EarthLink Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
2.7

EarthLink President & CEO Joseph Eazor
Joseph Eazor

Pros
  • I've also found the culture and management to be very supportive of work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Good if you are looking for just a paycheck not a career , a lot of good people to learn from (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management runs with some ideas without realizing how they affect the employees (in 12 reviews)

• Company seems to be headed towards bankruptcy and Senior Management is grasping at straws to stay afloat (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work and self motivated to improve your knowledge

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment for smart employees, rewards to hard work, good culture & respect to all employees. Management concentrate more on growth, unnecessary cost cuttings and more. excellent customer support.

Cons

Nothing more specific. There is no sponsorship for high studies even though company values degree holders. There is no competitive annual pay raise & very less hiring process. This shows inability to grow in faster pace.

Aim for best customer service, educate or give more training to all employees, save money and show you are the best in market!

Once a great place to work and be innovative

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Super relaxed work enviornment, probably to the extreme. Employees can wear anything - shorts, sandles, jeans - you name it you can wear it. The culture promotes individuality and risk taking so you will find people from all types of backgrounds. The uniqueness of the individual employees was a big reason for their success back in the early 90's. Policies such as 3 week sabbatical after 5 years employment and their geneours profit sharing and additional bonus package kept employees engaged and loyal.

Cons

Sometimes the lack of structure and risk taking lead to big mistakes. Employees were definitely rewarded for their risk taking, but not sure if they were equally held accountable for their bad decisions. After the company slept through the advent of high speed internet and voice (others like AT&T pounced), there were not many opportunities for advancement and job growth was all but non-existent.

Continue to look for a merger/buyer. There are still signs of the old EarthLink Culture, but just not sure how long the company can hold on with its limited product offerings. Or be like Apple and pay big for the next genious to deliver a groundbreaking product. It only takes one like the iPhone to launch you into a new era.

Network Vendor Manager

I worked at EarthLink

Pros

Was a close family like atmosphere

Cons

With the loss of Garry the company lost direction.

Time to re-brand; competing against IBM requires a stronger value proposition.

This company has potential - hang in there

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great People - part of what keeps me here is the people I work with. Even when it's a little chaotic - we keep each other going. Everyone really is trying to do the "right things" to move us forward.

Cons

Old Thinking - part of what I think keeps holding us back is people who have been here too long and don't understand that for this company to evolve and grow, we have to constantly review how we currently do things and make necessary adjustments.

People in positions of management should be agents of change and the leadership positions underneath should mirror that thought process.

Great Opportunity for Change

Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Hands down the people are the greatest asset of the company, especially the longer the tenure. Those who have been there 7+ years have established a great working rapport with each other, and try to encourage newer employees to do the same. Your coworkers want you to feel like part of the family, and most have an open door to support your needs. The benefits are excellent and the company has always looked for opportunities to care for its employees.

Cons

After Garry's passing, a lot of life seemed to go out of the company. While a few of the innovations we tried to execute didn't pan out the way we hoped, we at least tried to reach for the sky and come up with new ideas. The more recent projects were designed to be stable, safe initiatives to benefit the bottom line. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, after all we still have shareholders we owe responsible work to, but everything seemed so vanilla and uninspired. New personnel that came in and had never worked with the founding team carry a haughty attitude that reflects a, "you're doing everything wrong," approach. The result deflated the creative ideas those of us left from the golden days pursued, and the idea of encouraging new creativity seemed discouraged. What's worse is that those in upper managment left from Garry's team seem burned out and just as equally uninspired to try something new. Work became a tedius labor.

I would hope that Joe Eazor might reach out to some of those tenured dreamers and find a way to make Earthlink a truly fun place to work again instead of just maintaining the staus quo. There are a lot of great people still there, just not a lot of energy behind the leadership.

Great Company

Current Employee - Senior Accountant
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy going work environment. The office attire was business casual, and a younger culture with very intelligent workforce.

Cons

Office Politics; the extended hours during month-end close.

Continue with current culture, minus the office politics

Company with a lot of potential

I worked at EarthLink

Pros

The environment here is very challenging and fast paced. Lots of bright, intelligent and creative people here with can-do attitudes. The geographic diversity of the company brings many different and insightful perspectives to the table.

Cons

Sometimes, depending on the situation, the geographic spread of the company can also be a hindrance to projects, with teams working in different time zones.

Tech Care Analyst

Former Employee - Tech Care Analyst (Help Desk) in Amherst, NY
    Former Employee - Tech Care Analyst (Help Desk) in Amherst, NY

I worked at EarthLink full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Supervisors to work with at the Amherst, NY EarthLink. They really try to motivate employees to improve their skills. They are true leaders. They don't boss anyone around. They LEAD.
    The director has really changed the place. He is a man of VISION. He really made an impact when he started working at the place. I know because i was there when the old director was around.
    -This position is a stepping stone for anyone who wants to experience working in a technical field.

Cons

-Under paid for such a technical position.
    -Too many frustrating calls sometimes. Then again that's part of the job.

Growing Pains

I have been working at EarthLink full-time

Pros

Focus on business with lots of opportunity for growth, if you're in the right department.

Cons

Constant restructuring due to growing pains and product alignments.

Company totally disorganized and without direction for future market penetrations and maintain existing accounts.

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at EarthLink full-time

Pros

Compensation and Benefits were decent.

Cons

Lack of organization. Lack of upper management direction.