Earth Fare Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
2.4

Earth Fare President and CEO Jack Murphy
Jack Murphy

Pros
  • The company does offer an employee discount and decent benefits (in 15 reviews)

• 20% discount is nice even thought I still can't afford to shop there on my salary (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Half of the home office is an "Assistant Director" of a made up title (in 13 reviews)

• And then feeling like you'll never be supported by upper management is awful (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Position offered flexibility, but little room for growth.

Current Employee - Community Relations Manager
    Current Employee - Community Relations Manager

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounts on groceries, co-workers, great food.

Cons

Work weekends and nights, training, work/life balance

Always keep the little people in mind when making decisions.

It was a job...

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time for more than a year

Pros

benefits, discounts, promotions, office culture,

Cons

retail hours are not suited for single parents

Love the people, discount and food philosophy- not the management.

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time for more than a year

Pros

You do have access to better food than you would at most food service jobs. The 20% discount is nice if you're a savvy shopper. The people are pretty great, we attract a generally diverse and interesting crowd.

Cons

The management is top-down. Corporate rides the store level managers so relentlessly that they are forced to put unreasonable expectations on a minimum wage work force. High performers are led on with promises of raises and bonuses but do not follow through. They exploit hard working individuals, give minimal hours to full time employees and the hours are constantly cut. "Team Members" are expected to have a high level of knowledge of nutrition and policy but are not compensated as high-end retail sales people.

As a customer I do not appreciate broken promises. They assured customers there would be no 'app-sclusive' sales available only for smart phone users, but only 6 months after the app launch they broke that promise. 'Real low' deals were supposed to be permanent price drops, but not all drops have stayed. Most health conscious customers are put off by the large amount of canola oil and mayonnaise used in the deli.

Corporate needs to spend more time listening to store level concerns. They need to realize that the lower employee moral, the less likely your employees are to please the wealthy clientele which they rely on.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No Values! - Corporate Office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fletcher, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fletcher, NC

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is comparable, management is generally flexible with scheduling

Cons

Upper management turns their head to personal activities that go on between VPs and their employees. Obvious behavior between individuals that is not workplace appropriate but it seems to be accepted because of the VPs position. Others are unfairly treated because Earth Fare allows this behavior. Where is it acceptable for a VP to have a relationship with one of their employees? I thought Earth Fare was proud of their values? I was proud to be a part of this company until I have witnessed this behavior over the past 9 months. It has been brought the attention of HR with no recourse. How can we allow a VP to represent Earth Fare and to make such big decisions on behalf of the company when it is clear they can't even keep their personal life out of work. Doesn't the fact that the VP and their subordinate being in a relationship together affect the ability to do one's job and doesn't it reflect a poor example to all others inside and outside of the company? This is completely unacceptable. Those are not the people who should be the face of Earth Fare!!

Pay attention and take action on these activities. Your employees take pride in the values Earth Fare stands for and by allowing even one person to behave in this manner and to have personal relationships with their subordinates is insane. It's distracting, it's unfair, and your lack of attention and repremand for this type of behavior is unacceptable. Stop trying to please the VPs and stand up for all the rest of us!

Real good food...Real bad management

Current Employee - Produce Manager
    Current Employee - Produce Manager

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers and customers, good benefits...employee discounts, health insurance, 401K

Cons

Low pay, low employee morale. More concern about unrealistic shrink targets. Not enough hours given to run departments. Hiring mostly part time

Stick to your mission statement and vision

A good job for a collage student.

Current Employee - Produce  in  Rock Hill, SC
    Current Employee - Produce in Rock Hill, SC

I have been working at Earth Fare part-time

Pros

Decent starting pay and everyone is pretty warm and opening including the customers and I have found that's pretty rare for retail.

Cons

A lot of behind the scenes drama with coworkers and the inability to have a consistent schedule (they will work with your school schedule)

Food Service Manager

Former Employee - Food Service Manager  in  Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Food Service Manager in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Earth Fare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay, great company, great philosophy, takes care of their employees, good benefits, great management staff, they support the community, they support healthy living.

Cons

Nothing bad to say. I can only recall good things. If was pushed I might say that staff below management co u of be paid more and that you get a 3 percent raise annually not including promotions.

Keep on the good work.

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Earth Fare full-time for more than a year

Pros

20% discount off items in the store and the ability to get promoted within.

Cons

Management isn't always on your side when needed.

The Worst Company I have Ever Worked For

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent benefits for the select few who are granted full-time status. I met a few good people there, but most of them were low on the totem pole.

Cons

I was in management with Earth Fare for a couple of years, moving from department manager to assistant store manager in a couple of different stores. Never before have I seen a corporate office less compassionate or interested in the well being of the employees beneath them. No matter how good one of my staff was, I was only permitted to give them a maximum 3 percent yearly raise. Seeing how the company starts off at rock bottom pay as low as minimum wage, someone making 7.50 an hour would have to bust their butts for 3 years just to reach 8.18 an hour. The company also insisted that I hire only part time workers so they did not have to offer any benefits to them. I was supposed to max them out on hours for a few weeks at a time without having too many in a row so to avoid legal prosecution.

The company also does not practice what it preaches. They have a bogus "declaration" on their walls stating all of their values, none of which are upheld in any manner. BEWARE OF ANY COMPANY THAT HAS A CREED. IF THEY'RE HAMMERING A MESSAGE INTO YOUR HEAD IT IS ALWAYS A BIG, FAT LIE. A COMPANY THAT CARES SHOWS IT, THEY DON'T HAVE TO DECLARE IT.

The say they make fresh, natural food. It comes frozen in bags to the food service department. They say their produce is clean and natural, and yet the organic produce and conventional they sell are stacked side by side, exposing the organics to contamination. They boast that they feed turkey to starving families on Thanksgiving, but it is the customers who fund this through donations. the have recycling bins in the front lobby, but none out back, just one compactor- it all goes in the trash, it's just a big, fat eco-lie. This is just a glimpse of their foul trickery.

I have seen cruelty and sexual harassment go unpunished. I have seen bullying customers berate and abuse the staff and watched in horror as management refused to stand up for their employees because they wanted to get all the dollars they could now that Whole Foods had come to town and was crushing them in every way. I have watched snooty regional nitwits march through the isles and criticize the hard work of their staff after giving them absolutely nothing to work with. I have suffered their unreasonable shrink goals after their enormous holiday plus-outs that went belly up. I have endured the rage of customers who arrived for sale items the home office ran out of stock on. I have watched them price times at up to 70% retail mark-up.

Once I entered store management, I was salaried, and was shocked to be told that I had to work a minima of 50 hours a week, regardless of wether or not it was really called for. The store could b running smooth and all my work could be done, but still I had to stay there and just "observe". Not that I ever had to report the observations. It was just pointless slavery that kept me away from my family. Worst of all, the company abandoned me when I fell seriously ill and requested time off.

If you are considering employment with these greedy maggots, I would like to advise you to repeatedly punch yourself in the head to try and smack some sense into your skull. Life is too short to suffer at the hands of rich frauds and blathering ninnies. You'll never get ahead. You'll never be paid what you're worth. You'll never be cared about or stood up for in tough times. Retail is already a slow death. It rots your self-worth and leads you to drink away your hopelessness. Stay out of it if you can, but go anywhere before you go to the misery machine that is Earth Fare, Inc. It's nothing but a Walmart dressed up in a tie-dye t-shirt, a fake farmer's market for the rich and the gullible, a machine oiled by your blood, sweat and tears.

Trying hiring a decent human being in your home office. How do you people sleep at night?

RUN DONT WALK FULL OF LIES

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Earth Fare

Pros

Coworkers are great we work together through all the crap management will put you through.

Cons

Where do I even began? Management is terrible. Verbally abusive. HR doesn't do anything about it they don't care. Manager will wait and post schedule on Sunday and will schedule you to work days you can't and expect you to find someone to cover. Cutting hours so drastically everyone is expected to do the job of three people alone. Having to work your breaks due to short staffing. Not having anything in stock and customers end up getting really upset. Fresh food.... Hmmm food coming from a bag more like it. Earth fare is going down hill fast. Not only is the store 40% higher than other retailers in the business the pay is horrible. Who can live off of 9 dollars an hr? No praise for working above and beyond. Go anywhere else the turnover is crazy. I will not be surprised if this company tanks. I give them another 5 years.

Start over. Pay your employees a living wage and staff enough people and business will increase. Start caring about the people who work with the customers who make the money for the store.

Worked for Earth Fare? Contribute to the Community!