EarthLink Reviews

Reset
2.7
EarthLink President & CEO Joseph Eazor
Joseph Eazor

Pros
  • Progressive work/life balance with telecommute options (in 14 reviews)

• Good if you are looking for just a paycheck not a career , a lot of good people to learn from (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of upper management direction (in 13 reviews)

• Company seems to be headed towards bankruptcy and Senior Management is grasping at straws to stay afloat (in 11 reviews)

1. Product Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink (More than 5 years)

Pros

Actually Left the Firm in 2008. Good times, good friends, believed in the mission. Happy I worked there.

Cons

Unpleasant, impersonal, countless rounds of layoffs.

Account Director

Former Employee - Account Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink (More than a year)

Pros

Potential to be selling the right products at the right time. Has a great history as the outsider who can provide the right solution.

Cons

Dysfunctional corporate identity. More processes than ten companies should have. No clear direction and no real leadership.

Advice to Management

Go to annual targets. Have better middle management. When you teach a new knowledge let it be used before you decide to change it yet again.

3. EarthLink Transitions - Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Finance and Accounting Team in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Finance and Accounting Team in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Supportive Management. - Respectful Management. - Opportunities to work remotely when needed. - Relaxed work environment. - Work-Life balance is supported. - Atlanta HQ is at a great location(near Marta & easy commute) - Teamwork is part of core values and employees all over country tend to work well together.

Cons

- A bit top heavy

5. Good Leadership, Good Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Leadership cares about employees and treats people well

Cons

Some parts of the business are facing headwinds

6. Low tech for techies

Former Employee - Information Technology in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Good work-life balance, flexible hours/work-from-home Good pay & bonus (I had to choose a location, so I chose HQ, but in fact I worked for them in various parts of USA)

Cons

After being back on the market after Earthlink laid a bunch of us Engineering folks off after 10+ years, it became apparent that they've missed many boats and failed to implement many tools that are now industry standard. (e.g. agile, git, chef, jenkins). Instead they "hire" a small army of low-skill offshore outsourcers to accomplish whatever they can by sheer brute force, and thus never really improve.

Advice to Management

Focus on keeping your expert talent, and empower them to adopt new technologies. Don't lose your institutional knowledge.

7. Hosted Applications Tech

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Independent and work at your own pace

Cons

Convaluted processes, low pay for the position

Advice to Management

No process to advance

8. Unorganized and demeaning mess

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexibility to work remotely Great CMO, if he's still there Funny to see reactions to "I work at EarthLink", "you mean the old dial up company? They're still around?"

Cons

Favoritism towards certain segment of their workforce, specifically men Old Mindspringers also shown favoritism, even if they were clueless or useless They let go some very key players in the last 3 years that could've grown their business tremendously No future growth potential/career advancement unless you know someone

Advice to Management

Seek out more qualified mid-management and stop promoting undeserving personnel to VP level and above. Continue to offer the flexible work environment. recognize your key players that may not be in sales but help sales win the business.

Made my decision for me

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Money was good and I like solving puzzles. Lots of people were fun to work with. I could work from home.

Cons

I realized that all corporations are alike. They all follow the same ridiculous management fads. Everybody tries to please the guy (and usually it's a guy) at the top. The focus is upward while the customers, and the people who interface with them, are ignored. I actually heard a VP say that the company revenue in the hot new cloud space had been doubled that year because they purchased a company. So that meant revenue would double again the next year as well, and it would be such a great investment. I, who actually did some analysis and talked to people, am sitting there pondering the dozens of unintegrated systems from previously purchased companies that had salespeople and customers both screaming that they couldn't get anything done. And the failed projects to integrate those legacy systems. But Yeah! Buy more companies! And outsource the IT work! That's ALWAYS so successful and saves so much money. Don't pay for training for any current employees, that's a waste of resources. Things aren't working because of too much complexity? Install complicated, buggy software to track the defects! Anyway, this company helped me decide to get out of IT work for good.

Advice to Management

That's an oxymoron. Like management would take advice from anyone. Management already has all the answers, it's the stupid employees who just don't get it and want to do silly things like turn up services for customers on time and send them an accurate bill.

10. Great people... constantly evolving

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great people, many of whom who have been there since EarthLink's heyday - Flexible and progressive work environment (work remotely, hoteling)

Cons

- Future success is unclear as company tries to establish itself in competitive Business services market. - Change is the norm on the declining Internet Access side of the business. Could be a pro or con depending on how well you can adapt.

Advice to Management

Continue open, consistent communication to workforce.

Crash and burn

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very nice people and very flexible about working from home

Cons

This company is falling apart. They keep laying off people. It feels like they keep putting band-aids on the problems. They are losing customers fast.

Advice to Management

Take a deep breath and slow down. You can't make informed decisions when you rush through decisions.

RSS Feed </> Embed