily swayed to make hiring decisions based on emotion and appearence as opposed to logic.

Hold leadership more accountible and enforce policies accross the board. Prevent employee churning by respecting people have life events which can influence performance in the short-term. Rather than being reactive, try being proactive with these employees.

Great opportunity to help students, poor corporate leadership

Current Employee - Lead Instructor
    Current Employee - Lead Instructor

I have been working at Eagle Gate College

Pros

Students who attend Eagle Gate College are very diverse. Most have difficult lives outside of school that interfere with their abilities to learn. This, however, forces many of these students to be very street smart and teachers have a great opportunity to influence students in a positive direction.

Adjunct educators do not have to worry about numbers and paperwork and can focus solely on teaching.

Corporate will listen to academia if they shout loud enough and unite with the same departments of other schools.

Decent benefits package.

Cons

Eagle Gate places their priorities and chains of command in the following order:

1. Corporate Employees
    2. Business Employees
    3. Full-Time Educators (required to accomplish more work than any other entity)
    4. Adjunct Educators (are paid the least)
    5. Students (required to pay a lot)

There has been a disappointing chasm between those involved in Academia, and those involved in the business pursuits of the school.

Full-time educators, specifically Program Administrators, must embrace teaching and corporate responsibilities. Because of this dual responsibility, the turnover rate for full-time educators is nearly 100%. Corporate repeatedly ignores this number, which is frustrating to Eagle Gate students and educators.

Students base their college experience on the caliber of their teachers more than anything else. Take advice from academia (students + educators) more than you have in the past. Confront your disastrous academic educator turnover rate, and reduce the workload of Program Administrators.

Adjunct faculty members get paid less at Eagle Gate than most other local colleges and universities.