Earthbound Trading

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve James

Funnest job that gives serious recognition!

First Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsWith 6 years of retail experience within another company, earthbound surpassed every expectation I had! I am very appreciated for all of my hard work, team effort, and ideas to better the store I work in, and the district my team is apart of! There are tons of shout outs which is great confidence building both with in the store and for all the company to see! Our district manager is always happy, excited, understanding, very helpful and encourages everyones success down to the associates! Great opportunities to move up without extreme lenghts of time per position. Headquarters is full of real and genuine people that are there to help and listen. The CEO, Steve James himself reached out to the store I'm working in and asked what it was we were doing because we were rocking our numbers! I have never had anyone that high up in a company care or personally recognize a team before. Bottom line is that the managers know how to have fun, build great relationships with team members and customers, all while getting the work done. With good delegation of responsibility and team members willing and eager to learn and help, the store runs like a well oiled machine and it doesnt feel like hard work! Everyone is happy and the customers feel that energy the moment they walk in and let me tell you, they appreciate it! Obviously there are goals to meet as any company has but it's not about making customers feel pressured into a sale. It is about the relationship built with an actual person, getting to know them like a friend and helping them pickout things they'll love through suggestions and knowledge of the products carried in store because the only thing worse than a pushy salesman is leaving the mall not having found what you were looking for. Did I mention that when the store as a whole is successful, everyone gets bonus, not just managers like most companies! I have received bonus every month straight since I joined around the beginning of the year! Their is an amazing employee discount! The coolest and most unique items including clothing and home decor that you can't find anywhere else much less for a better price! Basic payrates for associates and key holders but higher managers are paid better than other retailers with half the work load or crazy deadlines to meet. Not a stressful environment in the least bit!

ConsDon't work in retail if you are not a people person!
    You will probably spend most of your pay check at the store if you are a shopaholic like me!
    There is no option to order products online to accommodate customers who want something that sold out in store.
    Managers must work every weekend but that comes with any retail job.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore hands on motivation and example setting for stores not achiving goal on a consistent basis. More serious secret shoppers to provide better feedback on necessary store/ team improvements.

Form your own opion

First Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat porduct
    Benifits
    Atmoshpere
    Cusotmers
    relaxed dress code

ConsHigh turnover-in corporate offices
    work life balance
    leadership-no two Dm's want the same thing
    Lack of Training

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a training manual to discuss role plays so the company as a whole can be on the same page

Great for the first five minutes. A nightmare once reality and the poor management sets in.

Key Holder (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsTh job itself is the most fun you'll ever have. You're surrounded by fun merchandise, and if you take the given sales technique with a grain of salt, you can create some great relationships with really cool customers.

Laid back atmosphere depending on the manager and his/her mood

The pay fits the work. Also a great employee discount

ConsThere is absolutely no accountability or consistency with the management. Promotions and overall conditions in the workplace are based on the rumor-mill and in my case, how good you look in short skirts rather than in your skills. On that note, many managers are either incompetent, or used to playing games with their employees, because that's how they got their position in the first place.

Absolutely terrible training and consistency. Everybody has a different story as to what "company policy" is, even among the management.

Employees and Managers alike are known throughout the company to stab you in the back and steal your sales.

A terrible HR department that says that they're going to help you with whatever issues you have, then they never call you back and nothing changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually listen to your employees, stop the rumor mills. At the very least, sit everyone down in front of those lame workplace ethics videos. Trust me, this place needs it desperately.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

High expectations for an odd shop.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Pensacola, FL

Pros50% off, fun people to interact with.

ConsYou are expected to make $800 in a four hour shift on a Thursday afternoon. Not going to happen on a normal week.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more reasonable about the sales goals.

First time in retail, good place to learn skills.

Key Holder (Former Employee)

Pros-I felt very welcomed by my Fellow employees.
    -The store I worked in had some of the lowest sales goals in our district, but it made it fun for practicing all of the little skills it takes to become a sales person.
    -My Store Manager was so much fun, and always kept us motivated, even if she was highly doubtful that we would make our goals.
    -she took the store very seriously, but somehow infused FUN and Humor into most everything. (Even store meetings.)
    -the company urges you to have fun with your customers. They do not want you to greet the customer with promos/sales.
    -EBT has fine customer service guidelines so long as you really practice the skills they teach you. But if you are childish, and can't do what you're told/taught, you may not do so well in this company.
    -50% discount was great.
    -I got my hours by busting my butt and staying consistent with how much work I could complete in each shift, INcluding my customer service and sales goals.
    -I got my name posted in the store wide newsletter next to an email from a customer, thanking me for the awesome customer service. It was rewarding to be recognized for my hard work:)

ConsI do not know retail other than this store... But cons that stood out to me we're mostly from the operations through corporate BEFORE the in store process.
    -slow computer systems
    -when ordering supplies, they would randomly be out of things that we would need for proper functioning of the store. I.e. Pinter ink.
    -we would get a lot of overstock on ridiculous items that no one wanted.
    -we had VERY little storage space for the amount of merchandise they expect to be held. (And it wasn't just the store I worked in.)
    -then your district manager would have a store visit, and tell you to get your stock room cleaned up, and say 'this can't be here, and that can't be there. I understand there's no space, but figure it out.
    -inventory was a Mess, and completely inaccurate.
    -favoritism was a HUGE downfall, all the way up the ladder.
    -and they make decisions regarding an employee based on sales alone, without considering performance.

I could list on and on about Cons AND Pros... But I suggest working here if you work hard, and need management experience on your resume, or like to work your way up the corporate ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love your company, but...
    Get it together. You have a great thing going, but there's a lot of kinks that need to be worked out, and unfortunately, you will never fully understand the frustrations of working for your company, until you all spend sometime down here on earth, in a store, working with what we have to work with. You'll see that there's a lot of improvements this company needs if it is going to continue to be successful. But! You can do it!!! ;) how's that for a compliment sandwich?

I would not recommend working here

Key Holder (Former Employee)

Pros50% discount, friendly co-worker, great customers, good environment (some days), flexible work hours, good for anybody that has never had a job before

Cons-pay
    -DM micromanaged
    -they never want to move anybody up in the company, or if they do, they make it difficult to move up
    -corporate doesn't appreciate anything you do
    -unrealistic sales goals
    -cheaply made products

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you work on the corporate level, you need to get to know your stores. We work in a very dead mall and they blame the workers for not making the unrealistic sales goals. If somebody is wanting to move up in the store move them up, why would you have a new person come in and have to train they, when you already have somebody who knows how to do everything already. Corporate really needs to open there eyes and realize there mistakes and where they need to improve on.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

One of the worst places ever to work.

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe discount is 50% off.

Cons-Micro managing by DM's
    -Unrealistic sales goals
    -Over bearing customer service technique
    -All products are cheaply made
    -Below average pay
    -Company as a whole is an unorganized mess
    -Late on trend in merchandise

Advice to Senior ManagementI managed an Earthbound for almost 2 years. Within those 2 years, they had fired DOZENS (I'm not exaggerating) Store Managers. I worked at a mall that was dying. We would go hours without having a single customer walk into our store, so obviously we were not making their already unrealistic sales goals. Earthbound is convinced that the staff is always the problem. Not the traffic. Not the mall. Not their cheaply made merchandise. If they decide you are not working out, they WILL find a way to fire you. In the rule book you can be let go for "poor performance" I do not remember exactly what the policy stated, but it was very vague and along the lines of "Failing to perform work in a satisfactory manner." If you are a store manager and have been there for over a year, watch out. Your time is limited. Also, be prepared for their archaic operations procedures.

Hours are unreasonable. Both the store manager and the assistant are required to work a MINIMUM of 8 hours every Friday and Saturday. You are only allowed to have one weekend off IF your store made its prior month. Which is a rare occasion for any store. Store Managers are REQUIRED to work every Sunday.

Okay at entry-level, worse as you move up the ladder; a bumpy ride downhill

Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsMy coworkers and customers were the two best parts of my job. I worked with a fantastic group of women who were enthusiastic, kind, and supportive. I loved making connections with returning customers who really enjoyed the product. Some of the merchandise can be cute, and the discount is quite good for retail (50% off most merchandise).

As a sales associate and key holder in the summer time, this was a fun place to learn about retail. As I moved into an assistant manager position, the job got less fun and more tedious. The store's sales goals are also highly dependent on the weather if you find yourself in an outdoor mall.

ConsHow well the store functions is dependent on the store manager. It can be night and day from one store to another. I was hired into a store with a well-trained EB veteran who knew what she was doing. After she left, the next manager was untrained, disrespectful, and mean. The entire staff eventually quit because of discrimination from and incompetence of the new manager.

In between the two managers, I acted as 1st Assistant while the 1st Assistant acted as manager. We never received any raise or other compensation for keeping the store running with little to no training. We did not receive promised bonuses for making a monthly goal because the company does not think stores without a manager deserve anything. The closer I got to upper management, the more I could see that EB is not a developed and functioning company at its core.

A few more points:
    - Low pay
    - Untrained management
    - Ridiculous, abrasive sales technique
    - Sales goals pulled out of thin air
    - Little work/life balance
    - Hours are terrible: asked for 30-35 hours and received 10-20, asked for 10-25 and received 35-40
    - Encouraged to lie about product information to sell cheaply made merchandise
    - Upper management is disrespectful, unable to admit to mistakes, and uninterested in managing in-store interpersonal problems
    - Terrible POS/credit card machines that were constantly breaking/failing
    - Continuously changing operations
    - Lack of consistency in training

I could go on and on about the many ways EB failed to be a supportive work environment. I very much do not recommend employment here, especially any position higher than key holder.

Advice to Senior Management- Compensate the employees who keep the store running instead of promoting untrained members who scare customers out of the store
    - Train new store managers better (or at all)

Don't waste your time

Keyholder (Current Employee)

Pros-Laid back environment
    -Few, but not all, good co-workers
    -50% off employee discount
    -Enjoyed majority of the product

ConsAlright, so here comes the long list of cons, so lets try to break it down as simple as possible

-Immature management. No manager experience at all. Get's "verbal" warnings for poor performance 5 times but hasn't been terminated at all.
    -Sales get pushed down your throat. No sales, no hours for you or anyone.
    -Sales transform your co-workers into greedy, filthy, lying, "sharks" and will do anything to take any of your "deals" or "sales".
    -Everything is taken way too seriously for a very small company and they ALWAYS expect for you to make goal everyday and every week, even though retail is UNPREDICTABLE.
    -Disorganized company in general. Whenever updates come in, there is always some sort of mistake made or something is just totally off and doesn't make sense at all.
    -My personal experience, I do not get treated fairly AT ALL and my manager plays "favorites" and listens to any white lies my co-workers make about me, JUST so they can get me in trouble on PURPOSE and degrade any hard work I put into this store.
    -Little pay little hours for so much work and responsibility that is put onto your shoulders
    -DM will criticize every little bitty thing you do and say no matter what (and usually disrespectful too)
    -No recognition of hard work, effort, or make any really big sales

And there might be some other information I am forgetting, but this is my personal experience and other peoples reviews are very similar to what I am currently going through. It was my favorite store in the world that I loved so dearly for many years has now completely changed my perspective around of the company. So please, do not waste your time here if you want REAL hours, REAL pay, and a REAL work environment. You'll find much better opportunity than here, I promise.

Advice to Senior ManagementQUIT SITTING AROUND AND ACT LIKE REAL MANAGEMENT. Don't baby around and actually get some real serious training done to those who are really qualified to be true, good leaders. Never waste your time on someone who has never got any experience and is immature. Quit having a infinite amount of verbal warnings over and over again. Take real action, even if it is termination. Someone out there with real determination and true leadership skills deserve the position more than someone who doesn't know what the hell what they're doing.

Not what you'd expect. A lot of lying.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Olympia, WA

ProsLove most of the products. 50% off was awesome

ConsWay too sales driven. It's like being on commission without getting paid for it. (except hookas and salt stones which has a very minor payout) This is basically a gift store; you can't just convince someone to buy a bali mask or hookah. There was so much pressure to constantly bombard the customers with attention. Most people just want to have space and shop. I was forced to lie about products such as the Himalayan salt stone lamp. It's been proven to be nothing more than a pretty glowing rock. It doesn't have any legitimate health benefits. I felt horrible having to convince people to buy them who wanted to invest for real breathing problems. We were also told to tell people that we are a fair trade store when we are NOT. Clothing was way too overpriced. You can find most of their clothing styles at Goodwill for cheap. Management was very immature and had an obvious attitude problem. TONS of theft.

Advice to Senior ManagementChill out on the sales pressure. The whole formula you shove down our throats for selling is ridiculous and annoying to the customer. Customer service is great but most people just want space to peruse at their own pace. This isn't a car dealership. The way the employees carryout themselves clash with the vibe of the store. And do some research on how effective those salt stones really are.

Worked for Earthbound Trading? Contribute to the Community!