Earthbound Trading

Steve James

Best retail career!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Earthbound Trading full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone in this company cares!!! Every single time I have had an issue it has always been met with "how can we do better?" Whether it be an issue in my store or something we would like to change as a company. We listen to our customers and employees and genuinely care. The President and the Vice President of the company come into my store fairly often and they will ask even my newest,most part time employee how they like working here, what can we change, etc. I have been on retail over 10 yrs. And have never experienced that.

Cons

The biggest issue is that I do wish I could pay some of my employees a bit more. We do have an awesome bonus structure (yes,even for part time sales associates) and my store makes it almost every month, but we aren't that competitive prices in pay vs. Other stores that in my mall.

You guys are doing a great job and this company is going in a great direction. My biggest piece of advice is do not change course, keep the amazing positive outlook you have.

Fun environment; sometimes difficult to make daily goal.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Earthbound Trading part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun environment. I love my co-workers. A lot of the people that come in are really nice and you can strike up interesting conversations with them. Pretty easy-going.

Cons

It only pays minimum wage; wouldn't recommend a sales associate position unless you needed extra money or if you worked 25-30 hours a week. Sometimes it's hard to make your daily goal depending on how busy your store is. The staff was a little too small for a while and it became difficult when someone was sick and couldn't get their shift covered.

Continue motivating your employees in a positive way; it boosts morale! (Advice to corporate: raise the base pay!)

One of my favorite jobs, but pretty unorganized management

Current Employee - Key Holder in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Earthbound Trading part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved selling the unique items to customers. The relaxed atmosphere was great. I actually made a lot of life long friends through this job, and made friends with regular customers who would come in. I love anthropology, so that made my job a lot of fun even though some of the stuff is actually just cheap manufactured junk.

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals, unorganized scheduling, too many total overhauls of store inventory.

We switched management a little too much, and the rules changed too much to actually get something long term accomplished.

Fun people, boring work

Former Employee - Key Holder in Durango, CO
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Durango, CO

I worked at Earthbound Trading part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, fun people that visit the store, discount

Cons

Upper management was a joke, low pay and very tedious work.

Let each store have some creative freedom

Need to get it together

Current Employee - First Assistant Manager

I have been working at Earthbound Trading (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not much to say. Wish corporate was more involved. It's not a hard job. It's ok if you are a student or someone looking for 10 or 15 hrs a week.

Cons

Hard to get goals. Can't keep a Store Manger, been through 4 or 5 in a 3year period. No real incentive. Pay is bad and no hours. Can't live off 15 hrs a week. Product is cheap.

Pay more, give part time paid vacation be more involved

Key Holder

I have been working at Earthbound Trading

Pros

I love the fun atmosphere at Earthbound. I worked here for over two years and through all the turnovers always had a great time. Our team worked hard but kept a laid back atmosphere. If you're looking for a part-time job during college, I would definitely recommend applying.

Cons

As I previously stated, I worked here for over two years and was an exemplary employee and never received a raise. There were bonuses that were promised if our store met sales goals that we met and then never received. Several of our employees, including me, showed passion for staying with the company and applying for corporate positions once we graduated college. However, after two years of reaching out to corporate for information about internships (free skilled labor!), sending new social media ideas and generally showing an interest in growing the company with no response, we all got the sense that this is company that is apathetic about bringing in new, passionate talent. I will be applying elsewhere after graduation.

This is a fun company to work for, but don't forget to appreciate the people who work hard for you. They will find another company that appreciates their drive.

Wonderful place, horrible company policies

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Springfield, MO

I worked at Earthbound Trading part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Diverse cultural items
    Interesting facts about the items

Cons

Sales goals too high
    Items fall apart easily
    Company chooses quantity over quality

Re-think your goals when your product prices don't reflect said goal.

A learning experience

I have been working at Earthbound Trading part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company is constantly growing! They definitely have come a long way and its good to see the company thrive in the best way they know how! so proud of all the accomplishments.

Cons

Lack of communication. Within the company growing so fast the focus on the employees has gone away from what it use to be. Anyone who gets deep into earthbound or wants to move deep within earthbound on a retail level should always keep communication open, constructive or not just be open, and encourage upper management to talk!!!

Communicate more, I wish that home-office would take the time to visit be more personable with more then just employees within arms reach. Ask how we are doing, get to know us outside of emails.

Very easy going and fun environment

I have been working at Earthbound Trading part-time

Pros

fun workplace, laid back, flexible, ok hours

Cons

don't get paid as much as you should, not organized

Organize the company, we didn't have store bags for 5 months and we had to use generic thank you ones

Funnest job that gives serious recognition!

Current Employee - First Assistant Manager

I have been working at Earthbound Trading full-time (less than an year)

Pros

With 6 years of retail experience within another company, earthbound surpassed every expectation I had! I am very appreciated for all of my hard work, team effort, and ideas to better the store I work in, and the district my team is apart of! There are tons of shout outs which is great confidence building both with in the store and for all the company to see! Our district manager is always happy, excited, understanding, very helpful and encourages everyones success down to the associates! Great opportunities to move up without extreme lenghts of time per position. Headquarters is full of real and genuine people that are there to help and listen. The CEO, Steve James himself reached out to the store I'm working in and asked what it was we were doing because we were rocking our numbers! I have never had anyone that high up in a company care or personally recognize a team before. Bottom line is that the managers know how to have fun, build great relationships with team members and customers, all while getting the work done. With good delegation of responsibility and team members willing and eager to learn and help, the store runs like a well oiled machine and it doesnt feel like hard work! Everyone is happy and the customers feel that energy the moment they walk in and let me tell you, they appreciate it! Obviously there are goals to meet as any company has but it's not about making customers feel pressured into a sale. It is about the relationship built with an actual person, getting to know them like a friend and helping them pickout things they'll love through suggestions and knowledge of the products carried in store because the only thing worse than a pushy salesman is leaving the mall not having found what you were looking for. Did I mention that when the store as a whole is successful, everyone gets bonus, not just managers like most companies! I have received bonus every month straight since I joined around the beginning of the year! Their is an amazing employee discount! The coolest and most unique items including clothing and home decor that you can't find anywhere else much less for a better price! Basic payrates for associates and key holders but higher managers are paid better than other retailers with half the work load or crazy deadlines to meet. Not a stressful environment in the least bit!

Cons

Don't work in retail if you are not a people person!
    You will probably spend most of your pay check at the store if you are a shopaholic like me!
    There is no option to order products online to accommodate customers who want something that sold out in store.
    Managers must work every weekend but that comes with any retail job.

More hands on motivation and example setting for stores not achiving goal on a consistent basis. More serious secret shoppers to provide better feedback on necessary store/ team improvements.