EarthLink

EarthLink Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

EarthLink President & CEO Joseph Eazor

Joseph Eazor

Pros:
  • "The company made it easy to have a great work/life balance"
    in 7 reviews
  • "There are few good people who really want to make it happen"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management runs with some ideas without realizing how they affect the employees"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Senior Management is really confused"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place to learn

I have been working at EarthLink full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people that work at EarthLink are what make it great. Everyone is intelligent, friendly and motivated.

ConsIt always felt like I was on a sinking ship. Continual layoffs.

Focus is trying to transition from traditional telecom to Managed IT Services

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at EarthLink full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent compensation package. Longevity in the industry through acquisitions. Name recognition.

ConsDespite the current migration into the Managed IT Services space, reps are still micro-managed with granular sales reporting that creates barriers with regards to your ability to spend time "selling". And, with the push to move to the Managed IT space, quotas are still managed as though it's still telecom mindset.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the new business model is to become a national MSP, and, if you want more productively our of your direct sales force, then build your sales force model to reflect so. Despite the push for MSP, the sales team are managed as though they are traditional telecom.

This place is stereotypically terrible.

Anonymous (Current Employee)
Vancouver, WA

I have been working at EarthLink

ProsSometimes they'll tell you in person when you get laid off. Most of the time, though , it's by phone.

ConsIt's so bad, HR reps have a hard time keeping up with ethical complaints. Our previous CEO drive the company into the ground, paving the way for quarterly mass layoffs so we could give him a 3.5 million dollar retirement. The head count slashing continues while emails are sent out detailing a posh new headquarters. There is zero communication within the company between the tiers. Departments flat out lie to each other. It is CYA based,not customer focused. And the culture is one of fear, not team work. Horrible experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementCOMMUNICATE OPENLY. Let your employees know they are valued. You'd be shocked at how far a small attaboy goes.

Great People, no leadership

I worked at EarthLink full-time

ProsDedicated work force. Work from home available.

ConsNo clear path to a defined goal

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelopment shouldn't be driving the company

It's a good company

I worked at EarthLink full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible, good benefits, work from home option

ConsNot much growth, head quarter centric

Company of Companies

Analyst (Current Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I have been working at EarthLink full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is a lot of opportunity at EarthLink, they are working to integrate multiple companies and move ahead in the IT Services Market.

ConsThey are working on integrating multiple companies! There are some issues because there are so many legacy companies and each one does things a little different.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't try to change too many things at once. It might work better if one change was completed before too many more were started.

Overall challenging and fast paced - cost cutting main focus. Questionable future.

I worked at EarthLink full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPrior to the large layoff in 2007, the technology and people were outstanding. After the layoffs the few that remained were forced to take on more challenges with same amount of applications and systems while implementing hardware consolidations, virtualization, disaster recovery, and security improvements. This enabled the few remaining an opportunity to be involved in a lot of areas and gain some exposure to key technologies. There is a lot to be learned here about proper ROI calculations, analysis and cost of evaluating products and services, and opportunities to excel at reducing expenses and outsourcing. Salaries and benefits were enough to help keep key employees from jumping ship.

ConsThe company is dwindling and can't seem to find a new focus. Purchasing of additional companies has masked the reductions but in the end layoffs were every quarter or 6 months with no real end in sight for reductions. With the new executive staff in 2014 there might be a possibility of some hope, but anyone getting in now needs to be prepared for constant integrations, doing more with less, and be ready for continual resource cuts and outsourcing.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a new product focus to save the company, quickly evaluate the new acquisitions and decide whether or not the integration is going to provide the value you expected. Continue to evaluate cost of applications vs profit/revenue and cut the dead weight.

Great coworkers, company outsourced everything

Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink full-time for more than a year

ProsThe working environment was very relaxed and accepting. There was no discrimination of any kind in hiring.

ConsEverything ended up getting outsourced and salaries were below industry average. Also, some of the systems for managing customers/payment were antiquated.

Fast pace and unstructured

I have been working at EarthLink full-time

ProsYou will be exposed to vast technologies and products

ConsCompensation is minimum. There is no real structure throughout the business. Processes seem to change on whelm

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport and reward all your employees. Create a detailed process that actually works for the company and ensure that all internal organization agree to this process

Decent pay but limited opportunities

Rochester, NY

I worked at EarthLink full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe compensation is good and the benefits are decent.

ConsThey are constantly reorganizing and this does is not conducive for consistency. When the reorganizations happen the new leadership only promote the people from outside the company and disregard the people who have worked hard internally for years. I was very disappointed in the regard and compassion they have for their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership has no regard or clue on how to treat their employees. The leadership better get a grip or this company will not be around for long.

Worked for EarthLink? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EarthLink reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for EarthLink CEO Joseph Eazor. All 213 reviews posted anonymously by EarthLink employees.