Earth Fare

Updated November 5, 2014
2.4

Earth Fare President and CEO Jack Murphy
Jack Murphy

Pros
  • 20% discount is nice even thought I still can't afford to shop there on my salary (in 17 reviews)

• The company does offer an employee discount and decent benefits (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Half of the home office is an "Assistant Director" of a made up title (in 16 reviews)

• And then feeling like you'll never be supported by upper management is awful (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Food Service Manager

Former Employee - Food Service Manager in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Food Service Manager in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Earth Fare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, great company, great philosophy, takes care of their employees, good benefits, great management staff, they support the community, they support healthy living.

Cons

Nothing bad to say. I can only recall good things. If was pushed I might say that staff below management co u of be paid more and that you get a 3 percent raise annually not including promotions.

Keep on the good work.

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Cashier in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Earth Fare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

20% discount off items in the store and the ability to get promoted within.

Cons

Management isn't always on your side when needed.

Real good food...Real bad management

Current Employee - Produce Manager
    Current Employee - Produce Manager

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers and customers, good benefits...employee discounts, health insurance, 401K

Cons

Low pay, low employee morale. More concern about unrealistic shrink targets. Not enough hours given to run departments. Hiring mostly part time

Stick to your mission statement and vision

No Values! - Corporate Office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fletcher, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fletcher, NC

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is comparable, management is generally flexible with scheduling

Cons

Upper management turns their head to personal activities that go on between VPs and their employees. Obvious behavior between individuals that is not workplace appropriate but it seems to be accepted because of the VPs position. Others are unfairly treated because Earth Fare allows this behavior. Where is it acceptable for a VP to have a relationship with one of their employees? I thought Earth Fare was proud of their values? I was proud to be a part of this company until I have witnessed this behavior over the past 9 months. It has been brought the attention of HR with no recourse. How can we allow a VP to represent Earth Fare and to make such big decisions on behalf of the company when it is clear they can't even keep their personal life out of work. Doesn't the fact that the VP and their subordinate being in a relationship together affect the ability to do one's job and doesn't it reflect a poor example to all others inside and outside of the company? This is completely unacceptable. Those are not the people who should be the face of Earth Fare!!

Pay attention and take action on these activities. Your employees take pride in the values Earth Fare stands for and by allowing even one person to behave in this manner and to have personal relationships with their subordinates is insane. It's distracting, it's unfair, and your lack of attention and repremand for this type of behavior is unacceptable. Stop trying to please the VPs and stand up for all the rest of us!

RUN DONT WALK FULL OF LIES

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Earth Fare

Pros

Coworkers are great we work together through all the crap management will put you through.

Cons

Where do I even began? Management is terrible. Verbally abusive. HR doesn't do anything about it they don't care. Manager will wait and post schedule on Sunday and will schedule you to work days you can't and expect you to find someone to cover. Cutting hours so drastically everyone is expected to do the job of three people alone. Having to work your breaks due to short staffing. Not having anything in stock and customers end up getting really upset. Fresh food.... Hmmm food coming from a bag more like it. Earth fare is going down hill fast. Not only is the store 40% higher than other retailers in the business the pay is horrible. Who can live off of 9 dollars an hr? No praise for working above and beyond. Go anywhere else the turnover is crazy. I will not be surprised if this company tanks. I give them another 5 years.

Start over. Pay your employees a living wage and staff enough people and business will increase. Start caring about the people who work with the customers who make the money for the store.

I love it!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time

Pros

WE all get along. And getting to learn new things.

Cons

Standing on your feet ...

Keep up with the good work.

Headed in the right direction

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time

Pros

Great people work there. The people you see on a daily basis are awesome. The company is definitely headed in a right direction as of now. I think Earth Fare has a bright future.

Cons

Management is pretty awful. The upper management goes about everything in the wrong manner. Home office is awful to work with, especially when you really want a response about something that is very important.

Great changes have been made and it's looking brighter. They need to stick to the same direction they have recently started.

Unprofessional store manager

Current Employee - Cashier in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Earth Fare part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The products, the food philosophy, hard working team members, discount, dress code, juice bar, and customers.

Cons

Our store manager is always hitting on us and nobody will do anything about it.

Replace the store manager with someone who isn't a creeper.

Not a place for anyone who enjoys the fruits of contributing within the workplace.

Current Employee - Deli in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Deli in Athens, GA

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The community of employees is built up as a network within which you have an opportunity to meet everyone and grow a particular relationship with each one, individually and as groups. The company as a whole seems to have been built with good intent as far as their code of ethics and many of the practices I witness within the operation, first-hand. They are also not at all guilty of judgement of lifestyle, and seem to therefore foster a community hot-spot, with employees and regulars who are a live example of a corporately established farmer's market/cafe.

Cons

Aside of Walm. or few other service-oriented businesses have I felt less appreciated or compensated for work, both skills, education, and a well-build ethic, while earning less than 8.80 in 2014. I have worked for Earth Fare for over a year now and have never seen a raise, but only been evaded when I have asked for one. I have been trained to run, full-time, my department, as well as to fill in for other departments. I train new-hires with less experience than myself to make at least a dollar more than myself, and other employees receive compensation for taking-on additional tasks for the business, whereas I have never received any such equal such compensations. I am formally rebuked for the few minor infractions I may have incurred in my time there, insinuating a higher standard of my position, whereas I work with people whose priorities lie in drinking on the job, or having frequent bodily illnesses preventing them from showing up either on-time or not at all, and these behaviors and others' are somehow unmanageable by our direct management system.

The Athens, GA location is run via a combination of the Departmental and Functional Organizational Structures, the only problem I am experiencing directly being their Functional Structure. I am unable to say directly if there is at this time a personal dispute between myself and any member of management, though I have no quarrels. I have in the past on several occasions felt that there was disagreement among the levels of management as to whether I should be further employed, and at this time I feel that it has been agreed that I not be rewarded for any work I do for which equal employees would be rewarded, that I make as minimal wage as anyone else in my position, regardless of my education or further experience.
    My advice to management would be to operate their business in a way more in alignment with their companies code of ethics and not their own. Furthermore, monitoring of this from higher in the company may not be a bad idea.
     Finally, and perhaps most importantly, a more formalized training program, perhaps at least to ensure more of a team-oriented work atmosphere with "spec:" ways of completing tasks would go a long way. This, as well as some OSHA materials for purposes of educating the new employees of health and safety in a kitchen environment. There currently are no training sessions of any sort.

The products are great, but the company has taken a drastic turn for the worst since the corporate buyout.

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people working here are very nice, the discount of 20% comes in real handy, and there is a lot of internal promotion opportunities if you're okay with moving.

Cons

The pay is sub-par, and raises are practically nothing. The hours are grueling as there's always mountains to do, and management expects you to run yourself ragged day in and day out. Management does not know how to be constructive, and seems to be a bunch of psychopaths that steal credit and manipulate employees to get their way.

Try showing how much you appreciate people's hard work by rewarding them with more than a pat on the back. Kind words don't pay bills!

Earth Fare Photos