EarthLink Reviews

Updated October 11, 2014
2.7

EarthLink President & CEO Joseph Eazor
Joseph Eazor

Pros
  • I've also found the culture and management to be very supportive of work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Good if you are looking for just a paycheck not a career , a lot of good people to learn from (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management runs with some ideas without realizing how they affect the employees (in 12 reviews)

• Company seems to be headed towards bankruptcy and Senior Management is grasping at straws to stay afloat (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Earthlink So
    So

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Vancouver Junction, WA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Vancouver Junction, WA

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Telecommute, work from home, insurance`

Cons

No loyalty to employees whatsoever

Great people, terrible company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are nice. We have a decent amount of team building activities on the surface, but it doesn't accomplish much. Core values were great until they got changed to some wishy washy verbage. Work/life balance is great!

Cons

The company experiences nothing but change, and not in a positive way. Lots of busy work. It spends so much time trying to change, but not working towards improvement. Not a lot of room for growth. Does not support professional development beyond in-house online trainings. Lots of layoffs every month. Every day I hear others talk about wanting to leave this place. Penny pinching left and right unless there's a risk of a lawsuit involved.

Consider paying closer attention to what is being accomplished around the company, and clean house if people don't fit your vision.

You're wasting your time here.

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers make this place better.

Cons

It is very hard to sell Earthlink managed services because they are priced out of the market. Nobody wants to pay an average of $300-400 more for the same service from the LEC, when Earthlink adds a profit margin on-top of the base cost. As a result 90% of customers will not contract services with Earthlink. The remaining 10% must contract because they have no choice, there are no providers servicing their location(s). And when they do sign with Earthlink, there's a very real possibility that the service you sold will fallout due to scheduling conflict, facilities, internal system conflicts, so many things go wrong here I can't even begin to list .. It's a bad position as a career sales person to be in to have worked so many deals and not have made any money.

Management demands performance but will not focus time or energy to coaching and developing talent. My required training was four days through an IT sales program that covers a large IT environment including: layered technology, CPE, hardware, software, security, data center, data connections, etc. Which really should have been a two week curriculum because IT is not an easy concept to grasp, people invest their entire careers to accumulate this type of knowledge that you try cramming into 32 hours. Quick Q*A during but when finished we have very limited very limited support

Management operates under a CYA mentality for the most part and is either you got it or you don't...if you don't then there's the door - show yourself out. What they don't understand or care to do anything about is that people entry level positions need training, support and developed into specific roles to be successful within the organization. At the end of the month when almost everyone on the team does not hit target, with exception of one or two seasoned reps on a team of fifteen - it's not going to help you or your team by bullying or their threatening jobs in open meetings. Many people on your team are going to leave you stranded as a manager because they will not follow you into the fire. The forces that are keeping your reps from becoming successful are both external and internal and you have no control of it at all. The only things you can do and do well are training, coaching, and developing talent so they can be more effective in market.

Marketing's budget is non-existent or they lack of resources to promote customer demand. As a sales rep you will be provided with a lead list with over a 60% inaccuracy rate, leads/opportunities from years past.. When you call into a targeted business expect the contact number to be invalid, or the person is no longer there, email will bounce back. So this means that you will be wasting time researching and prospecting into dead leads. Those few people who are successful at prospecting have external resources. Or seasoned sales representative with over six years experience have the human capital to get orders from large firms from which they have sold to in the past.

Massive layoffs from sales, channel managers, sales engineers, directors, administrators and back around to management. This year my department has let go 40% of the workforce. This means that we will not have job security.

Internal IT systems including CRM software, database and order systems do not function under one UI. The systems are fragmented, locations, customer information can only be access through an agent local to the client. It will take you two days to change an order out and re-engage customers in the sales process. This means that you will be wasting a lot of time navigating between these systems.

Resign.

Great place to make a career.

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

EarthLink has a very flexible PTO pollicy and they encourage a work life balance. I've been with the company for more than a decade and you won't find a better place to work in the telecom and IT industry if you are a competent employee.

Cons

Due to the number of mergers and acquisitions it can be tough getting used to the different systems and processes. However, as long as you are able to adapt to changing envoiornments, most things are easy enough to learn and the company understands the ramp up time needed.

Evolving Company with Exciting Path Ahead

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

EarthLink is a 20-year technology prioneer with a solid new management leadership team and strategy. Personally, I enjoy that each day my work is varied, challenging, and impactful to the company. The company is large enough to offer solid benefits and support, yet not too large where you wonder whether what you do each day actually matters to our customers and colleagues!

Cons

There is a very real sense among many employees that experience, tenure and career pathing are not valued here. I'd encourage our HR leaders to put a lot of energy into righting that ship. Sales and employee training is also in need of attention.

Listen more to the advice from top-performing, tenured employees who might not necessarily be people managers.

Excellent company with great Values. Heading in the right direction.

Current Employee - Senior Director in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company is very passionate about Customer Experience. Encourages employee growth of skill sets and learning. Cares deeply about Brand perception and will move heaven and earth to solve issues that lead to bad customer experience. Very creative and open environment. Every employee has access to email the CEO directly with concerns. Always looking for ways to be better and smarter in the competitive space yet works hard to balance that operational plan with fiscal responsibility.

Cons

Challenges include many recent re-organization's that can lead to undefined roles and responsibilities. That said the company makes great efforts to pinpoint and target those area's that need refinement. Promotions within can be sparse until the company fully operationalizes it's new direction but there ARE opportunities for those who want to make an impact.

Continue on this new path and keep the entire company focused on these central new goals and direction. Keep the communication coming and cascade the new direction and focus throughout the company as quickly as possible.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Marketing in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing in Rochester, NY

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People treat each other with respect, and are really focused on doing the right thing for the business and customers - In my 18 months here I've rarely if ever experienced self-promotion/back stabbing type behavior that I've seen at almost every other company I've worked for. Senior leadership is accessible/approachable and interested in what employees have to say. I've also found the culture and management to be very supportive of work-life balance.

Cons

Functional silos, although it's getting better. Company was formed through acquisition of regional service providers, so there are the inevitable systems and process issues, but things are getting better - on the right path.

Earthlink is not there yet but finally has a map on how to get there!!

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Rochester, NY

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have been here for almost 10 years and been through the many mergers. When Earthlink came in they helped save a sinking ship. Management understands that people should come first. Where else do you get 4 weeks of PTO right away and flexible working arrangements. If you are willing to grow and learn then Earthlink will help you get there.

Cons

The pay could be a bit more competitive. It is sometimes hard for long term employees to let go of old ways and enbrace the new. It can get in the way sometimes. They also need to get rid off the off shore internal help desk and bring back customer service to the USA. They need to provide a unifrom trainig for all emplyess bit old and new. Too many systems to do one simple task.

Keep foused on what needs to be fixed and stick with that. Please do not add new products or services until you fix all the current issues.

Moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is starting to move in the right direction, and with the new CEO Joe Eazor and his executive team you can start to see a vision that will lift EarthLink out of the fog into a focused network and multi-location provider. The people I work with are awesome and take both a pride in their work and care about making the company an awesome place. I look forward to 2015 after we get through all of the transitions the company is going through today.

Cons

Because we are a large company with many different systems through acquisition glued together all the process of reorganizing and focusing the company is moving painfully slow. EarthLink has two segments to their business both Enterprise and Consumer. We tend to treat our consumer customers as bottom of the barrel and the level of support we provide could easily be labeled the worst in the industry. It's honestly embarrassing.

Keep moving in the direction you've stated and let's get their sooner rather then later. Time is moving quickly. Please spend some money to improve the experience and support the consumer side of your business. While you may not think that it matters, it is hurting your brand.

Disorganized Chaotic and Lacking communication

Current Employee - Sales in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in Rochester, NY

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gain experience selling into the channel and a paycheck and the people I work with.

Cons

A Revolving door of people in different positions. Management does not always understand the sales cycle and the times it takes to sell certain solution sets and revert back to a telecom mentality as far as time frames go. Little or no communication as far as additions or removals of certain products to catalog. Little or no advertising or brand marketing AT All which makes it tough to gain name recognition or brand recognition. New CEO Seems to be readying company to sell..

Not much to say here because the management probably wont be here in another 6 months.