EarthLink Reviews

Updated October 11, 2014
2.7

EarthLink President & CEO Joseph Eazor
Joseph Eazor

Pros
  • I've also found the culture and management to be very supportive of work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Good if you are looking for just a paycheck not a career , a lot of good people to learn from (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management runs with some ideas without realizing how they affect the employees (in 12 reviews)

• Company seems to be headed towards bankruptcy and Senior Management is grasping at straws to stay afloat (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Company circling the drain

Former Employee - Network Operations in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Network Operations in Vancouver, WA

I worked at EarthLink full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of challenges and opportunity to do new things. Some of the management is good but everyone is stretched too thin. Most of the folks working there are nice, although everyone is stressed out.

Cons

Burnout. Processes are terrible and customer satisfaction is extremely low. A company where you need to watch your back. They have been thinning the ranks and performing mass layoffs over the past 2 years during integration, loosing essential people and knowledge without forethought or backup plan. Company seems to be headed towards bankruptcy and Senior Management is grasping at straws to stay afloat.

Joe Eazor has made it worse

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Pittsford, NY
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Pittsford, NY

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people, some of the best co-workers and office culture I ever experienced.

Cons

The company has no direction, way too many systems to get an installation done in a reasonable amount of time. You can be the best salesperson in the world it won't matter because their is a ton of bureaucracy and finger pointing along with "not my job 15 years ago and not my job now". Customers are put last instead of first.

Wake up! You cannot build a sucessful business when 70% of the company doesn't give a crap. Hold all departments accountable not just sales.

Slightly better than average employer.

I worked at EarthLink full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overall, satisfied with opportunities and employer handling of issues.

Cons

Moved a lot of work overseas (India)

Bring the jobs home.

Telecommunication company that was a failed Web services company

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at EarthLink full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good base pay, some slight name recognition from the 1990's when they had better branding. No commission until installation and billing so be ready to be involved with many departments throughout the sale. Can have work-life balance.

Cons

They are having growing pains.

Help sales teams much more if you want to grow.

Jul 16, 2014Social Media and Communicate Engagement Manager

Thank you for sharing your candid comments about your previous employment with EarthLink. We appreciate your positive call-outs, such as noting our positive work/life balance, but also acknowledge ... More

Absolute disaster of a company, if you are smart you will avoid this place!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at EarthLink full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is above industry average (in certain areas), free coffee, some of the co-workers, good PTO (if you can use it)

Cons

Mass layoffs every quarter, lots of senior management turnover to start. I have seen more layoffs at this company than every other company I have ever worked for, combined. This company has no direction, regardless of what the new CEO says. They wanted to expand into IT services, made some incredibly poor decisions, now they are writing off the decisions and promoting the people responsible for millions of dollars in losses. Major infighting where even the simplest tasks practically impossible to do. With the amount of dysfunction I have seen here in the past two years (including hiring a large amount of people when I started only to lay most of them off 3 months later), I am honestly surprised this place is still in business.

Fire yourselves, seriously. The dysfunction of this company is almost unbelievable.

Run

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people who do the work of service delivery are remarkably talented and dedicated. They earnestly want to provide value to their customers and believe they can right the ship through will power and effort alone. If you are starting your career in IT or customer support, this can be a rewarding place to learn. Many first tier and mid level managers are also highly motivated to do good work and provide leadership to their teams.

Cons

A toxic and dysfunctional environment with soul crushing pettiness. Most employees block out the noise of management's latest boondoggle decree by focusing on the their customers. Good work gets done because the employees are dedicated and empathetic, not because Management has given them the time, training, tools, and support to succeed. If you enjoy working without any feedback until you make a mistake, this is the perfect environment for you. If you can sustain your morale on free donuts once a quarter and promises that are made and forgotten, you will have a long and satisfying career with EarthLink. If you can accept an entry level pay rate that is slightly above norm and subsist on 1.5% to 2.2% raises over the rest of your tenure, submit your resume.

3 years ago EarthLink had a strong balance sheet and abundant capital to retool their Internet Service Provider business and dominate the Managed Service Provider sector. The idea was to leverage the data driven efficiencies baked into the old business to realize additional revenues within the existing customer base and then go in search of new markets. Bad deals (buying a call center but not the phone system, purchasing data centers that have no hardware, no racks, no redundancy, and no customers), a lack of buy-in and focus from the legacy business leaders (a month after the new CEO was installed he was shocked to learn that EarthLink sold HD as a managed service), and a refusal to listen to experienced MSP professionals have squandered the capital and scared away most of the customers. .

Today the MSP businesses that were acquired are mostly dormant or in decline. The leadership teams brought on board as part of those acquisitions have been picked off or banished, leaving operations in the hands of people ill equipped to sustain the agility required to supply managed services.

The company culture promotes a sense of defensiveness and confusion that fosters internal competition instead of collaboration. EarthLink's management has been too reliant on window dressing and slogans rather than vision and execution. Morale across all levels is very poor. Distrust between Sr. Leadership team members means more time is invested in C. Y. A. mode instead of focusing on the core business.

In the last six months some key leaders have been replaced, but the acrimony and dysfunction is still evident. The problem is that many of the players who oversaw day to day operations during the decline are still on board and tasked with leading the renewal. This does not bode well for the future of EarthLink no matter what business they ultimately decide to become.

Good Atmosphere, Pay Scale is Off

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The new CEO seems to have a very good plan and good energy about him. My work atmosphere is very relaxed, and my coworkers are easy to get along with.

Cons

Multiple systems from multiple legacy companies create a necessity for redundant data input. Poor communication between sales and implementation teams. Opportunities for advancement have been in poor supply.

Invest more in your employees and unify systems to eliminate confusion. Create accountability in sales, particularly sales engineering.

Jul 16, 2014Social Media and Communicate Engagement Manager

Thank you for sharing such candid comments about your current role with EarthLink. We appreciate your feedback, such as the energy of our new management team and the relaxed work atmosphere, along ... More

Never really integrated all companies

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The staff and people are great. My direct team was phenomenal and all wanted to do what was best for the company. Demanding leaders but competent and willing to roll up their sleeves to get the job done.

Cons

Never really merged all the companies purchased from a systems and processes perspective. Married the product sets better but still need to condense product line ups to make it easier to sell and support. Lots of organizational changes and shake ups at the executive level. Makes it an unstable environment and many RIFs have occurred unsettling the work force.

Stop making executive level management changes and execute on one, thoughtful strategy vs constantly changing directions. It makes it for a tough working environment. Everyone has good intentions but they need to execute on the plan.

Excellent

Current Employee - Repair Tech in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Repair Tech in Rochester, NY

I have been working at EarthLink part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exciting and satisfying. The supervisors are great they allow you to expand and go above what's expected this gives an advantage when looking to move up within the company

Cons

Sometimes, depending on the situation you man be placed on a team remotely. This can make communication difficult and never personally knowing your supervisor take away from the relationship side of communicating together

Keep it up, continue to be a place that values it's employees by presenting opportunity to the lower level

Jul 16, 2014Social Media and Communicate Engagement Manager

Thank you for sharing the wonderful feedback about your current role with EarthLink! We appreciate your positive feedback, such as the exciting and satisfying work atmosphere and opportunities to ... More

An epitome of how a company can be driven into the ground.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsford, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsford, NY

I worked at EarthLink full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of spare time as there is no movement forward with company..

Cons

Constant layoffs and reorganizations. Plenty of clueless management with little or zero industry experience, hired only because they know somebody. Good majority of management came from failed or bankrupt telcos, now pretending they can contribute to an IT company. Zero possibility of internal advancement. Countless wasted cycles to implement or accomplish the simplest of tasks.

Any employee worth his or her own weight left long time ago due to aggravation, poor pay, constant reorganizations. Only employees that are left, are the deadweight that the company has been carrying for years. Employee turn-over is like you have never seen at any company.

Probably the most unorganized, unprofessional, aggravating job I will ever have in my career, which is also clearly articulated in the stock price of Earthlink (read nosedive of the past three years).

Worst yet? As I have learned while going through interviewing process for a new job, having Earthlink on your resume is a negative. Lot's of employee turnover and very upset customers

New CEO has a tough job ahead. Cleaning house is his only chance to survive.

Jul 16, 2014Social Media and Communicate Engagement Manager

Thank you for sharing such candid comments about your previous employment with EarthLink. There are always opportunities for any company to improve, and your feedback may help us address some of the ... More