EasCare

CEO

You'll Work Hard

Former Employee - EMT Basic in Dorchester, MA
    Former Employee - EMT Basic in Dorchester, MA

I worked at EasCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working here, you will inevitably learn much about the medical industry in general. You'll get to travel throughout Eastern Massachusetts as they are not restricted to any one city or town with their calls. Those wanting to become a nurse, doctor, PA, etc. will find this is often a good starting point. You will meet people from all different walks of life (be it coworkers, patients, or hospital staff members). And obviously, those seeking a life long career in EMS will gain some experience here, too (or perhaps will find a home here, not sure).

Getting to cruise around half the day can be pretty cool because it's a constant change of scenery. All of the paperwork (patient care reports) are computerized, which I happen to like. You will get some emergencies but you will often transfer patients from one health care facility to another (or from a private residence to a health care facility or vice versa). Geriatric patients will be your typical patient, but this not the case with every single patient. At the time of this writing, EasCare does not have a 911 contract with any municipality but does do back up calls for Boston EMS sometimes.

The orientation program, getting you situated, and getting your uniforms issued and such, is pretty organized and effective. You will also get a chance to meet other new people to the workplace through this program. They even set you up to do most of your continuing education right off the bat so they don't have to chase you down for it later. I was impressed with orientation.

This company is a growing company. When I worked there, it seemed like every time I turned around, they had a new contract with a nursing home or rehab or something. They have pretty much grown steadily since they began in 1998. Without looking back, I guess. Because the company is expanding and always thriving, you can expect to get some overtime if that is what you are looking for.

Cons

They don't seem to really care that you don't get a lunch break (or seldomly get a lunch break). If you're on for a ten hour shift, guess what? You will work hard and steadily for most of that ten hour shift. (You'll likely get a 30 minute to 1 hour period to sit around in a parking lot every once in a while. It depends on the day). On most days, you'll have to sneak in a sandwich or granola bar whenever you can. Considering the fair amount of heavy lifting that you do, the long shifts that you work, the days without much of a break, and the dedication that will be required of you (to patients and staff alike), the pay is kind of unreasonable.

When I worked here, I came home with a sore back rather frequently. And sometimes, just when you think your day is over they give you another call. (If the call is close to the time that you clock out, they are usually generous enough to give you the option to take the call or not. However, if there is only 30 to 40 minutes left to your shift and you get a call, you will likely have to take it and many calls are more than one hour long). A safe bet is to plan on getting out late. Often. They do warn you about this orientation, though.

The workplace (like many workplaces) is kind of cliquey. If you haven't worked there for six months yet, don't expect your fellow coworkers to embrace you with open arms. Get used to being on a truck all day because you only really see your workplace when you clock in and clock out. I think stair chairs are the absolute worst. And you will get some. Learning how to fill out the patient care reports can be tricky at first because there is alot of detailed information that you must enter in and you have to remember to get signatures.

If you haven't worked for another EMS company, and you are fresh out of school, you may find the stretcher a little tricky to operate. At least I did. But honestly, it just takes a little bit of getting used to. But this reminds me, sometimes the equipment at this company is sub par. In the morning (or whenever you start your shift), You expect a well stocked truck with well maintained equipment, and this is (unfortunately) not always the case.

Please stop deducting from the pay raises based on the smallest of infractions. The pay is already very low to begin with. It just adds insult to injury, really. The base pay could be better.

Also, I know the mechanics do a good job maintaing the trucks and doing preventive maintenance on the stretchers and such but, honestly, we really could use some nicer equipment. I do acknowledge, however, that the equipment is sometimes abused by the EMT's and it's not necessarily the fault of management. People should really treat the equipment like it's their own.