Earthbound Trading

Updated January 4, 2015
Updated January 4, 2015
2.9

Steve James

They are getting away from their roots and becoming just another cooperate ruled sham.

Former Employee - Store Manner in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Store Manner in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Earthbound Trading full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My pros were when I first started the company was small and you didn't feel like a number or just another employee. The CEO have frequent phone calls and even visits in occasion. We sold great products that customers enjoyed and we're educational in ways of other cultures.

Cons

Slowly in an effort to build up the company it became more and more corperate. Less personalization in your own store and less communication from higher management. Buyers changed and soon the unique products that we use to carry went away and replaced by new products that were cheaply made and often came in moldy or broken upon arrival. It's went from a unique botique to a common novelty store.

My advice... don't frequently work over your minimum hours. They don't appreciate it and never take it into consideration. Don't ask managers who've been there for many years how it was before, because it was better before. Treat a position there no different than any other retail position.

Fun and relaxed place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in South Lake Tahoe, CA

I have been working at Earthbound Trading

Pros

The people who I have a chance to work with are amazing and unique yet somehow we all get along well. The environment is fun and makes coming into work not so draining. I love the products and the pressure free environment as well.

Cons

Getting hours can be difficult during slow parts of the year but it's the perfect job for a student or a fun second job you look forward to going to.

No advice, Rebecca does an amazing job at leading her team. Motivational by example and easy to befriend. Has a very positive way of handling issues or concerns.

Best retail career!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Earthbound Trading full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone in this company cares!!! Every single time I have had an issue it has always been met with "how can we do better?" Whether it be an issue in my store or something we would like to change as a company. We listen to our customers and employees and genuinely care. The President and the Vice President of the company come into my store fairly often and they will ask even my newest,most part time employee how they like working here, what can we change, etc. I have been on retail over 10 yrs. And have never experienced that.

Cons

The biggest issue is that I do wish I could pay some of my employees a bit more. We do have an awesome bonus structure (yes,even for part time sales associates) and my store makes it almost every month, but we aren't that competitive prices in pay vs. Other stores that in my mall.

You guys are doing a great job and this company is going in a great direction. My biggest piece of advice is do not change course, keep the amazing positive outlook you have.

Fun environment; sometimes difficult to make daily goal.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Earthbound Trading part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment. I love my co-workers. A lot of the people that come in are really nice and you can strike up interesting conversations with them. Pretty easy-going.

Cons

It only pays minimum wage; wouldn't recommend a sales associate position unless you needed extra money or if you worked 25-30 hours a week. Sometimes it's hard to make your daily goal depending on how busy your store is. The staff was a little too small for a while and it became difficult when someone was sick and couldn't get their shift covered.

Continue motivating your employees in a positive way; it boosts morale! (Advice to corporate: raise the base pay!)

One of my favorite jobs, but pretty unorganized management

Current Employee - Key Holder in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Earthbound Trading part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved selling the unique items to customers. The relaxed atmosphere was great. I actually made a lot of life long friends through this job, and made friends with regular customers who would come in. I love anthropology, so that made my job a lot of fun even though some of the stuff is actually just cheap manufactured junk.

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals, unorganized scheduling, too many total overhauls of store inventory.

We switched management a little too much, and the rules changed too much to actually get something long term accomplished.

Fun people, boring work

Former Employee - Key Holder in Durango, CO
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Durango, CO

I worked at Earthbound Trading part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, fun people that visit the store, discount

Cons

Upper management was a joke, low pay and very tedious work.

Let each store have some creative freedom

Need to get it together

Current Employee - First Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - First Assistant Manager

I have been working at Earthbound Trading (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not much to say. Wish corporate was more involved. It's not a hard job. It's ok if you are a student or someone looking for 10 or 15 hrs a week.

Cons

Hard to get goals. Can't keep a Store Manger, been through 4 or 5 in a 3year period. No real incentive. Pay is bad and no hours. Can't live off 15 hrs a week. Product is cheap.

Pay more, give part time paid vacation be more involved

Key Holder

I have been working at Earthbound Trading

Pros

I love the fun atmosphere at Earthbound. I worked here for over two years and through all the turnovers always had a great time. Our team worked hard but kept a laid back atmosphere. If you're looking for a part-time job during college, I would definitely recommend applying.

Cons

As I previously stated, I worked here for over two years and was an exemplary employee and never received a raise. There were bonuses that were promised if our store met sales goals that we met and then never received. Several of our employees, including me, showed passion for staying with the company and applying for corporate positions once we graduated college. However, after two years of reaching out to corporate for information about internships (free skilled labor!), sending new social media ideas and generally showing an interest in growing the company with no response, we all got the sense that this is company that is apathetic about bringing in new, passionate talent. I will be applying elsewhere after graduation.

This is a fun company to work for, but don't forget to appreciate the people who work hard for you. They will find another company that appreciates their drive.

Wonderful place, horrible company policies

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Springfield, MO

I worked at Earthbound Trading part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Diverse cultural items
    Interesting facts about the items

Cons

Sales goals too high
    Items fall apart easily
    Company chooses quantity over quality

Re-think your goals when your product prices don't reflect said goal.

A learning experience

I have been working at Earthbound Trading part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company is constantly growing! They definitely have come a long way and its good to see the company thrive in the best way they know how! so proud of all the accomplishments.

Cons

Lack of communication. Within the company growing so fast the focus on the employees has gone away from what it use to be. Anyone who gets deep into earthbound or wants to move deep within earthbound on a retail level should always keep communication open, constructive or not just be open, and encourage upper management to talk!!!

Communicate more, I wish that home-office would take the time to visit be more personable with more then just employees within arms reach. Ask how we are doing, get to know us outside of emails.