Earth Fare
www.earthfare.com Fletcher, NC 1000 to 5000 Employees

Earth Fare Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
Earth Fare – “Typical Earth Fare storefront”

Earth Fare President and CEO Jack Murphy

Jack Murphy

Pros:
  • "The company does offer an employee discount and decent benefits"
    in 15 reviews
  • "20% discount is nice even thought I still can't afford to shop there on my salary"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Half of the home office is an "Assistant Director" of a made up title"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Abusive behavior toward employees by department managers is tolerated by upper management at the Charleston location"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Lots of lip service coming from Home Office about "We're All In This Together" without a lot backing that up

Scan Coordinator (Former Employee)
    West Asheville, NC

ProsTends to attract interesting and passionate people who want to positively impact their community and the environment. Management in store led by example, getting their hands dirty along with the team. It was the people who worked in the store who made this job.

ConsSloppy and cut throat decision-making from the Home Office. Skimpy on pay. Only a maximum 3% raise at yearly review. Not enough hours given to dept. to hire people to get the job done right, so that everyone is extremely frazzled and at each other's throats. Creates an environment of paranoia, disillusionment and apathy from people who came to the company not because it was a job, but because it was a place they felt mirrored their morals and ethics.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people at the Home Office who have actually worked on the ground level; who understand how the policies, coupons and sales they enact will affect things at store level. For as expensive as the food is, share some of that profit with your team...my store (Westgate) is the busiest store out of the entire company, bringing in the most revenue and yet not a single dept. had adequate staffing...and we did not get a bonus that year. It's completely demoralizing.

Hoping they sell the company soon to an owner that knows how to run a company and how to treat its employees.

Department Manager (Former Employee)
    Asheville, NC

ProsStill thinking............paychecks never bounced............nothing else comes to mind.

ConsMiserable working conditions. Always understaffed and employees pay is substandard for the work they are expected to perform. Always hear about how good the company is doing, but employees are never rewarded for it. The only thing that keeps employees there is the fact that they haven't found another job yet. If you're totally unqualified you can get a position at the corporate office.

Advice to Senior ManagementTurn over the reigns to qualified management team, because you are not.

Customer Service Rep

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Asheville, NC

ProsWonderful work atmosphere, very good management, very understanding. Flexible work schedule, which was really important for me, as a student. Good benefits

ConsCannot think of any cons. The only thing is that I applied twice before was hired.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I cried almost every day I worked here.

Food Service Manager (Former Employee)

ProsTry new foods, employee discount, access to healthy foods, some great co-workers

ConsManagement that harassed, demeaned, and bullied their employees. They expected their salaried staff to work morning til night and frowned upon "days off" or "leaving work after working 12 hours". Working here was truly, and with no exaggeration the single worst thing that has happened to my life. I have never felt more disposable or unappreciated in a workplace especially after working regular 60-70+ hour work weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect and get rid of "leaders" who sexually and verbally harass team members.

Started out optimistic, but that didn't last.

Huntersville, NC

ProsThe Employee Discount is the only pro.

ConsEach single employee is expected to do the work of 3 people. Very understaffed which in return makes working stressful. Managers are not willing to help out when needed and are lazy. They don't care about employee's well-being and are hardly qualified to be managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employee's questions and concerns. If you care and address their concerns they will appreciate it, work harder and feel like what they do is important.

Why do you treat your employees as if they are all thieves? Personal experience, perhaps?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Charleston, SC

ProsFellow employees are mostly great.

ConsDo you enjoy being micro managed and treated like a child and a thief? Work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be the way you are (and you know how you are).

.Love nature and organ food.

Preparation Cook (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsLearn a lot about nature food and it product.

ConsNeed better benefit. There not much room to grow in the company.

Earth Fare is a good place to work.

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Huntsville, AL

ProsEarth Fare offers great deals to their customers and employees. Employees can take advantage of the deals, plus get 20% off of purchases. Coworkers and customers are very friendly.

ConsShort breaks, As a cashier, standing in once place for an entire shift is monotonous and extremely tiring.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining of new employees could improve. Cashiers are given very little hands on experience before being put on a register. We often have to call someone over for questions or problems because we have not had much training.

Full of lies

Assistant Food Service Manager (Former Employee)
    Charleston, SC

ProsThe discount on Food.was fair.

ConsStore management in Charleston is cut throat and heartless. Unethical.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome out.

Another song off the broken record...

ProsNot really any coming to mind...

ConsThey fired an assistant at my store because he wouldn't pack up his family and move to a different state on a weeks notice. Should also mention that the guy's first child had just been born about three weeks earlier. Not really a company that follows it's own "be good, do good" philosophy.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the walk. You talk about how great your environment is in the interviews, then treat your employees like cattle headed to the slaughter. It's really sad because you do have a pretty good concept, your home office team is doing about everything possible to run you out of business.

Worked for Earth Fare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Earth Fare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Earth Fare CEO Jack Murphy. All 102 reviews posted anonymously by Earth Fare employees.