Earth Fare Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

2.5

Earth Fare President and CEO Jack Murphy
Jack Murphy

Pros
  • The company does offer an employee discount and decent benefits (in 15 reviews)

• 20% discount is nice even thought I still can't afford to shop there on my salary (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Half of the home office is an "Assistant Director" of a made up title (in 13 reviews)

• And then feeling like you'll never be supported by upper management is awful (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Confused company

Current Employee - Grocery Manager
    Current Employee - Grocery Manager

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The staff goes through phases, but at times it seems like you are surrounded by people happy to be there and willing to help you out regardless of your level of authority or what department you are in. If you are a health conscious and motivated person, this place can be a very encouraging environment. Also, if you like to party, you will find friends at Earth Fares across the nation.

Cons

This company was once trying to be a sustainable grocery store that provided healthy food in an environmentally responsible way and in a socially responsible way. Now they are simply trying to expand. expand their company by opening lots and lots of new stores, and expand their customer basis by coming up with new marketing programs constantly, and usually just letting the old programs dwindle into nothingness. The home office is completely disconnected and indifferent to store level operations. they are all up in your business if you are a department manager. Simultaneously they will often make huge mistakes with out apology. also, they will neglect your inquiries completely at times. the pay is terrible considering the amount of work and responsibility required of you as an employee on all levels from part time clerks to department managers.

Pay everyone more, lower your prices, stop constantly launching new programs.

Great ambience and staff, but Earth Fare is short sighted and not genuinely passionate about health or the planet.

Former Employee - Wellness Clerk
    Former Employee - Wellness Clerk

I worked at Earth Fare part-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved the fact that most of the staff really care about clean food and the environment. They were a passionate, friendly bunch of folks.

Cons

The corporate attitude of cynicism trickles down to store and department management and frustrates the employees who have real passion. Management is mostly going through the motions because corporate doesn't reward them for actually caring - instead I think they suck the life out of them over time.

Realize that paying people well works - look at Costco's model! Respecting, asking for and focusing on your managers' and staff's passion and input makes the company come alive from the store level. Don't squelch people's passion for the healthy lifestyle by telling them their idealism is unwanted and doesn't matter. The reason they work here could be your greatest strength as a company. Putting fast short term growth as the top priority leads to emptiness and misery for all involved.Those who work there all know you're only paying lip service to the stated values of the company. It's bad business to have your whole staff rolling their eyes because what you claim to stand for stops at the surface.

overworked, underpaid and never appreciated

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Charleston, SC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time for more than a year

Pros

As everyone says, you get a discount on mostly overpriced food (especially in the deli and hot bar). I met some amazing people at earth fare.

Cons

Where to start?
    Since the buy out in 2012, this company has lost its way - less quality food esp. in the hot bar and deli, so many coupons and promotions the cashiers have no chance, corporate office desperately out of touch with store operations, very low pay with sad 3% max raises annually and loss of yearly bonuses.
    But wait, there's more!
    Intense focus on comp sales and numbers game yet depts have less labor hours and provide very little training to new employees. Store management is constantly scrambling to help out understaffed depts and if there is a coupon happening (often in the meat dept), they will ask literally anyone to work the counter, including dishwashers, cashiers, etc. You must staff properly to deliver excellent customer service!
    Finally...
    Every month there is another corny marketing plan with t-shirts and banners and 6 months later they will have completely abandoned the program. They are throwing ideas at the wall and seeing what will stick - the answer is generally nothing.

This could go on and on, but hopefully you get the idea.

Honestly, I believe it is too late. Former CEO stood for principles of healthy food with clean ingredients - new team is numbers crazy with little regard for low level employees and their lives. Increase pay, improve benefits package, staff all depts properly, train employees to better serve customers, get home office in the stores to see what it's really like. Again, this could go on and on.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Be truthful about who you are and what you are about

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount and decent benefit package for full time

Cons

They are not truthful with applicants. The hiring process and interviews make you believe that you will be a part of something great. Once you are in you will realize that you are just part of a very unorganized group of leaders (corporate and store level) that truly dont care about the mission statement. Rather, slashing hours and overworking employees.

Be truthful with applicants so they know what they are getting into--just a prettier big box grocery store.

Communication...nope. High standards for department heads...nope

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount. Awesome coworkers. Easy going. Fun atmosphere..................... .... ... .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ... ... ... ...

Cons

There is little communication from managers. Passive aggressive comments about your work but they won't tell you what you are doing wrong. Any complaints about managers aren't taken seriously. Only 2 hard working department heads in the store, others sit around and barely work....bad precedent set by managers.

Talk to your employees, communicate!! Take what you're employees are saying seriously. Set a good precedent for your employees or else they are going to follow your lead.

you can do better

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

i have a flexible schedule

Cons

there is no room for growth

Great part-time job but ultimately disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Earth Fare part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, great coworkers, friendly enviornment, 20% discount, friendly customers

Cons

Lots of hours(could be good and bad) some rules seemed kind of petty, favoritism

Corporate doesn't care about the small people working in the stores. Was treated poorly by the HR and head office. Advice to management: stick up to the home office for your employees and do your research before promoting from within

Do not work for this company

Former Employee - Specialty Manager  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Specialty Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Earth Fare full-time for more than a year

Pros

The other folks you'll work with at the stores are mighty fine. 20% has it's advantages and meeting new customers via heavy doese of interaction are swell.

Cons

Terrible management, empty lip service of their corporate mission blather and the upkeep of equipment and general cleanliness of the stores behind the curtain is abysmal.

I'll cite just one example of bad management. Today, I resigned from a Dept. Mgr. position at the EarthFare that is slated to open on July 16th in Greenwood, IN where I was relocating my family. Last week they held a local job fair in south Indy and although HR had allegedly screened the viable candidates, NO ONE showed up for their scheduled interviews for my department where I was seeking 3 hires. After the first day of the No-shows, I was asked by the Store Manager to leave the Job Fair and trawl the local competition Grocery Stores for potential candidates who were working behind the counters and lure them to come apply at the nearly fictional Job Fair. It was an embarrassing, insulting and bizarre request that yielded nothing but my further scorn for the company I was working for. I promptly followed up some applications at some local stores in Cleveland where I live and. as of yesterday, have successfully landed a gig at the premier Grocery chain, (Heinens) in the area. The end.

A lot of promises

Former Employee - Produce Clerk  in  Fairview Park, OH
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Fairview Park, OH

I worked at Earth Fare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Relaxed Dress Code, Nice Discount, you'll work with great people who believe in the company (until they don't).

Cons

I've heard it's changed since I worked there, but anyone in management workd 50-60 hours a week, no exceptions. this can put a lot of stress on your department head and make working an unpleasant experience.

Be kinder to your department heads and they'll be kinder to your employees, who will work harder for you in the long run.

Could be so great, but not quite...

Former Employee - Community Relations Coordinator
    Former Employee - Community Relations Coordinator

I worked at Earth Fare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers are generally like-minded and fun to be around. The discount is great (20%). Its nice to be surrounded by healthy people and healthy food.

Cons

Management, especially at the corporate level. Most don't actually understand what working in a grocery store is like and try out their random ideas like the stores are some kind of science experiment. Turn-over is quite high because the pay isn't great and employees aren't treated with much respect.

Worked for Earth Fare? Contribute to the Community!