Earth Resources Technology, Inc.

www.ertcorp.com

Earth Resources Technology, Inc. Reviews

Updated Jun 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jing LI Yang

Competitive Marketplace

Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsPretty good work/life balance allowed for flex schedules. On-site management tries to tend to employee needs, but it seems as if he is overworked thus can not attend to minor issues.

ConsSalary is not competitive and raises are minimal despite my contract being in Silicon Valley. Health care options are ok and expensive for families. No opportunity for advancement since management is hired directly.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Terrible

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsThe company/managers barely communicated with me one on one for most part of my employment and considering my experience when they finally did, that was a good thing.

ConsEthnicity based company whose manager blatantly favors and sneaks unprofessionally with her subordinates. With the manager and the CEO's petty and non existing leadership , their approach for dealing with work place conflict with the customer is, at best, to watch on the sideline and side with an awful, bully customer managers when the opportunity present itself

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to be less vicious and embrace diversity.

Just OK

Scientist (Current Employee)

Prosthe company's growing. typical government contractor. not the worst company to work for, but definitely not the best.

Conscan't really say that they care about or take care of their employees. all they really care is to get more contract. IMHO, cheap on salary and benefit's getting lousy

Advice to Senior Managementcare for your employees and take care of your employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible company. You can be treated better as a McDonald's fry cook or assembling electronics at a factory in Asia.

Pros-lunch break
    -leaving at the end of the day.
    -the days when management presence is less, so that you don't feel suffocated or lorded over for once.

Cons-Awful compensation. To reference the review title, you can probably make more at McDonald's.
    -Management doesn't care, they will just replace you with someone else, even if that person is inexperienced and results in projects/budgets suffering.
    -Management doesn't have a clue how to treat people or manage projects.
    -Asked to work hours more than you are compensated for.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees as something other than an avenue to your potential bonus. Most below you don't get bonuses, which is something you could address. And just treating people better in general, instead of like cattle.

Cut-throat, profit-driven contractor cares nothing about employees

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsProbably they won't be around during the next contract bid period, if you can last that long.

Cons1.5 yrs after taking over govt contract (I'd been there 7 years) they gave me an 18% non-performance-related pay cut to make more $ off my position.

Profit is the bottom line. The message from management is, "If they don't like it, let the market do the talking." Seriously. Management said that on multiple occasions to supervisors.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are probably right that relying on a 20% turnover rate increases profit. And it does not matter to you if people leave and you replace them with unqualified replacements. Aren't you smart? Too bad about the projects which are affected, not to mention the people.

Kind of a joke

Staff Scientist II (Former Employee)

Pros- normally lots of work
    - great place to get networked with real companies
    - primarily hire from without

Cons- fair to poor pay
    - non-existant growth opportunities within the company
    - primarily do not hire from within

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating non-lifers like rented mules. The high turnover is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Responsibility for the companies failings is yours. It can't be subcontracted; you're the common denominator.

A body shop where the customer is always right and the employee is always wrong

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsPrimary contract is onsite work with NOAA. That ensures an 8 hour workday, a schedule that matches the government, and it's convenient to the metro and buses. Some of the work is very interesting and there are opportunities for lateral moves across projects if you want a change.

ConsThe company doesn't stand up for its employees even when the customer may be out of line or just plain wrong. Quick to fire. Despite the contract not being personal services the company allows meet and greets that equal interviews. Task orders are won or lost strictly on price and the company grows (and shrinks) by winning work from other companies and absorbing their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreating people fairly doesn't really take much more effort than ignoring them.

Pleasant company

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsThe HR department is very helpful. Good benefits.

ConsIf you work off-site, you will not feel connected to the people at HQ who you only see at the yearly Holiday party.

It's your typical minority contractor start-up

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsAs a woman- and minority-owned company, ERT is poised to receive minority set-asides for government work, so there's a constant flow of new business. They do they to do right by their employees, but the small size of the organization can hamper some of that.

ConsIt's best described as a "Mom and Pop" shop. When I was hired, I was informed they salary I asked for was at the maximum for my job function, and my salary has been flat the entire time I've been here. In addition, there's not much leverage for benefits, so there's one choice for health insurance, etc. Sometimes you get a day's pay as a bonus. Better than nothing, don't budget it for holiday shopping.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of allocating bonuses, etc. by salary percentage, be open to other ways of sharing the wealth like taking on the funding of flex benefit plans, making the payments a flat rate instead of percentage.

Small woman-owned company OK to work for, could use improvement

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsThey have contracts at cool government agencies. That means that for lunch, instead of sitting at your desk, or going out, you can take a brown bag lunch to, say, the NOAA science center and hear scientists lecturing on their field of expertise. Or go watch a slide show on excavating around the Titantic.

As a small company, you'd be in at the ground floor as they grow. I don't know what that means in terms of ERT employees but it worked out well for the folks ho worked at Microsoft back in the early 90s.

That's all I can come up with for now.

ConsThere's one choice for health insurance for most people, and it's not an HMO. It's not the best health insurance in the world, either. Particularly in terms of prescription coverage where you can end up paying $5000 annually just in deductibles for prescriptions. All the other benefits are pretty much standard for a company this size.

There aren't a lot of occasions where the whole company gathers. We had a picnic but it had little to recommend it in terms of giveaways and amenities (i.e. the food was standard cookout food, no crabs, and it was held in a county park, not a private picnic park or someplace with a pool). We don't get little freebies like mugs, lanyards, etc. and suffice to say if they balk at lanyards, good luck with getting a bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou say we're all in this together but the higher you are in Senior Management, the better the company likes you. How about stroking the egos of the rank and file by distributing any bonuses not by percentage (the rich get richer) but a flat rate for all employees? And most of your employees at a site identify more with whatever agency they're with than ERT. How about something that would make employees identify more with the company? We don't have the job security of the Feds we work alongside of, how about better money or benefits to make up for it?

Worked for Earth Resources Technology, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!