Earth Fare

www.earthfare.com

Earth Fare Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014
Earth Fare – “Typical Earth Fare storefront”

Earth Fare President and CEO Jack Murphy

Jack Murphy

Pros
  • The company does offer an employee discount and decent benefits(in 15 reviews)

• 20% discount is nice even thought I still can't afford to shop there on my salary(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Half of the home office is an "Assistant Director" of a made up title(in 13 reviews)

• And then feeling like you'll never be supported by upper management is awful(in 11 reviews)

Do not work for this company

Specialty Manager (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe other folks you'll work with at the stores are mighty fine. 20% has it's advantages and meeting new customers via heavy doese of interaction are swell.

ConsTerrible management, empty lip service of their corporate mission blather and the upkeep of equipment and general cleanliness of the stores behind the curtain is abysmal.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'll cite just one example of bad management. Today, I resigned from a Dept. Mgr. position at the EarthFare that is slated to open on July 16th in Greenwood, IN where I was relocating my family. Last week they held a local job fair in south Indy and although HR had allegedly screened the viable candidates, NO ONE showed up for their scheduled interviews for my department where I was seeking 3 hires. After the first day of the No-shows, I was asked by the Store Manager to leave the Job Fair and trawl the local competition Grocery Stores for potential candidates who were working behind the counters and lure them to come apply at the nearly fictional Job Fair. It was an embarrassing, insulting and bizarre request that yielded nothing but my further scorn for the company I was working for. I promptly followed up some applications at some local stores in Cleveland where I live and. as of yesterday, have successfully landed a gig at the premier Grocery chain, (Heinens) in the area. The end.

Welcoming environment for a band of misfits looking for a community.

Department Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe number one pro is fellow team mates. Good benefits, which are offered to life partner and also some benefits for part time workers. A family like environment, with potential for promotion.

ConsThe number one con, that is also a pro, is the family like environment, which often causes management to play favorites. Also, quite difficult goals to meet, often with less than adequate resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure everyone has the tools they need to be successful.

Bunch of rookie managers

Food Service Department (Former Employee)

ProsUmmm...uh...let me think....I guess the concept of these stores is a good thing for those that need it, but other supermarkets are offering larger and larger supplies of them same items.

ConsNo real training or just one day, for new inexperienced employees, they just throw you right in, figure it out yourself. Managers are too young and inexperienced. Don't understand what team work means, haven't had time to develop their own ethics or moral, so cannot lead well. More like nazi rule, than nurturing or guiding..

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about and sweating the small stuff! Love your people that show up every day. Acknowledge them, thank them, be a cheerleader instead of suspect of every move. Follow up on suggestions, double check your sources, question motives. Follow through, don't be lazy! No favoritism! It causes resentment, divides the herd! Stop worrying about your own ego, try caring for your people, support them, they will lift you up. When someone tells you of a wrong doing, don't believe them without verifying. Too much more to say than I can write.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A lot of promises

Produce Clerk (Former Employee) Fairview Park, OH

ProsRelaxed Dress Code, Nice Discount, you'll work with great people who believe in the company (until they don't).

ConsI've heard it's changed since I worked there, but anyone in management workd 50-60 hours a week, no exceptions. this can put a lot of stress on your department head and make working an unpleasant experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe kinder to your department heads and they'll be kinder to your employees, who will work harder for you in the long run.

Flexibility is key to success

Current Employee (Current Employee) Fletcher, NC

ProsThe people here are fantastic! I've worked a lot of places in my life, but never encountered the quality of individuals that I have here at Earth Fare. My managers, peers, and co-workers are a great bunch of people who truly care about others and what they do.

The discounts and savings in the store aren't bad either. I don't know of another grocer who offers 20% off to its employees.

ConsThe biggest challenge is figuring out where, or what exactly the goals are for the company. We constantly shift priority from project to project and this is a bit confusing, but to be expected with a company growing this fast.

Could be so great, but not quite...

Community Relations Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsCo-workers are generally like-minded and fun to be around. The discount is great (20%). Its nice to be surrounded by healthy people and healthy food.

ConsManagement, especially at the corporate level. Most don't actually understand what working in a grocery store is like and try out their random ideas like the stores are some kind of science experiment. Turn-over is quite high because the pay isn't great and employees aren't treated with much respect.

A "local-minded" company with corporate motivations

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsCoworkers and community. There are people who have been with the company long enough to remember the culture that created the boom.

ConsBureaucracy. It is hard to get things done well with all the mandates and promotional gunk from above.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving trust in your employees is an investment. Pay them well and treat them with respect; it will pay off.

Easy Job

Bulk Specialist (Current Employee) Augusta, GA

Pros-Good discount
    -Decent managers
    -Easy Job
    - Great for college students

Cons-Not very good raises
    - Moving up is about kissing ass

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees more.

Low pay, always understaffed, management is highly unprofessional.

Catering and Special Events Coordinate (Former Employee) Charleston, SC

Pros20 percent discount and great assortment of health foods.

ConsUnbelievably understaffed all of the time, management is oppressive and unprofessional, they do not provide resources needed to perform your job, extremely poor customer service due to understaffing, excessive running out of products.there is very low morale. Abusive behavior toward employees by department managers is tolerated by upper management at the Charleston location.Preparation and planning to coordinate special events in non existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease wages, allow employees to file formal complaints concerning how they treated, hire more people instead of stretching the staff unbearably, REQUIRE managers to receive professional development training to instill true professionalism.Show care and appreciation for employees and bring out the best of them instead of using them as scapegoats for your lack of management. Also, hire a Pest control company that guarantees the removal of roaches a rats. Infestation is excessive in food services.

Great company.

ProsThe people you work with are outstanding.

ConsHome office is out of touch with operations

Worked for Earth Fare? Contribute to the Community!