Earth Fare Reviews in Charleston, SC

Updated July 28, 2014
2.4

Earth Fare President and CEO Jack Murphy
Jack Murphy

Pros
  • The company does offer an employee discount and decent benefits (in 15 reviews)

• 20% discount is nice even thought I still can't afford to shop there on my salary (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Half of the home office is an "Assistant Director" of a made up title (in 13 reviews)

• And then feeling like you'll never be supported by upper management is awful (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Just a stepping stone type job with a company with huge potential and great ideas but not really succeeding.

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Mount Pleasant, SC
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Mount Pleasant, SC

I worked at Earth Fare

Pros

Good discount on healthy food for employees
    Working in an environment that encourages a healthy lifestyle
    Emphasis on educating employees and customers about health, cooking, green living
    Pretty fair, tries to give its employees many chances to succeed

Cons

Pay is not very competitive for buyers, supervisors, managers or corporate positions compared to similar companies
    Too many politics and shady deals going on, not enough policy
    There was a serious lack of respect for lower level employees which forced management to enforce arbitrary rules which seemed to change and mutate on the whim of corporate management or because of a singular incident.
    Hours were cut, added, deleted, changed and employees were expected to comply and management was expected to fill in all the gaps somehow.
    High turnover rate.
    Often poorly equiped

Be willing to invest in good people, good benifits, and good locations. The key to success is to wisely spend to make money not to conservatively pinch to save money.

overworked, underpaid and never appreciated

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Charleston, SC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time for more than a year

Pros

As everyone says, you get a discount on mostly overpriced food (especially in the deli and hot bar). I met some amazing people at earth fare.

Cons

Where to start?
    Since the buy out in 2012, this company has lost its way - less quality food esp. in the hot bar and deli, so many coupons and promotions the cashiers have no chance, corporate office desperately out of touch with store operations, very low pay with sad 3% max raises annually and loss of yearly bonuses.
    But wait, there's more!
    Intense focus on comp sales and numbers game yet depts have less labor hours and provide very little training to new employees. Store management is constantly scrambling to help out understaffed depts and if there is a coupon happening (often in the meat dept), they will ask literally anyone to work the counter, including dishwashers, cashiers, etc. You must staff properly to deliver excellent customer service!
    Finally...
    Every month there is another corny marketing plan with t-shirts and banners and 6 months later they will have completely abandoned the program. They are throwing ideas at the wall and seeing what will stick - the answer is generally nothing.

This could go on and on, but hopefully you get the idea.

Honestly, I believe it is too late. Former CEO stood for principles of healthy food with clean ingredients - new team is numbers crazy with little regard for low level employees and their lives. Increase pay, improve benefits package, staff all depts properly, train employees to better serve customers, get home office in the stores to see what it's really like. Again, this could go on and on.

Low pay, always understaffed, management is highly unprofessional.

Former Employee - Catering and Special Events Coordinate  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Catering and Special Events Coordinate in Charleston, SC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time for less than a year

Pros

20 percent discount and great assortment of health foods.

Cons

Unbelievably understaffed all of the time, management is oppressive and unprofessional, they do not provide resources needed to perform your job, extremely poor customer service due to understaffing, excessive running out of products.there is very low morale. Abusive behavior toward employees by department managers is tolerated by upper management at the Charleston location.Preparation and planning to coordinate special events in non existent.

Increase wages, allow employees to file formal complaints concerning how they treated, hire more people instead of stretching the staff unbearably, REQUIRE managers to receive professional development training to instill true professionalism.Show care and appreciation for employees and bring out the best of them instead of using them as scapegoats for your lack of management. Also, hire a Pest control company that guarantees the removal of roaches a rats. Infestation is excessive in food services.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Why do you treat your employees as if they are all thieves? Personal experience, perhaps?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time

Pros

Fellow employees are mostly great.

Cons

Do you enjoy being micro managed and treated like a child and a thief? Work here.

Don't be the way you are (and you know how you are).

Full of lies

Former Employee - Assistant Food Service Manager  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Assistant Food Service Manager in Charleston, SC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time for more than a year

Pros

The discount on Food.was fair.

Cons

Store management in Charleston is cut throat and heartless. Unethical.

Come out.

Fresh but cooked and bagged in a central kitchen. Fail

Former Employee - Food Service  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Food Service in Charleston, SC

I worked at Earth Fare part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay was okay, on the lower end though.

Cons

They usually higher management outside of the company and take advantage of people who work hard. Training is horrible also.

I think they need to get a better perspective on employee morale

Just a Job, Not a Career

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Discount on food
    Nice peers to work with
    Somewhat decent benefits

Cons

MASSIVE Turnover, Non-competitive low pay,
    Yearly raise capped at three percent max even if you were a perfect employee
    New employees getting paid as much or more than seasoned employees due to rigid pay structure

Your employees are you greatest resource. Try to remember that instead of using them as a way to cut cost.

This review could go both ways

Former Employee - Cashier  in  North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Cashier in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most of the co-workers were great (other than the occasional dud, which we did have).

Customers could either they can be really nice or they can really ruin your day. A lot of them are very fascinating though, I guess the idea of a "healthy supermarket" in America attracts a lot of foreigners, really neat sorts of people.

20% discount on all groceries (except alcohol)/50% on the hot bar is nice. It still can be expensive though.

The EF motto is good, no high fructose corn syrup etc, your mindset will start to change once you work there. You start avoiding bad foods and look for healthier ones. When I worked at EF, I noticed how much fast food I cut down on. Just a random perk.

Cons

The other half of customers are rude old people, or just rude people in general. You have to learn to just deal with them. If they're rude to you, just keep smiling and be friendly and then make them feel bad afterwards for being mean to such a friendly employee.

The shifts are extremely long, not very flexible, it's hard to get other people to cover your shifts because of "budget cuts" by firing people. If you're closing and you're on the front end, don't expect to be leaving at 9 or 9:30, it's more like 9:45 til 10.

Pretty much the entire store also assumes that the cashiers will do the "dirty work" for them. When I left EF, they were still adding on tasks for all of the cashiers to do. How are the cashiers even supposed to do their own jobs when there are a million other things that they require them to do? It was just ridiculous.

Lots of favoritism went on as well, the company guaranteed further advancement in positions but probably won't actually promote you. If they do, it's usually for the wrong reason - i.e. the manager feels bad for you because you have a kid/wife, etc.

If you get a raise, it's usually something not even worth it - usually a bare extra 50 cents an hour.

After the first few days of work at Earth Fare, I already started to dread it. It's all I would think about and stress over. It's just an extreme burden to be an employee there. If you're looking between a job at Earth Fare and another job, please choose the other job! It'd be for your own good.

Respect your employees. When I worked at Earth Fare, the management really really under-appreciated the employees. Sometimes I felt like I was useless, there was never any praise or motivation.

Also, the managers should consider doing "contests" for departments, it would brighten the employees' days. And just stop with the favoritism. I'm just glad I left EF.

Great products, great staff, poor pay, poor advancement opportunities

Current Employee - Bookkeeper  in  Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Bookkeeper in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Earth Fare

Pros

Excellent food philosophy, 20% discount on purchases, pretty surroundings, flexible schedules.

Cons

Low pay compared to what our competition offers, VERY FEW females promoted to management, very high expectations of employee's with very little given back. Earth Fare pretends to promote from within. No clear path to advancement with the company. Very biased against employees with college degree's. The highest raise a team member may receive after one year of dedicated service is 3% of their hourly rate. That amounts to pennies!

Show more appreciation for team members with praise, financial incentives, and mentoring.

dissatisfied

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Earth Fare

Pros

products and discounts, co workers make the job bearable

Cons

unprofessional, skirt chasing and parties with team members (certain ones) they are allowed to miss work after and everyone else is held to a different standard. They are backstabbing and self serving.

If the district manager is to continue to work at our location, he needs to maintain his professiolism and not talk about people who no longer works for the company and concetrate on the ones who are stil employed but not getting the job done.

Earth Fare Photos

Typical Earth Fare storefront

+ Add Photo

Worked for Earth Fare? Contribute to the Community!