Earthwatch

Updated Jun 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Larry Mason

Admirable and passionate mission, laid-back and fun work environment

Boston, MA

ProsI worked as an intern for a few months. Great work environment and nice people who are really passionate about ecology, the environment, and getting citizens involved.

ConsOther than it being an unpaid internship, my only drawback about Earthwatch is that as an employee, it seems that you are not really directly involved in anything scientific, it is more just coordination.

Soon to be gone....

Boston, MA

ProsStaff is kind and enjoyable

ConsManagement and C-Leadership are a bunch of baffoons. Its time to have a clean sweep from the board to the leadership if this small dwindling organziation is to survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign - make way for new blood and ideas.

Good people, restrictive organization

Intern (Former Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

Pros- good work
    - fun staff

Cons- unless you're one of the organization's scientists or directors, there is little to no involvement in actual environmental work - it is mainly coordination.
    - the work is "coordination" - which is not usually what's advertised on the organization's job posts.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to lower staff more often

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, bad management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEarthwatch is a mission driven organization with solid environmental research. It's one of the few places with travel opportunities and employs some really great people.

ConsThere is virtually no HR department, so it's nearly impossible to get anyone to listen to you. The leadership is nonexistent in some departments, and people are really left to manage themselves. Due to a lack of management, there isn't much opportunity for growth because you don't get recognized for hard work. Also, lack of management leads to people feeling overworked. Due to these issues Earthwatch has awful retention rates. Don't expect a raise anytime soon, because you're not going to get it.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't value your employees, they will not stay at your organization.

not sure what this means

ProsGreat mission, not much more to say

ConsLow salaries, very limited development opportunities

Dynamic international non-profit with powerful mission

Director (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsIncredibly smart and committed employees who share the same values. The most common thing former employees say is that they miss the people.

ConsFinancial instability creates a stressful work environment and can get in the way of employees doing their best work. Staff are asked to juggle many responsibilities which creates conflicting priorities.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a financial safety net for the organization and a sustainable business model so that the mission can thrive.

Low stress enjoyable place to work

Facilities Clerk (Former Employee)
    Maynard, MA

ProsThey were a nice non profit company While I was there everyone was getting along fine. It didn't feel like a high pressure environment. They have offices in the UK, Australia Japan and were working on a China office when I left ,due to the recession

ConsThey need to rely on donations to survive so when the economy is down they have trouble

Has heart, passion, drive and a history of success but lots of turn over and consistent change

Boston, MA

ProsThe people are the best part of this job. Really genuine co-workers who are pleasant to work with.
    The mission is a strong driving force of Earthwatch and so you know that good day or bad, you are all there to make a difference in scientific research, conservation, and sustainability. Sometimes researchers come to give us a talk about their work or we hear from employees who have been on expeditions so you are consistently reminded of why you do the work you do.
    The office space is very nice. It's bright and open with large windows along one wall and the cubicles aren't really cubicles. Each typically has only one high wall so it doesn't feel claustrophobic or dark. Also, even though the office isn't downtown (it's near Harvard) it is located along a few major bus lines, walkable distance to the T, and there's a large parking lot.
    It's an international organization so you get to interact with people from around the world.

ConsLike any non-profit, there is a lot of turnover and a struggle to meet financial goals and allocate resources effectively. So you have to be a patient and resourceful person who is very adaptable to changes large and small.

Frustrating, weak and emotional leadership

Development (Former Employee)

ProsMission provides opportunity for wealthy people to connect with science.

ConsPay is much lower than other organizations and benefits are restricted.

Advice to Senior ManagementStudy salary compensations for other organizations. If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Worked for Earthwatch? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Earthwatch reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Earthwatch CEO Larry Mason. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Earthwatch employees.