Earth Fare
www.earthfare.com Fletcher, NC 1000 to 5000 Employees

Earth Fare Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014
Earth Fare – “Typical Earth Fare storefront”

Earth Fare President and CEO Jack Murphy

Jack Murphy

Pros:
  • "The company does offer an employee discount and decent benefits"
    in 15 reviews
  • "20% discount is nice even thought I still can't afford to shop there on my salary"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Half of the home office is an "Assistant Director" of a made up title"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Abusive behavior toward employees by department managers is tolerated by upper management at the Charleston location"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great ambience and staff, but Earth Fare is short sighted and not genuinely passionate about health or the planet.

Wellness Clerk (Former Employee)

ProsI loved the fact that most of the staff really care about clean food and the environment. They were a passionate, friendly bunch of folks.

ConsThe corporate attitude of cynicism trickles down to store and department management and frustrates the employees who have real passion. Management is mostly going through the motions because corporate doesn't reward them for actually caring - instead I think they suck the life out of them over time.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that paying people well works - look at Costco's model! Respecting, asking for and focusing on your managers' and staff's passion and input makes the company come alive from the store level. Don't squelch people's passion for the healthy lifestyle by telling them their idealism is unwanted and doesn't matter. The reason they work here could be your greatest strength as a company. Putting fast short term growth as the top priority leads to emptiness and misery for all involved.Those who work there all know you're only paying lip service to the stated values of the company. It's bad business to have your whole staff rolling their eyes because what you claim to stand for stops at the surface.

Confused company

Grocery Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe staff goes through phases, but at times it seems like you are surrounded by people happy to be there and willing to help you out regardless of your level of authority or what department you are in. If you are a health conscious and motivated person, this place can be a very encouraging environment. Also, if you like to party, you will find friends at Earth Fares across the nation.

ConsThis company was once trying to be a sustainable grocery store that provided healthy food in an environmentally responsible way and in a socially responsible way. Now they are simply trying to expand. expand their company by opening lots and lots of new stores, and expand their customer basis by coming up with new marketing programs constantly, and usually just letting the old programs dwindle into nothingness. The home office is completely disconnected and indifferent to store level operations. they are all up in your business if you are a department manager. Simultaneously they will often make huge mistakes with out apology. also, they will neglect your inquiries completely at times. the pay is terrible considering the amount of work and responsibility required of you as an employee on all levels from part time clerks to department managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay everyone more, lower your prices, stop constantly launching new programs.

Communication...nope. High standards for department heads...nope

Grocery Clerk (Current Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsDiscount. Awesome coworkers. Easy going. Fun atmosphere..................... .... ... .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ... ... ... ...

ConsThere is little communication from managers. Passive aggressive comments about your work but they won't tell you what you are doing wrong. Any complaints about managers aren't taken seriously. Only 2 hard working department heads in the store, others sit around and barely work....bad precedent set by managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your employees, communicate!! Take what you're employees are saying seriously. Set a good precedent for your employees or else they are going to follow your lead.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

you can do better

Prosi have a flexible schedule

Consthere is no room for growth

Great part-time job but ultimately disappointing

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, great coworkers, friendly enviornment, 20% discount, friendly customers

ConsLots of hours(could be good and bad) some rules seemed kind of petty, favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate doesn't care about the small people working in the stores. Was treated poorly by the HR and head office. Advice to management: stick up to the home office for your employees and do your research before promoting from within

Be truthful about who you are and what you are about

Department Manager (Current Employee)
    Carmel, IN

ProsDiscount and decent benefit package for full time

ConsThey are not truthful with applicants. The hiring process and interviews make you believe that you will be a part of something great. Once you are in you will realize that you are just part of a very unorganized group of leaders (corporate and store level) that truly dont care about the mission statement. Rather, slashing hours and overworking employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe truthful with applicants so they know what they are getting into--just a prettier big box grocery store.

Do not work for this company

Specialty Manager (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe other folks you'll work with at the stores are mighty fine. 20% has it's advantages and meeting new customers via heavy doese of interaction are swell.

ConsTerrible management, empty lip service of their corporate mission blather and the upkeep of equipment and general cleanliness of the stores behind the curtain is abysmal.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'll cite just one example of bad management. Today, I resigned from a Dept. Mgr. position at the EarthFare that is slated to open on July 16th in Greenwood, IN where I was relocating my family. Last week they held a local job fair in south Indy and although HR had allegedly screened the viable candidates, NO ONE showed up for their scheduled interviews for my department where I was seeking 3 hires. After the first day of the No-shows, I was asked by the Store Manager to leave the Job Fair and trawl the local competition Grocery Stores for potential candidates who were working behind the counters and lure them to come apply at the nearly fictional Job Fair. It was an embarrassing, insulting and bizarre request that yielded nothing but my further scorn for the company I was working for. I promptly followed up some applications at some local stores in Cleveland where I live and. as of yesterday, have successfully landed a gig at the premier Grocery chain, (Heinens) in the area. The end.

Flexibility is key to success

Current Employee (Current Employee)
    Fletcher, NC

ProsThe people here are fantastic! I've worked a lot of places in my life, but never encountered the quality of individuals that I have here at Earth Fare. My managers, peers, and co-workers are a great bunch of people who truly care about others and what they do.

The discounts and savings in the store aren't bad either. I don't know of another grocer who offers 20% off to its employees.

ConsThe biggest challenge is figuring out where, or what exactly the goals are for the company. We constantly shift priority from project to project and this is a bit confusing, but to be expected with a company growing this fast.

Could be so great, but not quite...

Community Relations Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsCo-workers are generally like-minded and fun to be around. The discount is great (20%). Its nice to be surrounded by healthy people and healthy food.

ConsManagement, especially at the corporate level. Most don't actually understand what working in a grocery store is like and try out their random ideas like the stores are some kind of science experiment. Turn-over is quite high because the pay isn't great and employees aren't treated with much respect.

Welcoming environment for a band of misfits looking for a community.

Department Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe number one pro is fellow team mates. Good benefits, which are offered to life partner and also some benefits for part time workers. A family like environment, with potential for promotion.

ConsThe number one con, that is also a pro, is the family like environment, which often causes management to play favorites. Also, quite difficult goals to meet, often with less than adequate resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure everyone has the tools they need to be successful.

Worked for Earth Fare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Earth Fare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Earth Fare CEO Jack Murphy. All 101 reviews posted anonymously by Earth Fare employees.