Earth Fare Reviews

143 reviews filtered by

The Worst Company I have Ever Worked For

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits for the select few who are granted full-time status. I met a few good people there, but most of them were low on the totem pole.

Cons

I was in management with Earth Fare for a couple of years, moving from department manager to assistant store manager in a couple of different stores. Never before have I seen a corporate office less compassionate or interested in the well being of the employees beneath them. No matter how good one of my staff was, I was only permitted to give them a maximum 3 percent yearly raise. Seeing how the company starts off at rock bottom pay as low as minimum wage, someone making 7.50 an hour would have to bust their butts for 3 years just to reach 8.18 an hour. The company also insisted that I hire only part time workers so they did not have to offer any benefits to them. I was supposed to max them out on hours for a few weeks at a time without having too many in a row so to avoid legal prosecution.

The company also does not practice what it preaches. They have a bogus "declaration" on their walls stating all of their values, none of which are upheld in any manner. BEWARE OF ANY COMPANY THAT HAS A CREED. IF THEY'RE HAMMERING A MESSAGE INTO YOUR HEAD IT IS ALWAYS A BIG, FAT LIE. A COMPANY THAT CARES SHOWS IT, THEY DON'T HAVE TO DECLARE IT.

The say they make fresh, natural food. It comes frozen in bags to the food service department. They say their produce is clean and natural, and yet the organic produce and conventional they sell are stacked side by side, exposing the organics to contamination. They boast that they feed turkey to starving families on Thanksgiving, but it is the customers who fund this through donations. the have recycling bins in the front lobby, but none out back, just one compactor- it all goes in the trash, it's just a big, fat eco-lie. This is just a glimpse of their foul trickery.

I have seen cruelty and sexual harassment go unpunished. I have seen bullying customers berate and abuse the staff and watched in horror as management refused to stand up for their employees because they wanted to get all the dollars they could now that Whole Foods had come to town and was crushing them in every way. I have watched snooty regional nitwits march through the isles and criticize the hard work of their staff after giving them absolutely nothing to work with. I have suffered their unreasonable shrink goals after their enormous holiday plus-outs that went belly up. I have endured the rage of customers who arrived for sale items the home office ran out of stock on. I have watched them price times at up to 70% retail mark-up.

Once I entered store management, I was salaried, and was shocked to be told that I had to work a minima of 50 hours a week, regardless of wether or not it was really called for. The store could b running smooth and all my work could be done, but still I had to stay there and just "observe". Not that I ever had to report the observations. It was just pointless slavery that kept me away from my family. Worst of all, the company abandoned me when I fell seriously ill and requested time off.

If you are considering employment with these greedy maggots, I would like to advise you to repeatedly punch yourself in the head to try and smack some sense into your skull. Life is too short to suffer at the hands of rich frauds and blathering ninnies. You'll never get ahead. You'll never be paid what you're worth. You'll never be cared about or stood up for in tough times. Retail is already a slow death. It rots your self-worth and leads you to drink away your hopelessness. Stay out of it if you can, but go anywhere before you go to the misery machine that is Earth Fare, Inc. It's nothing but a Walmart dressed up in a tie-dye t-shirt, a fake farmer's market for the rich and the gullible, a machine oiled by your blood, sweat and tears.

Trying hiring a decent human being in your home office. How do you people sleep at night?

2. A good job for a collage student.

Current Employee - Produce in Rock Hill, SC
    Current Employee - Produce in Rock Hill, SC

I have been working at Earth Fare part-time

Pros

Decent starting pay and everyone is pretty warm and opening including the customers and I have found that's pretty rare for retail.

Cons

A lot of behind the scenes drama with coworkers and the inability to have a consistent schedule (they will work with your school schedule)

3. Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Cashier in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Earth Fare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

20% discount off items in the store and the ability to get promoted within.

Cons

Management isn't always on your side when needed.

RUN DONT WALK FULL OF LIES

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Earth Fare

Pros

Coworkers are great we work together through all the crap management will put you through.

Cons

Where do I even began? Management is terrible. Verbally abusive. HR doesn't do anything about it they don't care. Manager will wait and post schedule on Sunday and will schedule you to work days you can't and expect you to find someone to cover. Cutting hours so drastically everyone is expected to do the job of three people alone. Having to work your breaks due to short staffing. Not having anything in stock and customers end up getting really upset. Fresh food.... Hmmm food coming from a bag more like it. Earth fare is going down hill fast. Not only is the store 40% higher than other retailers in the business the pay is horrible. Who can live off of 9 dollars an hr? No praise for working above and beyond. Go anywhere else the turnover is crazy. I will not be surprised if this company tanks. I give them another 5 years.

Start over. Pay your employees a living wage and staff enough people and business will increase. Start caring about the people who work with the customers who make the money for the store.

Not a place for anyone who enjoys the fruits of contributing within the workplace.

Current Employee - Deli in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Deli in Athens, GA

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The community of employees is built up as a network within which you have an opportunity to meet everyone and grow a particular relationship with each one, individually and as groups. The company as a whole seems to have been built with good intent as far as their code of ethics and many of the practices I witness within the operation, first-hand. They are also not at all guilty of judgement of lifestyle, and seem to therefore foster a community hot-spot, with employees and regulars who are a live example of a corporately established farmer's market/cafe.

Cons

Aside of Walm. or few other service-oriented businesses have I felt less appreciated or compensated for work, both skills, education, and a well-build ethic, while earning less than 8.80 in 2014. I have worked for Earth Fare for over a year now and have never seen a raise, but only been evaded when I have asked for one. I have been trained to run, full-time, my department, as well as to fill in for other departments. I train new-hires with less experience than myself to make at least a dollar more than myself, and other employees receive compensation for taking-on additional tasks for the business, whereas I have never received any such equal such compensations. I am formally rebuked for the few minor infractions I may have incurred in my time there, insinuating a higher standard of my position, whereas I work with people whose priorities lie in drinking on the job, or having frequent bodily illnesses preventing them from showing up either on-time or not at all, and these behaviors and others' are somehow unmanageable by our direct management system.

The Athens, GA location is run via a combination of the Departmental and Functional Organizational Structures, the only problem I am experiencing directly being their Functional Structure. I am unable to say directly if there is at this time a personal dispute between myself and any member of management, though I have no quarrels. I have in the past on several occasions felt that there was disagreement among the levels of management as to whether I should be further employed, and at this time I feel that it has been agreed that I not be rewarded for any work I do for which equal employees would be rewarded, that I make as minimal wage as anyone else in my position, regardless of my education or further experience.
    My advice to management would be to operate their business in a way more in alignment with their companies code of ethics and not their own. Furthermore, monitoring of this from higher in the company may not be a bad idea.
     Finally, and perhaps most importantly, a more formalized training program, perhaps at least to ensure more of a team-oriented work atmosphere with "spec:" ways of completing tasks would go a long way. This, as well as some OSHA materials for purposes of educating the new employees of health and safety in a kitchen environment. There currently are no training sessions of any sort.

7. I love it!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time

Pros

WE all get along. And getting to learn new things.

Cons

Standing on your feet ...

Keep up with the good work.

8. Headed in the right direction

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time

Pros

Great people work there. The people you see on a daily basis are awesome. The company is definitely headed in a right direction as of now. I think Earth Fare has a bright future.

Cons

Management is pretty awful. The upper management goes about everything in the wrong manner. Home office is awful to work with, especially when you really want a response about something that is very important.

Great changes have been made and it's looking brighter. They need to stick to the same direction they have recently started.

Unprofessional store manager

Current Employee - Cashier in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Earth Fare part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The products, the food philosophy, hard working team members, discount, dress code, juice bar, and customers.

Cons

Our store manager is always hitting on us and nobody will do anything about it.

Replace the store manager with someone who isn't a creeper.

The products are great, but the company has taken a drastic turn for the worst since the corporate buyout.

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people working here are very nice, the discount of 20% comes in real handy, and there is a lot of internal promotion opportunities if you're okay with moving.

Cons

The pay is sub-par, and raises are practically nothing. The hours are grueling as there's always mountains to do, and management expects you to run yourself ragged day in and day out. Management does not know how to be constructive, and seems to be a bunch of psychopaths that steal credit and manipulate employees to get their way.

Try showing how much you appreciate people's hard work by rewarding them with more than a pat on the back. Kind words don't pay bills!

Great ambience and staff, but Earth Fare is short sighted and not genuinely passionate about health or the planet.

Former Employee - Wellness Clerk
    Former Employee - Wellness Clerk

I worked at Earth Fare part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved the fact that most of the staff really care about clean food and the environment. They were a passionate, friendly bunch of folks.

Cons

The corporate attitude of cynicism trickles down to store and department management and frustrates the employees who have real passion. Management is mostly going through the motions because corporate doesn't reward them for actually caring - instead I think they suck the life out of them over time.

Realize that paying people well works - look at Costco's model! Respecting, asking for and focusing on your managers' and staff's passion and input makes the company come alive from the store level. Don't squelch people's passion for the healthy lifestyle by telling them their idealism is unwanted and doesn't matter. The reason they work here could be your greatest strength as a company. Putting fast short term growth as the top priority leads to emptiness and misery for all involved.Those who work there all know you're only paying lip service to the stated values of the company. It's bad business to have your whole staff rolling their eyes because what you claim to stand for stops at the surface.

Earth Fare Photos