Earthbound Trading Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Steve James

Pros
  • Their is an amazing employee discount (in 8 reviews)

• Our team worked hard but kept a laid back atmosphere (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales goals pulled out of thin air (in 11 reviews)

• upper management I cannot express this enough (in 7 reviews)

1. Drama filled and hypocritical

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Earthbound Trading full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discount was good, but considering the quality of items, by using your discount you're paying for what the product SHOULD be priced at. My co-workers were likeminded and mostly great people The regular customers were a joy to get to know

Cons

Management. There was a lot of gossiping within the store by the higher ups. I felt like I was in high school again with all of the drama that the managers started. The managers were constantly standing behind the cash wrap gossiping, outside of the store on the phone with personal calls for 30-45 minutes at a time, or out on an hour long walk for no reason, while the rest of the employees worked for their sales. They would always come back into the store angry that they didn't have any sales then proceed to start stealing sales that the associates worked hard for. The sales goals were unrealistic and you would get yelled at if it was a slow day and you didn't meet your goal. They won't give you breaks either. You have to ask for it, but be prepared for them to get upset that you try to take a 30 minute break. But it's okay that they leave for an hour or two for no reason at all. They like to cut hours for no reason and hope that will make an employee quit, because they have no good reason to fire them. The whole company is hypocritical. And management is a joke.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. You're losing the ones that actually want to be there and grow with the company. Make things less about the money and more about teamwork. And if you don't want to be there, it's definitely going to make us not want to be there, get more organized and motivated.

2. Outstanding learning experience!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Franklin, TN

I worked at Earthbound Trading full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company worked with me from the day I started until the day I left 7 years later. They truly pushed me to greatness and pulled me out of my comfort zone at a pace that allowed me to learn everything I could every step of the way.

Cons

Individual DM'S have communication issues with their assigned stores (not ALL of them, not even most, but a few). The RM'S are on point though and proved that they truly have an open door policy. Myself nor my staff EVER felt uncomfortable talking with them about questions or concerns.

Advice to Management

You have to be self motivated for this job. I learned so much from the company on a professional levrl, but there is a LOT of product knowledge and area - specific info that you NEED to stay on top of to really succeed.

3. Awesome

Current Employee - Key Holder in Beaumont, TX
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Beaumont, TX

I have been working at Earthbound Trading part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting the clientele and learning about the products from all over the world. Also my coworkers.

Cons

The only downside is that every time I get paid I want to spend it all there because I love our products.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to keep doing everything you already are doing because it is working. You could add me one day possibly and that would be great.

5. Fun Job, Corporate Sucks

Former Employee - Key Holder in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Madison, WI

I worked at Earthbound Trading part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of like minded employees, liberal dress code, most customers are really nice. The pay was nice, too.

Cons

You won't get any hours. Hours are based on how much money the store makes. So if you have a booming week, the next week, everyone may get 30 hours. If that week falls flat, you will have around 15 hours each. It's too unreliable. Good for someone living at home (or with minimal expenses,) but you can't live on this.

Advice to Management

Get it together at this store. Everyone wants to quit and everyone felt brushed off by our district manager. We dreaded her coming in and me and a few other employees had nightmares about her. The corporation as a whole is allergic to straight answers. Remember, if you give equal payoff to slackers and eager beavers, you will soon have more slackers than eager beavers.

6. Store manager

I worked at Earthbound Trading full-time

Pros

Great company that is willing to teach you to grow within the company. The products are unique and the customers are true cheerleaders

Cons

The promote people who sometimes are not prepared with their positions. Pay could be better and their prices went up.

Advice to Management

Watch who you hire because its not easy to get rid if bad employees

7. mixed feelings

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Earthbound Trading part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great discount Awesome product Not super fast retail

Cons

My manager was very rude But the new assistant manager is the best!

Advice to Management

Stop being giant gossips

8. dismal outlook

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Earthbound Trading part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great discount, developed great relationships at store level

Cons

The company is becoming extremely greedy and changing the culture and feel of Earthbound. Raising goals by 25% or more is a little money hungry, don't you think? Hiring DMs externally and surpassing internal candidates really shows that the company has lost its core values.

Advice to Management

No one at home office reads this site

9. Varies by Location

Current Employee - First Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - First Assistant Manager

I have been working at Earthbound Trading full-time

Pros

The employee discount is really good, it's a fun and laid-back atmosphere, interesting product, there are many opportunities for advancement to management, and the staff is generally small and tightly knit. It feels like going to work with your friends, not just random co-workers you barely know. A lot of that has to do with what location you work at, though. Overall it's a fun, chill place to work. Not that you can just go in and not do anything, because they do have high expectations with sales and customer service, but as long as you're friendly and chat with customers, you'll have a good time at work.

Cons

People assume the product is fair trade or something similar, but it's mostly just very cheaply made from China and Indonesia that breaks pretty easily. They have started getting a lot more high-quality product recently, though. Sales goals are sometimes ridiculously high compared to last year's numbers, so you feel like you're being set up for failure. Especially when they have company-wide contests and extra incentives, they'll jack up the goals so that no one can actually earn those extra incentives. Certain months they'll offer a double bonus for making a certain % over goal, but then they'll make your goal sky-high so that you're trying really hard and making them more money, but they'll never have to actually give you a higher bonus. There was one time when we were promised our extra bonus by the end of a certain month and then a company-wide email went out saying that they couldn't do it yet because they didn't expect so many people to earn such a high bonus, and I'm still not sure if we ever actually got that money. The pay for management isn't great. It's one of those companies you have to work for because you love it, not for the money, because their pay for store manager is what a lot of companies pay for assistant manager. They do have a good bonus system in place, but that depends on making goal so it's not guaranteed. In some districts, managers can have one weekend off each month if they made goal the month before, but in other districts managers can never have a weekend off and I'm sure in others they get one weekend off each month no matter what. It's not consistent. Also, the employee handbook is pathetically vague, so managers and DMs can basically make up their own rules for a lot of stuff (like the dress code or SM weekends off). Because of that, your work experience will depend on which location you work at. Their standards for promotion are also confusing. Previous store and assistant managers used to leave embarrassing passive aggressive notes, take people off the schedule and hope they would quit because they didn't have an actual reason to fire them, sit in the back room and talk on the phone all day, etc and were able to succeed and work their way up in the company. But then other stores have been without a manager or assistant for months because they "want to make sure they find the right person" but don't offer competitive pay. Makes no sense.

Advice to Management

Hold your DM's and RM's more accountable, make more specific policies and actually enforce them, the expectations for management are very high and you expect a lot from them so offer them higher pay or at least better benefits, don't try to double cross your employees or set them up for failure while dangling a prize in front of them because it's extremely immoral and frustrating. And if that's not what you're trying to do, at least understand that's how your employees perceive it and COMMUNICATE with them.

10. I have worked here for a year now

I have been working at Earthbound Trading

Pros

Great environment, great items to sell

Cons

Because each day you are give a sales goal it can become very competitive on the sales floor and hours will be cut if you dont make your sales goal. Highers outside instead of training and coaching from within.

11. Key Holder

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX

I worked at Earthbound Trading

Pros

Great environment, steady customer base, great products. amazing management

Cons

corporate micromanages district stores, little room for advancement

RSS Feed </> Embed