Earthbound Trading

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sharon Helman

Not too bad

First Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Independence, MO

I worked at Earthbound Trading full-time for less than a year

ProsI really liked the product and they gave you 50% off. Most of the managers they hire are pretty lax on laying down the silly policies (such as no phones on the floor.) They had a really good customer service plan that made customers feel good.

ConsThe district manager I worked under let her emotions sway heavily on her decisions, which isn't always the best way to manage people. If she was mad at you, you would know it and your store would suffer. They would go out of their way to train someone that they liked but would barely help the ones they don't want to succeed for personal reasons. Also the commission is .01% if the store makes its monthly goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should give every employee equal opportunity to succeed, even if you have a personal problem with that employee.

Mediocre at best

I worked at Earthbound Trading part-time for less than a year

ProsEmployee discount, co-workers, in store management

ConsCheap products, terrible upper management, awful pay, a joke of an inventory system and clueless buyers

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Allow your store managers to MANAGE their stores, seems like it's pretty common in this company for DMs to overstep. Our DM was a huge joke too. His visits to the store were just dreadful and it was comical watching him interact awkwardly with customers. And then try and turn around and critique how everyone else was doing as if he had any idea.... you know it's bad when even your own manager wants out of the company.

As for the products- If you're going to market your store as being "earthy" it might be wise to follow through. Half the crap sold here is cheap, mass produced stuff. I rarely used my employee discount because I watched the shipment come in each week full of poorly made items and didn't want to waste my money. It's no surprise that we couldn't even hit a very moderate sales goal for the holiday season. And another thing, enough with the ridiculous goals. This is an over priced gift shop, sales goals in this atmosphere do nothing but turn sales associates into pushy sales people. That is NOT the type of thing ebt customers are into. I highly suggest learning who your customer is, you'll quickly see just how ridiculous a sales goal is here.

Cute store, terrible management.

Keyholder (Former Employee)

I worked at Earthbound Trading part-time for less than a year

ProsMerchandise is fun, although mass produced and cheap.
Flexible-ish scheduling.
Easy to move up in management.

ConsManagement.
Co-workers.
Thrown in with little training and high expectations.
Company tracks sales, if you don't meet said sales your hours will be docked, which is awful in the winter when no one wants to buy tie-dye or beach wear.
Must text DM every three hours with sale goals, every day. I'm not kidding.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP micro-managing your stores. Let store managers do their jobs- cultivate a satisfying, conducive work environment, the sales should come naturally without bosses making everyone miserable. Also, let employees change the record of cashier! It contributes to unfair numbers.

Great Atmosphere to work

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Joliet, IL

I have been working at Earthbound Trading full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay/ good management/ Good Benefits

Consworking everyweek end/ having to make unrealistic goals

Advice to Senior Managementnothing keep doing what you are doing

Most unprofessional, unorganized retail company for which I've ever had to work

Keyholder/Temp Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Earthbound Trading part-time for less than a year

ProsThe customers and the employee discount are the only things about Earthbound Trading Company that could be considered a pro

ConsEverything about Earthbound.
When I started working at Earthbound, there was a manager and a few keyholders, but the manager shortly left and we were without a manager for the next three months until I quit. Keyholders were forced to uphold the store without proper management or even training to do so. I was given assistant management powers and forced under the responsibility of an assistant manager without even a pay raise or anything. I had to work 30+ hours a week because I wasn't allowed to hire anybody else to help, and most of the current keyholders were students with limited availability, and I was one of two who had open availability.
They hired a manager who had no previous experience working at Earthbound or as a retail manager, which is when I left.
The inventory system was impractical and had almost no pattern to it.
The equipment failed often.
Goals were set unrealistically high.
No work/life balance.
Low pay for what I was working
Current management rude to customers
After I told my DM I felt unsafe in my resignation, I was not offered help.
I never once received a pay stub. I had direct deposit, but pay stubs were not mailed to me.
Refused to work with employees who had second jobs.
Products often cheaply made and easily broken.
Upper management positions always seemed available because the turnover rate was so high.
Extremely unprofessional management and overall work environment.
Unqualified upper management, really terribly unqualified upper management I cannot express this enough
Company tries to boast "import" and exoticism, when it is all still corporate-produced mass inventory.
DM's micro-manage yet have no idea how an actual retail store runs
Layout was overwhelming and aesthetically displeasing
Shipment and ordering product was a joke
The backroom was always in a state of disarray with no good way to keep it organized
Poor system of updates
Poor POS system
Poor marketing updates
Poor pricing updates

All around poor company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your upper management to actually understand the inner workings of a retail store, train your employees, improve your shipping and inventory, POS, and update system, stop hiring people who are less than qualified for management positions

Horrible Horrible Waste of Time

Dallas, TX

I worked at Earthbound Trading part-time for less than a year

ProsEnvironment isn't too demanding and not much of anything else.

ConsConvincing the consumer to purchase "slave jewelry" because it's "stylish"
Lazy management, horrible corporate, incompetent district managers, work hours are horrible and the pay is minimum waged.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company has so many openings for management because they are not able to maintain a suitable and competitive work environment so fix that and stop treating your employees like the slave laborers you purchase your items from.

WORST JOB EVER

Raleigh, NC

I worked at Earthbound Trading part-time for more than a year

ProsIt's a nice store. The products are nice and the work isn't bad while you're there--that is if you don't mind being there all the time.

ConsThey called me in almost every day when I wasn't scheduled and screamed at me if I couldn't come in. I was demoted and received a $2 pay cut for missing one day of work. I have been forced to work 12 hour days while other employees skipped work multiple times and each once a day because that's all I can afford on their pay and they only give breaks often enough and long enough to stay within legal regulations. I called in sick once and my manager came into the other store I work at, during my shift, while I was helping customers and yelled at me publicly, saying that I should really learn to take my job seriously and that I might as well just quit now. So I did. I worked there for over a year. Earthbound has absolutely no respect for its employees.

Eh

Key Holder (Current Employee)
Pearland, TX

I have been working at Earthbound Trading part-time for more than a year

ProsRelaxed environment
Great Co-workers and Managers

ConsHorrible inventory system
Abysmal Product ordering system
Too much micro managing by DM's and most DM's don't know what it's like in a retail store and that we can't make sales goals when there's a low volume of customers

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the store's not the district managers.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Key holder/ Sales position

Key Holder (Former Employee)
Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Earthbound Trading part-time for less than a year

ProsFantastic merchandise and customers. I loved the environment that I worked in and the people that I helped. Earthbound trading donates to numerous charities .

ConsThe management is terrible. I was often berated and felt like I wasn't getting the appreciate that I deserved, or worked for.

Some cool products, but completely screwed up company.

First Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
South Lake Tahoe, CA

I worked at Earthbound Trading full-time for less than a year

Pros-50% discount
-"Cool" store vibe with some neat product from all over the world

Cons-Awful pay
-Poor, poor, POOR upper management
-Too much focus on sales goals, not enough focus on training employees/merchandising
-No training of employees. You are left to learn on your own, and when mistakes happen, they will terminate you.
-Terrible hours if you are in a full-time position, you don't get any part of your day!
-Some neat product, though most is cheaply made and breaks easily
-Somewhat schizophrenic store theme/vision
-It's too easy for anyone to be promoted in this company, resulting in poor management and completely screwed store operations.
-Extremely unprofessional management and overall work environment.

Overall, this company LIKES to believe they know what they are doing, when in reality, behind the sales floor there are a lot of underlying issues. In the 6 months I worked at Earthbound, I saw 10 employees come and go and extremely under qualified people get promoted into management positions. This company is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementTRAIN YOUR EMPLOYEES. Hire QUALIFIED and PROFESSIONAL people to work in management. Pay attention to feedback from your employees and stop promoting people who don't know what they are doing and this company MAY succeed! Also, pay more attention to where you open your stores so you don't end up opening a store and closing it a year later!

Worked for Earthbound Trading? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Earthbound Trading reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Earthbound Trading CEO Sharon Helman. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Earthbound Trading employees.