Earth Fare Reviews in Athens, GA

Updated July 27, 2014

2.5

Earth Fare President and CEO Jack Murphy
Jack Murphy

Pros
  • The company does offer an employee discount and decent benefits (in 15 reviews)

• 20% discount is nice even thought I still can't afford to shop there on my salary (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Half of the home office is an "Assistant Director" of a made up title (in 13 reviews)

• And then feeling like you'll never be supported by upper management is awful (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not a place for anyone who enjoys the fruits of contributing within the workplace.

Current Employee - Deli  in  Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Deli in Athens, GA

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time for more than a year

Pros

The community of employees is built up as a network within which you have an opportunity to meet everyone and grow a particular relationship with each one, individually and as groups. The company as a whole seems to have been built with good intent as far as their code of ethics and many of the practices I witness within the operation, first-hand. They are also not at all guilty of judgement of lifestyle, and seem to therefore foster a community hot-spot, with employees and regulars who are a live example of a corporately established farmer's market/cafe.

Cons

Aside of Walm. or few other service-oriented businesses have I felt less appreciated or compensated for work, both skills, education, and a well-build ethic, while earning less than 8.80 in 2014. I have worked for Earth Fare for over a year now and have never seen a raise, but only been evaded when I have asked for one. I have been trained to run, full-time, my department, as well as to fill in for other departments. I train new-hires with less experience than myself to make at least a dollar more than myself, and other employees receive compensation for taking-on additional tasks for the business, whereas I have never received any such equal such compensations. I am formally rebuked for the few minor infractions I may have incurred in my time there, insinuating a higher standard of my position, whereas I work with people whose priorities lie in drinking on the job, or having frequent bodily illnesses preventing them from showing up either on-time or not at all, and these behaviors and others' are somehow unmanageable by our direct management system.

The Athens, GA location is run via a combination of the Departmental and Functional Organizational Structures, the only problem I am experiencing directly being their Functional Structure. I am unable to say directly if there is at this time a personal dispute between myself and any member of management, though I have no quarrels. I have in the past on several occasions felt that there was disagreement among the levels of management as to whether I should be further employed, and at this time I feel that it has been agreed that I not be rewarded for any work I do for which equal employees would be rewarded, that I make as minimal wage as anyone else in my position, regardless of my education or further experience.
    My advice to management would be to operate their business in a way more in alignment with their companies code of ethics and not their own. Furthermore, monitoring of this from higher in the company may not be a bad idea.
     Finally, and perhaps most importantly, a more formalized training program, perhaps at least to ensure more of a team-oriented work atmosphere with "spec:" ways of completing tasks would go a long way. This, as well as some OSHA materials for purposes of educating the new employees of health and safety in a kitchen environment. There currently are no training sessions of any sort.

dont waste your time

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk  in  Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Athens, GA

I worked at Earth Fare

Pros

team member discount, great people to work with

Cons

poor communication from management, unflexable hours

Began as a business built on principals, but sold out. Integrity takes back burner to profits.

Former Employee - Hourly Employee  in  Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Hourly Employee in Athens, GA

I worked at Earth Fare

Pros

Discount on relatively better quality food.
    At one time, the employees and employers worked together as a team--even as a family (but don't expect this now.)
    Some, if only a few, people at the corporate level are passionate about the integrity of the industry.

Cons

CEO makes careless jokes about GMOs--"Monsanto gives us a GREAT deal on cheap corn!"
    No loyalty to their mission statement: i.e. "No cruelty to animals", however there are factory farmed milks on the shelves. "We support sustainable agriculture", however only ONE local farmer is sold in the GA store, countless products are still coming from Brazil and Argentina--hardly sustainable!
    I've seen countless valuable employees wrongfully terminated, or worse, bullied into quitting by members of management.

Care about your people and care about your industry, or you will lose both.

Worked for Earth Fare? Contribute to the Community!