EarthLink Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Was a great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at EarthLink

Pros

Was a great place to work with very bright people who really cared about the company

Cons

All the great people left or were laid off due to outsource and company's challenges finding a new direction

Not what I was expecting

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at EarthLink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I do not have any. The Management I joined for are no longer there.

Cons

I went their to help develop a new division of the company and we quite simply didn't have the solutions we needed to move upmarket Non-Stop Training that did not educate whatsoever Systems were not integrated from the various mergers.

Advice to Management

Stay in the SMB markets

No love for the Top Performing Sales Reps - Work Hard Don't Get Rewarded - Only Work here if you REALLY need a job!

Former Employee - Sales in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in Rochester, NY

I worked at EarthLink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money was good Good Immediate Management Free Chilled Water and Coffees Free Trinkets Immediate Team Members good People

Cons

Always changing environment and inept management. No motivation and very depressing atmosphere Decisions made but never explained, MAJOR changes made but not even a meeting to try to explain why. Promises made in vain. Many managers out for themselves If your customer cancels in 6 months they take your HARD EARNED commission away - even if you could not fix the issue or were not the cause of it Inept service delivery people- Poor Service levels causing good customers to cancel

Advice to Management

Pick a path and stick with it. Instead of letting your best people go do the RIGHT thing and make changes so that they may stay and continue to benefit the company by their efforts. Get your head out of your rear ends and decide what you want to be when you grow up, services that sell and make margin should be kept NOT divested. I will be surprised if this company stays in business.

What a mess.

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nothing good about this place.

Cons

Constantly changing direction. Trying to become a managed service provider and going upstream to enterprise accounts but their name is killing them. Should have changed it from EarthLink to something else when they had the chance.

Advice to Management

Get a clue.

Lack of Direction

Current Employee - Data Tech II in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Data Tech II in Rochester, NY

I have been working at EarthLink

Pros

Great people on the front lines

Cons

No information dissemination, Management led around by their noses, all company yes-men, Actual current trends are not taken into account before action is made

Advice to Management

Make decisions from the bottom up, not the top down, get advice from techs on the front lines instead of making huge changes then having to backpedal

Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at EarthLink

Pros

They are flexible and understanding regarding family and work schedule. As long as you put in your 40 hrs and are on time. Selling goes without saying.

Cons

Most unorganized and poorly managed company I have come across in 20+ years career.

Advice to Management

Pull your heads from where the sun doesn't shine and start listening to your customers and your employees that deal with them day to day.

8. Very challenging work environment.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at EarthLink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good training program. Direct staff nice people who care.

Cons

Management continually changing. No consistency. Couldn't deliver on service and support to new and established clients.

Advice to Management

Nee to hire more experienced Managers who will help communicate with corporate and support staff better. Need to stop the continual change in approach and offerings and get better at the core of what the company has done best.

Gone In A Minute

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY

I worked at EarthLink

Pros

Great group of people to work with. No micro-managing. Very flexible with work/life balance.

Cons

Antiquated systems and no real processes to follow. Laying people off each year destroys morale and hurt your place in the market. Select a vision and work it.

Advice to Management

Lay yourselves off first before you affect those that are actually doing the job.

Made my decision for me

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink

Pros

Money was good and I like solving puzzles. Lots of people were fun to work with. I could work from home.

Cons

I realized that all corporations are alike. They all follow the same ridiculous management fads. Everybody tries to please the guy (and usually it's a guy) at the top. The focus is upward while the customers, and the people who interface with them, are ignored. I actually heard a VP say that the company revenue in the hot new cloud space had been doubled that year because they purchased a company. So that meant revenue would double again the next year as well, and it would be such a great investment. I, who actually did some analysis and talked to people, am sitting there pondering the dozens of unintegrated systems from previously purchased companies that had salespeople and customers both screaming that they couldn't get anything done. And the failed projects to integrate those legacy systems. But Yeah! Buy more companies! And outsource the IT work! That's ALWAYS so successful and saves so much money. Don't pay for training for any current employees, that's a waste of resources. Things aren't working because of too much complexity? Install complicated, buggy software to track the defects! Anyway, this company helped me decide to get out of IT work for good.

Advice to Management

That's an oxymoron. Like management would take advice from anyone. Management already has all the answers, it's the stupid employees who just don't get it and want to do silly things like turn up services for customers on time and send them an accurate bill.

Lack of Direction; They Pay Well

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at EarthLink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They compensated me well for all the challenges which I very much appreciated. Money is what really matters so that makes this company OK.

Cons

They don't pick a direction and stick with it before jumping to try something else; so the company offers dozens of half-baked services and products that are not well defined, implemented, or supported. Old, slow, inaccurate systems and databases that can make just finding out what customers actually have an hour long process.

Advice to Management

Pick a half dozen things you want to provide; clearly define what it is and how it helps the prospect before you ask people to sell it; actually have the service do what you told the sales people it does. Stick with it for a couple years before just giving up. Stop delaying implementations and revenue over nonsense like "does the business name on contract match the listing on Secretary of State" and "does the customer know exactly what extension names and Auto Attendant messages they want even though we're not installing the solution for 4 months." And throw away all of your old systems and replace them with spreadsheets to pass around from department to department. Everyone would be 10 times more productive.

RSS Feed </> Embed