Earth Fare

www.earthfare.com

Earth Fare Reviews in Asheville, NC

Updated Apr 15, 2014
Earth Fare – “Typical Earth Fare storefront”

Earth Fare President and CEO Jack Murphy

Jack Murphy

Pros
  • The company does offer an employee discount and decent benefits(in 15 reviews)

• 20% discount is nice even thought I still can't afford to shop there on my salary(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Half of the home office is an "Assistant Director" of a made up title(in 13 reviews)

• And then feeling like you'll never be supported by upper management is awful(in 11 reviews)

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Flexibility is key to success

Current Employee (Current Employee) Fletcher, NC

ProsThe people here are fantastic! I've worked a lot of places in my life, but never encountered the quality of individuals that I have here at Earth Fare. My managers, peers, and co-workers are a great bunch of people who truly care about others and what they do.

The discounts and savings in the store aren't bad either. I don't know of another grocer who offers 20% off to its employees.

ConsThe biggest challenge is figuring out where, or what exactly the goals are for the company. We constantly shift priority from project to project and this is a bit confusing, but to be expected with a company growing this fast.

A "local-minded" company with corporate motivations

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsCoworkers and community. There are people who have been with the company long enough to remember the culture that created the boom.

ConsBureaucracy. It is hard to get things done well with all the mandates and promotional gunk from above.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving trust in your employees is an investment. Pay them well and treat them with respect; it will pay off.

Feed the rich, keep the poor, poor.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fletcher, NC

Pros20% discount is nice even thought I still can't afford to shop there on my salary.
    50% off pizza slice and hot bar.
    401k matching and medical benefits.

ConsYearly raises capped at 3%. And you're lucky if you get it.
    Only way to get raise is if you get a title change. Half of the home office is an "Assistant Director" of a made up title. And no "Director" exists. It's stupid and everyone sees it and is disgruntled about it.
    Avoids taking a stance on GMOs.
    VPs expense their cars, Starbucks, plane tickets that are not work related, amongst other things.
    No bonuses given - no yearly bonus, no Christmas bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to what Earth Fare is about - natural, organic food. Sustainablility. No GMOs. Eating healthy. Make sure your employees know they are appreciated, especially they ones that have been there for 5+ years. Stop giving title changes to employees that have been there one year just so they can make more money and give raises to those that have been working hard behind the scenes. EVERY employee is important, not just those that are noticeable. Data needs updated, customer service people are IMPORTANT - everyone that keeps the company running - not just the ones that show you the pretty emails they designed or the coupon the thought of. More people than you realize are disgruntled and would leave if they could. A lot of employees are living paycheck to paycheck while others are getting title changes that are complete BS. A lot of full time employees are working two jobs just to get by. Also, married couples should NOT be allowed in the same department. It's awkward for others.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work, especially if going to school

Bookkeeper (Current Employee) Asheville, NC

Pros20% off, great management, clean place to work

Conscustomers sometimes can be quite rude

Advice to Senior Managementno advice they do a great job.

Hoping they sell the company soon to an owner that knows how to run a company and how to treat its employees.

Department Manager (Former Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsStill thinking............paychecks never bounced............nothing else comes to mind.

ConsMiserable working conditions. Always understaffed and employees pay is substandard for the work they are expected to perform. Always hear about how good the company is doing, but employees are never rewarded for it. The only thing that keeps employees there is the fact that they haven't found another job yet. If you're totally unqualified you can get a position at the corporate office.

Advice to Senior ManagementTurn over the reigns to qualified management team, because you are not.

Customer Service Rep

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsWonderful work atmosphere, very good management, very understanding. Flexible work schedule, which was really important for me, as a student. Good benefits

ConsCannot think of any cons. The only thing is that I applied twice before was hired.

Greed is a Sin

Employee (Current Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsGood benefits offered. Food philosophy already in place before take over of current owners. Co-workers are great human beings,

ConsWhat they pay to most workers does not reflect the values and principles of the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, or Christian beliefs. It is shameful and sinful. Toxic shame Is always shameful and sinful. Most of the employees have no buying power to get Insurance, or the 401k plan, much less a decent car, or much of anything else. They should try to live on 8 to 9 dollars an hour, working less than 40 hours a week. Walk in their shoes for a year! See how you like it!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop sinning. REPENT! Realize that you are on the cutting edge of the new revolution of a living wage paid to everyone who works for this company We create the wealth at the local level, that you have redistributed to yourselves and the Investors. Shame on YOU!

What a long, strange trip it's been.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsAlternative lifestyles accepted, you can move up in the company.

ConsIt's not what you know but who you know that gets you places, here. I have see people with very little experience elevated to top, key positions. I have seen titles made up to accommodate people and seen them given authority over people who have worked hard and been dedicated for years. There is no transparency, meetings are kept behind closed doors, there is a lot of secrecy. If you are willing to let go of free thinking and personal ideals, you can go far.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the past 5 years, it has felt like a company that lacks focus....jumps from one idea to the next, does not value the feedback of staff or customers. Training, focus on ingredients and customer service have all taken a back seat to profits, marketing schemes and races.

Good People and environment, bad management with very bad scheduling.

Sales (Former Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsThe employees are great and friendly. Everyone works hard and helps out.
    The atmosphere rocks, the customers are cool, and they get to know you and you get to know them.
    There are some decent perks, like discounted lunch and discounts store wide.

ConsManagement isn't great.
    It's retail and they treat their employees like they don't matter.
    Poor scheduling.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually care about your employees.

Miserable place to work, in every aspect.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsWorking with employees at store level only positive aspect.

ConsToo many negatives to list. Used to be a really good place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign and bring in competent corporate leaders. Curent ones are a joke.

Worked for Earth Fare? Contribute to the Community!