Earthbound Trading

Steve James

1. Awesome work environment

Former Employee - First Assistant Manager in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - First Assistant Manager in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Earthbound Trading full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great product
    Really cared about associates
    Wanted a fun atmosphere in the store

Cons

Didn't pay very well
    Company wasn't very structured

2. it was a job

Former Employee - Keyholder
    Former Employee - Keyholder

I worked at Earthbound Trading full-time (less than a year)

Pros

an okay place to learn and then get out

Cons

company doesnt have a set of standards as far as clothing, breaks, etc so you can go to one location or another and you have a totally different environment. they will do whatever they can to gget rid of you and make it look okay on paper and they gossip a lot within the company about employees its like high school with a crappy paycheck and even more asinine rules. the paper trail is a joke. its slowly become a hippy spencers. the ceo sent a statement to everyone over christmas about a product that was demeaning to homosexuals as a stereotype where he was upset with the employees for expressing their disaproval and then he lied about the product information saying that the people who developed it were gay (it's made in china. it's a mouth spray they bought wholesale from a novelty wholeseller). the product is getting really cheep speaking of which. its all chinese made crap we make up culturally significant lies about to sell it ignorant young people. the companies standards are horrible. if you need a job its okay but if you have any values get out soon and dont look back

Advice to Management

I really dont see this company changing its colors any tme soon i dont have any advice except maybe develop some integrity

They are getting away from their roots and becoming just another cooperate ruled sham.

Former Employee - Store Manner in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Store Manner in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Earthbound Trading full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My pros were when I first started the company was small and you didn't feel like a number or just another employee. The CEO have frequent phone calls and even visits in occasion. We sold great products that customers enjoyed and we're educational in ways of other cultures.

Cons

Slowly in an effort to build up the company it became more and more corperate. Less personalization in your own store and less communication from higher management. Buyers changed and soon the unique products that we use to carry went away and replaced by new products that were cheaply made and often came in moldy or broken upon arrival. It's went from a unique botique to a common novelty store.

Advice to Management

My advice... don't frequently work over your minimum hours. They don't appreciate it and never take it into consideration. Don't ask managers who've been there for many years how it was before, because it was better before. Treat a position there no different than any other retail position.

5. Fun and relaxed place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in South Lake Tahoe, CA

I have been working at Earthbound Trading

Pros

The people who I have a chance to work with are amazing and unique yet somehow we all get along well. The environment is fun and makes coming into work not so draining. I love the products and the pressure free environment as well.

Cons

Getting hours can be difficult during slow parts of the year but it's the perfect job for a student or a fun second job you look forward to going to.

Advice to Management

No advice, Rebecca does an amazing job at leading her team. Motivational by example and easy to befriend. Has a very positive way of handling issues or concerns.

Best retail career!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Earthbound Trading full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone in this company cares!!! Every single time I have had an issue it has always been met with "how can we do better?" Whether it be an issue in my store or something we would like to change as a company. We listen to our customers and employees and genuinely care. The President and the Vice President of the company come into my store fairly often and they will ask even my newest,most part time employee how they like working here, what can we change, etc. I have been on retail over 10 yrs. And have never experienced that.

Cons

The biggest issue is that I do wish I could pay some of my employees a bit more. We do have an awesome bonus structure (yes,even for part time sales associates) and my store makes it almost every month, but we aren't that competitive prices in pay vs. Other stores that in my mall.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing a great job and this company is going in a great direction. My biggest piece of advice is do not change course, keep the amazing positive outlook you have.

7. Fun environment; sometimes difficult to make daily goal.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Earthbound Trading part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment. I love my co-workers. A lot of the people that come in are really nice and you can strike up interesting conversations with them. Pretty easy-going.

Cons

It only pays minimum wage; wouldn't recommend a sales associate position unless you needed extra money or if you worked 25-30 hours a week. Sometimes it's hard to make your daily goal depending on how busy your store is. The staff was a little too small for a while and it became difficult when someone was sick and couldn't get their shift covered.

Advice to Management

Continue motivating your employees in a positive way; it boosts morale! (Advice to corporate: raise the base pay!)

8. One of my favorite jobs, but pretty unorganized management

Current Employee - Key Holder in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Earthbound Trading part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved selling the unique items to customers. The relaxed atmosphere was great. I actually made a lot of life long friends through this job, and made friends with regular customers who would come in. I love anthropology, so that made my job a lot of fun even though some of the stuff is actually just cheap manufactured junk.

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals, unorganized scheduling, too many total overhauls of store inventory.

Advice to Management

We switched management a little too much, and the rules changed too much to actually get something long term accomplished.

9. Fun people, boring work

Former Employee - Key Holder in Durango, CO
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Durango, CO

I worked at Earthbound Trading part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, fun people that visit the store, discount

Cons

Upper management was a joke, low pay and very tedious work.

Advice to Management

Let each store have some creative freedom

10. Need to get it together

Current Employee - First Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - First Assistant Manager

I have been working at Earthbound Trading (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not much to say. Wish corporate was more involved. It's not a hard job. It's ok if you are a student or someone looking for 10 or 15 hrs a week.

Cons

Hard to get goals. Can't keep a Store Manger, been through 4 or 5 in a 3year period. No real incentive. Pay is bad and no hours. Can't live off 15 hrs a week. Product is cheap.

Advice to Management

Pay more, give part time paid vacation be more involved

Wonderful place, horrible company policies

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Springfield, MO

I worked at Earthbound Trading part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Diverse cultural items
    Interesting facts about the items

Cons

Sales goals too high
    Items fall apart easily
    Company chooses quantity over quality

Advice to Management

Re-think your goals when your product prices don't reflect said goal.