Earth Fare Reviews in Asheville, NC

Updated August 27, 2014
2.4

Earth Fare President and CEO Jack Murphy
Jack Murphy

Pros
  • The company does offer an employee discount and decent benefits (in 15 reviews)

• 20% discount is nice even thought I still can't afford to shop there on my salary (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Half of the home office is an "Assistant Director" of a made up title (in 13 reviews)

• And then feeling like you'll never be supported by upper management is awful (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Flexibility is key to success

Current Employee - Current Employee  in  Fletcher, NC
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Fletcher, NC

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people here are fantastic! I've worked a lot of places in my life, but never encountered the quality of individuals that I have here at Earth Fare. My managers, peers, and co-workers are a great bunch of people who truly care about others and what they do.

The discounts and savings in the store aren't bad either. I don't know of another grocer who offers 20% off to its employees.

Cons

The biggest challenge is figuring out where, or what exactly the goals are for the company. We constantly shift priority from project to project and this is a bit confusing, but to be expected with a company growing this fast.

No Values! - Corporate Office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fletcher, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fletcher, NC

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is comparable, management is generally flexible with scheduling

Cons

Upper management turns their head to personal activities that go on between VPs and their employees. Obvious behavior between individuals that is not workplace appropriate but it seems to be accepted because of the VPs position. Others are unfairly treated because Earth Fare allows this behavior. Where is it acceptable for a VP to have a relationship with one of their employees? I thought Earth Fare was proud of their values? I was proud to be a part of this company until I have witnessed this behavior over the past 9 months. It has been brought the attention of HR with no recourse. How can we allow a VP to represent Earth Fare and to make such big decisions on behalf of the company when it is clear they can't even keep their personal life out of work. Doesn't the fact that the VP and their subordinate being in a relationship together affect the ability to do one's job and doesn't it reflect a poor example to all others inside and outside of the company? This is completely unacceptable. Those are not the people who should be the face of Earth Fare!!

Pay attention and take action on these activities. Your employees take pride in the values Earth Fare stands for and by allowing even one person to behave in this manner and to have personal relationships with their subordinates is insane. It's distracting, it's unfair, and your lack of attention and repremand for this type of behavior is unacceptable. Stop trying to please the VPs and stand up for all the rest of us!

A "local-minded" company with corporate motivations

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers and community. There are people who have been with the company long enough to remember the culture that created the boom.

Cons

Bureaucracy. It is hard to get things done well with all the mandates and promotional gunk from above.

Having trust in your employees is an investment. Pay them well and treat them with respect; it will pay off.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Feed the rich, keep the poor, poor.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fletcher, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fletcher, NC

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

20% discount is nice even thought I still can't afford to shop there on my salary.
    50% off pizza slice and hot bar.
    401k matching and medical benefits.

Cons

Yearly raises capped at 3%. And you're lucky if you get it.
    Only way to get raise is if you get a title change. Half of the home office is an "Assistant Director" of a made up title. And no "Director" exists. It's stupid and everyone sees it and is disgruntled about it.
    Avoids taking a stance on GMOs.
    VPs expense their cars, Starbucks, plane tickets that are not work related, amongst other things.
    No bonuses given - no yearly bonus, no Christmas bonus.

Get back to what Earth Fare is about - natural, organic food. Sustainablility. No GMOs. Eating healthy. Make sure your employees know they are appreciated, especially they ones that have been there for 5+ years. Stop giving title changes to employees that have been there one year just so they can make more money and give raises to those that have been working hard behind the scenes. EVERY employee is important, not just those that are noticeable. Data needs updated, customer service people are IMPORTANT - everyone that keeps the company running - not just the ones that show you the pretty emails they designed or the coupon the thought of. More people than you realize are disgruntled and would leave if they could. A lot of employees are living paycheck to paycheck while others are getting title changes that are complete BS. A lot of full time employees are working two jobs just to get by. Also, married couples should NOT be allowed in the same department. It's awkward for others.

Great place to work, especially if going to school

Current Employee - Bookkeeper  in  Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Bookkeeper in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time for more than a year

Pros

20% off, great management, clean place to work

Cons

customers sometimes can be quite rude

no advice they do a great job.

Hoping they sell the company soon to an owner that knows how to run a company and how to treat its employees.

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Asheville, NC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Still thinking............paychecks never bounced............nothing else comes to mind.

Cons

Miserable working conditions. Always understaffed and employees pay is substandard for the work they are expected to perform. Always hear about how good the company is doing, but employees are never rewarded for it. The only thing that keeps employees there is the fact that they haven't found another job yet. If you're totally unqualified you can get a position at the corporate office.

Turn over the reigns to qualified management team, because you are not.

Customer Service Rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Asheville, NC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful work atmosphere, very good management, very understanding. Flexible work schedule, which was really important for me, as a student. Good benefits

Cons

Cannot think of any cons. The only thing is that I applied twice before was hired.

Greed is a Sin

Current Employee - Employee  in  Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Employee in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits offered. Food philosophy already in place before take over of current owners. Co-workers are great human beings,

Cons

What they pay to most workers does not reflect the values and principles of the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, or Christian beliefs. It is shameful and sinful. Toxic shame Is always shameful and sinful. Most of the employees have no buying power to get Insurance, or the 401k plan, much less a decent car, or much of anything else. They should try to live on 8 to 9 dollars an hour, working less than 40 hours a week. Walk in their shoes for a year! See how you like it!

Stop sinning. REPENT! Realize that you are on the cutting edge of the new revolution of a living wage paid to everyone who works for this company We create the wealth at the local level, that you have redistributed to yourselves and the Investors. Shame on YOU!

What a long, strange trip it's been.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Alternative lifestyles accepted, you can move up in the company.

Cons

It's not what you know but who you know that gets you places, here. I have see people with very little experience elevated to top, key positions. I have seen titles made up to accommodate people and seen them given authority over people who have worked hard and been dedicated for years. There is no transparency, meetings are kept behind closed doors, there is a lot of secrecy. If you are willing to let go of free thinking and personal ideals, you can go far.

In the past 5 years, it has felt like a company that lacks focus....jumps from one idea to the next, does not value the feedback of staff or customers. Training, focus on ingredients and customer service have all taken a back seat to profits, marketing schemes and races.

Good People and environment, bad management with very bad scheduling.

Former Employee - Sales  in  Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Sales in Asheville, NC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time for less than a year

Pros

The employees are great and friendly. Everyone works hard and helps out.
    The atmosphere rocks, the customers are cool, and they get to know you and you get to know them.
    There are some decent perks, like discounted lunch and discounts store wide.

Cons

Management isn't great.
    It's retail and they treat their employees like they don't matter.
    Poor scheduling.

Actually care about your employees.

Worked for Earth Fare? Contribute to the Community!