EarthLink

Updated November 18, 2014
2.8

EarthLink President & CEO Joseph Eazor
Joseph Eazor

Pros
  • I've also found the culture and management to be very supportive of work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Good if you are looking for just a paycheck not a career , a lot of good people to learn from (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management runs with some ideas without realizing how they affect the employees (in 12 reviews)

• Company seems to be headed towards bankruptcy and Senior Management is grasping at straws to stay afloat (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved everything about the company, except being downsized.

I worked at EarthLink

Pros

Great people to work with and for. I was only employed for 5 months, before downsizing so the age old "last in first out" rings true!

Cons

They let go an extremely hard worker (me)

On the right track

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and PTO, culture of respect and great people. I have been here three years and have always been challenged and felt involved in the success of the company. I really like that the company is not afraid to make huge course corrections if its ultimately for the best.

Cons

LOTS of change and incredibly dynamic environment -- you have to be flexible and open to a bit of chaos if you want to be happy working here. Not everyone is.

Keep listening to front line employees - keep up the two way dialogue and act on recommendations from time to time. Make sure you are always living and modeling the values. Yes, your job is hard, and you are under a lot of pressure -- but the people below you work just as hard for less money. Ask yourself, "What have I personally done to help make this company great today?" Your people are watching.

Great company to start with, grow with, and build with!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at EarthLink full-time

Pros

Great salary! Great benefits! Ample work-life balance. Great culture and feedback is welcomed. Input and ability to change things are available if you voice it and suggest improvements.

Cons

Rotating days, hard to make a set schedule. Uneasiness about job security with constant talks of change but no real outline going forward.

Standards need to be placed so a benchmark can be set for employees who have goals and are willing to work hard to obtain them.

Ive had worse jobs, not horrible

I have been working at EarthLink

Pros

the staff is easy going and fun to work with

Cons

low pay with little to no yearly raise, pto is awful, no flex time

Great place to work and self motivated to improve your knowledge

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment for smart employees, rewards to hard work, good culture & respect to all employees. Management concentrate more on growth, unnecessary cost cuttings and more. excellent customer support.

Cons

Nothing more specific. There is no sponsorship for high studies even though company values degree holders. There is no competitive annual pay raise & very less hiring process. This shows inability to grow in faster pace.

Aim for best customer service, educate or give more training to all employees, save money and show you are the best in market!

Triage Group

I worked at EarthLink

Pros

Paycheck always in bank on time, benefits, PTO.

Cons

Worst job ever had, overworked, understaffed. Lost site of repairing customers. All about 15 minute troubleshoot and move onto next ticket while everyone in company must be tied to a ready phone and also open new tickets for customers calling in.

Leave opening trouble tickets to customer service and have triage only troubleshoot and resolve issues. Fill shifts to what is needed not what you think can be done minimally.

Once a great place to work and be innovative

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Super relaxed work enviornment, probably to the extreme. Employees can wear anything - shorts, sandles, jeans - you name it you can wear it. The culture promotes individuality and risk taking so you will find people from all types of backgrounds. The uniqueness of the individual employees was a big reason for their success back in the early 90's. Policies such as 3 week sabbatical after 5 years employment and their geneours profit sharing and additional bonus package kept employees engaged and loyal.

Cons

Sometimes the lack of structure and risk taking lead to big mistakes. Employees were definitely rewarded for their risk taking, but not sure if they were equally held accountable for their bad decisions. After the company slept through the advent of high speed internet and voice (others like AT&T pounced), there were not many opportunities for advancement and job growth was all but non-existent.

Continue to look for a merger/buyer. There are still signs of the old EarthLink Culture, but just not sure how long the company can hold on with its limited product offerings. Or be like Apple and pay big for the next genious to deliver a groundbreaking product. It only takes one like the iPhone to launch you into a new era.

Network Vendor Manager

I worked at EarthLink

Pros

Was a close family like atmosphere

Cons

With the loss of Garry the company lost direction.

Time to re-brand; competing against IBM requires a stronger value proposition.

Will be sold or go under within 12 months

Former Employee - Director in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Director in Rochester, NY

I worked at EarthLink full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nice office; free parking; good base pay; if you keep your mouth shut and do your job, you will likely stay employed

Cons

core values are a farce; management only interested in self-preservation; operates in silos and very limited advancement opportunity

Clean house of all legacy EarthLink executives; listen to front line employees from legacy One Comm who have been there for a long time.

This company has potential - hang in there

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great People - part of what keeps me here is the people I work with. Even when it's a little chaotic - we keep each other going. Everyone really is trying to do the "right things" to move us forward.

Cons

Old Thinking - part of what I think keeps holding us back is people who have been here too long and don't understand that for this company to evolve and grow, we have to constantly review how we currently do things and make necessary adjustments.

People in positions of management should be agents of change and the leadership positions underneath should mirror that thought process.